Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

Do accountants deal with corporate bankruptcies, insolvencies, liquidations and businesses being put into administration or receivership? Trying to turn around failing companies and keep them afloat seems like it would be really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Umbriago posted:

Do accountants deal with corporate bankruptcies, insolvencies, liquidations and businesses being put into administration or receivership? Trying to turn around failing companies and keep them afloat seems like it would be really interesting.

They are probably involved but that sounds more like a law thing.

gmilo
Jun 27, 2006
wooo

Umbriago posted:

Yes, however events like those are usually incredibly complicated so you'll have a slew of both lawyers and accountants working on things like that (or people with both backgrounds)

I think it sounds way more interesting than it actually is honestly. That all sounds like a cover your rear end type of nightmare.

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

gmilo posted:

Yes, however events like those are usually incredibly complicated so you'll have a slew of both lawyers and accountants working on things like that (or people with both backgrounds)

I think it sounds way more interesting than it actually is honestly. That all sounds like a cover your rear end type of nightmare.

I've just seen this kind of work listed in the KPMG graduate recruitment book in the 'advisory' section, so it confirms it as business that accountants work on. What makes you think it would be about rear end covering? The accountants and lawyers get the blame if a company in administration fails?

Millennial
Feb 5, 2006

Umbriago posted:

In Australia they do - the UK similarly. I worked as an insolvency accountant for 12 months a couple of years ago. I enjoyed the work mostly. It was a blend of both legal knowledge and accountancy skills. Given that I have done degrees in both law and accountancy it was a good fit.

I'm fairly sure the UK allows both lawyers and accountants to become insolvency practitioners, unlike Australia where only accountants can become registered liquidators. This area of accounting would be good if you enjoy corporate law and the legal training accountants receive. It would be probably very difficult for people who didn't enjoy their education in company law.

Kackle Pineapple
Jan 23, 2008
This semester at school I got recruited into being a RogerCPA student rep. and my manager just sent me this video about the CPA and a few of the changes in 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5MCOR36Vu0

If you have 20 minutes to kill and want to learn more about the exam.

Not gonna advertise RogerCPA but if you want more information, I'll be happy to help you out.

edit: theres 4 parts to that spiel

Kackle Pineapple fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 1, 2010

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Harry posted:

There's almost no chance it will count towards the CPA.
The only thing that matters is who supervises the department/him (right?) If the Company is big enough there is a decent chance he will have a CPA over him. All the form says is "was employed as an accountant under a CPA for X amount of time"

I have a question:

How close until busy season is messed up to quit? Is it to late? I wanted to do it last week but the managing partner was not there, nor was he Monday. Now I am in the field although I think I am going to try to schedule a meeting Wednesday morning in person before going out to tell him face to face. To be honest, I do not have anything lined up and if they give me more money and don't make me work Saturdays I would even consider staying on during busy season as long as the offer was not insulting. I won't say that at first because I'd rather go ahead and move out of this city, but if they really need me (and pay me like it) I will stay through March.

Question 2: If he can't meet me early Wed (like 7:30) then is it acceptable to do over the phone? I can't wait 24 days until we are both magically in the office at the same time. Plus every day is a day closer to busy season therefore a day more hosed up.

That being said, I also do not think it is unreasonable to quit now. It is 6 weeks before things get bad (and you def cannot quit). Gotta be able to quit at some point, plus we have a busy season pt 2 July-October which is more brutal so can't quit then either.

The big audit planning meeting is next Friday so I know I have to do it before then although I feel like I should at least give them some days before the meeting so I arbitrarily set Wednesday as the deadline to attempt face to face.

edit
To stress I will 100% NOT work any Saturday this busy season and if they ask I won't even answer. I am willing to stay so I don't leave them hanging too hard, but I just cannot do 6 days a week of pain anymore. Hell, they might not even need me which would be awesome, but I feel guilty if they really do (although I should not feel any loyalty, they would fire me in 7 seconds if it made them more money)

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 1, 2010

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Ribsauce posted:

The only thing that matters is who supervises the department/him (right?) If the Company is big enough there is a decent chance he will have a CPA over him. All the form says is "was employed as an accountant under a CPA for X amount of time"

I have a question:

How close until busy season is messed up to quit? Is it to late? I wanted to do it last week but the managing partner was not there, nor was he Monday. Now I am in the field although I think I am going to try to schedule a meeting Wednesday morning in person before going out to tell him face to face. To be honest, I do not have anything lined up and if they give me more money and don't make me work Saturdays I would even consider staying on during busy season as long as the offer was not insulting. I won't say that at first because I'd rather go ahead and move out of this city, but if they really need me (and pay me like it) I will stay through March.

