Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Retardog posted:

After 14 years, my original Microsoft Intellimouse Optical called it quits. I need a replacement, but I can't seem to find anything close other than the Razer Naga. I'm a lefty and I use the mouse with my left hand, so I'd prefer either a lefty or ambidextrous mouse with five buttons. I'd prefer not to spend over fifty bucks, but knowing that I'm in the minority when it comes to using mice on the left side, I'll take what I can get.

The Razer Lachesis has extra buttons on both sides. I'm right handed, but it could be used with either hand. I used mine for a year or two before getting something larger, as the low profile of the mouse and trying to hit the pinky button reliably was bothering my hand (realistically you can comfortably use the two thumb buttons and one of the buttons on the other side, trying to hit both of the others with your pinky results in contortion). If you don't mind something a little bit low to the ground with glowy lights, it's worth a look. The MSRP is closer to $80 but it seems to be cheaper from online retailers. They advertise the Abyssus as being ambidextrous as well, though I have no personal experience with it, and it doesn't look like it has any thumb buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Retardog posted:

As an aside, I think Razer could stand to learn a bit about marketing and web design from the folks at Zowie. As soon as I clicked on the link to the Lachesis, I got eyefucked by loads of numbers and marketing-speak in a color scheme that hasn't been cool since the Matrix. On the Zowie site I get coherent paragraphs of text that describes what the product does and answers whatever questions I have while I'm reading. Maybe they're marketing to two different crowds. I don't know.

You're right, they could. I believe that both companies are trying to appeal to the gamer market, however I think Razer is trying to hold on to the gamer "style" of black and flashy glowy neon with buzzwords to match (maybe they should start saying their products have Blast Processing). I like most of their products that I've used, I've found them to be solid and reliable, but they could stand a bit of a makeover. Also, I noticed on the mouse page, if I try to go to look at another mouse, as I move down the pop-out menu, it closes before I get where I'm going because of the poor placement of another item that also pops out a menu, no matter the resolution of my browser window.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MasterColin posted:

I have some amazon GCs I need to use tonight, may get a Rat MMO7.

Any suggestions on a good mousepad?

I'm a fan of the smoothed plastic cutting board style mouse pads. I wore an old Everglide Attack Pad flat in the middle, but they stopped making it. I replaced it with a Ratpadz which has held up for over three years so far: http://www.ratpadz.com/

Note that they've got a constant free shipping and $5 off thing going, so they're $19.99.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Full Circle posted:

For a contrarian opinion, I bought a ratpadz at the advice of a coworker, and replaced it with a razer vespula after about 2 months. The surface is quite abrasive and they way it's designed it is nearly impossible to get the entire surface flat, so the mouse will scrape a great deal depending on hour worn the feet of your mouse are. As for an actual reccomendation, I don't think I'll ever purchase anything aside from a funcmat archetype for as long as they keep selling them. I'm still using the one I bought 5 years ago.

I'm guessing that the wear may depend on your mouse feet and how flat the ratpadz is. When I used the razer lachesis, I'd end up putting frag tape style feet on it every couple of months that would get worn through as I used them on the ratpadz. With the Logitech G500 I replaced it with, the feet have held up for over a year with no modification or extra tape. I'm sure they are getting worn down but it's barely noticeable to me. I was annoyed with having to redo the mouse feet on the lachesis so often, so if these wear flat I'm going to try to find replacement feet that are similar to the original feet since they have worn so slowly.

As for flatness, when I got my ratpadz it was bowed, but I used their "bend it on a kitchen counter" method to flatten it out and so far I've only had to readjust it once. Admittedly it's just a hunk of plastic, getting it perfectly flat may involve some luck. It's a very no-frills version of the everglide style pads.

To the original question asker, maybe go with something more mainstream if you're unsure. I like these, but you may not.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

gmq posted:

I have been using a lovely small mouse for the last couple of months and I'm pretty sure that's the cause of the pain in my hand. So, I'm thinking about buying a new mouse but I'm not sure what I want or what I should be looking for. Any tips or suggestions?

I spend most of my day using it but I don't really play games where a gaming mouse would be necessary (Multiplayer FPS/RTS?).

The Microsoft Arc looks sexy as hell but I'm not sure.

