Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

unpronounceable posted:

My Corsair Scimitar Pro is double clicking, so I'm looking for a new mouse. I don't care about adjustable dpi or lights, but I do like having a bunch of programmable buttons. Size wise, it was good, but I liked my Logitech G602 a bit better. Actually, if it were available, I'd probably just get another one.

I have a mild preference for wired over wireless, and a budget of up to $100 CAD before tax. Any suggestions?

idk if the Razer Basilisk V2 has enough buttons for you, but it's an excellent mouse for the price. Solid build, optical switches, PTFE mousefeet, flexible cable. It doesn't have as many side buttons as your old mouse and the Rival 5, but you can rebind and sideclick the middle mouse button like logitech mice. It doesn't have infinite scroll though.

You can also use the sniper button as hypershift which let's you program another set of macros to any button. If you palm grip the mouse, you should have no problem hitting the sniper button. I use a claw grip and have to shift my grip to hit it though so it mostly goes unused.

e: it's 70 CAD right now on amazon and bestbuy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Surprise T Rex posted:

If they're all broadly the same for comfort, I think I'm knocking the Corsair out of the running just because it doesn't have tilt on the mouse wheel (which I find super helpful scrolling around the web/code, plus extra MMO keybinds). Between the Naga Pro and the G600 though, I'd struggle to decide. I'm not sure whether the ring-finger button on the G600 would be good or bad, but Razer products don't have a stellar reputation for longevity.

Could just be my experience, but Razer products have been better quality than Logitech ones for a while now. The Razer optical switches are great too. Another thing to consider is that Logitech mice have infinite scroll wheels. e: nvm the G600 doesn't have that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 25, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

K8.0 posted:

list of optical switch mice

From the top of my head: Razer, Roccat, Steelseries(only their Prime mice), Coolermaster MM731. Probably missing a mouse or two. Honorable mention to some Asus mice that let you hotswap the switches which also gets around the double click issue.

Kitfox88 posted:

Looking for a corded mouse with at least three buttons and a scroll wheel, been using a logitech g300 for a year or so and have found it fine but the left clicker is failing and so I’m kinda against dropping cash for a new one after it only lasting that long. Don’t need anything fancy, are there any suggestions for a sturdy enough mouse to swap for it that won’t break the bank?

Try any mouse from the above list. Even better if you can give it a shot in person to see if you like the shape. All of them except Coolermaster should have a wired option that fits your criteria while also being inexpensive.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Klyith posted:

That brings up an interesting question: how many people here, in your normal mouse grip, have your fingers in A vs B?
a) middle on the mouse wheel all the time, ring on right click
b) middle on right click, ring for grip only, shift a finger to use wheel

B. But I also use my middle finger to scroll not my index finger.

A / 131 style is just weird to me. Also it feels cramped with all 3 fingers across the top unless you have a seriously wide mouse.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AfricanBootyShine posted:

So far, I'm thinking of getting:
Logitech MX Master 3

I've heard good things about the MX Master 3 from a friend who has one. The highlights being the main and side scrolling.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

KinkyJohn posted:

Will these new fangled Optical Switches that I'm seeing in the Razer Naga Pro last forever?

I've had so many past issues with logitech's switches that I am considering switching(heh) brands.

idk if they will last forever, but they shouldn't develop double clicking problems.

I love the naga pro. It's extremely comfortable.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Thoom posted:

How are the Razer drivers these days? Aside from the dumb cloud login thing, I mean. When I last used a Naga, Synapse was terrible and could often take a second or more to recognize I'd alt tabbed and switch profiles. Is that fixed? Do they have any compatibility with UWP/Game Pass games?

I've heard synapse 3 is less terrible / buggy than 2, but I've used it for maybe 40 mins or so while I set up my mouse profiles, reassigning mouse buttons, dpi settings and to turn off rgb. You only need to have synapse running if you want to use something besides the default RGB. iirc even basic macros work without synapse, but if you want to assign a button to open a program then you need to use it.

At least now you can use synapse offline as a guest and you don't need to make an account to log in :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

K8.0 posted:

Unbelievably bad, but so is all mouse software. You can't fully turn RGB off no matter what, profile saving to mouse straight up doesn't work so you have to run Synapse if you want RGB even mostly gone, and if it decides to install Cortex on you you've got a huge backdoor open that eats a few hundred megs of unpageable memory every hour.

Corsair's software is arguably worse, Logitech's is about as bad but Logitech at least lets you properly disable RGB via onboard profiles for the most part, although every Logitech mouse I've seen will occasionally "forget" that you want RGB disabled and turn it back on, forcing you to reinstall it to deal with that.