Question 2: If he can't meet me early Wed (like 7:30) then is it acceptable to do over the phone? I can't wait 24 days until we are both magically in the office at the same time. Plus every day is a day closer to busy season therefore a day more hosed up.

That being said, I also do not think it is unreasonable to quit now. It is 6 weeks before things get bad (and you def cannot quit). Gotta be able to quit at some point, plus we have a busy season pt 2 July-October which is more brutal so can't quit then either.

The big audit planning meeting is next Friday so I know I have to do it before then although I feel like I should at least give them some days before the meeting so I arbitrarily set Wednesday as the deadline to attempt face to face.

edit
To stress I will 100% NOT work any Saturday this busy season and if they ask I won't even answer. I am willing to stay so I don't leave them hanging too hard, but I just cannot do 6 days a week of pain anymore. Hell, they might not even need me which would be awesome, but I feel guilty if they really do (although I should not feel any loyalty, they would fire me in 7 seconds if it made them more money)

Your questions are some that we discuss daily on some of my teams at work - there are a lot of people in very similar positions to you in terms of really not wanting to do another busy season, not having something else lined up but not knowing how much time is left to quit "reasonably." A lot of people have sort of taken the position that they need to look out for themselves and if they don't quit before busy season, they might just have to do it during if something good comes up.

Personally, I think you need to do is ASAP. I don't think it is unreasonable to quit now, but the sooner the better because they probably won't be happy either way but you'll mitigate the burning of bridges the sooner you do it. I am also one of the people who will not be leaving any time soon, so I always advocate for early quitting because it *may* screw me over less during busy season (but it will still probably screw me). That being said, it sounds like if a few conditions are met you might consider staying - if that's the case, the closer it is to busy season the more leverage you will have if your firm needs staff. They might be willing to make some concessions in order to keep a body around for at least a good part of the season. We have a woman in our group who has been on a reduced work schedule due to having a baby 9 months ago and we were all sure she would have quit by now. However, it looks like the closer we get to January the more likely they are to let her keep her reduced schedule even during busy season (they weren't going to initially) just so they don't lose someone else.

Unrelated side note: Any tax preparers in this thread? I do taxes on the side during busy season (horrible idea in terms of work-life balance), and just got the IRS pamphlet in the mail saying tax preparers now need to be over $60 a year which seems like such a ripoff. I realize tax preparers make money doing taxes, but it's not like they give us any sort of free e-filing program or anything with the fee. Luckily I'm at least a CPA so I don't have to deal with the testing they want to implement in 2011.

hellboundburrito fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 1, 2010

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
To clarify, "but I don't have anything lined up" means I do not have anywhere I have to be. Once I quit I am going to travel for a few months and then move across the country, I could leave in literally 2 weeks or 4 months, it makes no difference to me. As for leverage, I don't care to flex any leverage. My ideal answer would be "alright that is fine, stay a couple weeks and finish the three engagments you are on, here is your final expense + paycheck, have a nice life!" but if it is "Look, it is really late to do this, we need you, here is X money and no Saturdays" then I don't really mind staying too much either. If it is "yea, we need you, we'll give you an insulting raise and 70 hours a week" I'm leaving treadmarks.

Not having another job lined up is a 0% factor for me, I have plenty of money saved and want to get out of where I live.

Also how do you feel about over the phone? On one hand, it seems really unprofessional, but I can't wait until the stars align and we are both magically in the office (never happens).

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 1, 2010

gmilo
Jun 27, 2006
wooo

Ribsauce posted:

To clarify, "but I don't have anything lined up" means I do not have anywhere I have to be. Once I quit I am going to travel for a few months and then move across the country, I could leave in literally 2 weeks or 4 months, it makes no difference to me. As for leverage, I don't care to flex any leverage. My ideal answer would be "alright that is fine, stay a couple weeks and finish the three engagments you are on, here is your final expense + paycheck, have a nice life!" but if it is "Look, it is really late to do this, we need you, here is X money and no Saturdays" then I don't really mind staying too much either. If it is "yea, we need you, we'll give you an insulting raise and 70 hours a week" I'm leaving treadmarks.

Not having another job lined up is a 0% factor for me, I have plenty of money saved and want to get out of where I live.

