Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Root Bear posted:

"I bought this truck not long ago and I get a bad clunking noise when I put in 4-wheel drive. Think it might need a u-joint or two."

:cripes:

E: This was just the right side. The left side u-joint was a bit worn as well, but still all there.

yikes. Just imagine that shaft bouncing in and out at double whatever speed the truck was moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DefaultPeanut posted:

Horrible engineering failure?

The entire building has settled around that hump which used to be the footings for an old highway overpass. Could this have been dealt with before constructing the site ~4 years ago?

Yes. A soils report should have indicated that some settlement was expected, and that the building should either be built on piers, or over-excavated and re-compacted or soil amended. Comparing the soils report to the as-built survey indicating a previous overpass which would have been very solid and compacted by years of gravity and load, that should have been completely removed or excavated around it and compacted entirely.

Horrible engineering failure. I hope that building is not intended for any manufacturing, or that's a serious claim. Otherwise, remove the hump and pour a new section of slab, the building likely won't go much further in it's life.

Edit: or build an indoor go-kart track with terrain change.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Kill-9 posted:

The nut is rather easy to get to on the RRC with an adjustable wrench. I know on the 90 it was a right bitch to get to without the correct tool. The hard part is holding the pulley in place while cranking on it. Again, easier with the right tool. It got a healthy does of anti-sieze when it was reassembled this time. Nevermore.

What about an impact?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Slavvy posted:

How does anyone with a proper spanner set need one of these? It doesn't seem anywhere near as useful as actual vice grips, and can't do anything that channel locks/proper spanner/decent sized normal adjustable can't do.

I came to ask the exact same question. I can't think of a job where I didn't have the right sized wrench or socket to break it free.

Edit:apparently I type slower when eating a popsicle and typing with one hand.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Geirskogul posted:

DO NOT USE HOT WATER!

We need to determine the exact level of thermal shock that a windshield can handle.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That bolt is comically long.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

drat hose from the grease gun. After I sung it's good graces even.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I thought that was some sort of sedimentary rock formed by unfiltered tank rust.

Wood to float the float?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

SyHopeful posted:

Namechange to Slim Slippins.

Clutch slippins.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Rorac posted:

:stare:

What exactly causes this? And what make/model van is that? It looks similar to mine.

Edit: I get that there was fuel getting dumped into the carb and such, but all that combustion should happen in the engine, right?

I wonder too, and present a hypothesis. Dump fuel to the intake manifold, making the air fuel mixture too rich to ignite while cranking and the fuel blows by and into the hot exhaust where it ignites.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Bajaha posted:

Mid grade is just pumped from both regular and premium tanks, mixed at the pump. Definitely has ethanol if either regular or premium does. Don't think I've ever heard of a gas station having a dedicated tank for mid grade.

You just reminded me to check pure-gas.org. I just found a station along my route that sells all grades ethanol free. Looks like I know where I'll be stopping on my way home this week. Silt, CO.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Preoptopus posted:

How much effort is getting the cab off? Ive been tempted to do so on a few v10 jobs but scared I would open a can of worms.

It certainly looks like a paradise for working conditions. Although absolute pain in the rear end I'm sure. Even on my 70's IH it would take an entire day to disconnect everything, although that may be rust related.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ferremit posted:

Bought a set of tyres and rims purely for the rims (got some BFG AT's to drop onto it to save my poor Toyo MT's from getting destroyed on the daily commute) and the chinese "Sailun Terramax H/T's" lasted less than 24hrs and 15km before getting a fatal puncture...

(pliers for scale)

In other news, its a pain in the dick to swap a good brand AT onto a steel rim with tyre irons.

Don't toy with us like that scale nonsense! My wife ran over a set of pliers like that, I know because one jaw remained in the tire.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Only one thing to do now: sick burnouts :roadkill:.

(I see now that that is a front wheel)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

RandomPauI posted:

Will people get into restoring Saturns?

I do know someone who got his hands on a lot of brand new Saturn motors from the 90s, so.... Maybe?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Vindolanda posted:

I can't find (because I'm drunk) the original post, but whoever said that those guys had plumbing rage was right - the last time that video came up someone mentioned that they were supposed to be installed on sewers to prevent clothing from going down. I think malls use them in case people try to flush their original clothes when shoplifting or something. That's why they did the wet blanket test.

Yes! They're called Muffin Monsters, and I'm familiar with one installed at a jail since inmates think flushing their clothes down the drain to cause flooding is a laugh riot.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
From an invoice I got for forklift repair.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

genuinebald posted:

Yeah, I saw people ramming a screwdriver through the filter, but you are supposed to throw it away afterwards... not reinstall it.

This was done with malicious intent.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fart Pipe posted:

My old International and my buddys Ford flahead both have timing gears and they dont make any noise. I think those aftermarket ones that sound like blowers are cut to make sound on purpose.

They're likely helical cut like the ones on my 345, you know that helical gears are pretty quiet versus straight cut. The ones for Chevy's that I've seen are pairs of straight cut gears that hold between the cam and crank gears. A cursory check at JEGS shows some that are made in a 'quieter' and 'louder' formation, but both straight cut gears and will be noisy. I wonder why there aren't any helical cut sets, perhaps the geometry doesn't work?

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Performance-Gear-Drives/755534/10002/-1

oh what do you know someone beat me to it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

With helical cut don't you just need a thrust bearing to keep the cam from going walkabout? I know on 4.0s they put a thrust peg in the end toward the timing cover that is pressurized by an oil galley in the cam, keeping the cam forced toward the back of the motor, where it spins against a thrust bearing.

