Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'm considering the Viper Ultimate but wondering, can you completely disable the LEDs when it's charging on the dock or is that hard-coded to always show the charge level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Well the optical switches are pretty fundamentally different. I know Razer, Roccat and Steelseries have gone optical now, are there any others?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

searching for a new mouse has led me to the part of youtube where minecraft children show you how to induce omron doubleclicking on purpose so you can attack faster in pvp :wtc:

maybe that's why companies like logitech still haven't fixed the problem, it's a selling point

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Do you have the :pcgaming: RGB enabled? That usually has a huge impact on battery life with wireless mice, and the quoted battery life figures are always with it disabled

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Some (not all) of the Razer Nagas have their optical switches

https://www.razer.com/gb-en/pc/gaming-mice/naga-family

Naga Trinity and Naga Lefthanded have mechanical switches, Naga X and Naga Pro have optical switches

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I hear the Viper Mini punches above its weight, and it's exactly 30bux

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i was enjoying the endgame xm1r but six months after getting it the scroll wheel is all hosed up, it jumps upwards while scrolling down :argh:

why is it so hard to make a mouse that isn't a complete piece of poo poo

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Razer dock is like $50 to buy separately so definitely get the bundle if you think you might want it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Wireless mice are at this point straight up better than wired mice, for the most part. There are two reasons to buy a wired mouse at this point - you want an 8000hz sample rate,

Last I looked into it, those 8000hz mice broke some games because they exposed some engine bottleneck where they couldn't process the sheer volume of input events fast enough

Just moving the mouse would tank the frame rate :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I like the MPC450 a lot, it's highly rated amongst the mouse nerd youtubers and is actually easy to buy unlike the Artisan stuff

There's also deskmat versions of it if you're into that

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Finalmouse has always done extremely limited drops, even before the current shortages, it's just their gimmick

People put up with their bullshit because they usually have some unique hook you can't get anywhere else (e.g. 42 gram wireless mouse)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The good news is that if you have basic soldering gear/skills, the switches are pretty easy to replace

The form factor of the Omron switches that Logitech uses has become a de-facto standard, so there are alternative switches available from other manufacturers now

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

That's a surface-mount part, mice use the through-hole versions

If you want to do a straight replacement then the Omron D2FC-F-7N is what you want, e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/271339506771

Alternatively look into Kailh GM 2.0/4.0/8.0s which have a different feel and are supposedly more reliable

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Loud clicks are common with current optical switches I think, the Steelseries Primes are also known for being very noisy

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

every gaming mouse sucks in one way or another, you just have to pick your poison

logitech has poo poo unreliable switches
razer has terrible bloated software
steelseries has poor click latency despite the optical switches
glorious has terrible quality control in general

i ventured into a more niche brand with the endgame xm1r and loved it until the scroll wheel started registering false inputs, and the promised firmware fix still hasn't appeared after half a year

using a logitech superlight now because it gets basically everything right besides the switches, and i'll just replace them when they go bad

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

logitech had the right idea with the superlight, they jettisoned all the RGB junk to get the weight down without having to skeletonize the shell

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

131g is too dang heavy for todays discerning gamer

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Just saw that the new Viper leaked, looks pretty promising

Basically a Logitech Superlight but with optical switches

https://www.reddit.com/r/MouseReview/comments/tc7697/razer_viper_v3_leaked/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you're really going to feel the cable on a wired mouse that light

the g-wolves HSK+ is a similar form factor at 36g but wireless if they ever get around to releasing it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

New Zealand can eat me posted:

By my math, 1.65m of 4x32awg copper is ~1.87892604 grams. Adding the HDPE insulation, 40 AWG spiral shield, TPU jacket, and connector probably gets it a bit over 1/10th the entire weight of the mouse? Assuming you're using a mouse bungie, the portion of the cable you'd actually feel is probably closer to 2-3 grams.

it's a sentiment that came up when i looked at reviews of the m2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qmuSzSoN9g&t=222s

i personally found going from wired to wireless on 60-70g mice to make a noticeable difference so i can only imagine it's even more noticeable on something like the m2k

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the first generation of that mouse (the m1k) didn't have a wheel but people complained so they put one on the sequel

it only added 1 gram to the weight, from 23 to 24

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

reminder that logitech provides a barebones tool for modifying their mices onboard configuration without needing the full bloated LGS software installed

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059641133

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the zaunkoenigs poll at 8khz too, but yeah spending big bucks for a wired mouse is highly questionable at this point

hopefully other manufacturers manage to clone the finalmouse starlight sooner rather than later

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

usually only the main clicks are optical, the side buttons and mousewheel clicks are still mechanical

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

taking the viper ultimate as an example, the scroll wheel click looks like a conventional mechanical switch, distinct from the razer-branded optical switches

maybe it's optical in a different form factor?

as klyith said, they have good reason not to put opticals everywhere in a wireless mouse because they consume power continuously, and the wheel/side clicks don't see as much abuse anyway

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

A few other companies have optical switches now (e.g. Roccat, Steelseries) but AFAIK nobody else is using the specific parts that Razer does

The Steelseries opticals in particular seem very polarising, they're heavier and louder than most switches

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The EU mandates 2 year warranties for most things

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The good news is that the push for lighter mice is resulting in RGB getting jettisoned, at least on the most tryhard gaming mice

Neither the Logitech Superlight or Viper V2 Pro have any LEDs besides the battery indicator

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

all mice suck in one way or another, the only winning move is to learn how to solder and just replace the switches/encoder when they inevitably crap out

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

codo27 posted:

What would you say sets it apart? I mean for me, just personally, I dont feel like I'm being held back at all by my mouse or that it leaves anything to be desired. I can see the appeal of optical switches but thats more a longevity thing right?

I think it's the cheapest mouse with optical switches, so it has that going for it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there's no connection there, mice with optical switches use the same type of scrollwheel encoder that mice with mechanical switches do

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

RTINGS has a tool for that

https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tools/3d-model-shape-compare/corsair-ironclaw-rgb-wireless-vs.-razer-deathadder-v2-pro

the deathadder is a decent starting point if you want a big mouse with optical switches

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

my last mouse (endgame xm1r) had mechanical switches and ended up crapping out in the way you described, registering reversed inputs on the wheel

i think that's a firmware issue with them not filtering the encoders output adequately

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

112 grams :hmmno:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rexxed posted:

hybrid optical switches (not sure if hybrid stands for a model name, that the switches are some kind of hybrid optical/mech switch, or that only some switches are optical).

They're using "hybrid" to refer to the switches being mech/optical hybrids, but that's not anything unusual, all optical mouse switches still have a mechanical element to provide tactile feedback and reset the switch after you let go. The important part is that the mechanical element isn't responsible for detecting clicks, since that's the usual failure point that leads to false doubleclicks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

One of those keyboards with a built in trackpad is also worth considering for bed computering

Something like the Logitech K400 Plus

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

my year old logitech superlight just poo poo the bed and funnily enough it wasn't the switches, but the scroll encoder

luckily the switches/encoder are on a separate PCB and its a popular enough mouse that you can just buy cloned PCBs to drop in, so i've got one with GM 8.0s and a TTC Gold on the way

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

Because holy cow does Logitech need to trim down that horrific software suite.

for models with onboard storage they have a lightweight configurator

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059641133

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

finalmouse did the magnesium alloy thing a while ago, though the availability of their stuff is terrible so a major manufacturer picking it up is a nice step forwards

now the price just needs to come down to not-stupid levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

most decent mice aren't painted or coated now, they're just a solid colour all the way through the plastic