A lot of gaming mice are fine for everything, so I wouldn't entirely discount them unless they're horribly ugly. I use a Logitech G500 for gaming and everything else and I'm pretty happy with it. If you're really not sure what kind of mouse you want, and the feel is important (since it sounds like an issue of ergonomics), you may want to go to a store and try a few mice out for feel. Also, consider a wrist rest for your mouse hand with the new mouse if you're having hand pain. I've been using one for years because my pinky will start going numb if I rest my wrist on the desk.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Twamp posted:

I have always used the Microsoft 20$ mice, always liked them. They last a few years and are cheap. However they also feel really cheap, flimsy and lightweight. I recently(year ago) got a Logitech G500 and I really enjoy having it.

Pros: Really comfortable, fills my hand but not too big, Logitech software allows for lots of customization including macros and DPI settings, also it has a button to toggle wheel free-spinning, removable/changeable weight cartridge.

Cons: I have only ever seen it happen in Shooter games, but the mouse will 100% shut off, and i will hear the Windows USB disconnect sound. Now when I say that the mouse will "100% shut off" I mean the DPI lights on the top of the mouse will shut off. Sometimes instead of the mouse shutting off, all of the lights on the mouse besides one of them will shut off, leaving the only light left on blinking. To fix this I must: unplug/replug the mouse, use the DPI up/down buttons(if they are mapped as default), or sometimes just waiting a minute or two the mouse will turn back on. I have searched online and found that other people have also had this problem and replacing the mouse using the 3-year-warranty solved all of the user's issues. I should do this, but I threw my old mouse away and so sending this mouse in and waiting for the return will leave me basically up a river with no paddle.

Usually if the mouse turns off and then back on it's one of the wires in the cable being broken and during a cord flex, disconnecting. It should be covered by warranty replacement. You could always get a cheap mouse to span the gap until yours comes back. I usually keep a spare wireless mouse to use with laptops when I need to work with them (because gently caress track pads worthless rear end in a top hat things). Something like this wouldn't hurt to have spare: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-V220-Cordless-Optical-Mouse/dp/B00638ICBM/. If you know anyone who's into computers and does a lot of building/tech support they probably have some spares lying around, I know personally I've got half a dozen around here (though some are so old they're ball mice).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I never used a mouse with variable weight until I got the G500, but I find I like adding three 4.5g weights to it, makes the back a little heavier.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

cLin posted:

Was there ever a replacement/alternative for Logitech MX1000? I hate the MX revolution and no other mouse I've found is as bulky as MX1000 with all the buttons.

I found that the G500 has a similar three thumb button cluster to the MX1000, but the two buttons near the wheel got moved to the left of the left mouse button. They're a little hard to reach compared to the wheel ones, but of the mice I've tried it's the closest in number of buttons and general shape (it's not quite as big). The thumb buttons are positioned slightly differently, but there's three of them and they're fairly distinct and not too tough to hit.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

horchata posted:

My G500 seems to be having a problem with registering single-clicks as double-clicks if I hold the button a fraction of a second longer than I have to. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Mine does not do that. It sounds like the switch may be faulty, is it still under warranty?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Beach Bum posted:

It's a SERIAL IBM clicker from the 70's, it's not getting "clean". :colbert:

You could always retrobright it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66071596@N00/3822230561/
http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

kingcobweb posted:

I've been using a Razer Diamondback for the past six years or so, and the left click has become a bit inconsistent lately.

What I'm looking for: high resolution (I barely move my hand at all to use this mouse, which I love), wired, on the bigger side, and not overly weird and asymmetrical. Don't have too much need for lots of buttons, but I like the back/forward on the thumb that my current mouse has.

Should I still be looking at Razer, or are their products overpriced? Currently looking at the Lachesis.

I found the lachesis to be too low and flat for my tastes. Also, the buttons on the pinky side are way too hard to hit without getting hand cramps, they seem to be more useful as thumb buttons if you use the mouse left handed. That said, I used it for over a year and it's a solid and reliable mouse that's still on my second PC, but I found moving to a G500 was better for my every day use (it's asymmetric however).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Stormtrooper posted:

I have a M510 but it is often unresponsive in games and sometimes on the desktop. I contacted their support and got a replacement, but I have the same drat problem. Maybe I should just give up and get a wired mouse again.

