Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Thanks for the recommendations y'all. Turns out I already had Audacity installed, so I messed with that for about 15 seconds before figuring out it does everything I need and is faster than Garageband :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

12tone

Switched On Pop podcast

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Anyone have any guides to setting up MainStage they like? Both the physical and digital sides

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

My first guess was a bongo or a paddle of some sort. I did some research and it seems some studios used bongos (possibly slowed down or sped up to alter the pitch and timbre), or oven mitts slapped on wood or concrete.

This site says Hanna Barbara used bongos for the Flintstones (and a lotta other shows) but it was only used in one episode? I’m not super familiar with the show outside watching it as a kid, but I feel like that was a really common sound effect throughout the show, right?

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 23, 2020

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Short answer: yes.

Drum machines and MIDI keyboards are also common. Sylvan Esso does this live since they’re just a vocalist and producer. You can also learn one of the parts and hire a band for the rest like Apidae did for this studio session (Apidae is the guitarist)

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 31, 2020

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

No one is whipping tunes out of nowhere, they’re all based on everything they’ve heard, just like everyone else. The only difference is they can’t cite their sources influences

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

surf rock posted:

- How do they make that sound effect from 2:07 to 2:10 that is supposed to imply the sound of an incoming cannonball? It's really effective at conveying that.

I do theatre work and have been getting into sound effects (by necessity; I’m a drummer and they’re often written in the drum book and played on a sample pad) and sound design (by curiosity and it being another income stream) and can at least confirm that yeah, that’s a “large object spinning through the air” effect

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Classes are cool and help you feel like you know stuff, and let you rattle off jargon for days, but they’re ultimately basic english/grammar classes that don’t necessarily teach you how to write actual content, even at the college level because it’s the equivalent of everyone rolling up to college without ever having taken any english/reading/etc. classes and then deciding to major in english/communications/creative writing/whatever

Ask yourself what you like about a song you’ve written. Why do you like it? What’s something you don’t like in the song? Why? Be specific. Do this as you’re writing sections of songs, even: revise sections as you’re still writing the song. Ask these questions about songs you like and dislike too

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

I'm a product designer, not a songwriter, so take this with a grain of salt.

It seems like you're asking all the wrong questions if your goal is to create something that hasn't already been created.

For example:
- Things on the radio are rarely original in their structure or lyrical content, and often what makes them seem original is either an insanely talented singer with a unique voice or it's tiny little sound effects peppered through the song to keep your attention. It's like, how many Beatles songs are about a girl?
- If you're thinking of your influences, it's going to make it a lot harder to make something new.
- Watching a tutorial or reading a book or taking a class are all basically the same: It's somebody who has already done something telling you how to do it too. Almost by definition, the end result will be repeatable rather than original.
- Brute force kills creativity. There's a time and a place for brute force, but this doesn't seem to be it.

Try asking questions like....
What is missing from all the music you've heard before?
What do you "get," but nobody else does?
What do you want to say to the world, which hasn't been said yet?
What's the most fun you could have on your instrument(s) of choice? Do you love sus chords or something, and you just want to play them all day long?
What do you sound like when you make music?
What can you do that nobody else can do?
What is your personal aesthetic?
What do you believe the world should be like? (To use myself as an example, I believe the world is full of useless crap and distractions. The things I design are therefore minimalist and it's really important to me that every single part of the product adds value.)

When you're in a rut, just write down one of those questions and do some brainstorming. Something will emerge, even if you're feeling uninspired as you begin the process.

Another thing you could try is being creative in some other medium like visual art. Figure out what your style is, use that as a way to learn about yourself, and then apply that new understanding to your music.

I disagree with a lot of this. There’s a reason everything has the same/a very similar structure: it’s a framework to build the rest of your project on. Can you vary it? Absolutely! But because it’s the expected framework, you need a reason to vary from it. The Beatles do this in Yesterday, and the Foo Fighters in Everlong by shortening the phrase by a bar, which signifies something being cut short—because it literally is, and it feels like it too because our reference point is eight bar phrases.

The same is true of time signatures: 4/4 is a simple framework to build everything else on, and it’s also very easy to dance to. You can absolutely use other time signatures, but they each have a different feel, e.g. 6/8 is either medium or slow love ballad, or a quicker dance. You can subvert that by cutting off a beat, but what’s your reason for that? Celebration from Wicked is an upbeat dance in 5/8, and it’s using that 5/8 to make you feel uncomfortable because Glinda (good witch) is singing about celebrating Elpheba (bad witch) being gone, but she’s actually sad because Elpheba was her best friend.

