Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I need a new MMO mouse - one of those ones with the twelve button grid on the side. I've used a couple Razer Nagas, but it's stuck double left-clicking and the mouse wheel isn't rolling well. What are the good options these days for mmo mice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

staberind posted:

Probably find it on ebay or amazon. search for redragon perdition.

I said a good option, not a $30 cheapo from China I probably couldn’t even get in Canada.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Khorne posted:

Most logitech, and other brand, lmb/rmb mouse click failures are from dust and debris, not wear. Spraying contact cleaner into the switch will fix it for literal years to come.

Is contact cleaner different from just general windex or something? Wondering if it's worth trying to fix my Razer Naga instead of buying another mouse.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
How is Logitech’s warranty/replacement these days? My G600 has started double-clicking and it’s really annoying. I’m in Canada and I got it two and a half years ago I think?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Is there one of those fancy mmo mice with the number grid on the side that also has optical switches? Still debating what to replace my G600 with, and idk maybe I will take up MMOs again at some point.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Speaking of Razer, I’ve decided to step away from MMO mice so I’m either looking at the Deathadder or Basilisk (V2 with the optical switches, I don’t care about wireless.) I guess the Basilisk is more customizable and the Deathadder is more ergonomic out of the box, but I’m not super picky about mice as long as they have a couple customizable buttons. Tilt scroll wheel or whatever it’s called isn’t a big deal to me either way.

Does anyone have a recommendation either way?

e: I think I’m a fingertip grip person, so whichever mouse is better for that is likely the winner.

e2: I ordered the Deathadder.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 24, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

runawayturtles posted:

Unless you have very large hands you'll probably have trouble with a fingertip grip on the DeathAdder. I have medium-small hands and I can barely even claw grip it. The Basilisk works better for me for both of those grips (despite not being able to reach the sniper button). I certainly wouldn't call it less ergonomic either, but it's slightly heavier.

I guess I have monster hands then, since it's been working out great for me so far!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm B.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

K8.0 posted:

Razer's software wouldn't matter if you could turn the loving RGB off. But you can't. Not with any mouse I've ever seen. Logitech comes the closest, but every 3-6 months every one of their mice will conveniently "forget" that you want RGB off and make you use the poo poo-rear end software again.

If RGB must exist, the standard needs to be default off and let idiots install the cancer software to turn it on.

what (see attachment)

or do you mean you want it turned off and then it is just off in some on-mice memory and never needs to be touched in software again

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

i am harry posted:

Does anyone know much about controllers? Are there any good wired controllers that have the same configuration as the WiiU pro controller?
It’s wider than the xbox and ps ones, has both joysticks up top, and is about the only thing that doesn’t make my hands ache when I play with it

It’s not wired, but you can get an 8bitdo adapter to use a Wii U pro controller on other devices: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09M8CVMYF

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nazattack posted:

Are controllers Mice? I feel like they are.

I bought a Razer Wolverine V2 Chroma and both thumb sticks have broken off, and the A button has managed to get a dead body underneath it.

What controller can I use that makes transitioning to consoles not 100% absolute poo poo?

Edit: it's not like im throwing this POS across the room. It's in my hand and no... doing anything specials on my Xbox or my PC

as someone with a wolverine v2 what the gently caress did you do to it, that thing is built like a tank

edit: i know razer has quality control issues but if you physically BROKE both thumb sticks i genuinely would make sure you're not crushing the controller with your fists of lead or something

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah that was my initial reaction as well. I've got the original Wolverine Ultimate but it's been used and abused for 2 1/2 years now and the rubber back's not even peeling (yet). It's easily the most robust peripheral I've owned in recent memory.

Aren't the sticks hot-swappable on both the V1 and V2 Wolverine? I can't imagine physically breaking them before they just sort of...magnetically decoupled from the controller first.