Have you tried using the PS/2 input instead of USB or different USB ports? I usually only get weirdness with my mouse when USB is getting clogged up with something else, even though that shouldn't happen.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Stormtrooper posted:

Well, there is no PS/2 input as far as I know. Just little USB receiver. Anway, I have tried switching ports to no avail. Could be something environmental that is disrupting the signal, since I doubt two of the same mouse would have the same failure.

Oh sorry, didn't realize that there was a wireless model, I was looking at the MX510 web page. It could be environmental since it's wireless, look for stuff that's in the same band that could be causing issues. It looks like it's 2.4ghz so it could be wifi signals, cordless phones, or even something innocuous like a microwave being used nearby.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Stormtrooper posted:

I was afraid it might be wifi signals. The mouse is basically between the wireless router and my PC with wireless card. Not much I can do about that either. Maybe a stupid question, but do mice come in different bands - like, could I get one that doesn't conflict with wireless?

There's a few options. The easiest would be to switch wifi channels on your router, which might move the wifi signal away from the mouse signal (I don't know what channel the mouse will be fighting with but presumably moving it away from its current setting will work). I'm running a channel 10 router next to my cordless phone and I don't seem to have any interference, but when it was on channel 6 it would have some static on the phone. I'm not sure what kind of bandwidth the mouse will need but hopefully it's not more than a couple of channels worth like wifi usually is.

You could also upgrade to all 5ghz wifi stuff, but that requires buying new equipment. You could also purchase a bluetooth or 5ghz band mouse, though that also requires a new purchase and may limit your options. Bluetooth also operates in the 2.4ghz band so it could have similar troubles to your current mouse.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Fucknag posted:

I've got an M500 that's about 3 years old, and the pads have decided to run away due to the adhesive going bad; I've only got one left, and it's starting to interfere with my mousing. Does anyone make replacement pads for this thing? I can't seem to find any on Google or Amazon.

I can't find any for that particular model but there's various mouse feet pre-cut on ebay (I also can't vouch for the quality of random mouse feet from Hong Kong). If you compared the current feet to some of the listings one might be the same (or close enough).
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=See-All-Categories&_from=R40&_nkw=mouse+feet&rt=nc

What I used to do for my mouseman when the feet wore down was use some of the generic frag tape style mouse feet stuff. It's kind of thin if you buy a roll, so I'd cut a tiny piece of masking tape to build a little height and then put a layer or two of frag tape on. It worked pretty well but it wore out faster than the harder plastic feet the mice come with. There's a couple of mouse feet products being sold on amazon right now that might do the job if you feel like getting creative:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mouse+feet

If this image of the bottom of the mouse is correct:

then it looks like these feet might fit:
http://www.amazon.com/Corepad-Skatez-Logitech-MX1000-replacement/dp/B007CMX754/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1355249216&sr=8-4&keywords=mouse+feet
though I've never used that particular brand.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

vty posted:

Just retired my 4-6 year old G5 for a G500. Feels like I should shoot the guy off to space, but it's still alive and clicking.

With that said, I adore the fact that the latest Logitech software doesn't support the G500 (as in can't program macros) and I'm using some old version.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I unboxed a G400 I won from World of Tanks the other day to put on a second PC and I was surprised it used "Logitech Gaming Software" which is different than SetPoint that I use with the G500 on this PC. The software was also like 100 megs which seems excessive as hell even with profile switching and stuff. There must be an industry move to make driver installers as annoyingly huge as printer drivers or something. At least it's not nagging me about registration yet.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Woozy posted:

The G400 is my personal favorite for mid-range performance mice, mostly because it doesn't look like a gaming mouse. It does everything a gaming mouse needs to do except outing you as a horrible manchild with lots of "sick" graphics and gaudy LEDs.

When I set up my G400 a few weeks back, the Logitech Gaming Software had a checkbox to allow games to control illumination. I spent a while staring at the mouse to figure out what it would be illuminating. Fortunately, there is none.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Belasarius posted:

So the microswitch is going out on my MX510, it double clicks when it should be a press. What is a good mouse now?

The Logitech G400 will be closest to what you were using, but there's tons of good mice now. You'll have to be more specific about what you want in terms of size and buttons and shape for better recommendations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Goo posted:

Generally speaking phantom doubleclicks and unintentional releases are related to microswitch wear causing bouncing that the debounce algorithms aren't able to compensate for. In reassembling the button/switch system you've, at least temporarily, corrected whatever issue the switch was having with its interaction with the keyplate. You'll probably be fine for a while, but will ultimately notice the failure happening again because in using the mouse you'll cause the misalignment or whatever to reoccur.

