Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Post poste posted:

Is he one of the people that does "funny captions"?

Nah, he just explains what he's doing, since dude doesn't talk. The same information can be found in the video description. I prefer trying to figure out what's going on for myself, but CC/video description can be helpful.

Seconding Wintergatan, it's good stuff. It's quite a learning journey for Martin. I'm even starting to like his music.

I've been watching lots of boat building videos for the last year or so.
SV seeker is a dude in Tulsa building a massive steel sailing junk. He uses "origami" for the hull which is a really interesting contrast compared with the methods I'm previously familiar with. Lots and lots of metal work of all kinds. Doug can come off as somewhat overbearing at times, but I really like his style construction-wise.
Samson boat co is an English dude located in the Pacific NW doing a ship of Theseus "restoration" (re-build really) of a wrecked but beautiful old wooden sailing yacht. He's really skilled. Good production values too.
Acorn to Arabella is two New England guys building a large-ish wooden boat from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Since my brother has a broken spine I got drafted to try and fix the front end of his winter shitbox (rusty Peugot 206 gti) to make it pass the annual inspection, even though I'm a lovely car mechanic. Work took place outside in the cold rain. The ball joint was easy. The broken spring was replaced without real issues, though I spilled some oil out of the gearbox when the drive shaft popped out and spring compressors make me queezy. I saved the easiest job for last; an outer tie rod end. I had to lop it off in order to use a rattle gun on the jam nut which was super stuck. This was a bad sign. I then used all my tricks on the remaining threaded section. Wishful thinking in the form of penetrating fluids. Heat from fire (no oxy/acetylene though, could have made a difference maybe). Welded on nut that actually held once I broke out the 200 amp stick welder since the MIG is an underpowered single phase POS that wouldn't penetrate properly. The big pneumatic rattler, cheater bars and pipe wrenches. In the end the tie rod itself twisted and bent. Brother didn't feel like bothering with getting the whole rod out - it's really cramped in there and it seems like the subframe needs to drop in order to gain access. So the shitbox gets junked and I got to spend all day wet, dirty and uncomfortable, throwing new parts at a car that's going straight to the crusher.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

slothrop posted:

that's the worst thing in this thread. That fukken sucks. I hope your brother appreciates you! did you ever finish up that engine swap in your Nissan ute?

Oh, he appreciates me plenty. I even made the deal that he would get the chinesium VIDA thingy that's been laying around unused for years up and running in return for the rainy wrenching so that I can finally speak to Volvos properly. He still hasn't quite met that obligation, but I'm pretty sure he'll read this and take the reminder. Bro has computer skills I lack but really hates Windows, so it was a big ask.

"Finished" is a relative term. The D21 has a new engine and it kind of runs OK-ish and sees occasional use. It doesn't like to start easily and acceleration enrichment still isn't ideal, and there's an injector that's seemingly misbeaving when it gets heat soaked, fouling up the spark plug (the problem changed cylinder when the injectors were moved between them). There are new injectors waiting to be swapped in, which needs to happen before any further attempts at fine tuning is made. Also less back pain I guess. Bro has recently signed papers to buy a house with a huge garage though, so car wrenching will hopefully move into the warmth soon and become more accessible and frequent altogether. I'm sure the Nissan will receive more love because of this.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Space Gopher posted:

Incidentally, the "drip a bit of water on an air-cooled engine's fins to keep it from blowing up" technique is super common in the flat parts of Cambodia, where people haul multi-ton third wheel trailers with Super Cubs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAx47JEDiFo

It's 20 years ago I was in Cambodia, but there were some unfamiliar (to me) things on the road. Apart from all sorts of creative uses of Super Cubs there were lots of improvised vehicles similiar to this:

Sometimes metal framed, sometimes bamboo/wood, all sorts of engines and wheels were used.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I was a tank crew conscript on the Leopard 2 twenty years ago. There were various issues with the tanks but while the transmissions are probably super complicated they worked just fine, to the point that all we ever learned about them was "this is how you drive" and "this is how you decouple the transmission from the drive sprockets to help the mechanics change the power pack in a hurry in the field".

e: lovely snipe sorry

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I get why you'd think this about German engineering. I've wrenched a bit on their cars and have found some lol-worthy needlessly complicated things that caused problems a "normal" car simply wouldn't have. A leaking diesel return cooler for example. Or the mysterious case of the old mercedes with coolant going into the windshield washer fluid. There are exceptions though. The same company that made the G11 also made the G3 which is a simple and sensible design according to the same Gun Jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvx2RFkst4U

As for the Leo 2, most of the issues we had were from having tanks from early on in the Swedish licence built production run. Bad wiring decisions on some aftermarket addons and a bad batch of road wheels losing their rubber, mainly. Also an incorrectly installed torsion bar on a foremost road wheel pair - that tank (not mine thankfully) threw a track if you looked at it wrong before someone reluctantly took responsibility and fixed it.

