Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Picked up a RAT7, and used it for about a week and a half. I really loved the weight system, but the thing was not comfortable at all. It has too many hard edges and it just annoys your palms and fingers. I'm the laziest person in the world, and that's why I used it for over a week just hoping I would get used to it. I just got fed up and took it back.

Picked up a Steelseries Sensei and it's a million times better. It very comfortable from the start, and it just seems smoother overall. The exactaim function seems to be helping a bit as well. I didn't know it came with all these weird options. The only thing I'm missing is the weight system. I really liked how "solid" the RAT7 felt. If Steelseries could come out with this and a weight system, I'd buy 10 of em and use them for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

signalnoise posted:

It's very comfortable but requires a lot of adjustment (Which is what it's designed for anyway)

For me, it didn't have any way to adjust the upper palm, rather than the lower which can go in and out, and even up and down. But the upper is just "set". The ring and pinky finger were also uncomfortable as well. The tray add-on was your only choice. If they had it adjustable like the thumb tray, it may have solved it. It was just not round enough overall, I guess.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Daynab posted:

I bought a Steelseries Sensei and have been using it for about 3 weeks now, and am pretty happy with it. Due to it being ambidextrous it's not as comfortable as an ergonomic one, but other than that it's pretty neat. I had to get used to using my mouse with 3 fingers however, that was really the hardest part.

It's pretty heavy, which I like.

The software from Steelseries is the deepest one I've ever seen for a mouse so far too, you can control everything. It even has a setting for how high the laser works for lifting your mouse.

Still loving mine as well. It really is "smooth" compared to other mice I've used. The DPI settings are great in PS2 where you want faster movement for vehicles, and slower movement for infantry. Picked up the Kana for the girlfriend and she's enjoying it as well. It's basically a basic version of the Sensei, still has the DPI switching tho which is good.

Ergonomic mice bug my ring and pinky fingers for some reason. Need ambidextrous mice or I want to smash things.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 27, 2012

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Mice mostly only had two buttons when they first came out (Well, one if you were an Apple person), that's why no one uses their middle finger on the middle button. I suppose younger people might, but that just makes me feel super old.

Memories...

Philthy fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 7, 2013

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'd probably prefer if I could actually use a mouse that way to be honest. Most ergonomic mice make my hands hurt, and that is probably why. It's too bad it feels like i'm trying to throw left handed when I attempt it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
If something feels weird on your finger with a mouse, that is all you're ever going to feel. I'd probably give it a pass.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Zigmidge posted:

Ridiculous statement. People get used to things, unless you're stubborn, in which case nobody should be listening to you for advice anyways.

Sorry, this is an ergonomics issue, you never get "used" to things like this. Do you keep shoes that were too big or small? No. This is no different. If the mouse feels weird, return it and find something that fits. He said his thumb is too big for the rest, you don't get used to that.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 1, 2013

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Chickenwalker posted:

Went out and bought a Razer DeathAdder today. Really wanted to get the Naga for the extra buttons but didn't figure it worth $30 extra.

Then I read the reviews and holy jesus do these things seem to fall apart. Story after story of the mousewheel going nuts or getting unintentional double clicks all within the first six months. I've had this old MX 310 for over two years and it still works perfectly despite loads of abuse.

All their wired mice have 2 year warranties. Keep your receipt.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Chickenwalker posted:

So how do people feel about Steel Series in comparison? My laptop's keyboard is Steel Series branded and it's pretty nice. Only problem is Steel Series is pretty much impossible to find in brick and mortar places over here, so I'd have to order it and that means there's a good chance it might be fake given where I'm located.

I've got the Sensei and my GF has the Kana. Both have been really great. I like all the options on the Sensei for gaming, and actually use them. Build quality so far has been fine. The Kana is basically the same as the Sensei minus the gaming options and configurable LED colors.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Went down the keyboard rabbit hole, and now I have a few pretty cool keyboards I can take apart and customize at a whim.

I'm looking at my old G305 mouse, and the wheel is starting to slip, and it's dirty as hell. I do like the form factor, it's a traditional 5 button mouse that feels good in the hand. I've tried the first wave of gaming mice like 15 years ago that looked like Gundams with weights and sharp edges, and those hurt my hands and returned them all in favor of just using the latest Logitech that looks like the G305 since.

Are there any mice that are equivalent to the mod-able keyboards? That is to say, completely able to be opened, cleaned, maintained, maybe the shells with multiple colors, weights and switches and wheel types that are swappable from clicky / bumpy to not?

Failing that, how about a mouse like the G305 that can be maintained and cleaned without having to peel back stickers to get at screws and such?

Edit: Wireless

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 10, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Asus mice are probably as close as you are going to get. They are designed to be opened up without removing the mouse feet.

Thanks! The Gladius / Keris looks like a good place to start and see if I like the feel. Being able to open it up and having full access to the wheel like that is probably good enough.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 10, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Got the Asus Gladius III. It's a nice form factor, comes apart easily and comes with clicky and light clicky swappable button switches. I put the quieter ones in and they sound good. The wheel is complete and total garbage, though. It has a single post it's connected to, and the other side of the wheel is just resting on a button all loose. It makes rattle noises with no way to fix it. It's way too light and cheap feeling. This is ultimately a $15 mouse being sold for $80. I've got a Razer Basilisk on the way to see how that compares.

