Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Geirskogul posted:

What is it with sisters? My sister (four years younger), has done the same thing to almost every single car I've bought her (because, until she turned 19-20 and moved away, I was a sucker and played the "good big brother" to her).

First car: 1995 Geo Metro sedan (manual). Death: burned out the clutch going up a grade, crashed into a ditch backwards. Aftermath: My dad took the steering wheel, and we towed it out of the ditch and pushed it 2 miles home downhill in my 1988 Delta 88 (with both front wheels severely off-kilter). At night.

Second car: 1996 Saturn SL1 (auto). Death: 3 months in (day after a complete overhaul by me, valves, spark plugs, oil/transmission filters, new water pump, transmission valve body, and belts). It burst a coolant hose and lost all coolant in the morning, but she continued to drive it all day, as a pizza delivery driver :supaburn:. Aftermath: It only retained 2nd gear after her massive overheating, so after about a year we drove it in 2nd to the junkyard. They gave us $200 :smithicide:

Third car: 1989 Chevy Corsica (auto). Death: 7 months in, she got drunk/high and backed it full-speed into the (now dead) parked Saturn SL1. Aftermath: we towed the Corsica off of the Saturn's hood (I did say full speed), and drove it with the Saturn to the junkyard. The Corsica crab-walked all over the road with two off-kilter donuts on the rear tires.

Fourth car: 199X (can't remember) Chevy Astro van (auto). Death: 6 months in, she ran it out of oil for the final time. The first few times, it was a loose or forgotten oil drainplug, but the final time was a broken oil dipstick tube on the oil pan, 30 miles away from civilization. She even managed to throw a rod through the block, which means it probably ran out of oil before she even left. Aftermath: I rode in the Astro while it was towed by my dad the 30 miles back to town (straight to the junkyard) by my Delta 88. No power brakes and no power steering are very scary with an ancient van.

Fifth car: 1994 Plymouth Acclaim. I, being recently unemployed in Idaho and she being in need of a car in Tacoma, gave my Acclaim to her in January 2011. I had very recently (within 1,000 miles) done a complete overhaul of the 3.0 Mitsubishi V6 (valve seats/stem seals, water pump, timing belt, oil filter, trans filter, distributor, starter, fuel filter, etc etc), but since she was in need of a car and I wasn't, I drove it over to Seattle/Tacoma and "sold" it to her for $100 (because I'm a Big drat Hero like that). She hasn't killed it outright yet, but she's come close. She called me once to let me know that she locked the keys inside the car at her work with the car running (:pwn:), and that it would be eight hours or so until either a locksmith or her boyfriend could come and unlock it, and the asked if the car would be "okay." It ran out of gas after six hours or so (she never fills it), and very soon after that incident it required a new fuel pump.

I've come to terms that I will never see that car again :smith:.

What is is with you? She keeps destroying the cars because you keep buying them for or giving them to her and she has no reason to give a poo poo about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It does that here in VA too...
I was actually hoping for more of a 'BECAUSE RACECAR' response.

Now, It gets hot as gently caress in VA during the summer. But I'd rather sweat than lose 10hp and 5+mpg by turning on the A/C. Besides, I love having the windows open.
I DO use my defroster but I'm pretty sure the windshield and floor functions don't use my compressor at all. 2000 2.5L ranger. please correct me if I'm wrong.

You're losing the same fuel economy by running with the windows open due to the drag introduced by wind coming in the cabin.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

MadScientistWorking posted:

Its pretty much a scam. A good air compressor is going to pumping in dry air regardless of whether or not you're atmospheric air.

Only if you've got a drier in the line after the compressor. Water will still collect on hot & humid or rainy days even in new compressors.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

D C posted:

Your brake disc pressing on the calliper is the only thing keeping that wheel attached....

and the teeny tiny screw holding the rotor to the hub.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Savington posted:

um

:stare:

finally, an actual warped brake rotor

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

Noise going over bumps you say?

:stare:

Last summer I had a car where the entire strut mount had separated itself from the car and naturally they didn't want to fix it. Way to go Revere.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
2012 Kia Sedona with less than 1,200 miles. No other damage.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Beach Bum posted:

Someone tapped that with a MIG, didn't they.

if I remember correctly there was an electrical short that hit the brake lines and did that

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

SwashedBuckles posted:

Is there a DOT or similar requirement for every car to have a spare? That's the only way a setup like you've described would make sense to me, as if you ever actually had to use the spare you would be cursing Porsche's engineers. Maybe they assume if you get a flat in one of their cars you'll just call a tow and take it to the dealer.

No. Some newer Hyundais have no spare tire nor do they have runflats.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Brigdh posted:

Probably comes with fix-a-flat then

The one we had in the shop didn't have that either, but it may have been removed and misplaced by the owner.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
proper wheel torque: very important

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Tactical Bonnet posted:

How on earth could improper torque cause that kind of failure?

It probably couldn't.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Memento1979 posted:

One that I thought about going into the thread for was this:

How the gently caress does that happen to the inside of the tyre?

they probably hit a pothole which caused a split in the inner rubber and belts beneath the outer rubber layer, which then goitered out from the air pressure

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Splizwarf posted:

Mostly because unlike shooting it, which you can do from behind sandbags, dicking with the valve involves time spent standing next to the bomb.

If its just sitting there posing for pictures like that you should be perfectly safe in removing the valve core.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Brigdh posted:

The smaller holes are not threaded. They are used to hold the rotor to the hub in the factory. What am I missing here?

On many rotors which have two holes like that there are threads in them and two bolts can be used to pry a stuck rotor from the hub.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Sockington posted:

No, most times the HUB is threaded and the rotor is not. That's why the factory counter-sunk screws have to be ground flat on the hub after you drill out the heads. They seize in the hub threads.

I know what you're thinking of but thats not what I was thinking of. There are many rotors with threaded holes for removal purposes, lots of drums have them too.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
you can't see the brake failure but the end result is impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIYFTDbW22s

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
He lived but with 1 broken arm and 2 broken legs.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Motronic posted:

I'm not talking about your car or the fact that you somehow think studs break in a manner where there are enough threads to put another lug nut back on. I'm talking about the one belonging to the DixielandDelight.

Studs can break like that and I've seen it a couple times but its certainly not common.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Pictures from on the job with customer complaints underneath.

"Brakes feel funny."

"Bumped a curb, will it be fixed by the end of the day?"

"Vehicle cranks but engine does not start. Battery?"

"Left rear tire slow leak."

No complaint, just something I noticed during a normal check before aligning it. It's one way to fix a stripped drain plug I suppose.

This was my fuel filler neck on the day I finally replaced it. The screwdriver did not make either hole that it is stuck through.

"Repair tire." It seems the wood glue and duct tape put on by the customer didn't do the trick.

Brand new Kia Sedona with 1,500 miles got towed in and the right front CV axle had blown the gently caress up for no apparent reason. Warranty work for the dealer.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

NitroSpazzz posted:

From a QX56

oooo a Mac wrench, keep that poo poo. I have a 12mm Craftsman pulled from a tire that I use at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

CarForumPoster posted:

Surprised they didn't just weld it shut, re-balance it at any tire place and drive it home.

I don't think you can just weld an aluminum alloy rim on your own and then have it be fine unless you know info about the alloy and specifically how to weld aluminum.