Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

ShaneB posted:

Is this a thread where I could find someone to provide some one-time (perhaps more?) consulting on setting up my self-employment LLC correctly/to my best advantage, and how to plan for taxes, investing, etc? Have money and will pay for the time. Or I can just post for free!

What state are you in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Epi Lepi posted:

What state are you in?

CO

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Bad news at work. Landlord decided to cut the power for bullshit reasons and tried to make my boss pay the bill that another company accrued. Now almost all the electricity is cut off save the company fridge, coffee machine and 2 office rooms. I as Accounts Receivable, Payroll and whichever boss can stay at the office when not in meetings or discussing with clients are the only ones in the office that can do any other work. It's frankly ridiculous. Apparently not even my bosses were given a notice about this power bill issue. It was supposed to be a "30 minute long" correction. It is now about 48 hours and power is still kaput. We can't even have the bathroom light or AC on. The good news is the building stays cool at least.

Still despite all that with how my bosses are treating me well and the fact they listen to me when I tell them good news like clients paying off their debts and reducing our overdue invoices down significantly they seem to be happy to hear it. And no one poo poo talks me about my pace of making invoices or my dress code.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 9, 2023

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
https://twitter.com/trungtphan/status/1734985280732680515?s=46

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

lmao that one of the sponsors you can see on a background screen was EVE ONLINE

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Their website is extremely self aware, I love this.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023
I'm looking for a job now and I've noticed a few companies are posting job ads without naming the company. I saw one for "Leading Manufacturer - Downtown Chicago"

Why do they do this and should I regard this as a red flag?

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Usually when it's like that the posting is from a recruiter. They don't want you to Google the company and apply directly there. That way they get the agreed-upon amount for referring you, which is usually a % of your salary if you stay for X amount of time.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

Audax posted:

Usually when it's like that the posting is from a recruiter. They don't want you to Google the company and apply directly there. That way they get the agreed-upon amount for referring you, which is usually a % of your salary if you stay for X amount of time.

Yeah, just email them your resume, once they slap their header on it, they will be happy to tell you who it is. It won't affect your search other than recruiters are annoying and pretty useless unless you are doing a passive search or in a very niche industry.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Looking for jobs and so many are trying to force 4 or 5 days a week in the office and I’m just like lol nah but thanks for wasting my time I guess.

It’s such a red flag that management is poo poo and doesn’t trust their employees in today’s market, and I’m not feeling much pressure to accept that bullshit

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I must be a bad millennial because I hated working from home and I would never do it again.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

I must be a bad millennial because I hated working from home and I would never do it again.

Honestly I prefer hybrid and 2-3 days in the office is ideal. It’s good to get out of the house and get some in person time with your coworkers if the culture is good. Its the mandating that’s the red flag to me.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I'm also in Tax and spend a lot of time interfacing with clients and I'd much rather do that in my office as opposed to from home even if it's just via phonecall or zoom.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Any of you got tips on how best to coordinate with clients to ensure people pay on time? I been trying with nonsttop emails but unsure how best to ensure people pay or inform that payment is arriving to make sure my boss' quikbooks are accurate to the company funds.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Annointed posted:

Any of you got tips on how best to coordinate with clients to ensure people pay on time? I been trying with nonsttop emails but unsure how best to ensure people pay or inform that payment is arriving to make sure my boss' quikbooks are accurate to the company funds.

I only officially got my accounting bachelor's a few days ago but i'm pretty sure that it's your boss' responsibility to make sure that he's not putting in payments before they arrive as cash on hand because that is Mega Fraudulent.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Nea posted:

I only officially got my accounting bachelor's a few days ago but i'm pretty sure that it's your boss' responsibility to make sure that he's not putting in payments before they arrive as cash on hand because that is Mega Fraudulent.

Yes that is correct. I think he also has been coordinating witth a CPA rro make sure everything is in accordance with GAAP.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Annointed posted:

From my days in corporate, collections was always the least fun part of the accounting process. There's no way to ensure people pay on time unless they pay you in advance.

Otherwise, your only major leverage is a credit hold -- if they have an order for a big shipment of widgets and their account is past due, being told that their widgets aren't coming until their account is current often works miracles. That said, given the time of the year it is, some larger companies shut down payments to make their year-end balance sheet look better... so that could be part of it as well.

For the second issue of knowing when payments arrived, we had online access to the bank account and so we checked for new payments and entered them every day. If you can't get some access to the account, I don't know of an alternative.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Missing Donut posted:

From my days in corporate, collections was always the least fun part of the accounting process. There's no way to ensure people pay on time unless they pay you in advance.

Otherwise, your only major leverage is a credit hold -- if they have an order for a big shipment of widgets and their account is past due, being told that their widgets aren't coming until their account is current often works miracles. That said, given the time of the year it is, some larger companies shut down payments to make their year-end balance sheet look better... so that could be part of it as well.

