Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

What's the name of the piece of guitar or bass playing between the lines of the blues?

I woke up this morning, ~twiddle~
whiskey bottle in my hand. ~twiddle~
I woke up this morning, ~twiddle~
etc.

Is it a return? A vamp? A lick? I'm confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm playing Bass and learning music theory to along with it - would the purchase/practise/use of a keyboard help me out or dilute my practise to negate any positive effects? I'm dedicating an hour or two every other day and maybe 20 minutes on 'off' days.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Specifically to help with the theory, to help with the bass :)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is it worth investing ANY time into a guitar with a very slightly twisted neck? It's a short-scale bass and is already worth practically nothing, and I can't find any cheap necks online.

I was thinking of a repaint and replacement pickups/pots/rewire which aren't that expensive comparitively speaking..

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Awesome, that's good to know. Can I just give them the neck when it's disassembled?

What pickups should I be looking at? It has a pair of humbucker-style ones and is totally passive. I'm looking for a metal-style tone on this one.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I should take it to him after I've stripped it but before repainting?

This is the bass, it's a "Jedson":

I'm thinking of a creamy orange solid repaint. I'll be able to polish up the chrome, right?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

My thirtieth is coming up soon and my wife has given me carte blanche to pick up something nice for myself as a present, but the problem is that I already have a great setup for both my guitar (USA Strat + Blackstar HT1) and my bass (CV 60's P-Bass and a Fender Rumble V3 100w - http://i.imgur.com/AfQgtFw.jpg) and I have completely failed so far to even get to the audition stage with any local bands or groups. I do have a drum machine and an eight track, and I have been doing a little recording there.

If I had no care in the world, I'd likely go for a five-string fan-fretted monster bass or a Jackson Kelly so I could attempt to live out my retarded heavy-metal dreams - but I can't help but feel it'll just be throwing good money away for no reason: after all I specifically picked my gear for a reason.

I'd really like some insight on this, because it seems like a nice opportunity for some wife-sanctioned GAS relief, but unless I'm missing something it's a bit pointless.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 29, 2014

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I can't really work out WHY the main on this song sounds bad, although it clearly does. Can someone help me please?

https://soundcloud.com/williamayerst/chromosphere-iii-crush

Cheers!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thanks guys, I will work on the timing in general, your combined, specific distilled advice seems like so:
- Make the double tracking more interesting (note or tone-wise)
- Bring drums up, compress and add an accent to match the four-and accent on the guitar
- Resolve the solo

I'm trying to record sketches rather than endlessly riffing to an empty house, and work on my production a little in the meantime. These tips help alot, thank you all.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I have a book on jazz theory designed around using the piano to illustrate concepts. I have a midi keyboard, and would typically boot up a DAW, load a piano VST and then set it to monitor the keyboard: but this seems a little overkill for just plinking away at a couple of chords. Is there a better option?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Windows? SaviHost. Put the exe in your vst folder, rename it to that piano vst's name, make a shortcut to it on your desktop or wherever. First time, configure input and output devices and maybe hide some of the visual clutter, but that's it.

Flawless. I used the x86 version to load Versilian Upright Piano, set it to autosave and removed the extra clutter, then pinned to my start menu. You are a saint, thank you.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Crossposting from the piano thread: if I am picking away at chord shapes on a piano as a learning experience for music theory, for extended chords what generally is good practise for fingering: root as base in the left and then 3rd/5th/7th/extensions on the right?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Perfect, thank you - unfortunately I'm passed 'baby level' exercises and now and struggling, but it's still very interesting. The illustration of the following V of V of V of V progression for example:

D9, G13(no5), C13(no5), F9

The 7th of D9 flattens a halfstep to the 3rd of G13. The 7th of G13 flattens to the 3rd of C13 and so on. Arranged with the following notes, there's ALOT of chromaticism, with the '--' indicating bass and treble sides:

D F# -- C E B
G F -- B E A
C E -- Bb D A
F Eb --- A D G

Unfortunately, way beyond my ability to sight read and play off the bat, but hopefully shortly.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Oh goody, I heard you like flats with your flats:

I'm going to need a bigger keyboard to play these chords; is there anything I should be on the look out for 88-key instruments? I'm really not looking for anything too exciting and I've heard the Casio Privia or Yamaha P95 series are great but they're WAY expensive, so I'm thinking about something alot cheaper - maybe even without midi/usb.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Man, those piano brackets in the thousands just put me off further. I need to get better before I want to spend multiple hundreds of pounds. Is there an agreed best-of-worst for something around the $200 mark?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Bro's don't let Bros tune their own pianos (yes my fat fingers are slow as gently caress):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWOXa4jKl0Q

My father decided to restring and tune himself, as much as I love him I think maybe he should have left it to the professionals.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Piano with built in ring modulation? I feel bad because he is so proud of it. He often said 'I can't tell one note from another!' and I kept replying 'That's perfect pitch and it's super rare, most people have relative pitch, for example X' but now I wonder if he really is tonally deaf.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

MuseScore (free windows)?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

musictheory.net honestly does a great job, and then maybe something genre specific? I enjoyed Mark Levine's Jazz Theory book but it's super dense.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I treat that book like a marathon. About once each year I'll start at the beginning and work as far as I can before I lose focus and give up. Each time I get a little farther, and learn a little more. It's a frickin' fantastic book, but I don't know if I'll ever finish it in my lifetime.

Here are seven licks demonstrating the fifth mode of the harmonic minor as played by Jimmy Bo'Daniels, these show real resolution when playing over a #11b13 chord.

I enjoyed creepy circus music :)

As for whole tone scales, it is 'A thing' when playing over a 7 chord, because you have the root, major third and minor seventh - the remainder are all altered tonalities and so work without issue over an Alt chord and give 'flavor' to the 7 chord. On the other hand, making that sound musical is really hard for me.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

High medieval plain chants have been described to me as modal, I.s. Ave Mares Stella in Dorian mode, contrasting with tonal music that came later. It was my understanding one required a diatonic scale to create the modes at first! Am I wrong, or is modal just the best description we have for the way tones were arranged before 1400 or so?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've got a cracked version of FL Studio and a few free sample packs and VSTs. I feel like I've got enough tools to get going, but I obviously need to go legit: am I hamstringing myself by going with FL STudio instead of something like Ableton? LONG term it would be nice to 'play' live but for now I'm mainly composing synthpop/outrun-style music for my own pleasure/12 soundcloud followers.

I've got a 37-key micro-keyboard which is useful for precisely gently caress-all it seems, I'm thinking of replacing with something that has pads, knobs, etc. - is this a false economy?

FWIW my biggest struggles are creating catchy melodies and syncopated drums.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Sweet, I didn't realise there was a trial so I will definitely check that out.

For a beginner is there any worth in getting something with pads and faders and whatnot, if we put aside "playing live" for a moment?

Last q) do need to use ableton to do the ableton push-type playing if I did go live? Or is it a function compatible with most/any daw?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

NonzeroCircle posted:

The Push is designed specifically to work with Live, it may work with others but that would be missing the point of getting a Push. Other pad controllers will work with other stuff, but mostly in a drumming context rather than launching loops and stuff. I believe FL have added a Live-style performance mode thingy but I have no idea about how it works.

Having pads/faders/whathaveyou adds a level of tactility that makes it much more fun and you will often find yourself wanting to adjust two things at once, such as filter cutoff and filter decay for acid bass, and this just isn't happening in real-time if you are only using a mouse.
You will feel more like you are making music than doing admin. Even a little keyboard like the one you have now is good for auditioning sounds in a drum plugin rather than clicking each one.

You convinced me - picked up an Also MPK249 :)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

The little wu-wu-wu-wuuuUUUUU sound at 40:28 in the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfCw4tx5AME

I assumed it was a kind of 'rising pad' sound, but it doesn't appear to pitch change. Is it some kind of low pass filter to get that sound?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've just inherited about forty LPs but I don't have an amplifier. Said benefactor also has a pair of 5" studio monitors (Alesis M520).

I'm thinking if the shipping isn't bad, to replace my PC speakers with the studio monitors, and then just deal with a turntable/amplifier as a separate thing at a later date - make sense?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

How do I get past writing lyrics that are meaningful to me, which obviously dredge up strong feelings of lust, melancholy, loss, etc. that are great songwriting fodder but which could have real world consequences? For example writing a song about how my one true love left me might make my wife pretty upset! That's fictional but you get my drift?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Quick question: if I am playing a song in the key of B, would I be able to use a B minor blues scale for soloing? I know if the song is in the key of B I would use the Ab minor pentatonic, and was wondering if that also applied to blues.

I assume you mean 'Key of B major' (that is, the notes B, C#, D#, E, F# G#, A#, B) ? If that's the case then Ab/G# Minor pentatonic would work as would most of C# and D# minor pentatonic. Once you start talking about 'blues scale' however, you're really working with a musical tradition that doesn't 'fit' - it can flip between major and minor, you can play all seven chords, you can play the tritone (blue note) so it's OK to feel more free with it.

NB: if you're being strictly correct, you should call the relative minor of B major, G# minor - the reason is that you ideally want to fit one of each letter into a scale, and since you have to have an A#, you can't have an Ab as well, so that note has to be a G#.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there something like a Realbook/Fakebook for modern music which can tell me things like typical chord progressions (in music theory/nashville notation, etc.), BPM, drum patterns for electronic genres like Trip Hop, Chillstep, Future Bass, etc. etc. - rather than scraping videos for writing music in different styles online which often degenerate into tweaking that kick sample or 'now you see this is the MINOR chord in the key of C' bollocks?