I have a feeling I'll be just ordering another G305. The race for "light" being somehow better just means they have an excuse to use cheap materials, I think.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I went with the Basilisk Ultimate because the of the manual tension adjustment. The v3 is just on or off for the tension. Reviewers seemed to like the manual better. Plus the Ultimate is almost half the cost, so why not. It's also heavier, which I also prefer. Guess I'll find out this week hopefully.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 16, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Doesn't the mouse go to sleep on it's own? Not sure why anything would need to be on to charge.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The ribs were something I like the feel of. I also tried the grip tape that came with it, and that actually feels really nice as well. I would imagine as finger sweat/gunk/whatever would end up making the tape slick or worn out over time though. I've been using it for almost a week now and I do really like it overall, but the wheel is so annoying, I glare at it being lovely. The original? versions that were disassembled on YouTube from a few years back show the wheel being held down on both sides of the center post. The version I have it's only one side and there is nowhere for a second strap down anymore - it just free-rests on the middle mouse switch. They simply removed it all from the latest version that I can tell, which makes the wheel a little loose and rattly. The light weight issue is easily solved by putting poster putty into the shell until it feels right. PP also works well for silencing loud space bars as well.

Oh well. Basilisk is out for delivery today.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 18, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Basilisk Ultimate arrived yesterday. It's a very solid feeling mouse, doesn't feel cheap at all. The wheel is phenomenal. The adjustment controls are okay, but once you set it to freewheel, there is no going back. Why any mice wheels come with bumps is beyond me, freewheel is amazing. Unfortunately, the mouse isn't comfortable for me. I went back to the Gladius III and it just feels so much nicer, the button clicks are way better, it's really really comfortable. I was doing maps in Path of Exile with both mice. I'd do one map with the Basilisk, then one map with the Gladius, over and over. Yeah, the Gladius is way way comfier and the buttons are just better. But it has the worlds shittiest wheel and it feels cheap as hell.

I went back to my G305 and it's not nearly as comfy as the Gladius, either.

If they could get the Basilisk wheel into the Gladius I'd be in heaven. Maybe eventually someone will make swappable wheels for mice.

At the end of the day it's about comfort, and I can do what I originally set out to do as well: Be able to open it up and clean the wheel easier if it ever gets gunked up.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 19, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Usually clamping to a treadmill will be too shaky for something like that. I use a music stand for mine.

Edit: Sorry, missed the part it's at your gym. Probably don't want to look like a goon walking in with a music stand. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So, after trying the Razer Basilisk Ultimate, Razer Naga V2 Pro, and ROG Gladius III for a few weeks side by side I've decided on the Razer Naga V2 Pro.

Razer Basilisk Ultimate - This had really loud and clicky mouse button switches. Overall feel was very solid. The mouse wheel was close to perfect. The adjustment to no-notched spin was really nice. However, my ring finger and pinky had nowhere to go. It sat so low that they just dragged on the mouse mat, and they wouldn't grip the right side properly on their own. After a while it was just uncomfortable. Weight is on the heavier side.

ROG Gladius III - Replaceable mouse switches, and opens up really easy to get inside. Comes with a loud and silent pair of mouse switches (They may even have shorter click resistance? I couldn't tell). I installed the more silent pair and they felt good clicking. Way better than the Basilisk. This mouse stands higher, so my ring and pinky gripped fine on the right side. Overall, it felt REALLY good. The mouse was my first "light" mouse. It is so nice to use at that weight. i can see why gamers went that direction, it just feels nice, and it glides so much easier. However, the wheel is total poo poo. It rattled. It didn't feel solid. It had no option for notch less scrolling. I thought this would be the perfect mouse if they offered a version with that option.

Razer Naga V2 Pro - I was afraid to try this because it's so expensive. Since Amazon is so easy to return, why not? First off, this is a very heavy mouse. It feels very solid in the hand. It sits higher like the Gladius III did as well. It almost feels like this mouse was molded from my own hand. It has a ring finger rest, and the pinky rests on the right side on its own without thinking. Of the three it fits the best; however, the weight is noticeable. After playing PoE and other games with all three, this mouse never made my hand uncomfortable after any amount of time, regardless of the weight. It has swappable left side panels for three configurations: 2 buttons, 6 buttons, and 12 buttons. They are all using strong magnets and don't feel cheap at all. All the mouse buttons, including the side buttons felt the best out of all three mice. They simply have a premium feel when you click them. The wheel on this mouse is probably as close as you can get to perfection for me. It uses some sort of magnetic way of letting you set how many notches you want the wheel to have, and how hard it is to turn the wheel in the software. It can even tell when you're using a web browser and set the wheel to free, and then back to notched when you're in a game. The software lets you set no notches, or up to 96 notches per revolution. Setting it on the highest tension it takes quite a bit of effort to spin the wheel, while setting it on the lowest it spins feely but not endless like the Logitech. I've just been using the two button side plate, and I'm incredibly happy with the mouse, despite the weight. I don't get too into FPS games as hardcore as others might, so I'm not so sure it'll make any difference.