For the second issue of knowing when payments arrived, we had online access to the bank account and so we checked for new payments and entered them every day. If you can't get some access to the account, I don't know of an alternative.

I do have access to some bank records, but I'll need my boss to give me full access. Thank you for the advice. And what to do when it comes to late payments for services like labor?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

You have to call late accounts on the phone. They will ignore emails. If its just that they don't have the invoice or forgot, then emails are fine, but if its a true late account you have to call them. Collections sucks, I have to do it to get my own clients to pay me, and its the worst part of my job.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

PatMarshall posted:

You have to call late accounts on the phone. They will ignore emails. If its just that they don't have the invoice or forgot, then emails are fine, but if its a true late account you have to call them. Collections sucks, I have to do it to get my own clients to pay me, and its the worst part of my job.

It's awful, I hate having to ask for payment. We hired a woman this year who is a decent accountant but an absolute bulldog when it comes to calling up deadbeats and she's 100% worth it for that alone.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Annointed posted:

you are using the accounts receivable module in quickbooks, right? forgive me if this seems glib, but that's the whole point of "accounts receivable": tracking which of the bills you've sent to clients that have not been paid yet. you post a receivable in quickbooks when you bill the client, then when they make a payment to you, you deposit the money and post it as a reduction to the receivable in quickbooks. in the meantime, typical practice is to occasionally run "accounts receivable aging" reports to view which receivables are 60 days/90 days/whatever days old and then get on the phone/email to yell at those particular clients until they pay you

i think it might help to clarify what problem you're trying to tackle, because "tracking which of my clients have not paid their bills yet" and "getting my clients to pay their bills" are two separate problems, but the post seems to imply that you're tackling both problems. The first problem can be solved through good old fashioned bookkeeping. The second problem can never be totally solved, it can only be managed by haranguing people until they pay their bills and/or you decide to drop them as clients. (Also worth noting that at some businesses, the employee who handles the first problem is not necessarily the same employee who handles the second problem.)

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Thank you all for the advice. I was able to enjoy a nice vacation without worry of my boss firing me during said vacation. Yay I'm considered someone not to get rid of easily. I do have a list of clients that didn't pay yet, I just have to trudge through said Quikbooks list and bother my boss until we can both just clear things up.

I made progress in my accounting development. I just need to get a second monitor to make things go faster. And my boss to give me a phone book of all clients. With that and trying to improve my Accounts Payable Invoice Collection Skills, I can finally reduce the overdues a bit. Hopefully, get a pay raise along the way.

As for the thing of trying to balance things. It has been hard. I feel like I have to make like a spread sheet or add a column of "all clients that do consistently do not pay within the net 15/net 30 pay period." Or something. I'm just not sure why clients got to be so difficult when it comes to sending out their checks and direct deposits on time. Even worse when some get news of the late fees and number of multiple missed payments.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 28, 2023

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Annointed posted:

Thank you all for the advice. I was able to enjoy a nice vacation without worry of my boss firing me during said vacation. Yay I'm considered someone not to get rid of easily. I do have a list of clients that didn't pay yet, I just have to trudge through said Quikbooks list and bother my boss until we can both just clear things up.

I made progress in my accounting development. I just need to get a second monitor to make things go faster. And my boss to give me a phone book of all clients. With that and trying to improve my Accounts Payable Invoice Collection Skills, I can finally reduce the overdues a bit. Hopefully, get a pay raise along the way.

As for the thing of trying to balance things. It has been hard. I feel like I have to make like a spread sheet or add a column of "all clients that do consistently do not pay within the net 15/net 30 pay period." Or something. I'm just not sure why clients got to be so difficult when it comes to sending out their checks and direct deposits on time. Even worse when some get news of the late fees and number of multiple missed payments.

Congrats on the good vibes!

The last part is easy though - paying bills is expensive, you see, and that hurts the bottom line.

Especially at the end of the year when you're trying to hit metrics. Bonuses don't just pay themselves, after all!

With luck, the product/service your company supplies is annoying enough to find alternate sources for that people start paying their bills after year-end closing~

I legitimately lost track of how much of this post was seriouschat and how much was meme :v:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Zarin posted:

Congrats on the good vibes!

The last part is easy though - paying bills is expensive, you see, and that hurts the bottom line.

Especially at the end of the year when you're trying to hit metrics. Bonuses don't just pay themselves, after all!

