Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Reposting from the YOSPOS music thread:

Plank Walker posted:

so I've come into ownership of one of these:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1140280-REG/novation_launchkey_25_mk2_usb_midi.html?fromDisList=y

my music making experience so far is using reaper and an interface to record and loop guitar to play over, any quickstart guide for what i can or should do with this thing? i've got zero idea what any of the knobs or switches do or how to set it up lol

Can anyone recommend some good youtube vids or articles on what to do with this? My brother gave it to me when he heard I was recording guitar into a DAW when he upgraded to a bigger model, but idk what capabilities it has or what use I'd even have for it. Been interested in having a keyboard of some kind though to screw around with, just need a pointer in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Gjb16CbkY

Goes into the absolute basics of getting it to do something in reaper. Mostly you'll be able to play software instrument plugins that run inside reaper, like third party vstis, and control on screen knobs with physical knobs. It doesn't do anything standalone or have any sounds built-in.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Plank Walker posted:

Reposting from the YOSPOS music thread:

Can anyone recommend some good youtube vids or articles on what to do with this? My brother gave it to me when he heard I was recording guitar into a DAW when he upgraded to a bigger model, but idk what capabilities it has or what use I'd even have for it. Been interested in having a keyboard of some kind though to screw around with, just need a pointer in the right direction.

If you're already playing guitar I'd suggest trying a decent drum library which can take advantage of the fact that the keys are velocity sensitive. You can really play the drums on a velocity-sensitive keyboard (or maybe on the pads this thing has) in a way that's not possible on a computer keyboard or using the mouse.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I've recently come into a few mics and have a few instruments I noodle around and making a couple recordings to share around would be nice

I require the ability to have two seperate line in's that I can mix levels independently

One aimed at the instrument and the other my vocals

I'm happy with anything that can really accomplish this however hacky,

Is there cheapish amateur level mixing board or genre of devices I can look into?

Thanks you in advance

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Get you a nice interface, like one of the Scarletts that have enough inputs. The Scarlett 4i4 would probably do what you want perfectly. There's also a tonne of other great interfaces, check out the home recording thread.

Interface, and a couple nice mics. Nothing too special, just don't get like AliExpress mics (mainly cause some of the wiring is fire-hazard level). Anything else you might want like a mic stand or whatever should be pretty affordable.

Edit: Ignore the mic advice, missed that you had some. If any of those instruments have line outs a good interface will give you a couple extra ins for those on top.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

syntaxfunction posted:

Get you a nice interface, like one of the Scarletts that have enough inputs. The Scarlett 4i4 would probably do what you want perfectly. There's also a tonne of other great interfaces, check out the home recording thread.

Interface, and a couple nice mics. Nothing too special, just don't get like AliExpress mics (mainly cause some of the wiring is fire-hazard level). Anything else you might want like a mic stand or whatever should be pretty affordable.

Edit: Ignore the mic advice, missed that you had some. If any of those instruments have line outs a good interface will give you a couple extra ins for those on top.

It's mostly just going to be double bass/guitar and vocals , just just want to be able to get the levels right between the two

Thank you for your help I'll have good fun with this

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

lately, I've been considering picking up my clarinet again (after 20+ years of not touching it) with the eventual end goal of getting an alto (which I got to play for one year in grade school and loved, because it was just so weird)

and today I learned that my embouchure-cheating that I did all the way up through high school (biting my upper lip because teeth on hard mouthpiece is uncomfortable) was unnecessary because I could have just stuck a soft bite pad on top of the drat thing, I didn't need some kind of specialized mouthpiece for that, like I thought.

sigh.

what would be really cool is if I could get the CD version of the dinky synth-based play-along tracks I had on cassettes that came with my textbooks, if such things existed. I think they did. I'd have to bare minimum remember the titles of those books, which I don't.

but, yeah, taking general advice for maybe getting back onto the woodwind thing. I'll probably have to take my instrument to a shop, for a tune-up, it's been in its case all this time. (in my various apartments, of course, it hasn't been in a shed or anything) that and a box of new #2s while I retrain myself for tougher reeds

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

One of the most useful no nonsense apps “Tap Tempo” is no longer available on iOS. Does anyone know what happened? Does anyone here use something else for getting BPM by tapping?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Out of the box solution, but the aeropress PuckPuck drip counter will give you a BPM in a pinch if it's on IOS

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Jestery posted:

Out of the box solution, but the aeropress PuckPuck drip counter will give you a BPM in a pinch if it's on IOS

:aaa:

I gave up on "tap tempo" things and just use a regular metronome app and my l33t DJ beat matching skillz. I could never mash my finger into the glass consistently.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