I had considered it before but this post reminded me of a project I wanted to do. I think I'm going to get my old wireless MX1000 out and replace the microswitch that was causing the unintended double clicking now. The battery may also need replacement by now (I stored it turned off but it's been that way for years) but it can't hurt to try! That was my favorite mouse (well the G500 is almost as good but I preferred the thumb and top buttons more on the MX1000).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

duckfarts posted:

I still have this bad motherfucker though:

Microsoft Strategic Commander, which sort of fits into the mouse category too as it slides around(and twists too!). It's also the only peripheral I can think of that let you truly bind buttons on demand; you hit the macro button, the button you want to program, do whatever you want on the keyboard, then press the button again and it's set - no need to gently caress with the software. It also had shift states too in the form of a 3-position switch.

I still have mine, too. I found some user created software to use it a couple of years back under win7 since even though my Sidewinder joystick from 1998 still has driver updates, the Strategic Commander updates got dropped. It's not as useful as a joystick, but it was pretty cool when it was useful.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Betjeman posted:

I just got a mouse bungee which pretty much does away with the cord issue for wired mice. Not hearing the cord drag against my desk any more is a bit of a revelation.

Although taping the cord to something high (like the top of a speaker) should work just as well.

Yeah I have one of the mouse weights that holds the cord on the desk, it's really nice for keeping just enough cord available to get around the mouse pad without dragging it over the edge of the table or getting in the way. Next time I think I'll save a few bucks and buy a big bolt or something else heavy at the hardware store, though. Luckily the mouse weight was a gift. The bungee is a little bit different because it gives you some elevation and I think that would be a nice improvement, although cheaper results could be achieved with a heavy thing and some coat hangar wire or tape like you suggested.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah, I don't own the S versions but from what I understand they're mostly the same as the original models aside from the case styling. I used the G500 for 3 years or so and recently switched to the G400 and I've found it to be a little more responsive when playing FPSes. The only thing I don't like is not being able to tilt the scroll wheel to scroll horizontally and that the G400 is a little lighter.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah, I was just referencing G400 vs. G500 as it's what I own, get the new version.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

HalloKitty posted:

I've had an original Ratpadz for so long, I couldn't say when it was bought. Probably 2002 or something. It's bent due to many, many years of being used on an armrest (livin' like poo poo), where a cloth one would be hopeless to me.

Still, once I get a place with an actual desk, who knows what I'll get. Probably another Ratpadz simply because it's served me well for so goddamn long.

Yeah I'm a fan of Ratpadz since Everglide stopped making their hard attack pads. If it's bent you can usually just flex it the other way and it's hard to beat the longevity at 20 bucks. Mine's getting a little worn down in the mouse area but it doesn't seem to cause any issues so far. I sort of miss everglide because they had a sideways shaped pad, now I use the ratpadz sideways but it's a little big so a good chunk of it doesn't get used.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

TheQat posted:

I guess longer vertically than horizontally, with some kind of indentation at the bottom so that the orientation makes a difference

Yeah, exactly, the indentation on the everglide was for their wrist rest which I need or my fingers start to go numb. Since I replaced it with the ratpadz I just turned the wrist rest around and use the pad sideways.

Here's the everglide with the wrist rest (no longer how I use it, seems like it's flattened out but it used to fit perfectly a few years ago):

Here's the ratpadz sideways with the same one (how I use it now):

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Konsek posted:

I've been using a Microsoft Optical Intellimouse for 8 years and it's been a hell of a good mouse. It's only just developed a fault with a sticky middle button, so I was thinking of getting a new one but I can't find the same one to buy. Suppose I'd better join the present and get a Logitech G400s or something.

All these years though I've been using it straight onto a wooden desk with no mousemat. Is a mousemat really important?

It's not as big of a deal since mice lost their balls, but it does keep the table from wearing. Some folks also use surfaces that don't track well (uniform and glossy, glass, etc).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tom Foolery posted:

I'm looking for good mouse for my surface pro. 80-90% of the time I'll be using the mouse on the bed and various bedding/couch material. When I google for this, the first thing that comes up is the M515. This mouse isn't really sold in stores anymore.