This is just straight up not true at all.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

huh posted:

I love my 2 month old Logitech MX Master 3.

Except for:

* The scroll wheel back-scrolls just a smidge when you stop scrolling down page. I think a tiny bit more friction would be better. My old MX Master 2 did not have this problem.

* The bluetooth connection is flaky. Every 30 minutes or so the mouse will disconnect (while I'm mid-mousing). The bluetooth icon appears in the taskbar and the number underneath the mouse flashes (indicating lost connection). It re-connects within 10 seconds. But this one really sucks.

So, I guess I don't really love it all. I hate it.

You should replace it with another if you can. Especially for the bluetooth connection thing, assuming it's the mouse and not your own hardware set up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ynglaur posted:

I like my G604, but the RMB is starting to fail during hold-right-click and I'm wondering if a smaller mouse will be easier on my wrist.

Any recommendations/thoughts on the Razer Viper Ultimate or the Logi G305? I realize those are fairly different mice. I'd like to have something I don't blush to bring into a corporate office. I really enjoy the feel of a G502 (I have a wired one) but...transformer mice :barf:.

The Viper Ultimate has optical switches, so it has that over the g305.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

So my G502 Lightspeed has a the switch problem on the back button, of all buttons. It double clicks about 3/4 of the time, and the other 1/4 it normal clicks. I didn't expect this to be as annoying as it is, but since I'm often going through tons of nested folders for work, it's actually proven to be incredibly annoying. I believe I'm just outside of warranty (e: checked, by 7 days lmao), and given I live in a city in SEA where warranty void if removed stickers are totally legal, the warranty companies Logitech and other big companies outsource to will absolutely deny you warranty without original receipt which I've probably lost, and the idea of post-sale customer support is a wholly alien concept, I doubt they're going to be kind to me.

So I'm now looking at the copy paste job from Razer, the Basilisk Ultimate. I love the shape and weight of the 502. Does anybody know if the optical switches on the Basilisk Ultimate are just for M1/M2, or are they for every button? Also, is the dock in any way worth it, or am I better off saving 20 bucks and just getting the mouse and charging the old fashioned way?

Thanks.

Pretty sure the optical switches are just for the main buttons. If you can spare the extra 20 bux, I'd get the bundle with the charging dock. It's nice to be able to just throw it on there at the end of the day / once in a while and never have to worry about the charge getting low.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

LordAdakos posted:

I still use a g600 because there are enough buttons.

Recently picked up an evga x15 and it's nice. It's got the equivalent of a g shift key, the button placement isn't horrible, and the clicks feel good.

I miss the grid of the g600 but it's growing on me.

If you are looking for a mouse with lots of buttons, I like the evga x 15 and have no complaints so far.

Plus optical switches and right now a 30 usd price tag.

Good to read more x15 thoughts. Reviews seem to be scarce online.

I'm glad that another company has decided to copy the 3rd mouse button / g shift key. I hope EVGA releases a wireless version sometime in the future because that would definitely great.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Should I bother turning off my G305, or is it not going to make much of a difference to battery life?

From what I've read, it won't make too much of a difference. Might lose like 1% charge overnight. I just leave mine on, but I have never bothered to actually check the battery % if I turned it off / left it on overnight.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bumper Stickup posted:

Hey so my Logitech G502 hero has started to drop clicks on the left click after about 2 years of use. Did some googling and this seems to be a common issue with this series with only temp fixes for it. Anybody have recommendations for something similar so I can replace it? Or just recommendations in general? Bought this one purely because it was weighted, the weight was adjustable, and it had the side buttons right under my thumb.

The Razer Basilisk has the same shape. The basilisk v3 and ultimate both have optical switches, so they won't start double clicking.

I guess it doesn't have adjustable weights if that was a big deal for you. I can't think of any modern mice besides the g502 that still have adjustable weights.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

In the past six years I've managed to kill four Corsair mice -- one dead mouse wheel, two dead right mouse buttons, and now a dead middle mouse button. Kinda getting tired of this. Are Logitechs still good? Looking at the G403 since I don't need that many buttons, just a couple DPI options and forward/back side buttons.

Logitech haven't been good in a while

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

astral posted:

That was not my experience with the Razer Deathadder (2013), Razer Deathadder Chroma, or the Razer Deathadder Eseential I set up for someone else. Once initially configured and razer software uninstalled, the lights stayed off.

Some models don't have onboard storage though. Always get the ones with onboard storage.