With luck, the product/service your company supplies is annoying enough to find alternate sources for that people start paying their bills after year-end closing~

I legitimately lost track of how much of this post was seriouschat and how much was meme :v:

Jokes aside, this helps explain stuff. On another note, I was able to break another record of reducing overdue invoices. Downside, I couldn't clear them all this year due to people just not answering me. But the upside the overdue invoices and number of clients has reduced the most ever since I got here. If I'm lucky I can actually spend the new years being happy instead of paranoid of how many fuckups I did in my invoices.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Got a nasty surprise today: my boss said he's resigning. Not sure what that means ultimately for the department. The controller is already stepping away and they're trying to get a replacement for her and another employee in the European division unexpectedly quit after getting another offer.

We'll see what it means in the end, I suppose. Not what I was expecting to start off 2024. Considering my boss is older and said he has no hard date to resign and just came back from a long vacation, I have to assume he's likely retiring. Either that or he found a job a lot closer to home.

I'm not panicking. It just means work might suck a bit after he's gone and they have to figure out who will do his duties.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Something must have happened. My boss took today off without telling us. Today is the 3rd day of month end close. I had to send one of my financials to him with one of the journal entries he does outstanding because no one knows where the documents are but him. Last night, they sent him a template we need to do all our work and I had to go out and get it. We didn't even know it was released yet. I think something happened that made him quit after 5 years and basically say he don't give a gently caress anymore. He hasn't given a hard resignation date yet but this surprised me.

I don't blame him, though. It's really obvious the company used to have higher standards on how things were handled and that slipped hard when they moved headquarters. I could tell it was pissing him off as the new AP team in the new HQ can't do their job on their own do poo poo kept pilling up to him. And serious mistakes keep happening. For me? I don't care. I put in 40 hours most weeks and 45 at close and get paid on Friday. But I could tell he isn't that kind of guy.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Everyone post their accounting hero

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

drat it sounds like things are falling apartt hard at your firm

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Considering a job offer at a company with a bad wfh policy and needing to consider how attached I am to pantsless accounting

Covok
May 27, 2013

Annointed posted:

drat it sounds like things are falling apartt hard at your firm

Oh, I typoed. He took off today. He'll be in tomorrow. Just surprising.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Good Citizen posted:

Considering a job offer at a company with a bad wfh policy and needing to consider how attached I am to pantsless accounting

Without knowing your work situation, I have to imagine it really just comes down to how much bigger the new paycheck would be.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Zarin posted:

Without knowing your work situation, I have to imagine it really just comes down to how much bigger the new paycheck would be.

Currently unemployed so this would increase my comp roughly infinity%.

I’m not desperate, though, I just like this company’s product and the responsibilities of the position more than most that I’ve talked to recently

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Zarin posted:

Accounting is quickly becoming supply constrained, as soon as you nerds start fighting back on new jobs the sooner things will change. I'm seeing companies offer 110k for a senior accountant with 3-5 years experience and then companies offering 150k for a CFO. Our industry is deranged in how people think of us and adjustments need to be made. Negotiate work from home that makes you comfortable or ask for more money.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Azrial posted:

Accounting is quickly becoming supply constrained, as soon as you nerds start fighting back on new jobs the sooner things will change. I'm seeing companies offer 110k for a senior accountant with 3-5 years experience and then companies offering 150k for a CFO. Our industry is deranged in how people think of us and adjustments need to be made. Negotiate work from home that makes you comfortable or ask for more money.

Okay I'll try to argue at my boss to raise my wages by a dollar or two.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Azrial posted:

Part of the problem is titles and things. There are “CFO”s of orgs with a 5 million budget and 2 staff and then a senior accountant who is an expert in something complex and technical like Sox or valuation or handling futures and swaps for international orgs that have to consolidate.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I got a few years of excel, birch street, and quikbooks.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I forgot to say i. Here, but i got a seasonal tax prep job. Not my ideal, but i had like a 2.4 gpa and the boss seems calm and reasonable, plus they're paying for me to get the California specific tax prep license, which will hopefully look good on a resume. I think that'll make getting a second job easier, and once ive got a year or two of experience i know people stop caring about grades.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Nea posted:

I forgot to say i. Here, but i got a seasonal tax prep job. Not my ideal, but i had like a 2.4 gpa and the boss seems calm and reasonable, plus they're paying for me to get the California specific tax prep license, which will hopefully look good on a resume. I think that'll make getting a second job easier, and once ive got a year or two of experience i know people stop caring about grades.
Congratulations on having an occupation that does help many californians have their much needed tax refunds

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

pseudanonymous posted:

a senior accountant who is an expert in something complex and technical like Sox or valuation or handling futures and swaps for international orgs that have to consolidate.

No there's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Now that I'm more senior in the new office, I'm taking on more managerial work. That also means I found out today that one of our staff members is leaving at the end of the month, which leaves us short-staffed for tax season.

I mean, I think we'll be OK because my old office only had about 4 staff members (1 partner, 3 staff) who processed around 7-800 tax returns annually and we're now 5 here (1 partner, me, and 3-4 other staff) and this office does way less tax returns. Still, now I need to actually think about this.