Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

Does anyone use a computer to make synth music? What program(s) do you use?

get renoise if you wanna be real

get reaper if you wanna record non computer instruments

there's lots of other perfectly acceptable answers but both of these come w/ basically unlimited trial licenses, like you can record and professionally master a couple albums before clicking buy just to make sure you like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Would it be looked down upon if I was writing music for cello and wanted them to tune so their lowest note was a B2 instead of a C2?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

it would be annoying. you'd want to transpose for that string so they can still read in C, which is annoying for just one string. you'd have to be confident in reading it and playing it yourself before inflicting it on others. not a great risk-reward ratio imo but yes it's literally a thing you can do

e: if all 4 strings were tuned down, that'd be relatively fine. you'd still want to write a transposing part

webcams for christ fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 13, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thanks, I think for the part I'm writing I would rather choose a different note or turn the whole thing up a half step rather than make it tedious for a cellist to tune for one piece.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a request. I want to pick up either violin or viola, but I currently live in an apartment. Very well insulated so I'm not worried about neighbours but I am worried about annoying my housemate while I'm in the lovely learning stages.

If anyone has access to:
Violin/Viola
Mutes, especially heavy ones
Decibel meter

I would appreciate if I can get some basic measurements of volume with/without mutes at various distances (a metre away, next room with open door, etc) because I hate the idea of bringing one home to learn and finding out I can't play it without driving whoever I'm living with insane. Thanks!

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Have you considered an electric violin?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have, but I would prefer an acoustic one for the sake of the times I don't need to play quietly. I did actually go and look at violins today, didn't like the electric one, but found that the Artino mute was more than good enough for my needs so looks like that'll be the direction I go. Trying to find information via compressed YouTube videos was a fruitless endeavour, as always the solution was "just go try some out".

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

JamesKPolk posted:

get renoise if you wanna be real

get reaper if you wanna record non computer instruments

With the caveat that I've found it easier to prototype and sketch out a musical idea in Reaper or even just a piano + audio recording, and easier to use Renoise as a later production step.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i have two standard keyboard sustain pedals made by On Stage Gear

i dont remember exactly when or where i bought either of them, but it was at different times from different places

a few weeks ago they both stopped working, pretty much at the same time

at first they were just kind of spotty, then stopped working all together, ive tried them in several different keyboards and with both onboard sounds and using the keyboard as a controller, its basically like the keyboards just no longer recognize input from either one

what are the odds of that happening to both at the same time? could there be some other factor? its weird

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Earwicker posted:

i dont remember exactly when or where i bought either of them, but it was at different times from different places

at first they were just kind of spotty, then stopped working all together, ive tried them in several different keyboards and with both onboard sounds and using the keyboard as a controller, its basically like the keyboards just no longer recognize input from either one

what are the odds of that happening to both at the same time? could there be some other factor? its weird

Man, I told you not to take that SeaWorld underwater gig.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Earwicker posted:

So the good news is that a sustain pedal is just a momentary switch in a fancy housing. Aside from repairing a broken TRS cable plug, this is the simplest electrical repair job possible. If the pedal is already useless, I suggest that before you throw it away, you take it apart and inspect it for some obvious problem with the switch. Feel free to PM me, or post here (there's not a lot else going on), I can help you with this!

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Seconding the "post here" because I'd like to learn it too

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea ok im going to do what my dad would do and take it apart. or i guess both of them at the same time just to see whats going on.

i saw a few tutorials on youtube, but none for this particular type of pedal.

im working on some other stuff right now and have a deadline so i will probably get to the pedal tomorrow but i will post pics of my progress or lack thereof

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Earwicker posted:

yea ok im going to do what my dad would do and take it apart. or i guess both of them at the same time just to see whats going on.

i saw a few tutorials on youtube, but none for this particular type of pedal.

im working on some other stuff right now and have a deadline so i will probably get to the pedal tomorrow but i will post pics of my progress or lack thereof

Taking photos is a pro move. Before you remove things, photograph where they were, then set them aside in little cups or something, in order of removal, so you know how to put everything back together, and can refer to the photo to see where.

You're probably going to find a very small green board with something sticking out of one end that goes clicky-click. That's the switch. When you post a photo of that, I'm going to advise you to check all over it for breaks.