I think his mouse is just broken. I haven't run into anyone else with a razer mouse that has his RGB issue.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Humerus posted:

:words: about naga pro

Just to add to this: the newer naga pros have usb-c, but as mentioned the port on the mouse will basically only fit razer's cable unless you want to shave the sides of your usb connector a bit.

You can also buy a knockoff dock for like 20bux and it works just as well.

I also just swap between the 2 and 6 button layout most of the time. The size of the buttons never bothered me on 6 and 12 button sideplate attachments and the clicks are solid and responsive while not being mushy.

e: I was wrong. It's still micro usb on the actual mouse. The knockoff dock I'm using is connected with usb-c, which is where I got confused.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 26, 2022

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kestral posted:

For the Basilisk, since the Ultimate has onboard profiles, does that mean you can uninstall Synapse after the initial setup? And if so, will the RGB stay off via those onboard profiles? I would dearly love to never interact with Razer software again, but being able to turn RGB off and keep it off is a must.

You can turn off the rgb and it will stay off.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HolHorsejob posted:

Anyone got a good rec for a mouse in the $60ish range? My razer atheris is turning off randomly for minutes at a time, looking for something similar (portable, not too small, thumb buttons). Build quality I'd want to max out, with bonus points for:

- dual-mode bt/dongle
- wired charging & use
- replaceable dongles

The orochi v2 seems to have the same shape and dual bt/wireless connectivity. It also fits the price range.

It doesn't have wired charging or use. It uses AA or AAA batteries but you can use rechargeable ones. I assume you can probably use any razer dongle for it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Vegetable posted:

As someone with a glass desk, a glass mousepad sounds like a real bad idea. It’s gonna get grimy and fingerprinty real quick, and there’s nothing you can do about it, short of wearing gloves. The only reason I haven’t gotten rid of my glass desk is because I can’t find a way to get it out the bedroom door. Glass bad.

The surface and texture are different enough that it's not a grime or fingerprint magnet. Just wiping it down once in a while keeps it clean too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

K8.0 posted:

I just want to shout out how much I love that Razer has completely broken Synapse again and now there's no way to disable RGB without pulling my mouse apart.

And a sincere, deeply personal gently caress you to everyone who likes RGB.

Why do you keep updating Synapse? I figured after your last problem you would've just rolled it back to a less broken version. Or you just did the fix and stopped updating it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

katkillad2 posted:

I asked this a little over a year ago and didn't get any responses.

Is there anything similar to the wired Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse in size/form factor but better quality? These things start doing double click inputs on a single click after a year or so and I'm on like my 4th one and it's starting again.

Razer Naga probably. It has optical switches for the main buttons. There's also the Corsair Scimitar for a similar shape but idk how good the build quality on that one is.

e: I've been using my Naga Pro for just over a year now and I have had 0 problems with it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Inept posted:

I've read that razer's software needs to be running to supress the rgb, which sounds terrible.

It doesn't. The RGB on my mouse is off right now and I haven't turned on Synapse in months.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

repiv posted:

there's some variance in how well calibrated the DPI settings are between mice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbzs5IFCoMQ&t=189s

razer slightly under- or over-shoots the target in that test while logitech is dead on the mark

As long as the mouse isn't randomly changing the dpi, it's fine. It's not clickbait, but it doesn't really matter that much.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 24, 2023

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

K8.0 posted:

Welp, the middle button my Viper Ultimate is dying. Really stupid that Razer doesn't put ALL optical switches on their mice.

Are there any manufacturers that have optical switches beyond just the lmb and rmb?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 6, 2023

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ofecks posted:

Can I get a list of brands that offer optical switches on the buttons?

From most to least: Razer, Steelseries(prime series), Roccat, Cooler Master, Logitech.
Might be a few more companies.

e: Not related to optical switches but another option for longevity might be an Asus mouse. They have some models that let you easily swap out the mechanical switches for the left and right mouse buttons. Just pop off the magnetic shell and replace them. They are the only company that does this since they have the patent.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 7, 2023

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ofecks posted:

Thanks! I think I could do the ASUS, providing there are instructions, and I'm told where to buy new switches and what type I'd need for the particular model.

I forgot to mention that'd I'd much prefer to get a battery-powered mouse. I bought a bunch of Eneloops for mainly that purpose. The G305 uses a single AA and it lasts months. I assume I won't be getting that kind of battery life with optical buttons. Looks like Razer doesn't even offer anything like that. The models I'm interested in are all USB-rechargeable. That's not what I want. I'll keep looking.

There will be instructions in the box. iirc they even include another set of switches in the box. And you can buy omron or kailh or any other 3 pin mouse switch from amazon. I do remember seeing a list of compatible mouse switches, but it was pretty long so it's almost certainly not an issue.
I don't think the mice ran on AA batteries though.