Also how do you feel about over the phone? On one hand, it seems really unprofessional, but I can't wait until the stars align and we are both magically in the office (never happens).

If you are never in the same office just do it over the phone. Also the sooner the better.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Rib,

Once you state your intention to leave, the partner should let you go rather than bargain with you. Face it, you're replaceable (but everyone at any firm your size is), and a person who has expressed a desire to leave is just someone who won't be a good team member.

My personal opinion is that once you hit this stage, get the gently caress out. I don't know how your busy season is structured, but it might not hurt your resume to leave at this stage, given the size of the firm. Were you working in a small firm, doing tax, then it is borderline too late to leave -- but only if you want to keep your public accounting options open.

Your resignation should be in writing, but if you won't see your partner, I can't imagine it would hurt to call him about the letter you left on his desk.

hellboundburrito posted:

Unrelated side note: Any tax preparers in this thread? I do taxes on the side during busy season (horrible idea in terms of work-life balance), and just got the IRS pamphlet in the mail saying tax preparers now need to be over $60 a year which seems like such a ripoff. I realize tax preparers make money doing taxes, but it's not like they give us any sort of free e-filing program or anything with the fee. Luckily I'm at least a CPA so I don't have to deal with the testing they want to implement in 2011.

For many years, the IRS really didn't give a gently caress about unethical preparers. Sure, every once in a while they would go into crackdown mode, but they really didn't care unless the dollar amount was huge. Whistle-blowers were ignored even if the frauds were in the six figures per annum. In the last couple of years, the IRS seems to have taken a dim view of paid preparers and taxpayer representatives as a whole, taking the stance that taxpayers should be able to deal with the IRS by themselves. I don't know exactly what the split is between delusion and self-interest, and I don't care to know. Nevertheless, the IRS feels it necessary to regulate the industry.

Let's face it, the tax preparation field is a combination of tax professionals and fraudsters. The $64.25 fee is the first step toward federal regulation of the industry. To me (a CPA, for full disclosure), I find the registration system and the idea of federal regulation to be fine, and if this prevents states from enacting their own regulations, it's a net good. (Then again, in full disclosure, I usually deal with about 15 different states per tax season) On the other hand, the way that registration has been handled so far has been an unmitigated disaster.

If everything works as planned, it will be harder for a taxpayer to find an unscrupulous tax preparer to sign off on a work of fiction. Hopefully, it creates a perception that tax preparers know the tax code, but won't help you commit fraud, so that I am less bothered by these people.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Missing Donut posted:

Rib,

Once you state your intention to leave, the partner should let you go rather than bargain with you. Face it, you're replaceable (but everyone at any firm your size is), and a person who has expressed a desire to leave is just someone who won't be a good team member.

My personal opinion is that once you hit this stage, get the gently caress out. I don't know how your busy season is structured, but it might not hurt your resume to leave at this stage, given the size of the firm. Were you working in a small firm, doing tax, then it is borderline too late to leave -- but only if you want to keep your public accounting options open.

Your resignation should be in writing, but if you won't see your partner, I can't imagine it would hurt to call him about the letter you left on his desk.

For many years, the IRS really didn't give a gently caress about unethical preparers. Sure, every once in a while they would go into crackdown mode, but they really didn't care unless the dollar amount was huge. Whistle-blowers were ignored even if the frauds were in the six figures per annum. In the last couple of years, the IRS seems to have taken a dim view of paid preparers and taxpayer representatives as a whole, taking the stance that taxpayers should be able to deal with the IRS by themselves. I don't know exactly what the split is between delusion and self-interest, and I don't care to know. Nevertheless, the IRS feels it necessary to regulate the industry.

Let's face it, the tax preparation field is a combination of tax professionals and fraudsters. The $64.25 fee is the first step toward federal regulation of the industry. To me (a CPA, for full disclosure), I find the registration system and the idea of federal regulation to be fine, and if this prevents states from enacting their own regulations, it's a net good. (Then again, in full disclosure, I usually deal with about 15 different states per tax season) On the other hand, the way that registration has been handled so far has been an unmitigated disaster.

If everything works as planned, it will be harder for a taxpayer to find an unscrupulous tax preparer to sign off on a work of fiction. Hopefully, it creates a perception that tax preparers know the tax code, but won't help you commit fraud, so that I am less bothered by these people.

IIRC, there was an article about how the IRS has 24 databases to track PTINs and none of them tie together. They audited a bunch of the PTINs, and found the majority of tax preparers were using multiple PTINs to dodge computer tracking.