I'm also going to ask you to check whether the switch closes a circuit. For that, you'll need a continuity tester. If you have a multimeter, that'll work. If you have a flashlight that you can take apart, and some spare wire, that'll work too. Or you could buy the absolute cheapest piece of crap multimeter from Amazon and you get a bonus battery tester and a couple other features you may use around the house in the future.

I don't know anything about the multimeter I linked, other than it's cheap and looks like it's probably garbage. All you need is two wires and something that beeps or lights up when they're connected, so a flashlight will work just as well if you can hot-wire its switch.

e: Ooh, Harbor Freight has an oddly similar garbage multimeter for a couple bucks less!

ee: blast from the past: I used https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HGZKM3H/ for like 12 years. My dad gave it to me. I kept meaning to try to fix it, but now that I see it probably set him back $5 in 1987, I'll throw it away.

cruft fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 28, 2023

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Harbor freight used to give those multimeters away for free with a coupon.
For continuity testing they work fine.
I have a nicer one but sometimes I leave it out in the garage so the cheap one works when I don't feel like getting the good one.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Partners looking to buy an electric harp from marketplace. Caveat is the seller says “amplified sound is not uniform (same pitch)” and that it might be an issue with impedance but he’s unsure. Looks like it’s just a modified piezo style pickup and I got dumb guitar brain so my first thought is it needs a preamp or it’s not powered properly.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Partners looking to buy an electric harp from marketplace. Caveat is the seller says “amplified sound is not uniform (same pitch)” and that it might be an issue with impedance but he’s unsure. Looks like it’s just a modified piezo style pickup and I got dumb guitar brain so my first thought is it needs a preamp or it’s not powered properly.

Could be a lot of things. Might be a bad piece of wood used in the sounding board.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
Me and some friends regularly meet up to jam in a smaller basement room (~13'x13'). We're looking for a different setup that we can use for vocals. Currently, we're using a SM48 plugged into a lovely guitar amp. There are a couple of problems with this: it only supports one mic and it's fairly quiet (the volume pot on this amp is hosed up).

The two options I've considered so far is getting a powered speaker with 2+ XLR inputs or a smaller mixer we can use with some 6" studio monitors I have.

I'm leaning toward a powered speaker just because hauling a mixing board and studio monitors around sounds like a pain in my rear end. Any advice or options I hadn't considered?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I faced a similar question and bought a powered speaker but I run the mics through a mixer anyway because I have one in the room.

Is there a better guitar amp that has multiple inputs?
A good guitar player probably sounds good on the lovely amp too in my experience

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I faced a similar question and bought a powered speaker but I run the mics through a mixer anyway because I have one in the room.

Is there a better guitar amp that has multiple inputs?
A good guitar player probably sounds good on the lovely amp too in my experience

Unfortunately, no amps with multiple inputs - the lovely amp is actually broken, haha. (The volume pots are shot and it's a 20 year old Fender practice amp so it isn't really worth repairing or anything.)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

pocket pool posted:

Unfortunately, no amps with multiple inputs - the lovely amp is actually broken, haha. (The volume pots are shot and it's a 20 year old Fender practice amp so it isn't really worth repairing or anything.)

Apparently my calling on this planet is to harass musicians to repair their equipment.

Potentiometer replacements are incredibly easy. If replacing the broken foot switch is a 1, and replacing a soldered chip is a 100, replacing a pot is a 2. If this is really an amp you don't care about, why not practice fixing it, so you'll know how to do it when it's something you actually want to keep?

If you decide you'd like to do this, start by posting some photos of the broken pots and as close as you can get to the insides of the amp where the wires go to the pots. I'm here to help!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Mike Arthur McVein posted:

Welcome to computer music! If there's a specific style or genre you're interested in, I can maybe make some more specific recommendations, but you can't go wrong with the free setup I described; the instruments and effects I mentioned will cover many bases and what you learn with LMMS will be transferable to many other DAWs if you find another one you like more.
Hmmm....something that works with like, a rainy day sound? I'm completely new to making music so I'm kinda just trying to find stuff I vibe with.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Why is it that "Ordinary World" by Valerie June can have her singing what sounds like a quarter-tone sharp in the chorus, and I find that compelling, whereas Billy Joel doing the same thing on "Mony Mony" drives me up the frickin wall?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yc4vdf7dNQ

I assume she's doing this deliberately, and that she's just one of those musicians with a killer sense of pitch who can intentionally sing a quarter-tone sharp live. I just don't get the theory behind why this isn't pissing me off.

e: I'm listening to more of her stuff; on "Astral Plane" she's very consistently out of tune with the rest of the band on only the 7th scale degree. And this tune has her singing the 7th scale degree *a lot*. It makes me think she's actually singing a blue note, and this is just what you get with even-temperament backing band. I think Jacob Collier has ruined me.

