Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

You pretty much got it. The difference in pressure is very minor and we're generally not talking about a lot of air. But yes, the spring in the check would force the ball to go back to the seat and close as it cools close to ambient so in essence the inside of the gearbox would be slightly under pressure from ambient pressure outside the gearbox.

The seals are typically enough to handle 7-10+PSI differential which is massive compared to what it would actually be experiencing. Barring worn out seals/shafts/housing/etc.

Each individual cycle would be minuscule in water from the atmosphere (pulling a # out of my rear end, for a small gearbox like this probably only a ml or something, if that) but it adds up, especially if it's super moisture laden air.

Larger systems (or by specific application) utilize desiccant breathers as well to remove moisture.

e: Just to be clear, in this case the gearbox may actually cool slightly lower than ambient air temp due to the water in the environment, which would actually make it worse. It's still very small for pressure differential though. The main goal is to stop the the air from the immediate environment getting into the gearbox as much as reasonably possible.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That might be an option and is done in some tough applications, but it's generally not practical or even really needed. If you've got a gearbox in a wet location you might be able to get a breather away from immediate "splash" but probably not away from a high humidity unless you pipe it really far away and deal with any physical obstacles in the way.

But, the solution already exists and is simple. Valved breathers are a very basic, proven technology with at most 2 moving parts: A very light spring and a ball. Regarding an under-pressure, it's a very small pressure differential. Many only have one moving part (like a lightweight rubber "flap")

I see where your mind is going with this, but in practice (and millions of these are in service and have been for years) it's just not an issue. The small amount of head of the oil in the gearbox is probably causing a higher pressure differential on the seals than just atmosphere on its own. If the seals start to fail enough to draw in atmosphere you'll likely be leaking lubricant as well.

Here is what a basic "normal" one without a desiccant setup looks like (they are all similar in principal):

https://youtu.be/nvdVxP5BdMA

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MrYenko posted:

Wrong thread.

Agreed. I'd love to see more photos of that.

And looks better than a C3 :colbert:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Don't think it's a pulley.

The thinner pieces almost look like chunks of a bellhousing or something.

Little round barrel shaped thing in the center almost looks like the rolling element from a cylindrical bearing, but I don't think so, and there should be tons more.

Whatever it is, someone didn't have a good day.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'll take impaired or otherwise prohibited drivers for $1000 Alex.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jesus that escalated quickly

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Did the arm snap as well right where it's seated?

Yeah, that could have ended really poorly. Glad it worked out OK comparatively speaking.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Holy poo poo. Those strut towers... and basically every other fastener under the hood attached to the body. That's a parts car.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

God drat, that's Machiavellian. I love it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I genuinely thought they were mandatory like at 2000. Color me surprised.

To contribute,

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

nitrogen posted:

Horrible mechanics failure from helping a friend with brakes:

I was a partsman for a large repair shop in the early 90s (rear drums were still the norm) and seeing horribly assembled brakes when popping the drum off was super common.. probably 25%+ of the time. From wheel cylinder stuff like this to springs attached in the wrong spot (or not attached at all) or totally non-functioning adjusters.

I do not miss drum brakes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

https://i.imgur.com/0NhP2kQ.mp4

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

STR posted:

Nissan.

Mitsubishi.

Hope that helps. :v:
I'll agree with Nissan, but I just can't with mitsu. I recognize it's totally anecdote and probably full of bias, but my family has periodically had Mitsubishi's for years (since the 80s if you include Dodge Colts) and while they've been total boring appliance vehicles, they have been absolutely dead nuts reliable. At least as reliable as the Hondas and Toyotas we've had. Potentially more so.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That sounds like a great idea that they thought long and hard about

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Any resulting farts smelling like artificial orange would be an interesting twist

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What is it?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What do you expect? It's a cheap econobox

:rolleye:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well that's certainly something

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That truck driver is hosed

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I could literally watch morons destroying their own cars all day. :allears:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I HATE IT SO MUCH I'VE KEPT IT FOR 25 YEARS

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Took me a sec to realize what I was looking at and then said out loud "wtf were they thinking"

No. 6 posted:

Looks like it became a shovel job
groan

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not saying its a good idea, but I have a bit of respect for that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Christ, if he overloaded a 3500 that badly, what would be suitable for carrying it? :aaa:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jesus christ

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Elviscat posted:

For a couple years, I would pull over and add oil to my Ranger every time the "CHECK GAUGE" light would blink, and the oil pressure would swing to 0 when I was making a sharp right-hand turn.

