Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

ZeldaLeft posted:

I'm using non-keyboard midi controllers (two xone:1Ds and a nanopad) in FLStudio and I want to midi map the keys on the piano roll to specific buttons on the controller so it can be played that way. I cant seem to accomplish this, as the standard 'right click-link to controller' option isn't available in the piano roll.

I have a similar problem in the VST Omnisphere. I cant seem to map any of its functions or knobs to my controllers. (in FL or ableton)

I don't have any of my own midi controllers handy to to play with your first problem in FL. I'm assuming you'd have to go into the midi settings menu and reassign the midi value your button has to whatever the note would be.

For any VST you can't right click, press the menu button (that triangle in the top left corner of the vst) and select browse parameters. Then right click the parameters in the browser that you want to assign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

When the browser is open with that list and you move the button/slider/whatever on the vst, it should automatically jump to that value in the browser. I can't really suggest anything else to help, I couldn't find a single vst in my collection that wasn't labeled to some degree. Give either the FL forums or Omnisphere a shout about it.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Red Garland posted:

Hey, uhm... on the staff, right? How do I write down a chord that has sounds: D-sharp, G, A-sharp? The problem is all those sharps don't fit on the left side of the notes and I have to put a dot on the right side (since it's supposed to be 3/4 beats long). And speaking of which - if I write down a chord on the staff and I want it to last 3/4 of a bar, do I put a dot next to each not of which it consists or just one dot next to the entire chord?

Well it depends on the context but I'd write it down as Eb, G, Bb. Also put the dot on each note, because it's entirely possible to write a chord that has two notes last half a bar and one note that lasts three fourths.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

So I've been doing a number of mods to my amp but this is my first time working with a potentiometer. The basic idea is a simple 20k pot, with a resistor, going into a circuit board and this all is to be used to control the lead channel distortion saturation. How do I wire this? The resistor is just to prevent a screeching noise apparently.

mod is the Mesa Boogie one in this link, the pot is described near the bottom of the mod description.

http://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wikispaces.com/Amp+Mods+-+Electronics

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Hal Leonard publishes Real Books which are exactly like that and that one probably came from one. They do a lot of them nowadays. Fake books are the generic name for this style of book.

http://www.halleonard.com/search/search.do?seriesfeature=REALBK&&searchtype=product&resultsperpage=90

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

C7sus4(b9) ???

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

With the suspension being C7sus2sus4 going to C7sus4(b9) ?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

The Yamaha YTR 2330 tends to be a good student model that new is like 800 CAD I think? See if you can find one used at a music store that does student band rentals because $500 for one of those is a decent deal.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Anybody know how to set up Kontakt 5 Factory Library's strings samples with Finale 2014? I have them loaded and producing sound but I'm not able to change the playback settings between pizz and arco or tremolo and I'm not finding any info online that helps me set that up.

e:I'm not a big fan of the default garritan sounds for finale, is the GPO5 something better?

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 9, 2016

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah, it's figuring out how Finale can accept input for keyswitching that's loving me up.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Always write songs about robots, problem solved

Exactly!

http://youtu.be/mb5TV7JUvzo

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

It kind of seems like a tempo thing like he's slower in some parts, but he could be playing the swings differently, sometimes a little square and other times with more swing. Swing notes kind of fall all over the place depending on the style from slightly off straight eighths to triplet swing to 16th note swing.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

It's technically in G Major but pulling chords from other scales. Most notably G minor the B#m (Cm, the fourth chord of G minor), Am7 b5 (i'm assuming they mean flat 5, the second chord of G minor).

For the F#7 it's a probably a substitute dominant chord going to the Bm7 b5 (with the cminor as a passing chord) so a Lydian b7 or Mixolydian scale over that one chord should be it.