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 13, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

cruft posted:

I assume she's doing this deliberately, and that she's just one of those musicians with a killer sense of pitch who can intentionally sing a quarter-tone sharp live. I just don't get the theory behind why this isn't pissing me off.

breaking supposed "rules", subverting expectations, evoking a positive yet indescribable response, causing listeners to dive further into their output and look for meaning: A Real Artist

personally, I'd just appreciate the mystery and awe

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So, I did a spare time project this year, where I learned about music composition and arrangement by composing theme music for each character in my friends' Pathfinder game, using free VSTs and Reaper. I revealed the final themes for everyone during our Christmas session, the players loved them, and now I want to post the themes somewhere online to share with our other friends and with fellow musicians.

My question is, where is the best place to post this sort of thing nowadays? There are five themes, so I have a short "album" going. I'd also like to post some "liner notes" for each song, describing what I was thinking as I tried to capture each character, along with some text describing the "album" in general.

I think once upon a time, BandCamp probably would have been perfect for this sort of thing, but I heard they got bought by a hedge fund who fired half their staff. So, what is a good replacement?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Bandcamp is still fine, there haven't been any big changes and they haven't suddenly started doing anything unethical towards artists. Soundcloud is also an option.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
Soundcloud does exactly what you want.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

YouTube works, too. Can out them all in one video with chapter markers, or separate videos grouped into a playlist.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

until a comparable alternative emerges, I like Bandcamp's layout for presenting an album with accompanying artwork on a single URL. it's not like Google isn't actively surveilling and thwarting unionization efforts among its employees, and soundcloud is privately held, with a lot of VCs in the mix

another option is cdbaby, which you could use to get your music listed on Deezer and embed your tracks on any webpage you like

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

webcams for christ posted:

until a comparable alternative emerges, I like Bandcamp's layout for presenting an album with accompanying artwork on a single URL. it's not like Google isn't actively surveilling and thwarting unionization efforts among its employees, and soundcloud is privately held, with a lot of VCs in the mix

another option is cdbaby, which you could use to get your music listed on Deezer and embed your tracks on any webpage you like
I don't know how true they are, but I've been hearing bad things about CDbaby for a while.

If you're looking to get an album on streaming services like Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer and more, I've been using DistroKid for 5 years now and it does everything I want it to with no issues. I've uploaded 19 releases through there so far and it's always been a breeze.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

I don't know how true they are, but I've been hearing bad things about CDbaby for a while.

If you're looking to get an album on streaming services like Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer and more, I've been using DistroKid for 5 years now and it does everything I want it to with no issues. I've uploaded 19 releases through there so far and it's always been a breeze.

that's good to know. I don't have any first hand experience with CDbaby, just friends that have used them over the years. I'll make it a point to recommend distrokid for streaming until I hear otherwise, thanks

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Not a musician but this has to be the place to bring this up: I can get a copy of Sound Forge Pro or Music Maker to play around with and am interested in doing so. But I have to choose one.

Does anybody know the difference between these two products put out by the same company? All I can find on Google are AI-generated comparisons that state things like what OS they run on and the size of the installation, and even less helpfully people asking only to get responses like 'I have used both but this is what trial versions are for I can't do your homework for you' or 'Just watch a bunch of YouTube tutorials and you'll notice the differences eventually.'

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

VikingofRock posted:

So, I did a spare time project this year, where I learned about music composition and arrangement by composing theme music for each character in my friends' Pathfinder game, using free VSTs and Reaper. I revealed the final themes for everyone during our Christmas session, the players loved them, and now I want to post the themes somewhere online to share with our other friends and with fellow musicians.

My question is, where is the best place to post this sort of thing nowadays? There are five themes, so I have a short "album" going. I'd also like to post some "liner notes" for each song, describing what I was thinking as I tried to capture each character, along with some text describing the "album" in general.

I think once upon a time, BandCamp probably would have been perfect for this sort of thing, but I heard they got bought by a hedge fund who fired half their staff. So, what is a good replacement?