Thinking of your influences and/or studying what other people have done not only doesn’t make it harder to create something new or make your music formulaic, but it actually gives you ideas with which to work. The Flintstones is a great song, right? Very catchy, amazing original tune. The guy who wrote that was loving brilliant. It’s the exact same chords as I Got Rhythm by George Gershwin. Using the same chords and writing your own melody is so common in jazz there’s a word for it: contrafact. Doing it with the the chords from I Got Rhythm is so common they’re called rhythm changes. Riders On The Storm by the Doors? The keys player took My Favorite Things, put it in 4, slowed it down, and added a keyboard intro.

We have 400+ years of using (approximately) this tuning system with these time signatures. You literally cannot create something “truly original”. Even microtonal music has been explored (and it was also what was used before these twelve tone systems the western canon settled on, and is still what’s used in many places outside western music)

Nothing is created in a vacuum. Minimalist design came about because of our frustrations in the 90s and 00s with careless design that was unintentionally maximalist. Or necessarily maximalist: our computers had to be a certain physical size—we didn’t yet had have the technology to make a 7.5mm thick futuristic space tablet (thanks Apple!). Minimalism wasn’t even an option. As technology advanced and computers shrunk, we were able to fit all the necessary parts of a computer in a small form factor and then focus on the design of the object itself.

Music is the same: everything is either advancing or subverting the current paradigm. 1930s swing was an advancement of 1920s dance music. 1940s bebop was a subversion of 1930s swing (and it was also due to a physical constraint: taxis were being designed with smaller trunks, so drummers started using smaller bass drums. also economic constraints: clubs couldn’t afford big bands, so musicians put together smaller groups. also racist economic constraints: black musicians/bands weren’t allowed to get rubber for tires for their tour busses due to rationing during WWII).

Jumping ahead to today, the reason it seems like there’s so much “bad” or “unoriginal” music coming out now is 1. because we’re currently existing in this tone and hearing all the music being released; no one is going to remember that year and a half of pop dubstep or Iggy Azalea (thank gently caress), but they are gonna remember Taylor Swift, Lil Nas X, Adele, Nikki Minaj, etc., but also 2. because technology advanced and cheapened to the point where anyone can record their music and make it publicly available. This is how Adele, Billie Eilish, and Lil Nas X got famous. People are subverting the previous system of commercialized music where major corporations had to find you, like you, and offer to make you famous in exchange for your soul.

Adele’s music sounds really different from the mainstream pop sound, but it’s not “truly original”; it’s pop with jazz harmonies. Lil Nas X’s Old Town Road is pop country with 80s hip hop 808 bass drum (pitched and used as a bass line). Bruno Mars is heavily influenced by Michael Jackson.

Having just spent a lot of time thinking about all this, I actually disagree with calling writing/playing something, listening to it, and changing it “brute forcing”. It’s critiquing yourself and finding your artistic voice/style. The questions you listed and suggestion to try another art can be part of this. Although they’re more indirect than finding your aesthetic solely within music (especially the suggestion of visual art), it forces you to think more abstractly instead of just “lol fingers go tap”

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Take one or two lessons each with several people until you find someone you click with. You have access to every cellist on the planet with at least a smart phone, not just whoever lives within 30min you and is available on the same day and at the same time you are. Everyone can teach you the same stuff, so finding someone you like is more important than their credentials

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

buy an accordion, they’re great. check it out before handing over the cash though (well, venmoing more likely)

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

tell your roommates to stop passively accepting stereotypes about accordion and just practice in the living room :smug:

honestly tho, you could split a room at a rehearsal studio. idk where you live, but in major cities there're tons of them, but sometimes you gotta find them by word of mouth. people are almost always looking to reduce the rent, so if you offered 50-100$/mo or something you could get on their google calendar and have pretty open practice time cuz they have to find a time that works for 3-10 people and you only have to worry about yourself

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhx0yAL8U4w

Do you think these guys are working to a click track or do they just count that well?

I don't see earpieces.

You’re right, no ear pieces. They’re not using a metronome. This is contemporary classical, which doesn’t use metronomes with the regularity pop/rock music does

Also there’s nothing rhythmic until 15:30, so there’s no reason to have a metronome. At that point it’s one person establishing a 16th note pulse, then one at a time they join. No need for a metronome for that since they don’t have to start at the same time at the same tempo

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

yeah, it's a tambourine. tambourine isn't so common in notated music (compared to a drum set), but I commonly see it like this

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

the human voice

also, i love the serendipity of the chicago live vid having the best audio and video of all the live versions

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 18, 2020

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I Am Not A Trumpet Player (thankfully), but there are some brass people on the ML discord who could help you out: https://discord.gg/z9ugUrd