The IRS is doing a good thing getting this done, however, making preparers will not increase the ethical preparation of tax returns. As a CPA, I need to attend a 4 hour ethics class every two years, but I don't leave there feeling like I'm a better tax preparer.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

AbbiTheDog posted:

IIRC, there was an article about how the IRS has 24 databases to track PTINs and none of them tie together. They audited a bunch of the PTINs, and found the majority of tax preparers were using multiple PTINs to dodge computer tracking.

The IRS is doing a good thing getting this done, however, making preparers will not increase the ethical preparation of tax returns. As a CPA, I need to attend a 4 hour ethics class every two years, but I don't leave there feeling like I'm a better tax preparer.

I would have never thought about getting a second PTIN just to foil computer tracking. Then again, I would have thought that they did social security number linking on the old PTIN system...

Ethics courses for CPAs are different than what the IRS is talking about. To the Service, ethics begins and ends with Circular 230. For CPAs, we have to deal with other issues such as independence. Also, the cynical side of me just assumes that 'ethics' is just a corporate bureaucracy buzzword, a bit of management-speak with no connection to the real world. It is supposed to sound good and fits with the stated intent of the registration program.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Ethics courses are stupid, you either are an ethical person or you are not.
edit
forget it for now

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 2, 2010

Pennant
Aug 24, 2007

~~~~~ everybody move your feet and feel united oooh ooh ooh ~~~~~
This Friday I have a competency based interview for an ACA Audit Trainee Position with a UK company. I feel I am reasonably prepared for a number of questions I am expecting, but If I get a question I am not expecting I definitely don't want to sound like a dolt, what questions do you guys think I should be prepared for?

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Missing Donut posted:

I would have never thought about getting a second PTIN just to foil computer tracking. Then again, I would have thought that they did social security number linking on the old PTIN system...

Ethics courses for CPAs are different than what the IRS is talking about. To the Service, ethics begins and ends with Circular 230. For CPAs, we have to deal with other issues such as independence. Also, the cynical side of me just assumes that 'ethics' is just a corporate bureaucracy buzzword, a bit of management-speak with no connection to the real world. It is supposed to sound good and fits with the stated intent of the registration program.

Come on, don't tell me you don't read accounting today.

http://www.accountingtoday.com/news/IRS-Trouble-Tracking-Paid-Tax-Preparers-51089-1.html

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

AbbiTheDog posted:

Come on, don't tell me you don't read accounting today.

http://www.accountingtoday.com/news/IRS-Trouble-Tracking-Paid-Tax-Preparers-51089-1.html

I read Accounting Today, I just have forgotten Accounting 500 Days Ago :)

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Ribsauce posted:

All fair points - I wasn't trying to imply you want to use leverage, I guess I just meant that the leverage might naturally exist even if you don't choose to take advantage of it. In my opinion, I suppose that the phone works if it's the only way you'll get a hold of the partner. Is the partner the only person you can have this conversation with? I'm assuming you work at a smaller firm than me, but I know if I were to give my notice I'd bring it up to my coach/manager who I see more often than my main partner.

quote:

I'm not advocating against some sort of regulation - I *do* think an element of regulation is a good idea. I guess I'm just sort of displeased about the sudden fee as it relates to the small time (and for arguments sake, we'll direct this towards honorable, tax-code abiding preparers) preparers who do know the tax code but don't do a whole lot of returns during tax season because it's side work for them. I also think regulation and perhaps the element of testing they plan to implement are more effective deterrents for a preparer to sign off on a fraudulent return than the fee itself. That being said, I'm going to pay the fee regardless so I can do taxes in the little spare time I have during busy season, but I guess I wish there was an added benefit of efficient and cost effective filing that was included with the fee for those of us who choose to go through the proper channels and accept the regulation of the field.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

hellboundburrito posted:

I'm not advocating against some sort of regulation - I *do* think an element of regulation is a good idea. I guess I'm just sort of displeased about the sudden fee as it relates to the small time (and for arguments sake, we'll direct this towards honorable, tax-code abiding preparers) preparers who do know the tax code but don't do a whole lot of returns during tax season because it's side work for them. I also think regulation and perhaps the element of testing they plan to implement are more effective deterrents for a preparer to sign off on a fraudulent return than the fee itself. That being said, I'm going to pay the fee regardless so I can do taxes in the little spare time I have during busy season, but I guess I wish there was an added benefit of efficient and cost effective filing that was included with the fee for those of us who choose to go through the proper channels and accept the regulation of the field.