One of the most useful no nonsense apps “Tap Tempo” is no longer available on iOS. Does anyone know what happened? Does anyone here use something else for getting BPM by tapping?

yea this basic metronome/tuner has tap tempo

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/smart-metronome-tuner/id889571826

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

does anyone with field recording experience have recommendations for a good stereo mic/array?

i invested in some location audio gear last year, and this year i decided to start doing more field recording/foley work too. i picked up a parabolic mic, a binaural mic, and a hydrophone that i'm happy with, but my regular old stereo setup isn't doing it for me anymore. i usually run a sennheiser ME62 stacked on top of my MKH416 for mid-side, but the stereo image feels pretty narrow. i used to use an ME66 and an SE4400a set to figure 8 which i was happy with in terms of image but not in high-end (even after EQing) and was really obnoxious to set up.

i'm considering using the 66 and 62 together, but i'd need to buy a second K6 module for that. i could instead grab an MKH30, but from what i've read those are usually paired with an MKH8060 and getting both isn't in my budget so i'm wary of spending that much on something i won't be happy with if it doesn't play nice with the 416.

also, pretty much everything i've read online is from 5-15 years ago, so i'm wondering if there's anything new in this realm. in my wildest dreams there's an XLR-based mid-budget equivalent to the M-S capsule zoom makes for their handy recorders. i have one that i use on an F1-LP, but like everything zoom makes it's a hiss factory. i'm not opposed to an X-Y array, but i've never seen one that fits inside a rycote blimp so i don't know if they exist. i'm also open to an ambisonic array but since 90% of what i deliver is in stereo, surround feels excessive (both in number of channels and also price). any suggestions?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

time guru and te tuner are the two i use, but literally every metronome worth the download time has a tap tempo function

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I liked the no clutter simple interface of a big tap button and a reset button. It also had no ads!

This has ads!! I will check out the other ones

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I use Tunable on my phone and forScore on my iPad. neither are free though

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

CaptainViolence posted:

in my wildest dreams there's an XLR-based mid-budget equivalent to the M-S capsule zoom makes for their handy recorders.

figured this out, so i thought i would post in case anyone else ever needs the info:

turns out there's a few M/S mics available--sennheiser mkh 418-S, audio technica BPA4029, sanken CSS 5--but they're either pricy as hell (sanken) or have too much self noise for field recording (at & sennheiser, although the sennheiser gets used on npr's tiny desk concerts, so probably suitable enough for music).

i picked up the mkh 30 since it sounded like it's also really good for group vocals and it might be fun to pair it with the 4400a for some weird unmatched blumlein experiments!

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Hello thread! I'm getting bombarded with ads on social for services that will get tunes into "top Spotify algorithmic playlists" usually involving a 12 year old in a bucket hat yelling at me. This is all bullshit scam stuff right? Has anyone actually tried any of these, and was it at all useful?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Anyone promising you increased royalties in exchange for money is looking for easy marks.

The people with actionable, profitable information about how to game spotify/streaming royalties as an independent artist are not going to share the information.

But have you tried getting signed by Universal, Sony, Warner, or EMI? I've heard their guys can really help with reach

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Gaming the algorithm on Spotify is pretty possible though. There's a lawsuit going on in Denmark right now with a guy who uploaded some generic and/or AI music and either just had a bunch of devices stream the songs nonstop or bought streams from botnets or something. He did apparently make bank from it too, despite no real people listening to it.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Doesn't a million streams pay out, like, $45? How much is bank here?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

The dude apparently used 69 accounts to make just short of a million dollars. here's a source in Danish

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Ruffian Price posted:

For my use it's more like a million streams equals easy and plentiful arts grants

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Ruffian Price posted:

The guitar youtuber Bernth put up a video talking about how much he made from streams and IIRC its something like 0.0045 dollars per stream. So more like $4500 dollars but yeah, not "make a living" money.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

By the time they're running ads for whatever scheme they've discovered will make money, it's too late for you, the artist, to make any money from it.

Actual money might still be made by somebody, but you're unlikely to get any of it.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

benn jordan made a vid on gaming spotify (and why you can’t do it but certain people can)

https://youtu.be/et8R5i5UEjY?si=EFHQ-mxnvbmBczYj

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What are some good music notation apps for iPad? Paid or free, it doesn't matter which. I'd like to get some goon opinions before I go downloading a bunch of poo poo I may never use.

I'd like to try to teach myself to write percussion music, so ideally I want something that has good playback for percussion.