In my company we probably drove about 20000km in total with zero powerpack issues - the need for easy swapping makes a lot of sense if people are trying their best to shoot and bomb you and everyone's in a hurry I guess. The only tanks that spent any real time in the workshop were both from user error. One got high centered at speed on a boulder hidden under snow that bulged in the bottom armor. The other was killed by a commander (not me!) who's belt knife got eaten by the turrent monster and managed to short out the power feed for the turret slip ring. Lots of current in that cable.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Vindolanda posted:

I think that’s it - there’s one on each side and the power pack is a two-fan system when installed (I think). I don’t know if they use one PTO per fan but it’d make sense from a redundancy perspective.

Yup. There's two cooling fans on the rear deck located right above the tranny. Not sure how they are powered but I don't think they are electrical so some kind of PTO makes sense.

Edward IV posted:

As for the transmission itself, it appears to a typical-ish slushbox automatic.

I thing your analysis is spot on with my experience driving the thing. It very much felt like driving any underpowered old school automatic. The steering was very easy to use too but a little quirky going in reverse, since the wheel inputs are the opposite of when backing up with a car. You'd just drive like normal only looking at the rear camera CRT screen rather than out the vision blocks.

To the right of the driver's seat is a little vertical box. The T-shaped handle on top is a normal-ish looking slushbox stick that went (IIRC) 1-2-3-Auto. The little horizontal stick facing the camera is forward-neutral-reverse, and a mode for making a zero travel pirouette turn whatever that's called in English.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Zero One posted:

Wes did a dumb :ohdear:

I've downloaded that video to watch on an airplane later today. Seems like typical Wes to own his mistakes publicly for all to see though. I like Wes.

While I'm no Wes I did a really dumb myself yesterday. Changing to the winter wheels I happily unzipped a summer front wheel, having forgotten to jack up that corner first. Clunk. Nothing damaged other than my pride but man was that a boneheaded thing to do.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Mine are directional too. I measure tread depth with calipers an put the best ones up front every fall so they'll wear out evenly. Sadly I have a vibration up front now beginning at 100 km/h. They'll have to come off and be re-balanced. IIRC they vibrated a bit last winter too but then it was in the rear and much less noticeable.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Best ones go in the back you goober.

Yes they do, but if the difference is 0.5mm and the most worn ones are at a depth of 7.5mm I figure it's safe enough to rotate them for even wear.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
My Golf class Korean shitbox will swallow my fender equipped e-MTB with a front seat passenger (no legroom left though). Long light stuff or the odd sheet of plywood go on the roof rack which admittedly is a bit fiddly to put on or take off on this particular car. While I mostly use it for a bike rack I can also legally pull a 1200kg gross weight surge brake trailer on the ball hitch. Trailers are available for loan at the lumber yards or I rent one for a few hours at the gas station for :20bux: when I need to haul something big/heavy that isn't construction material I just bought.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I had to do mandatory low friction training as part of getting my licence back in the 1990's. It was on oiled pads sprayed with water, which is still a thing, though these days there are also cars equipped with caster wheels that give a similar effect on dry asphalt. I recall doing understeer and threshold brake drills with a FWD car (VW Golf) without ABS and also oversteer drills cornering with a RWD car (some kind of Mercedes) lacking traction control, also equipped with intentionally lovely funky looking rear tires. I think maybe I spun out once in that one, not sure though. Pretty fun day, but cost a fair bit of money. Looking at youtube, it seems like a very similar setup to what I did is used up to this day (video description says the course is like €250):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ALnkEq-8w

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Groda posted:

The Swedish license doesn't require any training.

It does require the risk2 low friction skid course thing though, surely that counts as training?
My uncle used to be a driving/motorcycle riding teacher, and IIRC he one time said that students of his that couldn't practice privately and needed to do all their training from scratch at the driving school usually needed about 20 or so 50 minute lessons order to get the skills needed to have a good shot at passing the licence drive. This was way back when stick was the norm though, getting an automatic only licence is much more common now or so I've read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

bull3964 posted:

The question is the funding.

If all a shop does is vehicle safety inspections, it's not going to be profitable and no one is going to do it.
I dunno, I have to pay about $50 on average to get my vehicles inspected at an inspection place where inspections is all they do, normally takes them around 20 minutes. They seem to be doing alright, business being pretty steady by law. It used to all be run buy the government but now it's independent contractors.
Anyways on the whole i'm glad it's a mandatory thing. It sucks to fail over an inoperable foglight or something dumb like that but I've had to fix rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings and seatbelts after a failed inspection which are all good and valid reasons for failure IMO. Also a re-visit for them looking over a fix of a specific previous failure is significantly cheaper and you usually get a month to carry out the work where I live. Pretty reasonable.