Unless you do fewer than 10 or 15 tax returns, I think the fee isn't unreasonable. (If you do fewer than that, why even bother?) As AbbiTheDog posted, the old status quo was insufficient to even track the tax preparer community, let alone regulate it. Getting everyone to one database, even if it requires a small user fee, is a necessary first step toward the goal -- what good is it to impose regulations on preparers if the IRS doesn't know who to enforce against?

If you have a problem with the fee, increase your preparation rates, explaining that the IRS regulation of preparers is costing you money, forcing you to raise rates. The IRS is an unsurprisingly effective bogeyman during tax season for some strange reason...

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Missing Donut posted:

I read Accounting Today, I just have forgotten Accounting 500 Days Ago :)

Mind like a steel trap, baby.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The end result of the PTIN program is that the preparers who suck will take peoples' money and have them sign the return as self-prepared. Realistically, any liability is on the taxpayer as it is so this won't even be a huge step for them. Reputable firms will just increase their fees to account for their increased costs.

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Missing Donut posted:

Unless you do fewer than 10 or 15 tax returns, I think the fee isn't unreasonable. (If you do fewer than that, why even bother?) As AbbiTheDog posted, the old status quo was insufficient to even track the tax preparer community, let alone regulate it. Getting everyone to one database, even if it requires a small user fee, is a necessary first step toward the goal -- what good is it to impose regulations on preparers if the IRS doesn't know who to enforce against?

If you have a problem with the fee, increase your preparation rates, explaining that the IRS regulation of preparers is costing you money, forcing you to raise rates. The IRS is an unsurprisingly effective bogeyman during tax season for some strange reason...

As I said, my issue isn't with regulation - I think regulation is a good idea, but I don't think the fee is going to be the most effective element of regulation if it's even effective at all. The fee itself won't deter people who wish to fraudulently prepare returns, but true regulation in the form of registration, the testing and so on will. Don't take my comments as being anti-IRS and anti-regulation, I understand it is their job to make sure returns are properly prepared and taxes are paid. And as I also said, if the fee included some sort of efficient way of e-filing for free, I would definitely support it. Even if I weren't a CPA and was subject to the testing in 2011, I'd have no problem with that either.

Last year I only did five returns because I was swamped, but this year I plan on doing about 10-15. I "bother" because it is still extra income. The fee most definitely isn't the end of the world and won't stop most honorable preparers from registering (including myself), and I'm not as upset about it is maybe I came off as being. I guess I just feel for the small time preparers who do know the tax code, don't commit fraud and only prepare a small number of returns.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Cyrezar posted:

The end result of the PTIN program is that the preparers who suck will take peoples' money and have them sign the return as self-prepared. Realistically, any liability is on the taxpayer as it is so this won't even be a huge step for them. Reputable firms will just increase their fees to account for their increased costs.

You are probably correct that there will be a black market of preparers who file as self-prepared. However, it already happens now. I believe that the IRS has already stated it will be doing some publicity about registered preparers, which should help. Hell, there are already a lot of people who won't claim child care tax credits because they 'agreed' not to in exchange for a lower fee -- what does it say about the integrity of a person who they trust their kids with!

With any luck, in the end, the IRS will find that more problems come from the self-prepared category, focus some of their energy on that area, and that will help catch some of these issues.

hellboundburrito posted:

As I said, my issue isn't with regulation - I think regulation is a good idea, but I don't think the fee is going to be the most effective element of regulation if it's even effective at all. The fee itself won't deter people who wish to fraudulently prepare returns, but true regulation in the form of registration, the testing and so on will. Don't take my comments as being anti-IRS and anti-regulation, I understand it is their job to make sure returns are properly prepared and taxes are paid. And as I also said, if the fee included some sort of efficient way of e-filing for free, I would definitely support it. Even if I weren't a CPA and was subject to the testing in 2011, I'd have no problem with that either.

Last year I only did five returns because I was swamped, but this year I plan on doing about 10-15. I "bother" because it is still extra income. The fee most definitely isn't the end of the world and won't stop most honorable preparers from registering (including myself), and I'm not as upset about it is maybe I came off as being. I guess I just feel for the small time preparers who do know the tax code, don't commit fraud and only prepare a small number of returns.

The fee is not regulation. The fee is not supposed to put anybody out of business, even the fraudsters. It is one part of a much larger picture, and it is the cost of administering the program and doing basic tax compliance checks on tax preparers. And while I do sympathize with small time preparers who are competent, this small of a fee should not be a tipping point. What should be their tipping point is realizing how much they are earning per hour. You have to count the amount of time that it takes to stay current with tax law, and preparing few returns doesn't allow for the efficiencies of a full time preparer. Plus, in 2012, the e-file requirement drops to preparers with 11 or more returns. Honestly, you need to set your goals higher and get the side business be 30, 40, or 50 returns in the next few years or else you'll be killing yourself for peanuts.