That's a thing on the Chroma and the Ultimate, which neither of us have. So maybe the OP just accidentally disconnected them without knowing it?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

theratking posted:

I sometimes use my computer from my bed which is about 10 feet away from it. I've had mixed luck with previous mice. Is there anything on the market that specializes in:
- Longish range (across a small room)
- Non-flat surfaces like a bed

This is gonna sound absurd and it’s probably not cheap these days, but what about a trackball with either a usb extension cable or wireless? A trackball won’t care about operating on a bed instead of a desk.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

My G602 finally died for real :( But I bought a G604 which is an upgrade in every way - except the mouse wheel.

The G602 had a nice rubbery mouse wheel with great grip. The G604 is just plastic with some grooves on it and, with it's strong spring, feels incredibly slippery. It's probably not something that would bother most people, but my hands were burned when I was young and my fingertips don't have much in the way of grip left on them, so it is an issue for me.

As weird as it feels to ask this, is there a wax or anything you can use to increase grip? I was thinking of buying some finger wax dart players use and rubbing that on it.

EDIT: okay, one trip to the sports store later and can confirm - finger wax does a great job of giving me enough grip. $5 for a little lump of wax is much better than looking for a new mouse.

People use grip tape on mice all the time. Not sure how that or “finger wax” would work on the wheel which is rotating inside the body and rubbing on stuff though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

I keep waiting for Logi or Razer to start having their receivers built into laptops. Why use an external USB port?

That’s Bluetooth. The problem is that basic bitch Bluetooth sucks for a lot of poo poo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

change my name posted:

A wireless mouse connecting over a dedicated USB dongle can hit 2000Hz polling rate, or up to 8000 with add-ons (which Razer sells separately, for instance). Bluetooth tops out at 125Hz. There's no such thing as a universal USB-type mouse receiver that companies would be willing to put into a laptop because companies intentionally gate that kind of thing.

Yes. I agree, that’s why I said it. There’s already a universal enough wireless standard on most every computer for mice. lovely mice, but it works enough that Mom can get a mouse and just connect it and it works.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

The bolded part is why I want the receiver built in. I want 2.4Ghz in all of its 1ms latency glory.

That's the point though. There's no incentive for anyone to do it. The only exception might maybe be Razer shipping a special mouse with one of their laptops for synergy's sake.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Dumb semi-related question: is there anything I can buy to keep my hands warm while using a mouse? I’m thinking like a giant mitten that’s flat at the bottom that can accommodate a palm a mouse and then some. Or something like that.

A pair of winter gloves? Maybe one of those ones with the mitten you can fold back to have free fingers while you get a nice warm palm still.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MuadDib Atreides posted:

why is this $50? looks like a hunk of junk no offense. The price is slashed 50% according to scamazon

that mouse or a style very similar to it has been in production for over 20 years, but microsoft has announced they're quitting peripheral manufacturing/sales. so you have a lot of people who have grown used to that particular mouse over decades buying as many as they can to keep going with, while the remaining merchants are spiking the price to get a nice bit of profit off those people stockpiling.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PirateBob posted:

What is dpi shift used for?

Sniping in FPSes. The different DPI can be used effectively when trying to pixel hunt through a scope.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What’s the go to for mmo mouse (12 key side pad) these days? I had good luck with Razer in the past, tried the Logitech and kind of hated it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Corsair has an MMO mouse that I can get at a reasonable price. Unless the recent versions of the Naga come with those laser switches that don't develop double clicking over time, I'll probably go with that. The Redragon has the ridge in the middle of the side button grid (splitting it into two sets of six) which is what I hated most about the G600, so that's a no-go for me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Optical switches do not develop double clicking.

Exactly, that's what I said. However, looking at the website the Naga still uses mechanical switches, so I went with the Corsair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

Corsair has an MMO mouse that I can get at a reasonable price. Unless the recent versions of the Naga come with those laser switches that don't develop double clicking over time, I'll probably go with that. The Redragon has the ridge in the middle of the side button grid (splitting it into two sets of six) which is what I hated most about the G600, so that's a no-go for me.

Got the Corsair, 99% happy with it, I do wish mouse buttons 4 and 5 were in a better place instead of back towards the top of my palm, but it’s not a huge deal.