Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I have had an acoustic bass guitar for some time now, and recently I decided to change the strings. One of the pin thingies (see picture, the white thingies) broke and I have been unable to find a replacement made for a bass size hole instead of a guitar sized one. Does anyone know A) What they are called and B) where I can buy them online, preferably from somewhere in Europe but the isn't absolutely vital.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Are you sure those are for a bass? I don't see why I would need 7, given that I have only four strings. How do I make sure they're not guitar sized?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Are there any good drum machine apps I can use on my android phone? I don't mind spending a few bucks (say, 20 USD) on getting something actually worthwhile. My use case is mostly just having a beat for playing guitar in my basement, but also preferably playing around with weird rhythms (7/4 is a must, 13/4 over 4/4 with triplets is nice).

Alternatively, what thread should I ask in?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I don't think there's one right answer. The singer in my last name had a book full of essentially poems written without any music that he would bring in when we were writing a new song. It worked pretty well, he would just improvise a melody based on the riff and the lyrics. But that was also pretty dumb heavy rock, so it's not like anyone thought less of him for being a cliche or whatever.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Thirteen Orphans posted:

This might be a very stupid question, my music theory is garbage. When I transpose a song from G to F, can I simply play what’s written and remember F# becomes F and B becomes Bb or is the process more complicated?

If you're transposing a whole step, you gotta do whole steps everywhere, so F# becomes E and B becomes A. Or you meant G to F#, in which case, yeah, the rest checks out. Just keep the numbers of steps the same, then you're golden. If you play guitar, think of it as shifting everything a fret towards the head.
The thing that would trip you up is writing it down. A half step key change means a lot of extra accidentals (or fewer).

If you decide to keep it in the same mode (so same accidentals) but change the chords and melody one degree down, that's extremely jazz, which is fun but not actually recommended in most cases.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Hmm, I see. I’m trying to learn the Xiao and my flute is in F but the materials are in G and while I’ve been a singer my whole life I can’t read music yet and am trying to figure out how to play all that music that’s in G in F.

Well, in that case, you're in for a slightly harder time, because notation is weird. I'm assuming it's G major, with one sharp/#?
In that case, you want to move everything on the staff one bit down (line to space and vice versa) and change the signature to one flat/b (Bb), which is F major. Any accidentals on the staff stay there I think.
There should also be some automatic converters around nowadays, but I don't have any links.

The other solution is of course to pretend your flute is in fact in G and essentially relearn all the notes on the flute.

Disclaimer: I am not exactly as expert in this stuff, but I'm pretty sure it's correct, even if I had to check how many flats are in F major.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Getting a bit off topic, but yeah, if you wanna make money performing music, you either need to invest in industry friends, literally and metaphorically prostitute yourself or just play covers at boomer events. None of these will satisfy your desires.

I do second getting a class or two. Don't worry about having stuff ready, just tell the guy what you're doing and see where it goes.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

There are some practical historical reasons, like 6 strings allowing a full sound while also keeping it feasible to play chords using all strings using 4 fingers. Some might argue that 5 would be plenty though. Basses descent from the violin family, which is designed for single notes and bowing, which makes fewer strings more practical.

But yeah, nowadays you have nerds playing 8 string guitars, mostly without playing full chords, and on the other end you get Stig from DAD playing two string bass because who the gently caress needs D and G:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Commission a three string krappy punkrod and tune it to a power chord, play everything you need with one finger.

Custom builds are not very punk though, just rip the jazz strings (G b e) off a knock-off LP

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think Keith Richards also routinely discards the high e or just uses those tenor guitars that have four strings.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My main bass is a 5 string, mostly because my former band played Rock Music in E and it was nice to sometimes approach said E from below.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My understanding is that midi isn't actually sound in a way that Audacity can recognize, but more like musical notation, sort of like "middle c synth for 10 seconds starting from 3.14", which you then need to translate into an actual sound in whatever software.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also the slightly simple option of recording yourself on your phone and listening back to it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Upcoming bands are always into making music videos because it's the best possible promotional material nowadays. If you don't mind that the band is just some guys who will realistically never amount to anything, make a nice post on the local musicians Facebook page and tell what you want.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

If you're into theory, it's also fun to figure out the chords by looking at the notes. Like, there's a G, two Es and a C here, that makes it a bass player dependant a7 C major

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

As a bass player, it's so I know which note to play while the guitarist wanks.

Also you can write chord progressions that include the actual root. I think that's the main actual reason for modes. Or to play wanks over a clearly E based chord progression with a C#

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The short and only slightly technically wrong answer is that it feels weird to say you're playing in C major if you never actually play a C.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sounds like your cable or speaker is picking up interference from the computer. Can you try switching the speakers to see if it's the position or the hardware? Also you can try copper shielding the cable, but that's probably not feasible.

Maybe a picture of the setup could help?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Gaming the algorithm on Spotify is pretty possible though. There's a lawsuit going on in Denmark right now with a guy who uploaded some generic and/or AI music and either just had a bunch of devices stream the songs nonstop or bought streams from botnets or something. He did apparently make bank from it too, despite no real people listening to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

Doesn't a million streams pay out, like, $45? How much is bank here?

The dude apparently used 69 accounts to make just short of a million dollars. here's a source in Danish