Chlorine
Aug 27, 2004

Wow, look at that!
UFE results came out for Canadian CAs to be. All 5 of our students passed so they'll be getting a free lunch out of us and a party tonight. How did CA goons do today?

Viriatha
Feb 5, 2010
I've read the entire thread and given the OP's original question the focus for accounting seems to be on having it as your main career and working for yourself or a firm of some sort. I have a related question. What are your options if you want to do this part time?

I want to be an artist but I don't want to suffer "Starving Artist Syndrome". Having a part time job would allow me to support my art habit but still leave me time and energy to work on that art where a full time job probably would not, given the hours I've seen quoted here. I enjoy number games and do math for fun.

Would going to college and learning this skill be of any use to me? Are there even any part time positions available anywhere?

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Viriatha posted:

I've read the entire thread and given the OP's original question the focus for accounting seems to be on having it as your main career and working for yourself or a firm of some sort. I have a related question. What are your options if you want to do this part time?

I want to be an artist but I don't want to suffer "Starving Artist Syndrome". Having a part time job would allow me to support my art habit but still leave me time and energy to work on that art where a full time job probably would not, given the hours I've seen quoted here. I enjoy number games and do math for fun.

Would going to college and learning this skill be of any use to me? Are there even any part time positions available anywhere?

There's always demand for "part time tax season temps," but these tend to be people that are already experienced in doing this. Not sure anyone would want to bother training you for this to be honest.

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Viriatha posted:

I'd say your options are limited, but you do have options. On the tax side, you could do temp work somewhere during tax season or work for a tax franchise such as H&R Block. You could also look at accounting staffing firms such as Accountemps and see if there is a position available where you're not working full time. Various companies also might have positions available where there is less than full time need, particularly in the bookkeeping area, although in general I'd say this is rare. Also, some firms might be interested in hiring you on a reduced schedule basis although this too would be rare.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Hey y'all, I'm not sure if this belongs in the accounting thread, but it is Big 4-related.

I just interviewed for a transfer pricing spot at PwC, and while the work seems interesting enough, my long-term goal is to work in economic development (USAID or a contractor). I interned at a development consultant this past summer (and loved it), and I noticed that PwC was a competitor for certain projects, particularly in the economic impact analysis of public policy programs. Are you guys aware of a particular department that this type of work would fall under, and the likelihood of getting to work there?

Viriatha
Feb 5, 2010

hellboundburrito posted:

I'd say your options are limited, but you do have options. On the tax side, you could do temp work somewhere during tax season or work for a tax franchise such as H&R Block. You could also look at accounting staffing firms such as Accountemps and see if there is a position available where you're not working full time. Various companies also might have positions available where there is less than full time need, particularly in the bookkeeping area, although in general I'd say this is rare. Also, some firms might be interested in hiring you on a reduced schedule basis although this too would be rare.

That makes it worth taking the time to track down a career counselor at the school and asking about the subject. Thanks, appreciate the information.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Desertfox621 posted:

I worked as a general intern, A/R clerk, A/P clerk, and then accountant, all in the same company. I moved up to accountant when I graduated, and will probably move up when I pass the CPA exam. IMO, clerk experience CAN be helpful. However, it's not really accounting. It's more data entry, posting, reconciliation, etc. Anyone can do it with just a weeks worth of instruction. The clerking may or may not provide the 1 yr experience. It usually has to be under the direct supervision of a CPA. Your state reqs will vary.

In my (limited) experience, clerking won't help get you an accounting job. It's just not the same. Honestly, the only useful info I gleaned from my stint as a clerk was understanding how the job worked. But you'll get that as a full accountant anyway. Clerks also (usually) pay a lot less! This is the only company I've ever worked for, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I have some questions regarding trying to get into accounting as a career choice. I haven't had success finding anything with my current degrees (Econ/Poli Sci) and am thinking about a MAcc starting hopefully next fall. Would accounting firms be interested in taking on a part-time intern to gain experience before one commits to such a program?

I'm trying to gain at least 2-3 months of experience working in an accounting firm doing pretty much bitch work, and am wondering if they already have accounting grads do this or if I actually have a shot at doing this. If so, do I need any other qualifications before I begin this (x classes of accounting, etc)?