This rocks btw and I feel compelled to tell you good job 👏

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Bright Bart posted:

Not a musician but this has to be the place to bring this up: I can get a copy of Sound Forge Pro or Music Maker to play around with and am interested in doing so. But I have to choose one.

Does anybody know the difference between these two products put out by the same company? All I can find on Google are AI-generated comparisons that state things like what OS they run on and the size of the installation, and even less helpfully people asking only to get responses like 'I have used both but this is what trial versions are for I can't do your homework for you' or 'Just watch a bunch of YouTube tutorials and you'll notice the differences eventually.'
Sound Forge Pro is an audio editor. You can do pretty much anything with audio files in it. It's like Audacity or Adobe Audition. It does not allow you, from what I can gather, to record midi or play software instruments. Eg. if you want to create a song with a drum track, it's on you to make or source a recording of that drum track. Sonic Foundry is more of a thing you'd edit a podcast in or fix dodgy recordings with.

Music Maker does have software instruments, while maybe compromising slightly in the deeply technical things you can do with a dedicated audio editor. It is more akin to digital audio workstation software like Reaper, Cubase, Ableton Live or Sony Acid Pro. Like the latter, it is very focused on assembling something from existing loops (that they want to upsell you packs of), but it can record and edit audio and midi and generate sound in the box with software instruments. If you want a song with drums, you can pick from a recording you make, assemble something from individual drum sounds, stick together existing loops or compose it from scratch by entering notes that a software drum instrument plays back. This goes for non-drum instruments too. Music maker is more of a home studio where you make music in.

It depends on what your interest is. There is a considerable overlap, but they are made for different jobs. It's hard to recommend either at full price or as rental products. As an absolute beginner for audio work, you can go a long way dicking around with the free Audacity before you bump into the things it can't do and the skills learned will transfer to more advanced software. For Music Maker, you'd have to have a particular interest in the included loop packs and the drag and drop music assembling it features. There are a number of free or free-ish options that you can find your feet in if not, like Cakewalk or the non-expiring trial for Reaper, or even LMMS. I find this a more difficult choice, as each DAW has workflow quirks that transfer badly when switching to another software. If the choice is strictly between either Magix products somehow, then Music Maker will offer the broader palette and probably can be coaxed into sort of doing most of what Sound Forge can. The reverse is less true and probably if you needed the specialist tools Sonic Foundry offers, you'd already know.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Thank you so much! That's a beautiful summary! I'll go with Music Maker. I can always not use it.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Thanks everyone! Bandcamp it is. I'll probably post it after our next session.

Pollyanna posted:

This rocks btw and I feel compelled to tell you good job 👏

Thank you! It was a really fun project and I learned a ton. I felt like I had a decent grasp of music theory basics going into this, but I hadn't really tried composing anything (other than noodling around on the guitar), and I definitely didn't know anything about orchestration, etc. I definitely felt like I jumped in the deep end, but it was super worth it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

my current home recording setup:

instruments > focusrite 2i2 > macbook

the 2i2 is connected to a behringer eq with two 1/4 inch trs cables. the eq is connected to a pair of jbl monitors with two xlr cables. the focusrite is a 3rd gen and connected to the macbook via usbc.

the problem: starting about a month ago, i've been getting a very irritating and constant interference on the right speaker. the interference seems to be coming from the laptop, i.e. there is more noise whenever the computer is running a difficult task. this noise is exclusively in the right speaker, never the left.

i have tried switching out the xlr cables and trs cables and that makes no difference, so it's not a bad cable. also, if i switch the right and left trs cables from the interface, the noise still comes out of the right speaker.

any thoughts on the likely culprit? what should i try next?

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 7, 2024

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sounds like your cable or speaker is picking up interference from the computer. Can you try switching the speakers to see if it's the position or the hardware? Also you can try copper shielding the cable, but that's probably not feasible.

Maybe a picture of the setup could help?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

webcams for christ posted:

breaking supposed "rules", subverting expectations, evoking a positive yet indescribable response, causing listeners to dive further into their output and look for meaning: A Real Artist

personally, I'd just appreciate the mystery and awe

I'm Noel Gallagher and I tune to A443

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

Quoting this post, because I uploaded it! (Bandcamp link here) Thanks again everyone for the advice on where to upload this.