Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

evensevenone posted:

Goddamn. Hard to believe you didn't have to bracket shots to get that kind of range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Me and the wife went on vacation (well, it was a business trip for my wife, but I was on vacation), 8 days in Ireland, 4 days in Rome. I went all geared-up with my dSLR, but honestly I took almost as many photos with my phone. I got into instagramming poo poo in a big way.

Everything shot with the iphone camera, and edited in Snapseed. Afterglow is another app I've used a bit lately, but I still stick with Snapseed, mostly.

Dublin

Train Station Guys. I swear, I thought I was sneaky; it wasn't until I saw this on a monitor that I realized that guy totally saw me doing this...and smiled anyway.

Obelisco della Minerva

Pantheon

Pantheon Oculus

Chiesa Del Gesu

Rome Alley

Vatican Museum, Spiral Staircase

Rome Street

Plane Guy

Pantheon

Sunset

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Wow, this is perfect for me. Thanks for mentioning it, I didn't really click with Snapseed but this is fantastic!
Afterglow gives you an amazing amount of control, with better built-in filters, but for some reason I get better results with snapseed; I need to spend more time with afterglow. I'm just happy to finally have apps that let you straighten more exactly than at 45 degree angles, that used to drive me nuts.

HPL posted:

Oddly, plane guy is the best photo.
I'm partial to the first one, with those zig-zagging lights, but yeah, that guy is one of my favorites. So glad he didn't catch me doing that; it would've made for one damned awkward six-hour plane ride.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Goddamnit, that's me, "old doors." I do pretty well avoiding all the rest of it, but I'm a sucker for old doors.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

Snapseed is free in the App Store - i think its an excellent program, especially at that price.
There was an update this morning, I noticed the splashscreen now says "Google+ Snapseed" - I'm betting there's some people over at Snapseed HQ who became millionaires over the weekend.

The update has some really nice stuff, too. Better frames, new and improved presets, light leaks, scratches - basically, in one update they removed half the reasons I ever needed to use Afterglow at all. Afterglow still has the best controls I've seen for fine tuning, it's just more than I need.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

PREYING MANTITS posted:

The best part of flying, going through the three hundred cloud photos taken to pass the time.
I don't even remember the last time I flew where I wasn't stuck right over the wing, with nothing to shoot; this is awesome.

This is gorgeous.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

so the new instagram update kinda screwed people over who import images from albums other than the camera roll :/
Could this be a way of preventing those dirty, cheating bastards from posting dSLR shots on instagram? Not that it actually prevents that, but it does at least slow you down by a few seconds. Otherwise I can't think of any good reason why they've done this at all; I just don't see the benefit to it.

Hell, nevermind my reasoning; it's not like they're concerned with quality, a cursory glance at the "popular" page cancels that out.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

it is annoying because it also circumvents people editing pics in other apps like vsco or snapseed. Hopefully there is a patch for it because the fun thing about instagram is the sharing not necessarily the filters
Not sure I get what you're saying here. I still use Snapseed for my edits, and I can still post something to instagram in one of two ways: hit the export arrow and choose "open in..." and choose instagram, or "save to photo library," and then browse to that from instagram. Since Snapseed saves to the camera roll, that works.

Dominoes posted:

Why is post-processing every image so important? I notice many of the photos posted here over heavily processed, to the point where the colors don't look obviously manipulated.
Eh, a lot of times for instagram I'll process photos in a way I like, but wouldn't necessarily do with my "real" photos. Film scratches, grunge, vignettes - I'll get made fun of if I do that stuff on real photos, but instagram is just for fun.

the kawaiiest posted:

Part of the problem is that these lovely accounts have thousands of followers who like and comment on the images, and they end up on the popular page because of that.
Honestly, I look at some of the lovely stuff that makes the popular page and it's just weird. poo poo photo of someone's foot with 4,000 likes, then I'll look at the profile and it's a 17 year old girl from San Jose with 30,000 followers; I look at that and I'm like "What the gently caress?" I guess when instagram was new it was easier to get popular like that, I really don't know. You're right though, if they want to fix it they'll either have to completely reset the system (which would be hilarious) or do some major work on whatever algorithm calculates popularity.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

the kawaiiest posted:

People are actually pretty divided on that. I don't believe that Instagram is meant for that at all and a lot of people (myself included) feel that folks posting DSLR shots are missing the point. We want to see photos taken that moment, with your phone; part of the appeal is that we are all using the same equipment -- a cellphone -- and working with its limitations. I follow a bunch of professional photographers on IG, but they are all shooting with their iPhones. Seeing what a very skilled photographer can do with a cellphone camera is pretty awesome and inspiring.
Yeah, it's not something I get too worked up about, but that's why I like it too. Some guy might carry a $20,000 Hassy when he's on a photoshoot, but me and him are using the same piece of poo poo when posting to instagram. The fact that his shots are all still better than mine just reinforces the fact that it's not the camera, it's the photographer.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Who are you guys following? Who's good? Some of my favorites:

spacioverde
kbasta
curious2119
13thwitness
chrisconnolly
vasssf
thiswildidea - at 150k followers pretty much everyone's following this guy, but holy poo poo, that dog!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

the posted:

There's no way these are all being shot with a cellphone...
Maybe, but I have a hunch they're real. Now are they amateurs, and are they all spontaneous "hey look at this perfect scene I've randomly come upon" shots? Not a chance. But there's not much that I can see in there that can't be done with an iphone.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Macintosh posted:

I opted not to bring my DSLR to Thailand and decided instead to shoot exclusively with my iPhone 4S. I'm really happy with the shots I left with.
While I definitely wouldn't go on vacation without my dSLR, I went to Ireland and Rome for ten days this year and definitely had more fun shooting on the iphone. There's something about shooting with a square format in mind (I instagrammed the poo poo out of that trip) that just makes things more interesting, for some reason.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

A few recent shots:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah IFTTT is great. There's a ton of really useful stuff there, including a recipe to post Instagram photos on Twitter.
When I post to instagram I have a one-click option to post to twitter - I take it this is something different? I'll probably sign up for this anyway - the instagram-to-dropbox recipe is awesome.

the kawaiiest posted:

jackpot, your photos are wondeful. iPhone 5?
4s, and thanks!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

MrBlandAverage posted:

$7500 iPhone photography workshop :stonk: http://www.focusonnature.is/photo-workshops/art-of-iphone-photography-iceland/

At least they had the dignity not to use the "word" "iPhoneography"...
gently caress it, SIGN ME UP

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I've had some fun lately trying to make baby photos that wouldn't bore the poo poo out of everyone in my feed.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Lately I've been taking my phone from my pocket only to find the camera's on. At some point today I accidentally took this, and I'm really digging the perfect circular blur:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

What I really want is Snapseed's interface and controls melded with Afterlight's filters. The only filters Snapseed has put grungy poo poo all over the place. Also, I never have much need to use them, but Afterlight's film grain and light leak filters are fairly awesome, too. Some are a little over the top, but the subtle ones are great.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Ooooh that's good, I like that. I've gotta think someone's working on that.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

quote:

"Certified music maven. Total internet nerd. General entrepreneur. Web Lover. Reader."

quote:

"Thinker. Internet enthusiast. Alcohol nerd. Bacon ninja. Subtly charming web junkie."

There must be a mad libs-style profile generator for spammers on Instagram, because they all follow exactly the same format without copying each other. It's actually kind of fascinating. At least now all they do is "like" photos - they've stopped spamming the comments for the most part.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Huxley posted:

I like the idea that they aren't even trying to sell or influence anything, they just exist to spread positivity.
Not quite; their photos are always nothing but ads for sites that sell followers. Which, honestly, is just the strangest thing to me, that people would pay money for followers on a free site. What satisfaction could you get out of having 15,000 followers, if only 100 of them are real? But still, even though they're weird, since all they do is like photos you have to go out of your way to be annoyed by them.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I like a lot of yours but this rules.