I was wondering if there was a similar and more recent mouse that would be suitable. The similarity I'm looking for is the completely closed off bottom section of the mouse.

I don't have any ideas for alternatives but the couch mouse (M515) is available on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Couch-Mouse-M515-Silver/dp/B004HIN8N2

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

404notfound posted:

Had a little LAN party this weekend and my Naga 2014 kept freaking out during UT2004 and Chivalry, and now I'm having problems with it suddenly shooting downward when I pick it up to reposition (I'm a low-sens player). I've always merely tolerated Razer's awful QC, but I think I'm finally done with this company. Gonna be Logitech all the way now, even if I don't like the mouse wheels as much. Gonna go down to my local Fry's and Best Buy and see if they have a G600 or maybe G602 (I guess I don't need that many thumb buttons).

Check that there's not a hair or some dust under the sensor. Little hairs stuck in the opening where the optics are can gently caress up tracking really badly.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

koolkal posted:

So my Logitech G3 is pretty much done after 5 years (the pads are worn and the laser is now starting to die I think) and I want something that's similar but not too expensive. What are my Logitech options? The G400S seems the closest since it's wired, has adjustable DPI settings, and a couple extra buttons without getting silly. The G100S looks similar with lower DPI and fewer buttons. Do they both have good software? Are there any others I should be looking into?

I'm pretty happy with the G400. As far as I know the G400S is essentially the same thing with crazy paint on it. I used a G500 before but felt it was lacking for twitch gaming after comparing the two. The only thing I miss from the G500 was a third thumb button and the scroll wheel tilting to go sideways (though it didn't seem to be well supported by most applications).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Megaman posted:

I'm going to ask the opposite of the Op title. What are some of the cheapest best mice that people own?

I like the Logitech G400. I think the G400S runs about 40 bucks, and sometimes goes cheaper on sales. For really cheap I just buy the Logitech M100 style mice: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Opti...=logitech+mouse

There are a few kinds that are similar and are usually at or under 10 bucks. I have a handful of this and similar on extra PCs that have lasted many years, although they don't have as much use as my G400 or G500.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm apparently the only goon on the planet who hated the Intellimouse because there wasn't a non-stupid way for me to control the mouse and have easy access to both side butts, so I always ended up clicking them at lovely times. Also, the ones I used always ended up having busted-rear end side butts so they would be all mushy and too easy to click.

The usb cable broke in mine so it would connect and disconnect randomly. I haven't had that problem with a mouse since. It was cool moving to a mouse without a ball in it, though. It was a huge improvement from those lovely sun sparc ones at college.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I was happy with the G400 but now I really want to try that mouse.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Dark One posted:

I love the shape and feel of my old MX-1000, but the middle click is becoming iffy and it barely holds a charge for the whole day. Is there a good (wired) mouse that that I can get that won't bathe me me and my room in neon colours?

The G400 and G500 (-S models are the current versions) are similarly shaped to the MX1000, although not exactly the same (slightly less hump and a smaller thumb ledge type area, the 400 is a bit less wide as well). The main difference I found between all of those models was the positioning of top buttons (the ones above and below the mouse wheel on the MX100), as well as the wheel features. The G500 has the side tilting like the MX1000, but adds in an ability to unlock it so it free spins, while the G400 doesn't do either of those. If you have a store nearby you might go put your hand on those and also see about the new G502 which is supposed to be the best and newest, while being similar to the G500. It has some LEDs on it but I'm guessing those can be turned off (I don't know for sure).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

burnsep posted:

Crossposting from the PC building thread:

Hey guys, About 6 years ago I bought the Logitech S510 mouse/keyboard bundle as part of a new build, and I've been very happy with it. The keyboard in particular is great. However, the left mouse button is crapping out and I haven't been able to solve the issue by cleaning it or yelling at it. It may be time to buy a new one.

That said, do all Logitech wireless mice work with the base I have? I'd really prefer to keep the keyboard if possible, it's really good.

As far as I can tell the combo receiver from that bundle isn't the unifying receiver that logitech uses now (which is compatible with different devices). See: https://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9462/section/troubleshoot/crid/403/lt_product_id/145/tabs/1,3,2,4,5/cl/us,en . You can still use a different mouse, you'll just need to use the new mouse receiver for it and the combo receiver as a keyboard only receiver so you'll lose one USB port.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

StickFigs posted:

Crossposting myself from the small questions thread.