The second part Bm7 b5 to E to Am is in A minor

and earlier in the song the B could be considered part of a E minor scale (harmonic works nice)

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Honestly there are a ton of questions I want to ask here. First off do you know what he was using before? Rental instruments from schools can range from beginner to intermediate with the rare semi-pro level ones so knowing what he had before is going to make a difference in what would be a step up. Usually with brass I tend to put things into 5 categories, junk, beginner, intermediate, semi-pro and professional. If he's going to play into high school and is enjoying it an intermediate or semi-pro model would be worth looking at.

Using Yamaha as an example, an intermediate trumpet would be something like this: https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/winds/trumpets/bb_trumpets/ytr-4335gii/index.html

Semi-Pro would be something like this: https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/winds/trumpets/bb_trumpets/ytr-6335/index.html

Bach would probably be the other brand I'd recommend in trumpets. They are usually more likely to be used by professionals although their semi-pro models are still good too.

I'd honestly recommend going to a music store that specializes in this stuff and having him try things out though because it really does make a big difference. Also email the teacher of the school for recommendations as they will have a pulse on these things (hopefully).

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Bb only. Everything else is for specific literature or orchestra playing.

Buying new from an online store is one thing. Buying used online or off craigslist/kijiji can be a crapshoot and may require repairs in addition to what you paid. Sometimes you can get a good deal but unless you know what to look for you're likely to get burnt.

Being Canadian I don't have a lot of experience with Guitar Center for wind band instruments. If you are just going to go for a brand new instrument anyways that's say a 2330 or 4335 you can probably get away without testing it out. If it's anything other than a yamaha or a bach the chances are the quality isn't there.

Lastly 2330 are good junior high instruments. I sold them to band programs for their rentals and they were the things we rented from our store because they are good quality instruments. The only reason I pointed to the 4335 is because if he's already been playing a 2330 or worse and will be going into high school band in the next year or two then an intermediate is going to be able to do more of the literature that is played in those bands.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

This whole discussion is baffling.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Playing the bride down the aisle is the main one. Depends on how much they want you to do but you either play for everything or just for entertainment purposes after the ceremony.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Oh! Other thing about Wedding gigs, indoor or outdoor? Might need generators on hand.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Like some demos from that era I've heard are literally dynamic vocal mics hung from a rafter in a practice room into a boombox tapedeck so it's kind of nebulous to say for sure what a given demo is. Sometimes it's mixing being done in a very light way to streamline it (not processed through compressors and better reverb units) just to get it out as opposed to selective mixing certain parts (applying a reverb in this part of a song on this clip and not others). That is usually the biggest thing, taking the time to apply eq and compression and reverb in places and at levels that are specific to the parts of the song is more expensive and a great take on good mics with good phasing can be salvaged by a good engineer/mixer pretty easily. The reverb and slapback could be from poor phasing issues and the room leaking or from different decisions (snare drum mixing tendencies shifted from gated reverb ala the 80s to more dry but compressed in the 90s as people got sick of it).

There is probably a lot of other things I'm missing too.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Where else are you listening to amateur hip-hop producers that doesn't have that issue?

Soundcloud has a few things at play that make the loudness war worse, people being new to mixing and a wide variety of styles of mixing means that there isn't a lot of consistency in the PEAK level of tracks. Having said that, it's even more likely that people are unable to monitor the Root Mean Square (RMS) or LUFF of a given track. People have a tendency to over compress leading to these values being closer to the peak value of a track than you want increasing the perceived loudness by a ton. On top of that is that a lot of people are educated for the mixing stage and how to have it ready for mastering, which leads to a lot of people outputting their tracks at pre-master levels (-6db for example) while some people are mastering or demoing themselves or had their tracks professionally done (0 or -0.1db).