gmilo
Jun 27, 2006
wooo

Audax posted:

I have some questions regarding trying to get into accounting as a career choice. I haven't had success finding anything with my current degrees (Econ/Poli Sci) and am thinking about a MAcc starting hopefully next fall. Would accounting firms be interested in taking on a part-time intern to gain experience before one commits to such a program?

I'm trying to gain at least 2-3 months of experience working in an accounting firm doing pretty much bitch work, and am wondering if they already have accounting grads do this or if I actually have a shot at doing this. If so, do I need any other qualifications before I begin this (x classes of accounting, etc)?

It would probably be easier to get hired as an intern if you are currently working to obtain your masters instead of saying you just want to try it out. Accounting masters programs are short so it isn't a gigantic commitment. You likely don't need any specific qualifications.

That said it is possible to get hired if you tell them you plan on obtaining it but want full time work right now instead and want to pursue it shortly after.

Brother Michael
Jul 4, 2005
++Pirate Captain++
hey all, it's been awhile since I posted in this thread. I started my own business over the summer and had to take a break from my accounting program this past fall. I am now starting back up this quarter.

I want to find an internship this year. Last year, I tried (with no luck) to get something at a small company (1 solo CPA to maybe a 10-15 person office). Most of the small firms said that they had interns already, and just about any "firm" that had 1-3 CPA's at it working for themselves said they couldn't take an intern (even a free one!)

So, this year I want to try bigger. Is it too late to apply for a Big 4 Internship for this upcoming year? I was told by a smaller office last year, to give them a shot because they interview and extend offers to a lot of people, and will always have people turn down an offer at one firm for an offer at another firm. Plus, while everyone says working full time for a Big 4 company is awful, it seems like everyone loves to intern there.

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Brother Michael posted:

hey all, it's been awhile since I posted in this thread. I started my own business over the summer and had to take a break from my accounting program this past fall. I am now starting back up this quarter.

I want to find an internship this year. Last year, I tried (with no luck) to get something at a small company (1 solo CPA to maybe a 10-15 person office). Most of the small firms said that they had interns already, and just about any "firm" that had 1-3 CPA's at it working for themselves said they couldn't take an intern (even a free one!)

So, this year I want to try bigger. Is it too late to apply for a Big 4 Internship for this upcoming year? I was told by a smaller office last year, to give them a shot because they interview and extend offers to a lot of people, and will always have people turn down an offer at one firm for an offer at another firm. Plus, while everyone says working full time for a Big 4 company is awful, it seems like everyone loves to intern there.

The Big 4 firm I work for has finished recruiting for the coming winter and summer internships, but you could try for a year from now or the following summer. Recruiting at Big 4 firms for internships seems to be pretty similar so I would assume the other three firms are in the same boat.

Intern life at a Big 4 is pretty sweet, at least in my experience and the experiences of my friends. I wouldn't necessarily generalize that "everyone says working full time for a Big 4 company is awful," because your mileage may vary. It definitely has its rough patches during the year, but overall I enjoy it and the summer is pretty good. I do work in a small group though, so I may have it easier than the average employee at a Big 4. You also have to consider all the people who stay for years and years - it isn't for everyone, but it IS for some people so in that sense, it can't be miserable for everyone who works there.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Can you help get me from where I am in life to at least a starting point in the industry?

I'm one of those guys you see at work who took forever to get anywhere and is 35 with a 25 year old boss. I'm not quite that old, I'm 26, but I have left/returned to school a few times, and I haven't been successful outside of college.

At 26, I am essentially in the second semester of my sophomore year. About six classes and I can get my associates (in Liberal Arts, how useful!) and transfer to a four year school and enter its accounting/finance program. I've taken some accounting and economics courses, and I'm not turned off by it yet!

I'm several years behind where I should be, is there any way to catch up a bit? I work full time, and though it doesn't interfere with class schedule, it's hardly relevant work experience (security)
Quitting my job is not an option, but should I seek something relevant? Apply to work as a bank teller? Accounting clerk and similar jobs seem to have too high requirements. Maybe sign up at temp agencies and start with data entry?

As far as school goes, I'm not used to the four year experience. How tough is it to find great internships? It seems like half the people here work for the big 4. I have no idea if they recruit from Salem State.

I'm getting kind of impatient and discouraged, so I'd like to at least look at the next few steps I need to take.

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Moneyball posted:

Can you help get me from where I am in life to at least a starting point in the industry?