I don't know if Microsoft has a comparable mouse out now but it could be any brand, I just want similar size, shape, weight, performance, price-point. I only need two mouse buttons and a clickable scroll wheel but more buttons would be nice. I don't need it to be ambidextrous either. I play primarily FPS games.

I haven't used one myself but from what I understand, the SteelSeries Sensei line is similar in shape to the Microsoft Intellimouse while having features for gamers as well:
http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Sensei-Laser-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B00BALXTGA/

If you just want something really basic the Logitech G100 is pretty good:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G100s-Optical-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B00BCEK2LK/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chuu posted:

My Logitech MX518 that I've used as my primary mouse for almost 10 years is finally starting to need a replacement. I've worn completely through the pads on the bottom and the rubber rests on top have worn to the plastic.

I'm trying to figure out what the current generation of this mouse is, but Logitech's site is a mess. Anyone here know?

Also, if it is the G500s, please tell me there is a way to turn the LEDs on that mouse off without having to install custom drivers.

The G400S is the current incarnation of the MX518. The G500S is a little bigger, has a side tilting wheel, more buttons, and is shaped slightly differently.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Grey Elephants posted:

My MX518 has starting freezing up for half seconds or a few seconds at a time (a big deal when playing Dota), and sometimes it'll freeze until I unplug/replug it. I think it's time to put the old boy away :smith:

What would be a good replacement? I want at least two or three side buttons and a decent price (<$50/$60).

The G400S is almost the same mouse as the MX518 with a higher dpi sensor if you like the shape.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

So I know these are scattered throughout the thread, but here's another positive Logitech support story. I won a G400 from World of Tanks during a contest they had in early 2012. I didn't open it right away but I've been using it for a year and a half or so. The USB cable seems to be failing because it randomly dies when moving left or right and won't reconnect until I use another USB plug, which will only last a little while until it happens again. Despite not "buying" the mouse, Logitech support got the manufacture date from the serial number and covered me under warranty anyway. They're shipping me a G400S to replace it for no charge and they don't even want the G400 back. After various crazy computer part RMAs I've had to do in the last 20 years, this was the easiest warranty support I've ever had to do.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

lewtt posted:

Need to get a new mouse. I was going to get Logitech Pro Proteus Super Ultra SSJ Sniper Core, but maybe someone has a better idea?

Thanks to the wonderful ingenuity of life saving pharmaceuticals, I've developed permanent essential tremors (Parkinson's-lite) that makes my hands mildly shake if I'm not holding a mouse quite firmly. I have to palm/fingertrip grip and hold the sides; if my palm and fingers aren't firmly situated, the cursor looks like it's attempting flamenco. I'm not sure if this means I need a really big or ergonomic mouse, so I'll post what I liked before.

Favorite mouse was undoubtedly the Zowie EC1 EVO (until it broke and I couldn't find a replacement).
Really liked the MX518.
Tried that amazon Anker thing and it was quite large, but I wasn't a major fan; it felt unexplainably awkward despite its size.
Currently using a Mionix NAOS 8200 and the ergonomics feel nice, but it's kind of lacking in the vertical department. I end up having to arch my hand a bit too much.

The Logitech G400S is the successor to the G400 which is the successor of the MX518 and is the same shape if you liked that one. The G402 hyperion thing is the successor to the 400S but it just came out so both should be available for a while. The G500/500S is similar in shape to the 400 but is a bit wider and the front is slightly higher. The nice thing about the G500 and G500S are that they have a weight tray so you can load them up if you want to and add a bunch of weights if the mouse isn't hefty enough for you. The downside is the laser sensor (which has been talked about a bit on the last couple of pages). For most things I was happy with the G500 but playing FPS games it really throws me off compared to the G400, so I've switched them permanently.

Unfortunately you may just have to try a few things before you find the right one since everyone's got different sized hands and specific needs, but I figured I'd let you know that the MX518 is still essentially alive as the G400S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Not to put Goo on the spot, but he's talked about bluetooth in the thread before and why it's not good for gaming mice:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222963&userid=30244&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post421554583

quote:

Bluetooth is a terrible gaming mouse protocol. The best case scenario is that you get an 8ms report rate out of it, and it's rare that that actually happens. We ship with dedicated receivers for G602 and G700/G700s in order to ensure that the communication is fast and consistent.