Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
Here's my small problem and I'm sure someone can answer it:

I bought a new Macbook Pro for music. I have never owned an apple product before, so the UX is a little confusing.

I have installed Ableton and all the packs I had installed on my old Windows based setup. Also installed Melodyne, which is the only plugin I currently use.

BUT! I can't get ableton to see Melodyne. I'm using all the default installation locations.

It's probably obvious, but I cannot figure it out.

Edit: is it because the latest Ableton is M1 native and Melodyne needs Rosetta?

JeffLeonard fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

Simone Poodoin posted:

Yes, that's it. Ableton 11.1 won't see Intel only plugins. If melodyne has an au that should work, or you can have Ableton start with Rosetta anyway. I did that to be able to work on my older projects and it works fine.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/4415807634322-How-to-open-Live-using-Rosetta

Thanks for the help.

I figured out the au thing and new projects work with melodyne. I can just use my old computer if I want to revisit older projects.

Thanks again!

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

for fucks sake posted:

Definitely. Online music spaces tend towards talking about gear, and there's not enough emphasis on the craft imo.

Agreed. I'm always curious on others' creative approach. Someone start the thread!

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

InternetOfTwinks posted:

I know a lot of people will write out the melody line on a piano/synth or whatever, then go back in and figure out the words. That way you have an idea of cadence and structure that can help inform your lyric choices.

Yep. I almost always have melody before lyrics. Once in a while, I will have the refrain in my head before writing music, but not often. I just record a piano track with the melody line, then reference that isolated track to write lyrics.

My advice for lyrics is to just write something down and record it. I get hung up on trying to write "perfect" lyrics and end up not writing anything. Just write, record and listen. I put working tracks on my phone and listen to them all the time. Go back and rewrite the parts you don't like. And sometimes a "throwaway" lyric line grows on you. You know that you stuck that line there just because it rhymed, but someone else may find that line interesting or meaningful.Do that over & over until it's right.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Just to check, are you hoping to make money as a musician?

After quoting, I saw Pollyanna's response to this, which was the proper response.

Technology has made music making affordable for almost everyone. There's more people writing and recording music now than ever. All the financial entry barriers to recording that existed are gone. At the same time, it's almost impossible to make money creating music. I read a quote here that really struck a chord. I don't remember the exact quote, but the gist was this: Somewhere, someone is working on a song that means a lot to them. They find time to write, record and produce a completely new song that has never existed before. In almost every case, the only reward this person will ever receive for all his creativity, sweat and hard work is a note from a stranger on the internet that says "I liked this".

It is a pretty cool feeling when someone listens to something I did. I also told my wife that if I can make enough money from the record I'm working on to buy us lunch, I will have wildly exceeded my expectations.

Thanks for listening to my lousy TED talk on modern music making.

EDIT: Pollyanna, stop getting in your own way and just MAKE SOMETHING

JeffLeonard fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 23, 2023

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

SardonicTyrant posted:

Does anyone use a computer to make synth music? What program(s) do you use?

I use all software synths, except for one Korg minilogue.

Ableton is the DAW I use and it includes a lot of synths & patches. My main go-to plug in synth 90% of the time is Omnisphere. I use Massive and a few other Native Instruments devices too.

Omnisphere is expensive, but is absolutely loaded with patches. I've had it for 2-3 years and I'm still finding cool sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
Soundcloud does exactly what you want.