I already have Finale v27 on my laptop, but I take my iPad everywhere and want to be able to write out music on that too, whereas my laptop pretty much lives in my room.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I know a lot of people who use MuseScore professionally and otherwise, but I don't personally have an opinion.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My private lesson teacher uses forScore. Does that have an auto playback feature? I don't see one listed on the App Store.

I'd like to be able to hear the poo poo I'm writing on my iPad before I transfer it to Finale.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

For Score is a fancy pdf reader and doesn't do notation, unless you're like, using a stylus to write by hand. (Still a great app that I use almost every day)

I've used Notion on the iPad for notation back in like 2014-2016. It was fine. Supported playback and export, felt similar to Finale on a desktop.

But today I'd probably recommend Musescore or Sibelius, which are both industry standard, with lots of support and tutorials.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

webcams for christ posted:

For Score is a fancy pdf reader and doesn't do notation, unless you're like, using a stylus to write by hand. (Still a great app that I use almost every day)

I would be using a stylus. I have an Apple Pencil I'm gonna use.

But today I'd probably recommend Musescore or Sibelius, which are both industry standard, with lots of support and tutorials.

Can you write sheet music and scores with Musescore? The App Store page sells it more as a sheet music sharing app than a notation app.

I went ahead and downloaded Sibelius but the reviews are a little shaky, and it looks like you have to pay a subscription fee to unlock some of the features. Are those worth the cash?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

I would be using a stylus. I have an Apple Pencil I'm gonna use.

Can you write sheet music and scores with Musescore? The App Store page sells it more as a sheet music sharing app than a notation app.

I went ahead and downloaded Sibelius but the reviews are a little shaky, and it looks like you have to pay a subscription fee to unlock some of the features. Are those worth the cash?

Sorry. I was being dryly sarcastic about forScore: it's a great pdf reader / editor, but it's as useful as a blank sheet of white paper for notation— you could draw a stave and scribble compositions, but it wouldn't have any functionality that one would want in notation software.

The desktop version of Sibelius is also a subscription model. They've gone the way of Adobe because SAS is simply more profitable. Sibelius and Finale are the industry standard programs used by actual music publishers to prepare physical and digital scores. My friend who prepared charts for the band of Jazz @ Lincoln Center used Sibelius, and I'm partial to their schema myself, even if they're kind of a scummy company.

I recommend messing around with what you can to get a better sense of what features are and are not important.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sorry. I was being dryly sarcastic about forScore: it's a great pdf reader / editor, but it's as useful as a blank sheet of white paper for notation— you could draw a stave and scribble compositions, but it wouldn't have any functionality that one would want in notation software.

The desktop version of Sibelius is also a subscription model. They've gone the way of Adobe because SAS is simply more profitable. Sibelius and Finale are the industry standard programs used by actual music publishers to prepare physical and digital scores. My friend who prepared charts for the band of Jazz @ Lincoln Center used Sibelius, and I'm partial to their schema myself, even if they're kind of a scummy company.

I recommend messing around with what you can to get a better sense of what features are and are not important.

Thanks for the tips. I'm fiddling with Sibelius right now, trying to see if I can teach myself how to write snare drum music.

I am....... not having much success. I'm a brass player with no experience writing percussion music, and all of this poo poo looks like Greek to me. The fact that there's virtually no distinction between the different notes in playback doesn't help. So far all I've managed to figure out is that the notes with the 'Z's are drumrolls and the higher-lined notes are quiet and sound like chimes.

Are there any good Youtube videos that can teach me what all these different notes sound like?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 9, 2024

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

i’m gonna go against the crowd and say the sibelius subscription is good, actually

they’ve had an update almost every month since they switched to it, and it’s not just shiny new features that look cool so people will drop 500$ on the new version while completely ignoring longstanding bugs

I. M. Gei posted:

I am....... not having much success. I'm a brass player with no experience writing percussion music, and all of this poo poo looks like Greek to me. The fact that there's virtually no distinction between the different notes in playback doesn't help. So far all I've managed to figure out is that the notes with the 'Z's are drumrolls and the higher-lined notes are quiet and sound like chimes.

Are there any good Youtube videos that can teach me what all these different notes sound like?

snare is in third space. any other staff placement is p much exclusively used for dumb hard etudes/classical solos, and even then is still rare since there are so many articulations that can be abused for purposes they weren’t intended for

one slash is double the written value (use only on 16ths), three slashes is a double stroke roll of the written value (use on any note value). Z is a buzz roll/press roll

X note head is rims AND cross stick. there’s prolly a notational distinction in marching (not my area of expertise), but in drum set writing it’s always clear from context

the staccato/legato have different meanings in different contexts, basically piece to piece. don’t use them unless you’ve read like a hundred scores that use them and you’re confident in it

i highly recommend picking up a snare book like wilcoxon’s all american drummer and reading along while watching some youtube vids of people playing them

to toot my own horn, i have a book on drum set notation, which includes some info that would be helpful to you

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think I need to find a way to split the percussion track down on the song I'm transcribing before I make any real progress writing out the notation. I'm trying to transcribe this into marching percussion and there's just too much going on in the drums to sort it all out into instrument parts right now.