That Kone Air looks neat. I would've assumed that there weren't any mice that used AA batteries and optical switches, but I guess there is one. Hope it works out for you.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Anecdotal but I've never had a logitech scroll wheel die on me or heard about it loving up for anyone else. It's seems to be solid or better than the rest on that front. The switches however...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

change my name posted:

I've had it happen to literally every Logitech mouse I've ever owned within a year

Haha welp :negative:

neogeo0823 posted:

Oh, it's not the scroll wheel, it's the middle mouse button. The scroll wheel works just fine, but the button really seems to only work if I press down at a specific angle. It also will sometimes work if I blow into the mouse at the button, but only for a bit.

Ah, gotcha. I misunderstood what you meant. I have heard about middle clicks not registering / straight up breaking(lol corsair mice) from a good amount of people. Seems like it's still equally unreliable across all brands.
So idk, just go to bestbuy and try a bunch in hand to see which is the most comfortable to use in your price range. Then accept that it might work for long time or die in a year. :smith:

e: for inexpensive suggestions: I recently bought a wired razer cobra for a friend and the scroll wheel and middle click seem solid. It's inexpensive(and frequently goes on sale to even less) and has optical switches for LMB/RMB so at the very least those won't die on you. Though it's probably still a coin flip for longevity of the middle click.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 24, 2023

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cabbages and Kings posted:

The Basilisk (v3 pro) in both free scrolling and locked positions, has a wheel that is Just Better (IMO) than the g502 wheel, and the g502 is boxed up and about to head back to Amazon.

I was curious as to how their new scroll wheel would match up when compared against the g502. So good to know.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Echophonic posted:

Thoughts on the ROG Spatha X? I like the look of the side buttons and it looks like it actually has 6 of them on the side. Seems like a similar profile to the G602, as well. I've heard Armory Crate is a nightmare from hell?

It is extremely heavy coming in at 168g. Looks like the G602 is 102g.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TheParadigm posted:

I could use some advice. I'm looking for a mouse for gaming/light casual use that has a minimum of 3 thumb buttons on it. 5-6 would be great if they're close by, but nobody seems to make those anymore.

My g500 is dying, and I've gotten way to used to having back/forward and enter on the thumb button that I don't want to go back.

Unfortunately, it seems like I missed the wave of logitech's mmo mouse which would have been perfect, and most of their new stuff are only 2 thumb buttons.

I figure there's something out there, but its slightly demoralizing to have a mouse last so long that all the replacements I'd have -liked to buy- are pushing 120$+ on ebay/secondhand.

The Steelseries Rival 5 has five buttons on the side. Well one of them is a paddle button thing you press up and down.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Philthy posted:

Are there any mice that are equivalent to the mod-able keyboards? That is to say, completely able to be opened, cleaned, maintained, maybe the shells with multiple colors, weights and switches and wheel types that are swappable from clicky / bumpy to not?

Asus mice are probably as close as you are going to get. They are designed to be opened up without removing the mouse feet.
The switches are hotswappable. The newest mice even let you use optical or mechanical switches.
The mouse wheel is still soldered in, but at least you can clean it(or remove if it you want to do some soldering). And you can probably swap out the battery pretty easily too since it's just sitting there once you pop off the shell. idk if they sell different colored shells.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Philthy posted:

Got the Asus Gladius III. It's a nice form factor, comes apart easily and comes with clicky and light clicky swappable button switches. I put the quieter ones in and they sound good. The wheel is complete and total garbage, though. It has a single post it's connected to, and the other side of the wheel is just resting on a button all loose. It makes rattle noises with no way to fix it. It's way too light and cheap feeling. This is ultimately a $15 mouse being sold for $80. I've got a Razer Basilisk on the way to see how that compares.

I have a feeling I'll be just ordering another G305. The race for "light" being somehow better just means they have an excuse to use cheap materials, I think.

Well that's disappointing :(

I wonder if the v3 Basilisk will have a nice scroll wheel. I think it's using a magnetic system to adjust the tension.
They redid it after the v2 one was poorly received because it could sometimes have problems registering scrolls or double scrolling. Almost certainly because of their manually adjustable tension system.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arivia posted:

Corsair has an MMO mouse that I can get at a reasonable price. Unless the recent versions of the Naga come with those laser switches that don't develop double clicking over time, I'll probably go with that. The Redragon has the ridge in the middle of the side button grid (splitting it into two sets of six) which is what I hated most about the G600, so that's a no-go for me.

Optical switches do not develop double clicking.