I'm one of those guys you see at work who took forever to get anywhere and is 35 with a 25 year old boss. I'm not quite that old, I'm 26, but I have left/returned to school a few times, and I haven't been successful outside of college.

At 26, I am essentially in the second semester of my sophomore year. About six classes and I can get my associates (in Liberal Arts, how useful!) and transfer to a four year school and enter its accounting/finance program. I've taken some accounting and economics courses, and I'm not turned off by it yet!

I'm several years behind where I should be, is there any way to catch up a bit? I work full time, and though it doesn't interfere with class schedule, it's hardly relevant work experience (security)
Quitting my job is not an option, but should I seek something relevant? Apply to work as a bank teller? Accounting clerk and similar jobs seem to have too high requirements. Maybe sign up at temp agencies and start with data entry?

As far as school goes, I'm not used to the four year experience. How tough is it to find great internships? It seems like half the people here work for the big 4. I have no idea if they recruit from Salem State.

I'm getting kind of impatient and discouraged, so I'd like to at least look at the next few steps I need to take.

In terms of staying with your current job versus a relevant job, I personally don't think it matters unless the job you try to get is in accounting. If the most similar job you could get is being a bank teller versus your current job in security, it won't help much at all. If you finish school with an accounting degree, you'll have a great shot at getting a job with an accounting firm - however, you should be looking at the CPA track. Most firms, particularly the Big 4, care about some degree in accounting and the CPA track - i.e. someone who has an accounting degree (bachelors or masters), and is planning on taking the exam or has already taken some or passed.

If you're talking about Salem State in MA, I know people who work for my (Big 4) firm that went to school there. I couldn't tell you whether or not they recruit there, but it's definitely possible to get in.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

hellboundburrito posted:

If you're talking about Salem State in MA, I know people who work for my (Big 4) firm that went to school there. I couldn't tell you whether or not they recruit there, but it's definitely possible to get in.

Odds are, they do recruit there. People are more likely to start their careers at a big 4 firm as opposed to joining later in their careers, so it's likely that a school well-represented in the firm would be recruiting at that school.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Yeah, Salem State College University. I was thinking of majoring in accounting and finance and taking either economics or math as a minor. I'm actually not great at math and like economics, but I'll minor in whatever looks better on my resume. Thoughts?

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
I have an interview scheduled with a firm in two weeks regarding a possible position for the fall (hurray!). While studying the firm's website, I noticed that it mentions how employees generally stick to a single area of specialization (such as healthcare, construction, pension plans, governmental, etc) rather than a broader approach where employees work in multiple industries/fields.

The idea of specialization is interesting, but do firms generally expect you to know which industry you want to specialize in straight out of college? Or will they typically let you sample various industries before expecting a decision?

Just wondering since there are several industries handled by the firm that interest me and it would be tough to choose one without actually experiencing them first.

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Carlton Banks posted:

I have an interview scheduled with a firm in two weeks regarding a possible position for the fall (hurray!). While studying the firm's website, I noticed that it mentions how employees generally stick to a single area of specialization (such as healthcare, construction, pension plans, governmental, etc) rather than a broader approach where employees work in multiple industries/fields.

The idea of specialization is interesting, but do firms generally expect you to know which industry you want to specialize in straight out of college? Or will they typically let you sample various industries before expecting a decision?

Just wondering since there are several industries handled by the firm that interest me and it would be tough to choose one without actually experiencing them first.

Placement strategy may vary by firm, but at my firm it's more or less based on resource need and random placement. If you are interested in a particular area you can ask your recruiter about it and they'll usually try their best to make it happen. I requested a particular group at my firm and was placed there, but the cool thing about my group is that it has clients from all different industries - some financial services companies, some retail, some service organizations, etc.

Once you are placed in a group, you may find that you like or dislike it. After a while I'm sure you can request a transfer to another group if you want to try something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.
I am on of those people too!

I have a double degree in English and Engineering and a Masters in Literature.

Right now I am working for Caseware who makes accounting software as a technical writer. I have become really interested in accounting through the job as I write for their main product, which is used by the big 4.

The Ontario CA requirement state that internships do not count towards the experience requirements, so am I at the same level as a new graduate? How can I start on the path of accountancy with a non-accountancy education?

How much could I parlay my Caseware experience to a new job with a CA training firm?

Thanks!