On a positive note, I just wrote my first 2 ever sousaphone bars using the split-out bass track! :D Although the bass is pretty distorted and parts of it are almost completely inaudible on iPhone, and there are a few low notes I'm not 100% sure if I got right. I used the Moises app to do the splitting, in case that matters.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'd like to take this opportunity to give a big fat "gently caress you!" to the tiny-fingered idiot fuckstick that designed the note pitch toggle in Sibelius. Boy I sure do LOVE having to carefully adjust the exact angle my finger lifts up off the screen every single time I enter a note so it doesn't end up one step above or below where it's supposed to be, like adjusting the loving light level on a Philips Hue bulb!

Please for the love of God tell me this app has a touch sensitivity adjustment option.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Please for the love of God tell me [Sibelius] has a touch sensitivity adjustment option.

Also a copy/paste tool, cuz I just had to enter the same 4-bar phrase twice by hand and fuuuuuuck doing that over and over.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

I. M. Gei posted:

Also a copy/paste tool, cuz I just had to enter the same 4-bar phrase twice by hand and fuuuuuuck doing that over and over.

Copying and pasting in sibelius works exactly the same as it does for text?

I suspect your other gripe probably has an easy fix as well but I actually don't even recognize what you're talking about there. In short, stop what you're doing and look up some tutorials ASAP. The number pad will be your best friend.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

timp posted:

Copying and pasting in sibelius works exactly the same as it does for text?

I suspect your other gripe probably has an easy fix as well but I actually don't even recognize what you're talking about there. In short, stop what you're doing and look up some tutorials ASAP. The number pad will be your best friend.

I'm getting the hang of the note entry thing so that's not a problem anymore. Also I think I might've been bugging out a little bit from some withdrawal poo poo when I made that post, which might explain both why the toggle was weirdly pissing me off so much and why my post came out needlessly angry.

I may have to look up how to copy/paste in the manual, since I'm on mobile and I couldn't get it to work when I tried it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but highlighting a bar and long-pressing on it doesn't make a little menu pop up with copy or paste options like it does with text.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 13, 2024

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

I. M. Gei posted:

I'm getting the hang of the note entry thing so that's not a problem anymore. Also I think I might've been bugging out a little bit from some withdrawal poo poo when I made that post, which might explain both why the toggle was weirdly pissing me off so much and why my post came out needlessly angry.

I may have to look up how to copy/paste in the manual, since I'm on mobile and I couldn't get it to work when I tried it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but highlighting a bar and long-pressing on it doesn't make a little menu pop up with copy or paste options like it does with text.

No worries friend :)

I also hope I didn’t come across as rude, but you are correct that inputting a four bar phrase by hand twice is madness and you don’t deserve to have to do that. Writing that way will lead to burnout very quickly, as the act of getting the music into the program becomes a slog and a barrier to actually working on the music and making it good.

I’ve only ever used Sibelius on desktop so I can’t speak to touch control stuff. But in general my advice would be: if something feels needlessly complicated to do while you’re doing it, there’s a very good chance that someone else had that problem, identified it to Avid, and they improved that process in some way. You’re far from the first person to write a marching band show in Sibelius, so use that fact to help you problem-solve whenever you encounter some resistance!

If you have a specific questions about notation in Sibelius (outside of touch interface) I and others here can try to help. I suspect ChatGPT probably wouldn’t do a terrible job as a support bot of sorts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I got a stupid question regarding MIDI, I've noticed some MIDI tracks have percussion parts that go from note F7 to note C8 (between notes 89 and 96 respectively) that not a single one of my soundfonts has any samples for, as well as a lack of samples for G#1 and A1 (Notes 20 and 21 that I have never seen be used. I have soundfonts that cover the rest of those notes in percussion just fine, so for the majority of songs I have imported into FL Studio I don't have a problem selecting a soundfont that works with them, but for these tracks in particular (Darkseed 2's midis are a perfect example of what I mean) I have no idea what instruments are supposed to correspond to these notes. Obviously they have to go to something, but there isn't a single documented instrumentation standard I can find that includes these notes at all. What am I missing here? Does anyone know what these notes correspond to?

Example shown below, the highlighted notes I have no idea what they are.