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I just picked up a used Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and it works great, except there's a quiet clicking through my headphones now that's tied to audio playing, through both headphone outputs. Any idea what it is and how I can fix it?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

update:

another problem i realized while my mics were fine, youtube audio was an octave down

followed this: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115001661729-Focusrite-Control-is-showing-No-Hardware-Connected-

nada

followed this: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115005086925,

nada

tried a diff usb cable

nada

reinstalled focusrite software (recced in a yt vid as a possible fix)

nada

went into midi settings, changed format from 20ch 24-bit integer 48khz to 16ch (recced in a yt vid as a possible fix)

fixed the octave displacement and half the clicking!

changed back to 20ch
fixed clicking entirely?!

why are the solutions to my problems always dumb af?? v glad i don't have to unplug/plug in my interface's usb cable from the usb b side in the interface anymore a.k.a. throw a virgin to the volcano every time i plug it in

edit: and it passed a restart :woop:

downside is focusrite control app still isn't recognizing the interface, but :shrug:

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 23, 2020

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

excellent bird guy posted:

I have a Made in Germany Hohner diatonic button accordion, Corona 2 I believe that I bought at an accordion store last year, but it just bamboozles me, I don't know how to play it. I can do anything with strings but this this is hard for me to wrap my head around. How can I get better? I like traditional Russian/Easter European folk type music. The sort of sad minor waltzy kind of tunes.

I just looked up a layout guide and yikes, it’s the kind where pushing and pulling gets different notes, and the change isn’t even consistent—sometimes it’s a whole step, sometimes a minor third, a major third, a fifth...

I like a good challenge, but that’s too much. personally I’d get a piano accordion cuz they don’t do that

sticking with it though, I think the easiest way to learn it would be to google folk song sheet music and learn by rote until your brain just knows where notes are

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is formal college-level music schooling worth it anymore in 2020 if you just want to learn more / better, and you're not as interested in the professional opportunities and the connections? I remember reading that people would say that "if you finish your Berklee degree, you're doing it wrong", in the sense that it's all about finding like-minded musicians and then leaving to pursue musical opportunities together, vs getting a degree or some kind of accreditation. Is that more true than ever in 2020, with so much education available online, and assuming you can get private education in person in the city where you live?

moreso than ever, esp outside the classical world where academia is p much the only place TO make connections. rock, jazz, pop, etc. just go be part of the scene. you'll meet the same people, not spend thousands of dollars, plus you get to pick what you play and who you play with

it's especially not worth it if you can learn at a pace that's above a crawl. music theory is traditionally done in four semesters/two years, but you can easily condense that into 3-4mo. same for p much every class outside lessons, cuz those are already at your own pace and not a slow pace

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

buy a used theory textbook, read the first 5-10 chapters (the first 5-7 are prolly review or just putting words to things you already know), then google ”[song you like] sheet music” and reharmonize the melody with what you learned, spend the extra 50-100$ on idk, music you wanted but there wasn’t a free pdf of?

edit: i have an old theory textbook i could mail you for 50$ shipped if you wanna do the above

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 17, 2020

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Brotein_Shake posted:

Is there somewhere else now people hang out to find other musicians? Grindr?

this is like the opposite of hooking up with people you meet at shows

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H327YVB/

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Sibelius is for sheet music, so of course it’s gonna sound like rear end. You could use a free DAW like Reaper which has better sounds and then buy a woodwinds or sax sample library, but that gets expensive quick so honestly I’d write it out in Sibelius and pay a sax player friend 100-200$ to play it

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

Sibelius has vst support afaik

it does! but it’ll never allow you the control over the sound output that any basic daw will

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

diamonds/footballs/eggs/etc is a reference to the shape of the note heads for whole notes

things like this aren’t fundamentals and aren’t technically correct (just write out the notes), they’re things players say in rehearsals/on recording sessions that’ve been colloquially added to the vernacular

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

nine16thsdago posted:

there aren't any note heads shaped like that for like 50 measures after that instruction appears.

since you said it’s a rhythm chart/lead sheet, i’m guessing it’s got time slashes or the melody. text instructions like that are meant to supersede any written material as they were likely added during the rehearsal process, after the chart was written

can you post a picture of the chart?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

cruft posted:

The main song feels pretty clearly 3+2 to me, but this is probably splitting hairs. It's some multiple of 5, OP.

e: And yeah, they're dropping an 8th note at the end of the chorus.

this, plus a beat in the drum break

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

timp posted:

Just be sure to avoid Finale—between Sibelius and Finale, Sibelius is the better choice by a mile imo.

i use the big three (Sibelius, Finale, and Dorico), and can confirm this. Dorico is decent right now if you’re not doing anything professional and don’t have tight deadlines, but i can’t recommend it due to that + other reasons. esp as a beginner to notation software (that has a budget), get a Sibelius subscription

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Also, to be clear, my eventual goal is to output audio files. I just assumed that a score notation would be the easiest for me to work with, since I have plenty of familiarity with reading music.