The biggest thing is that amateurs aren't monitoring PEAK and RMS/LUFFs for music. A peak of -0.1db and a RMS of -20db is reasonable (a larger value meaning more dynamics and a smaller value meaning less dynamics) for a lot of music though classical music might be in the -30db area due to the dynamic range. Mind a lot of this varies as in mastering the dynamic range is sometimes squashed even more. Soundcloud just makes it more apparent because you can go from the producer who outputted their analog equipment into audacity at a really low volume (which may sound great when you turn up your speakers to compensate) and then to someone who threw a compressor on everything.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Couple things: My guess is they recorded the guitar part and then had a reverse part they spliced on beat 4. They might have also layered the original with the reversed notes. It's also a heavily chopped part in a very robotic way and almost a bit out of phase? There is a fair bit going on.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Taylor makes a few different body shapes that won't always fit 100% in a dreadnaught case (it's what the third number refers to in the series ex. 312 814 etc.). Some are tighter in different places. The first person might've not had one available or didn't know which would fit and was trying to find a compromise. The second might be wrong but it's easier to find a classical case at most music stores to test it. The bottom will be snug in that one I think if I'm remembering right.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

I mean here is as good as any place to talk about it.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

So the Arius line is pretty decent, the CFX Grand sampling sounds good to my ear. My complaints for it are that the keys aren't a synthetic ebony/ivory or wood, just plastic so to me it's always felt off. Not bad per se but the feel on a P515 from Yamaha is a lot nicer because of the keys being wood. The Roland digital keyboards tend to have a nicer feeling key at lower levels but some people don't like the piano modelling of the supernatural system and they tend to run a little more expensive. The F140R is kind of similar to the Arius series in looks and features and the RP501 would be a step up size and feature wise (has things like the ability to half pedal).

The Arius would be a good option I think if you aren't too worried about the key feeling or half pedal (really only needed for some high level Royal Conservatory of Music exams). Roland would also do fine if you can take some time to see how you feel about the modelling they use. For the Roland, if you think that might be a good choice but the inital cost is too much, L&M is doing a financing promo until this Sunday, October 6th where you can do 24 months 0% interest financing on the two models I mentioned above.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=promo&PromosID=580&Current=0

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Part of it can be that piano teachers will prefer weighted keys so having a similar feel makes it easier for lessons when you aren’t going from one feel to another. And RCM requirements exclude certain features from digital pianos at certain grade levels. To the point you probably have to own a baby grand or grand to do ARCT certification.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

So uh, is it normal for an Epiphone SG G-400/Pro/whatever they called it then circa 2008 to have b500k pots for the volume and a500k pots for the tone knobs? And that the a500k's are audio taper/log and the b500k's are linear? Just seems backwards from what I expected.

I'm planning some overhaul work to the guitar and expected to find 300k pots because of how bassy the guitar is (although part of me expected and knew it was also the dimarzio super distortion I put in it years ago).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

So the harmony is doing parellel fourths for "Don't allow" and "Kyoto Now", Ab (don't/Kyo) in the lower voice to Bb (allow/-to now) and Db in the upper voice to Eb, over top of what I think is Bb5 Db5 Ab5 Eb5 in the guitar and bass. The lead vocal is also doubling the Db to Eb in the same range for both of those parts.

When it goes to "In your dreams" it's more complex due to the lead vocal sitting between the C and Db a bunch. The upper harmony is possibly going C (In) Db (your) Eb (dreams) and the lead is doing C (In) - Db (your dreams) and back down to C (-ams) and maybe down to Bb. Definitely a bit of a fall there. I'm not 100% certain on this as the harmony might've been recorded the same for all of these takes but I don't really hear a minor 2nd interval at first.

code:
Lead:	C	Db	Db - C - Bb fall  
Upper:	C	Db	Eb (this note is higher than the lead)
Lower:	Ab	Bb	Bb
Lyrics:	In	Your	Dreams 
Chords:	Bb5		Db5
I think that makes the most sense to me based on what I'm hearing and what sounds right when I play it on piano.

For the "Silent scream" the harmony is back to the first one for sure lower Ab-Bb and upper Db-Eb, while the lead is doing Db-C-Bb down.

It is closed voiced which makes it hard to tell which voice is doing what, like the lead might be doing a fall down from C to Bb in the In Your Dreams part but the harmony is also doing a Bb so I might be mishearing it.