Interesting, I haven't been deeper than the valve train in mine but that all makes sense. Also explains why you can't buy a helical aftermarket gearset for a small block Chevy.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

bobbilljim posted:

Sorry to derail further but does this go beyond the normal knock sensing stuff that cars do to switch between different octane rated petrol?

Related to a horrible design failure, one of our work pickups, a '14 Tundra was confused as to what fuel it was running, and was feeding the engine Gasoline like it was E-85. The local dealer asked 'did you fill it up and then hit full throttle real soon?' well, yes, since we are working in a small town that's basically the only fill-ups we do. He said that will often trick the sensor into thinking it's E-85 and it will run terribly until the next fill-up or longer. They re programmed the computer to perhaps have a higher limit before making the change, but it was a confusing and annoying problem to have. The truck was very difficult to start since it was flooding constantly.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

bolind posted:

What in the every loving gently caress...?

I'm not entirely sure a receiver hitch is designed for torque loads like that. On either axis.

Oh it's probably built for a Class V 3" receiver for use on a goddamn dump truck. Or the weight was not even considered. I really want to see the deflection in the main tube at 75mph over a marked 'DIP'. Like from a GoPro - not driving behind.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

Uhhh, as an electrical engineer with extensive experience working on a variety of automotive electrical systems from several brands, who now works professionally in the automotive industry... yeah that's pretty common. Sorry to burst your bubble.

The reason? N channel MOSFETs and NPN transistors are easier to make, cheaper, for the same current carrying capability; it's safer (worstcase a short to ground will turn the device on, rather than blowing a fuse, destroying a driver transistor, or melting a wire); there are grounds available everywhere in the vehicle. For instance, a 1973 CJ5 does this because the horn switch wire actually runs up the center of the steering column and down through the steering box, and the other contact is just... the steering wheel. A 1994 Justy does the same thing, for the same reason (except there is a slipring and a spring loaded contact.) Most 90s jeeps I'm aware of do this, at least on the switch side, the horn is run by a relay which switches the positive wire to the horn.

You can buy two terminal horns almost anywhere anyways, they're super common.

Still a little strange though, there doesn't seem to be a relay in the system, you get two wires to the horn, one from the fuse and the other leads to the button. Even the International had a relay in 72.

Switched ground works great for the dome light though. Adding my door switch was a breeze.

All of this reminds me of wanting a passenger side horn button with a driver's side lockout toggle.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Godholio posted:

I have never seen one of those before, and now I want one.

Goddamnit.

Well, it is an achievable goal in life depending on how picky you are.

http://www.parkssuperior.com/car_listing.htm?cc=Pre-Owned&ct=Flower%20Car

There's one up now that is really a mechanical failure because it's awfully done.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
For months lol. I was sure it said miles and had to read it three times.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My favorite from my trucks manual:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I still don't understand.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Uthor posted:

The pole is probably being held up by the wires at the top.

That's what I figured, I just couldn't see any in the backgrounds.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Powershift posted:

I've been wanting to do this for a while, 1960-1990 firetrucks come up all the time with 30,000kms on them, and go for peanuts.

https://www.rbauction.com/1958-CHEVROLET-SPARTAN-80-Series-Thibault?invId=9293032&id=ar&auction=EDMONTON-AB-2016306

I just watched an auction of city busses go for $5k each, one of them was only $1,600.

Which I'm sure is a terrible idea for obvious reasons but I don't have any other outlets to share that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Jonny Nox posted:

How much did you pay for yours?

Why buy the cow when I can get the milk for free?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The most broken down car I've seen on the side of the road.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Godholio posted:

It only applies to newer, fuel injected vehicles because the computer cuts fuel. But neutral/idle in a carbed vehicle is using less gas than engine braking, for the exact reason you bring up.

But the throttle plates are closed either way, and the power valve if so equipped won't be open, so I feel like engine braking and idling should be close of not equal on fuel use.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'm really surprised this many people remember robie.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Did you guys see my camshaft bearing?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Woof. What was that out of?

1972 International 345, v8. Apparently a common problem. 1,3 and 5 looked like that, (#1 pictured). 2 and 4 were fine though. Found pieces in the oil pan, was reported by Blackstone, bearing material anyway.

Obviously replaced all of them.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

xzzy posted:

The best is when you talk to people owning those vehicles. The reasoning is always "well I wanted something that was safer for the winter" or some variant along those lines.

And they are always the morons creeping along at 5mph the instant there's been a snowflake sighting or digging their vehicle out of the ditch they got stuck in.

Sometimes I try to tell them to spend their money on better tires instead but we all know that never goes anywhere.

I actually have one and it is a beast with good winter tires on. I have another for work and it's awful in all season tires.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Speed handle after starting by hand for install. Or start with speed handle but go backwards for a turn or so to find the start.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Beach Bum posted:

I didn't know what a speed wrench was until today. That's a nifty looking tool that I just ordered. I figure 1/2" is fine, right?

Same as others I got 1/2" since I use mostly 1/2" on my pickup, very good for repetitive tasks. And cheap!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I don't know anything about anything but here's some twisted metal:

https://imgur.com/gallery/bXJup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

joat mon posted:

Awesome mechanical success: Just used the bread trick to remove a pilot bearing. I can't stop giggling like a little kid at the ease, beauty and absurdity of it all.

I'm upset that I just learned about this and also according to YouTube I've seen that video before.