Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I'm pretty fond of my Sidewinder X8. I'd like the capability to rebind the under-palm and macro buttons to something else, but as-is it's just swell. Had it for about a year, enjoyed it the whole time, but now I think there's a bit of cat hair stuck in the wheel sensor since that will occasionally false-roll an extra tick or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

A Child's Letter posted:

I'll ask again, because my google skills are failing me: Does anyone know of any good left-handed mice (other than the Razer DeathAdder)? Not necessarily a gaming mouse, but something with at least 5 buttons? If not, I'll just keep rocking my ambidextrous Mx310, but I'm curious... I know that, once, Logitech made a wireless left-handed mouse (610? I think), but it was wireless, and I've discovered I can't stand wireless mice. Thanks for any leads.

If ambidextrous mice work too, I pretty much swear by the Intellimouse Optical. The one I used before my Sidewinder X8 lasted almost eight years, including two full summer vacations of Diablo II, before finally giving up.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

So I'm looking for a new gaming mouse. I love the Razer brand, but apparently even factory made Lachesis had this problem of the laser just poopin out. I'm looking for a worry free gaming worthy mouse that'll last me like my $20 microsoft mouse. Which I LOVE, but not so handy for games.

Price range is up too $60ish. Can't break the bank here sadly.
I rather like my Sidewinder X8, which just happens to be about $50 on Amazon right now.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Tunga posted:

Was considering a Lachesis or a Sidewinder X8.

I rather enjoy the X8 I've been using for a bit over two years. Wouldn't mind if it were a little heavier, but it's comfortable and I haven't had tracking issues that didn't involve cat hair in the sensor. It's recently started missing clicks occasionally, but I chalk that up to wear and will probably tear it down for a cleaning once I settle into my new place.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I'm using a QCK Mini draped over one of these with the lovely surface and shittier adhesive residue removed. Works and feels great for my Sidewinder X8 and ergonomically despicable desk setup.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I think my Sidewinder X8 may have finally given up the ghost. I'm gonna open it up and see if I can get the charge contacts working again when I get home, but I've heard that fix is hit-or-miss. Is there anything decent out there shaped/weighted like it, or better yet like a heftier Intellimouse Optical? Preferably with a similar thumb-button arrangement to the Sidewinder's, the up/down is a hell of a lot easier to use than side-by-side along the length of the mouse.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Welp, looks like I found my Sidewinder X8 replacement.

Speaking of which, I revived mine by leaving it unplugged for 4 hours, cleaning the battery/charge terminals and buying an Eneloop AA charging kit. :confuoot:

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I really want to see a video of how fast you have to move your hand in order to hit the malfunction speed of your typical high end optical sensor. They're over 4 m/s these days, which sounds ludicrously fast to me.

It's probably for the FPS super-weirdos with sensitivity at 0.1 and fabric-covered drafting tables for mousepads.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It's almost certainly a wholesale license from Zowie itself, otherwise that would be pure indefensible patent infringement. They even have the model designation in the name. Zowie is on the small side for a gaming company so I don't doubt they'd use this to increase their distribution potential and receive their fee in the process.

Both of them have the Zowie logo printed on the mouse underneath the Monoprice one.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Pasted over crudely like a stolen image gets re-watermarked, or as an official collaboration?

Just click the link and look at the pictures.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Tornhelm posted:

The Sidewinder X8? I loved the gently caress out of that mouse. Best wireless/wired gaming mouse I've ever owned. If someone made something with similar ergonomics and button layout, I'd buy the gently caress out of it.

Still using mine, going strong after like six years as long as I clean the cat hair out of the wheel every few months. :c00lbutt:

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Has anyone copied the Sidewinder X8's vertical thumb button placement yet? Mine's finally starting to double-click after like eight years of flawless performance so it might be time to look into replacement. G502's G4/sniper-button placement looks like it might be the closest outside MMO mice with a button grid. I might just dive on a G602 since it's half-off with free shipping on the Logitech site right now.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I'd just shove the 2.4GHz dongle into one laptop and connect to the other with Bluetooth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I switched from a G604 to an ASUS ROG Spatha X; so far I'm pretty happy with it aside from the more limited selection of keybindings for the side buttons, having arbitrary inputs like MOUSE6-15 or F keys beyond 12 would be nice. The left button did start double-clicking on me last week but it only took like 5 minutes to open it up with the included torx driver and pull a hair that crawled into the switch out, it's been fine since.