My favorite from the weekend:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

8th-samurai posted:

but frankly flaming pillars at night is not an ideal cellphone camera subject.
You'd have to know what you're doing even with a real camera; best you can do with a cell phone is get the best shot you can then hope you can improve it in photoshop later.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

the kawaiiest posted:

2013-06-04 14.57.45 by kawaiiest, on Flickr

I'm getting so tired of all the spam on Instagram. I've locked my account because I just couldn't deal with it. It's weird because I only have like 30 followers and my photos never make it to the popular page but I always get a ton of spam the moment I post a photo anyway. It's really annoying.
That's an awesome shot, nice DOF.

Do you get spam comments, or just spammers "liking" your stuff? I used to get comments, but I'd just delete and report them; I don't see them anymore, even on other people's photos. All I get now (and they account for about a quarter of my meager number of likes) are spammers "liking" my stuff or following me, and I can identify 90% of them just by their picture (hot girl) or username.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

This is great. There have been a ton of times I think I'm getting my lines all straight like this, only to see later that they're distorted as hell.

Finally got the reflection right, after dozens of attempts:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

The view from 210

Oh that's gorgeous. Do you work on these?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Clown posted:

I like taking pictures with my mobile phone :)

I've never seen cows with such menace before. There's a lot of hate in their eyes.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Went to Chicago for a few days.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Reichstag posted:

I wish phones had bigger sensors,
They're trying: http://mashable.com/2013/07/24/nokia-lumia-1020-review/

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Stubb Dogg posted:

manual focus control
The iphone desperately needs this.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Followed. These are rad.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

wow looking at some of your photos above... phone cameras have really stepped up their game. Holy poo poo. My iphone 4s definitely lets me down (also this pic was taken through bridge windows which adds lots of glare and whatnot, but I think my lens is just generally fogged and poopy)
If you don't have an "Ask me about my job on a hugeass boat" thread in A/T, I'm gonna be pissed. Because you should.

I've got a 4s, and maybe it's because I've had so many lovely phones in the past, but I don't mind the camera at all. I've got a real camera for real pictures, and the only time the 4s unexpectedly lets me down is if I have to use the front-facing camera. I mean holy hell, check this poo poo out. Photo taken yesterday at 6pm in a well-lit room. drat thing looks like it had the "paint daubs" photoshop filter applied to it.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 26, 2013

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

the kawaiiest posted:

I think flickr is a better community than Instagram. The users are a bit older on average, and while there's a lot of nonsense there too, it's a lot easier to avoid thanks to groups. Just find some groups for stuff you like/are interested in, join them, and you'll see very little spam/crap by comparison.
Instagram is ok if you follow the right people - you just have to stay way the hell away from the "popular" page and find the people with talent - they're out there. Then once you find them, look at who they're following, etc.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

For the five days it's pretty, fall is nice.

Found this gorgeous little shithead outside the dining room window:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

That's some Ark of the Covenant level poo poo, right there.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Cross-postin from Low-Effort, tried out my iphone's panorama setting the other day, turns out it owns!

Castle Point Panorama 2 by ejtors, on Flickr
This is fantastic, wow. I always forget about the panorama setting, I've gotta bust it out more often.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Are there any apps that let you skew/distort photos as a way of fixing perspective distortion? It sucks taking a picture of something like a building or a brick wall, or even just a room where ceiling and floor are both visible, only to find out you didn't hold the phone absolutely dead-on perfectly straight and now your lines are all hosed up.

poo poo like this drives me nuts when it's my own photo:

So easy to fix! And yet, can't fix!

Also, are there any camera apps that let you pick the focusing point? Like maybe a slider that lets you say "Focus on this spiderweb, not the trees behind it"?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

dukeku posted:

Lightroom, Photoshop.
For the stuff I really want to look good, sure, but I'm talking everyday stuff that isn't worth the hassle. "Posting the day's photos to instagram while on the shitter" kind of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Pretty happy with the iphone-only processing I managed to do with this one: