Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Why am I not surprised

From the way the car split in half so easily I'd guess it was one car hacked together with two wrecked cars. They probably learned how to do it from a Russian Youtube video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Iridium posted:

the note on it was "They only came in for a starter"

And they probably left with it like that

I have no time for people that refuse to acknowledge serious safety issues with their cars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That’s some on the fly thinking right there

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It's going to sort itself out anyways though as people transition to electric mowers.

I'm all electric for lawn equipment now (all Ryobi) and it's been great, so glad to be rid of the gas powered poo poo, and the electric stuff is just as powerful if not more powerful. My mower adjusts RPM's automatically based on load in thick grass where my gas mower would just bog down. The trimmer is ridiculous, I've had to start wearing pants because the flying debris was destroying my bare legs :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know how people do any sort of yard work involving machinery and not wear jeans and shoes.

I'm in Florida and own one pair of jeans that I wear a few times a year :v:

But yeah it's way too hot to wear jeans for yard work here, I have a pair of really light nylon cargo pants I wear for when i use the trimmer, everything else it's shorts. I do wear sneakers at least tho.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So apparently when a Tesla crashes badly it sends burning shrapnel everywhere

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/19/tesla-crash-100-mph-scatters-burning-batteries/#slide-2279191

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

It was inevitable.

At least none of the towers fell over like they thought would probably happen.

But still :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ugh can we please drop this bullshit already

Someone start a C word discussion thread or something and take it there please

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But then they would still work after the warranty was up, can't have that!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This is why you don't put additives in a transmission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rxU4bJPE-g

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elviscat posted:

That video is fascinating.

I've watched a bunch of videos on that guy's channel from beginning to end. Working on automatic transmissions really is voodoo to do it right, he gets so many that have been completely hosed up by other shops and he points out every way someone else screwed it up. Lots of shoddy work out there and "techs" that don't know what the gently caress they're doing and/or don't care.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah guess it's not big deal on a car like that that's on it's way out anyway, might as well put some zipties on it (in this case additive) to get some more miles out of it before it goes to scrap.

If you plan on keeping a car or truck tho, it looks like transmission additives are not the answer even as a temporary fix, it will just make the repair even more expensive.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Space Gopher posted:

In the video, he mentions that there’s a right way to use seal-swelling additives: put them in, let them run for a few hundred miles, and then flush the fluid, to get the additive out. The seals swell and soften a bit but don’t get to the ridiculous extreme he’s showing off in that video.

That's not what it says to do on the additive bottles tho does it? Who else is going to know that?

Like I said if you have a vehicle you like and actually want to keep just get the drat thing fixed and don't use additives.

I had to get rid of a Miata because the PO doused it with coolant stop leak a hundred loving times rather than just getting the drat leak fixed. poo poo was caked like sludge through the entire cooling system and was a loving mess.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That reminds me of the time I went to change the oil on our Lexus for the first time not realizing it holds 9 loving QUARTS of oil.

The drain plug was on the side of the pan, so once the plug came out all the pressure of 9 FUCKIN QUARTS of oil sent a horizontal stream of oil shooting right over the drain pan and onto the driveway. And then also overflowed the container I had that already had 4 quarts in it.

Went through a lot of kitty litter that day :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

*10mm shortage due to covid

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

stone soup posted:

it looks like a scene out of thunderbirds

Lol that's spot on.

Is there more video of this launch and landing anywhere? I have no idea what it's even about, was it a space X thing?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

I found this image this morning.

I'd love to have a bonfire as my only means of egress!

I guess if you have a lot of pallets laying around that one way to use them :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

I would like to see video of supposedly disrupting a cloud from the ground...if it really does this that would be loving badass.

Yeah I'd have to see that to believe it, sounds far fetched to me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So are CVTs

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks like wrong/too much additive or something?

I don't know what else could possibly cause that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

driving through water with a broken vent tube and sucking water in through the vent hole.

Huh, I never considered that just some water getting in there could cause a milkshake like that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Memento posted:

With the constant blending action from the gears, and a little bit of heat, it doesn't take much to emulsify the whole lot together.

Looks like it, especially if there were loose tires spinning at high RPMs, just like my Ninja blender making a smoothie :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

sharkytm posted:

For all your Ever Given needs: https://istheshipstillstuck.com/

It says it has cost us 40 billion so far

Lol it hasn't cost me anything

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

sharkytm posted:

I realize you're being flippant, but it will actually cost you money, long term. loving the Suez is going to increase prices nearly across the board. Albeit, not in a defined way, aka no "Suez tariff", but a penny here and a nickel there... It's the same as the tariffs on Chinese electronic components. You don't know that you're paying it, but you are.

Maybe but not to the point that I will ever notice, I just think it's funny how they use the word "us" in there like we're all somehow financially responsible :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Also :lol: at “I won’t notice [the price increases in general that I’ll definitely be paying] so I’m not paying it”

Goods that will be sold either way and would have sold for x billion dollars without this absolutely will be sold for x+~40(so far) billion dollars and consumers absolutely will pay that difference because businesses sure as gently caress won’t

I absolutely will not notice because I don't give a poo poo enough to notice that the price of my Coffee went up .25 cents :shrug:

I have enough poo poo to worry about other than a dumbass ship being stuck and my consumerism being slightly more expensive as a result. Who cares.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Right. The problematic statement wasn’t that you won’t notice it, it was:
Unless you actually mean that you haven’t paid it yet, but that doesn’t make sense.

Also, I’m glad more expensive goods don’t affect you, but you absolutely will be paying more and so will everyone else and not everyone is so fortunate.

I understand all of that but my point was

I doubt it's going to significantly effect people shopping at Walmart and disagree that the average consumer will even notice

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 28, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just use vise grips duh

Rips the poo poo out of the handle but it works in a pinch :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm surprised no one has suggested the use of a BFH yet, that would be sure to get it out :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It reminds me of the FD RX7 rats nest and not in a good way

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's a common problem with transit vans apparently, rear end issues (heh). A buddy of mine had to have the entire rear axle replaced under warranty on his, but that was years ago. I figured Ford would have fixed it by now but guess not.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Unrelated question: What do y'all like for lug nuts that aren't made out of Chinesium and will last for more than one set of wheel changes without starting to distort or corrode or gall?

OEM. I don't think I've ever bought a set of aftermarket lug nuts that weren't crap tbh

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Apparently Vans work well for things other than skateboarding, who knew!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ that list :stare:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yikes. When he started talking about using his thumb to stop from bleeding out it made me a little sick just imagining having to deal with that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No it's not simple, it's stupid

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Oh I'm not saying it's impossible, it's usually the other way in my experience (gasoline in diesels) which tends to pretty much nuke the engine on modern cars.

It's happened both ways at the company my wife works for. Commercial roofer so they have lots of trucks, diesel and gas.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ranzear posted:

My dad has a least one scary story about a C-2 Greyhound on takeoff: There was six guys sitting in the cargo bay towards the tail behind half a ton of transmission or engine or something, because it was heavier and needed to be up front. During the catapult launch, the load broke lose, smashed those dudes, and pitched the aircraft into the water.

Yeah. Can always be worse...

Also: That wasn't the edit button. Oh well.

Ugh that's horrible. No way I'd be sitting behind heavy cargo on a catapult launch tho gently caress that

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Funny how people just avoid using simple math and instead chose to gently caress around and find out

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

He got a slap on the wrist, big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Better than it breaking during-move :v: