Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Do you hear the sound through your PC speakers at all? I'd be inclined to say the noise wouldn't be there when recording direct if only because the power for all computer gear will be transformed to DC by the time it enters the components so any interference like that will hopefully be eaten by the PSU or adapter, while the amp itself is an AC beast and whatever noises there are due to the wiring are being directly converted to sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Reaper can run VST instruments and is free to evaluate and not much to purchase (I was going to also say Audacity but the documentation says it can only do VST effects and not instruments, not sure if that's still current).

I don't use Cubase personally but you'd get it for things like the included instruments/effects/samples (some of the plugins included in commercial DAWs are pretty high quality) and the overall workflow of the program, all DAWs do things a little bit differently and it's largely down to personal preference for which one to work in. It might integrate with hardware controllers and interfaces more seamlessly than the free options, a lot of stuff will come with Cubase support out of the box because it's such a standard. I've also heard that some people prefer the sound of a specific DAW, like if the same track was produced in multiple workstations they would be able to identify what was made where because of certain tells but I can't validate those claims at all.

Other options include FL Studio, Renoise, Sonar, Protools as well as Logic and Garageband (free!) if you have a Mac.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

iostream.h posted:

Also, always practice with a metronome. ALWAYS.

But not always always, you know. There still needs to be bouts of practice sans click so you don't freak out when you play and the familiar timekeeper is no longer there. But still, use metronomes (or drum machines) a lot.

I can also vouch for the DR-40, amazing quality from those little condensers. It's a little bulkier than I would have liked though, fits into a pocket but you are always aware it's there (and I am a big dude with big pockets), makes it less inviting to take with me to sample environment noises. The XLR ports on the base dictate the thickness of the unit, sometimes I wonder if there would have been any audio quality drop if I had bought one of the smaller units with no XLR.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
In logic you have a secondary tool that's used by clicking while holding down the command key and you can choose which function is enabled by doing this, but apart from that I think your best bet would be to learn what the shortcuts are to switch between tools. There are keyboard overlays you can buy that show you a lot of the main shortcuts, like this:

and they work pretty well providing you have the right keyboard. There are also stickers you can buy that stick on every key to do the same thing for more broad keyboard compatibility but they can't be just lifted off like the rubber ones and will probably interfere with general typing experiences.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Probably just a lot of unshielded wiring at some point in your circuit. I have a little metal pedal that just functions as a killswitch for signal and it sitting between two regular guitar leads is enough for me to legibly pick up local sports transmissions. Maybe make a super ghetto cable out of two strands of insulated wire, perhaps even the same sort of wire that actually gets used for AM antennas.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I did a similar thing with camo cloth tape on a guitar, I just used a couple of cans of matte-finish polyurethane spray lacquer and it set really well with a sort of plastecised finish. Stick the comics on with a layer of contact adhesive and then give it a couple of dozen coats with the spray and it will hold forever.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Guitar Pro has pretty robust drum notation.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Maybe bitrate differences? If one session is in 44khz/16 bit and the other is 48khz/24 bit or similar it might be causing the crashes.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Literally Elvis posted:

I have too many guitar pickups, and I want to build a case to store them. What, if any, precautions should I take when designing it to make sure their magnets aren't hosed with?

Don't build the case out of magnets?
I don't think there's too much to be concerned about, you see pickups stacked next to each other all the time in shops, as long as there's a cm or two between each unit in your design then whatever slim issues there may be will be completely alleviated.
One of those little toolboxes that hold screws or fishing hooks etc in little drawers would be a pretty decent storage system for multiple pickups.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You could use a sanding block and sandpaper in decreasing grits to take the bulk away and then give a fine finish, cover all the wood on the fretboard with masking tape so just the frets are showing and have at it. Also discount stores often sell cheap tools, you might be able to find a suitable file for a couple of bucks that will do the job.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

On a track like this: https://soundcloud.com/colorcode-1/night-owl, which (except for the drums) was just recorded to one track, how would one remove the crazy ear-splitting frequencies while still keeping the effect of me fiddling with my keyboard's resonance knob throughout? With my usual EQ (or any other VSTs I have), I can't seem to figure out how to cut or even identify the harsh stuff without taking out something else I like. Am I asking for too much?

In your eq plugin if you take one of the frequency points and amplify it as much as possible while making the q as small as possible you'll end up with a spike that you can sweep around that will intensify a very narrow range of frequencies, and once you find the noise that is causing you grief then just bring that same spike down below 0db until it stops being so sharp, and repeat as necessary as there might be more than one of these hot spots. Plugins like Ozone have a feature where you can isolate the frequency that you are clicking on so you can sweep around and do the same sort of thing but just a bit more directly. I think parametric eq plugins are better for surgical removal of frequencies so use one of those if you have one, linear phase EQs can affect the surrounding frequencies when notching like this.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

How can I follow a slow tempo? I feel like it takes way more effort to play slowly than quickly. Slower than about 80 bpm and I'm hitting notes earlier because it feels like my "inner tempo" or whatever is around 100.

Set your metronome click to double your intended tempo and then play to it in halftime, the extra tics should help you follow the slower pace and after a while it will feel natural.
Also practice playing as slow as your metronome will allow, usually 40bpm. After settling into this tempo for a bit jumping back up to 80 will feel pretty snappy.

Playing slow but tight is a lot harder than faster speeds because as you've seen the slight timing discrepancies really come through when you have time to analyse the gaps between notes. A good exercise is to intentionally play just before the beat, and just after it as well, it takes a lot of practice to get the muscle memory locked in. If you don't do it already, try nodding your head or tapping your foot to the beat, just keep your body continually moving to the tempo and it will help you internalise it a lot more.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Go for it, it's the most closely related forum you'll find on the site and we get very little traffic in here so anything is welcome.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is it always on the same guitar? If so you might have a small burr or something on the nut or bridge that gradually wears through the string. If it's over several guitars it might be your playing style that eats them up quickly. I've used D'addario strings for a decade and haven't had a single break so my vote goes to them.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
As a person who also makes poorly thought out purchase decisions on shiny new toys that end up with minimal usage I feel I am qualified to provide you a response.
A couple of years back I had a similar itch and bought the Maschine software and controller, only having 8 years of guitar playing and minimal DAW experience prior to that, and I don't regret it at all and consider it to be a pivotal purchase in my musical education. I have come so far since then in writing and constructing songs and even though I haven't released anything I've still made dozens of songs and hundreds of small loops and have enjoyed every minute of it, as well as learning a shitload about production while loving around with noises.

Definitely buy it. It's easy to pick up the basics and like any instrument will take a long time to get really proficient with it, but you learn so many new skills (songwriting, arrangement, mixing, sound design etc) that it will only improve your musicianship as a whole. There are tons of online resources for Ableton, as well as youtube videos for anything you are having trouble with as well as start to finish song construction tutorials, and the software itself is really good and used by a lot of successful artists. I haven't used the launchpad but Maschine is pretty similar and the tactile feeling of button pressing gives you a closer feeling to the song when playing or composing, it can feel pretty sterile sometimes just making a song entirely with a mouse. But the clip triggering is a lot of fun and you can quickly make a four track loop of drums, bass, pads and lead and then get lost on that for hours while slathering everything in all sorts of effects, so even if you never make any full songs you can still get good usage from it.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Have a look in device manager and see if there are any exclamation marks next to anything, missing drivers could cause issues like this. Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers for your mainboard, either from the manufacturer website or directly from the intel/amd sites as those ones can be a bit more up to date. If you use a 3rd party SATA controller on the mainboard also ensure that those drivers are current. Same with USB drivers and even ones for your soundcard, update everything you can. Check in the BIOS to make sure drive access is configured as AHCI, it shouldn't have changed for any reason but if it's set to IDE that can cause bandwidth issues.

I haven't done a lot with latency in Windows but ASIO4ALL gets mentioned all the time with regard to input latency, it might help in your case. In the DAW options the lower the sample size is the quicker the output will be so try setting it to 64 or 128 samples and see if it changes anything.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Some PA systems have inbuilt limiters, it could be getting slammed by the sub bass of the 808 and lowering everything else by comparison.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It could also be just your 808 bass being way too loud in your original tracks, most non-PA setups won't really be able to represent that sort of sub bass effectively so when listening through headphones or pc speakers there's probably a lot of frequency information that gets missed until you hear it on the club system, as a result you end up turning the 808 up to make its higher energy audible over the other drum track on your home systems but that ends up flooding the low spectrum with a ton of inaudible sub bass that makes itself heard as soon as an appropriate speaker is introduced.

Try downloading Voxengo SPAN (it's free) and put it on the master output of your DAW when both tracks are playing, if you see a huge amount of low end energy in the 0 to 80hz range then this is likely to be the root of your issues.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Check out the Zoom G1on, it has an inbuilt looper as well as some drum patterns and retails for about $50US so fits narrowly into the dirt cheap category.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Enourmo posted:

Are there any good, free resources for learning how to compose? I've kinda wanted to try my hand at it but everything cursory googling turns up is either course-based (free or not, i just don't like rigid timeframes for stuff like this), geared more towards "how to use this particular software suite", or hyper-focused on a particular genre without talking about just general theory and songwriting.

Absolute best thing to do is take apart songs you like and then build up your own with the resulting ingredient list. Get as granular as you can, start by breaking the song into sections so you can see the arrangement layout, then narrow those down into 4 bar blocks and just write down everything that happens in those parts.

ie: (intro) (verse 1) (pre chorus) (chorus) (verse 2) (pre chorus) (chorus) (bridge) (chorus) (outro)
Tempo ~140BPM

Intro
bar 1-4: clean guitar Amin-Fmaj-Cmaj-Gmaj, no bass, drums start at bar 3 standard rock beat, no cymbals
bar 5-8: vocal stabs enter every 2 bars, high freqs rolled off vocals, minimal reverb, drum roll at end of section
Verse:
bar 9-12: vocals and bass start abruptly, cymbals come into drums, guitar pattern stays same but mild distortion happens, bass plays root not of chords in straight eighth notes
bar 13-16:feedback buildup starts, drums drop out at bar 16, reverb swells towards end of secon
chorus:
bar 17-20: more guitars come in at left and right channels, progression changes to Gmaj-dmin-Cmaj, clean guitar stops, drum roll at end of every 2 bars, backing singers mimic main vocal line
etc etc etc

Do it to enough songs and it will start coming naturally, just try and draw as much info as you can, and then start writing a bunch of songs with exactly that format. Don't be afraid of outright stealing arrangement ideas as when you break down enough songs you realise a huge amount of music is based on the same templates.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hammer action keys are a great improvement on semi-weighted, I have a PX-150 and going to that from 37 key synths was a revelation. It feels amazing to play and makes me come back to the piano so often just due to how fun the movements of the keys are under my fingers, worth every cent of the purchase price ($600AU).

I don't think you'd be able to find any modern keyboards without midi or USB, it's not exactly a premium feature. A lot of the really cheap 88 key units will have a pretty bland internal sound bank, but connect them to a laptop or an ipad via USB and you have way more sound options.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Southern Heel posted:

Bro's don't let Bros tune their own pianos (yes my fat fingers are slow as gently caress):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWOXa4jKl0Q

My father decided to restring and tune himself, as much as I love him I think maybe he should have left it to the professionals.

haha that's the best. Sample that poo poo and market it as the next big thing in sound design.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
See if any of those music shops do instrument rental, you might be able to get a great cello for fairly minimal outlay while you save for a decent one.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

philkop posted:

I'm getting into composition, specially for video games.

My setup is basically ableton with a midi controller and an apc40 for arranging.

I'd like a super broad range of quality sounds and I was considering getting a workstation like the Korg Kross instead of just using vsts packs and a midi controller.

Just looking for some advice on workstation vs midi controller + vsts.

For me, the workstation would be awesome for the workflow. I love being able to flip through and sample sounds as I'm jamming out new ideas. Most of my production codes together on a sort of jammy improv style.

I also very much like the idea of having an "Instrument" that makes sounds regardless of whether or not my computer is running.

E: I should also mention that I play and record everything live, percussion included, not program it in as is common in some workflows.

Check out Maschine if you haven't already, it ticks all of your boxes except the "is an instrument without a computer" one, but it's really easy to throw tracks together and audition new samples. Comes with a ton of content these days and integrates seamlessly with the Komplete libraries, and also ties in well with ableton if you prefer the familiar mixing environment.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There's also Presonus Studio One Prime which is a free version of their full DAW, no idea how good it is at audio slicing but it's worth a shot.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Brettbot posted:

So I'm looking for a way to make music on my Android phone (Sony Xperia Z3V to be precise) when I have free time. Anyone know a good app? I play guitar but I recognize any apps would probably be piano-based, given the limitations of touch-screens. I'm really just looking to practice scales/modes and come up with chord progressions or riffs when inspiration strikes or when I'm stuck at work with time to kill.
Ideally, it would have the ability to record, and maybe play drum loops to play along with? I'm not stuck on free either, a paid app would be OK.

Stagelight

Has only been out a week but has a lot of good reviews. I forgot that I had read about it until your question so thanks, downloading it now.
It looks similar to garageband on ios.

e: it's pretty cool, you build up patterns and beats and then turn them all on and off in an arrange view sort of like ableton or maschine.
the demo song sounds pretty good, there are some included sounds but there is a lot available via in-app purchase.
there are inbuilt tutorials on how to use the program and also how to construct songs.
the interface is sooooo tiny on my 1440p note 4, it's very sharp and actually fits quite a lot onto the screen but it's just on the edge of being comfortable and I have to use the stylus because all the icons are so small.

Gym Leader Barack fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 24, 2015

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm looking for a program that will let me input a chord progression - like maybe a 12-bar blues or rhythm changes - and easily transpose it to other keys. It would also help if it outputs to a pdf or image file or something, although I can live with taking screenshots if necessary. Is there anything like that? It doesn't have to be free, but I'd prefer that it doesn't cost a zillion bucks either.

Pretty sure guitar pro can do all this, it's only $60 for the full thing but there's a trial so you can see if it does what you want before outlaying cash money.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The only answer is persistence. Make a song per day for a month and you can almost guarantee that song 31 will be a marked improvement on song 1.

You know if you're on the right track if you like the music you are making, and like it enough to show other people. There is no right direction, only your own bearing which often has little to do with the paths mapped by prior musicians, which are usually congested with a million other me-too artists.

A good exercise is to disassemble other tracks that you like, create a basic "recipe" set of instructions of that song with as much detail as you can muster, and then make your own track with that recipe. Rinse, repeat.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The Zoom G3 has an inbuilt looper and drum machine, when you make a loop while the drums are playing it automatically syncs the loop to the end of the next beat after you press the stop pedal, so it's like "3 and 4 and *stomp* 1 and..." and the loop keeps playing in time from the 1 beat without any drifting for as long as you want. Fantastic for laying down a beat and progression and then just improvising for hours. It can also do unsynced looping if you leave the drums patterns off if for whatever reason you need less rigid loops.

The drums sound OK, nothing ground breaking, and there are enough patterns to cover most bases if you muck around with the tempo, but the guitar effects are great quality though. There'd have to be some huge development in multifx technology to get me to change away from the G3 anytime soon.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Does your edrum kit not have a USB port? I thought prettymuch everything supported midi over usb these days.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Teikanmi posted:

Randomly my computer's microphone will emit an incredibly high pitched, yet barely audible squealing noise that only goes away when you touch the metal base of the mic with something conductive, like your finger or something. Obviously there's some kind of weird grounding issue. Is there some way to make sure it stays grounded? About the best I can come up with is just to tie a key chain around it, but there's gotta be a better way or a solution to this.

a) are you using a laptop and b) does the power adapter have an earth prong in the centre of the AC lead? Some laptops (metal ones like macbooks mainly) get a weird grippy feeling on the surface if using a non-earthed cable and this goes away when the earth is connected, unsure if it's related to your issue but it's in line with the weird-poo poo-happens-with-unearthed-laptops phenomenon. If it's a desktop then I guess still make sure the cable has an earth, pretty unlikely that it won't but I have seen some IEC socketed leads that omit the ground line. If the microphone does this when connected to other computers then it might be a fault in the mic housing.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah 3M make conductive tapes.

Are you using both the USB and mic input simultaneously?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I like my AKG D5, it's often compared directly to the 58.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
They're referred to as inversions if you want to research further, move the root an octave higher and it's first inversion, move the third an octave as well and you have the second inversion, move the fifth up too and you're back at the standard chord but an octave higher.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

A common critique I hear on my electronic tracks is that my drums aren't loud enough, lack punch, are set too far back in the mix. I know there's probably not a "one-size-fits all" answer, but anybody know some quick "rules of thumb" for appropriate mixes on electronic drums? Like, the drums should typically be [x level] compared to your lead instruments, should always be panned to such-and-such position, or something like that?

(An example of the type of music I'm making garnering the critique: https://soundcloud.com/eric-zak/jade-city-remix)

Yeah like MrSargent said, try and mix everything around your drums. Those zappy kicks have a lot of high and low end so you'll need to carve out space in the upper and lower freqs to make them stand out. It doesn't sound like there's any sidechaning on the bass, that would be a good place to start, doesn't have to be the extreme WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP of a club track but having the bass dip by a couple of db with each kick should bring them to the front a bit more. I also love parallel compression with drums, bounce your drums to a new track and compress/distort the hell out of it, then fade it up behind the original drum track to beef it up.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

JamesKPolk posted:

When side chaining OTB is it better to record initially though the compressor or to feed the recorded track through after the fact?

Its synth bass if it matters but I've been wondering in general

I like recording clean and applying compressors etc afterwards, gives a lot more flexibility if you need to adjust any of the compressor settings afterwards. Best way would be to record two tracks from the same synth bass source, one through your compressor setup to capture the vibe of what you're playing and the other one leave unprocessed so you can experiment later on without entirely losing sight of what you had going earlier.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

katkillad2 posted:

I don't know if this is a good thread for this question or not, if someone wants to point me into a better spot feel free.

I recently bought a high resolution music player, yes I'm the grandpa who still wants a dedicated mp3/flac player. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EN3Z1RQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With headphones it sounds incredible. When I use the lineout to my car it sounds like absolute poo poo. My Zune mp3 player that this is replacing sounded great in my car, so I don't think it's an issue with my car's speakers/system.

Is the equalizer on my car system clashing with the equalizer on my music player? All of the equalizer options from my music player sounded like poo poo. Should I match my car equalizer to my music player or set my car equalizer to off/even?

The other question involves volume, which is also how I noticed how lovely it sounded in my car. The louder I had the volume in my car the worse it sounded. My music player has the option of the lineout volume being fixed or adjustable. Do I want to leave it at it's fixed volume and continue using the volume adjust of my car, or leave the car at a lower volume and use my devices audio adjustment?

Sounds like poo poo in what way? If it's all woofy and crackly it could be coming in way too hot, try setting it to the adjustable line out setting and have it right down low and use the volume controls on the car stereo to increase it. A high res music player might be expecting high impedance headphones and pushing out a hotter signal to compensate, which would end up much louder than the zune at similar volume settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jazz Marimba posted:

What are some audio editing programs besides GarageBand? I'm specifically looking for one where you can zoom in on the waveform (more than GarageBand allows) to be able to precisely cut preceding and trailing silence from short audio samples (0.1-5.0 seconds), bonus if it allows files to be shorter than 0.5 seconds

If you're comfortable with garageband then the step up to Logic X is a sensible one, can do all the audio editing you need and you can zoom waaaaaay into the waveform and cut it right at the crossover point so there aren't any pops or clicks. Decently priced for a full DAW suite and you can get it even cheaper if you buy app store cards on sale.