My brand new work issued 2023 Silverado with the 2.7 Turbo (still can't wrap my head around a 4 cyl full size), the oil pressure gets to the bottom of the pressure gauge at low RPM. Coworkers does the same thing, so I guess it's normal. The warning light does not come on though but I was a little concerned when I first saw it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have waaaaay more faith in that pin than I do on that drop platform on the top truck being towed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I don't know who's dumber, the guy doing the sliding or the Tesla owner who thought it best to get people to leave their protective cage milliseconds before a slow speed impact.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Guy is an idiot but I also really hate videos with “watch til the end” and then there’s no payoff. I was hoping someone would pull the moron out of his car before he killed someone. He was just bouncing like a pinball off the snow and other cars.
Worse than the big red circle right in the middle of the screen.

Why, yes, thank you good editing sir! I would never have seen that thermonuclear explosion otherwise!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Holy poo poo there are some good ones there for sure. I loved this especially.

https://youtu.be/3HKp2tRKo38?t=98

And the last one :3:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Or "shop" is his stupid as gently caress buddy

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

:stare:

I don't know what I expected but that wasn't it

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's a tradition. Like AISS, car game, substance abuse and diabetes.

If the post bothers you, take a fraction of a second to scroll past the post or put Chips on your ignore list for a few days. It's not a big deal. Others enjoy it, you might not. That's fine.

Or,

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The sheep game is a traditional fun bonding activity for us automotive idiots and it’s really easy to scroll past one post in a thread.

Play it and have fun with the rest of us normal people. Or ignore it. Whatever.

Getting pissed about it is stupid and ranting about it should 100% earn you a shame probe.
said it better.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I loved Richard Dawson, as that was my era (although even a little old for me, more re-runs) but drat yeah, the repeated kissing of the female contestants in the 70s, looking back with the lens of today is a little :stare:

https://youtu.be/-NX6yqCTRO4?si=uYktg2bHFbTKKMTx

There was quite the mix from the ladies with a totally into it to more of a resigned "whelp, I should just get this over with" vibe.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

St_Ides posted:

I recently found out that the Jeep Renegade disables its starter when it's below -30C and no block heater has been plugged in.

This is not documented in any Jeep manual, but it is in the Fiat 500x manual (same platform).

There is no way around this, other than to plug it in and/or wait for the temperature to come up.

I feel like this is dangerous. If you for some reason didn't plug it in (or had a power outage, or were somewhere without power and the temperature dropped) and needed a vehicle for heat, or had an emergency and needed to get somewhere immediately, you'd be SOL.

Whaaat? For real?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's not like life stands still when there is polar vortex over Canada/Northern US for a week with -30 and colder in many places.

Sure there will be some no starts and some cracked parts from improper antifreeze mix/winter prep, but it's absolutely commonplace with many places at -40 or colder for many days on end, if not weeks a couple times during winter.

Nobody would argue it's good for the engine, but with proper antifreeze mix and oil weight as most do in those areas (60/40) it's not the end of the world. Diesels used to be notorious to start and often kept running for days but that's not as common anymore.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You mean a turbo volute isn't supposed to be another combustion chamber?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

wesleywillis posted:

I'm not sure I'd trust a civil engineer to evaluate any car mods.
Would you trust an uncivil engineer?

CommieGIR posted:

Basic safety inspections would go a long way, even ignoring engine/performance mods.
:agreed:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

tater_salad posted:

Actually only the non / low expansion stuff should be used for this. :goonsay:
I legit found that out the hard way :smith:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MrLogan posted:

There are even people who still smoke cigs in TYOOL 2024
Not my personal story, but from a guy I know who said he had a relative that had an appointment with a financial advisor his bank set him up with.

As he pulled up, noticed a guy outside the office smoking. Approached the door and smoking guy said "Oh, you must be Mr. Guywithappointment! I'm Joe, the advisor."

Chatted for a minute and basically said something like "if you make such bad decisions for yourself that you still smoke in this day in age, I cannot trust you to make good decisions with my life savings." and left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Maybe he did?

I don't know. Sounds assholish, especially since it obviously has nothing to do with someones slave to drug addiction, but I also get where its coming from... assuming it even happened.