since your output is audio files you’ll also prolly want a DAW since while notation software does have audio output, it’s more a minimally functional bonus feature than anything fully featured since their primary output is sheet music to be read by humans. if you’re more comfortable writing music with notation, you can export your notation as MIDI and adjust the attacks/decays/note lengths/dynamics etc. in a DAW

the two majors are Logic and ProTools, and Reaper (free) and ableton also exist. i’m not as well versed in DAWs and have just used Logic and Reaper, and Logic is waaaaay better than Reaper. the main thing i’ve heard re: DAWs is use whatever the people you work with use. i’m guessing it’s just you, so pick up whichever you like the look of the most

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

hooah posted:

Are there any decent free (at least for personal use) music notation programs out there these days? I don't need anything nearly as powerful as Sibelius or ...the other one that I'm suddenly drawing a blank on. Just something to extract a horn part from a score or rearrange a piano part with.

MuseScore is free and basically Sibelius lite

Sibelius is like 10$/mo though, and is definitely worth it for being infinitely less frustrating

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

This is bugging the loving poo poo out of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV5wT-ps9DI

I swear to God I have heard the melody and chord structure before in another (older?) song. I played it for a friend and they had the same immediate reaction. Music nerds, can you help?

try the ”help me identify a song” megathread

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Has anyone ever tried practicing while listening to non-music audio? I’ve been watching a lot of a trial recently and so, gently caress it, why not practice a little bit cause I need metronome time, right?

Even when I turn off the metronome though and I’m keeping rhythm on my own, I still wind up keeping a better, steadier beat going. Like I noticed it with Bela Fleck’s Big Country which is usually the bane of my existence because it has big chunks of just rests where it’s just tapping along/ghost strokes. And the same thing happens if it’s a podcast or the news or something where I’m splitting attention 60/40 between both.

I bothered checking with other people if I really do this, so it’s not just my perception of time goes to poo poo. It seems like a real phenomenon.

What the hell? Anyone ever hear of this?

Not really a music question per se, but it’s weird and I’m curious.

a lotta drummers do this with rudiments on a practice pad. for some reason anime is a common thing to watch while doing it, not sure why

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

InternetOfTwinks posted:

EDIT: Also, is there like, a Discord or something for the subforum? Would be nice for some of the extra small questions here that I don't necessarily want to poo poo up the thread with.

https://discord.gg/tT7UQRnz

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Does anyone have advice for how to transcribe music that you're listening to? I wanted to make a variation on the "you got shot down" sting from Starfox for the SNES, but I cannot for the life of me get the notes right. I'm pretty sure the first two are G and D, but nothing I follow it up with sounds right.

play the song up to the part you want to transcribe. pause it immediately after the first note. sing that note and hold it. play notes on a keyboard until one matches what you’re singing. if you lost the note, back up and try again. once you find it, write it down. repeat for each note.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Otis Reddit posted:

Would anybody like to do some charts for me? I'm trying to solidify arrangements for some of the groups I am working with, and there's too much for me to do by hand -- I'd rather give the business to a goon than to fiverr

maybe, pming you for more info!

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

I can’t help with that but I’m dying to read about how that works. All my solutions immediately involve the word “strings” lol. But gently caress yeah on learning the Chinese flute. Good on you.

But posting cause I have a question : is there a good way to look up random notational symbols besides googling a terrible description or just looking at lists until I find it and then searching? I have no formal training and just keep learning by contact so a sort of staff dictionary would be a treat.

Also jazz is hard.

it’s not in the wikipedia list?

if not, post a pic and someone here identify it

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Is there a quick way to convert midi to guitar tablature? I could transcribe it by hand of course, but if there's an already existing solution that'd make things quicker.

import it into a notation software. the sheet music will be hot garbage but the tabs should be fine. musescore is free, or sibelius is like 12$/mo

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

How would you finger the left hand in this sequence?

Not shown, because it's on the next row of the page, is that the immediate next note is a G1/G2 octave chord. So far the best I've come up with for the second phrase is 5-2-1-2-3-5, but landing that last note is really tricky. I'm not used to doing blind jumps that land on my pinky.

The piece in question is an arrangement of the "Port" theme from Terranigma. The spot I'm asking about occurs at 0:53. If you click through the video, there's a link to the sheet music in the video description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLBnAry5E5c

532121 532124

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

stephen_falken posted:

Hope this is the right place to post, just have a quick question. Is it really true that in the past couple of years Avid ProTools has killed all perpetual licensing, and is now 100% subscription-based?
:capitalism:

correct

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/faq/Pro-Tools-Licensing-FAQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

all of them, they’re all famous guitarists

but that doesn’t mean they’re each playing unique parts, or even all playing at the same time—notice how a lot of the time willie nelson just isn’t playing, and two of the other singers are playing the same chords with the same voicings