Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaymm
Dec 30, 2006
how is everyone enjoying busy season? I am sacrificing sleep currently so I can have some small amount of time to myself before I need to pack up and live in a hotel for the rest of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaymm
Dec 30, 2006
Depending on your undergrad degree and where you would be getting certified, you might not have the requirement to sit for the CPA exam if you just got your masters in accounting. You would need additional classes in business.

jaymm
Dec 30, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

Thank you for this thread. I have one question thought: How important are spreadsheets in modern accounting?

When I did my internship in auditing, I spent upwards of 12 hours a day, every single day, using spreadsheets. Sometimes they were so large that the computer froze and excel crashed, costing me all of my work for the day because it took 45 minutes to save so I obviously hadn't done so.

jaymm
Dec 30, 2006
Anyone have any advice for a Big 4 exp associate considering leaving?

I have done the normal part and spoken to a few recruiters to get a feel for what's out there but I'd prefer to hear from people who don't make 5% of my base for a successful placement.

I am in the hedge fund/PE fund group at the firm and going into my 3rd year. I have my CPA exams passed but due to CT requirements, I will need to wait until September until I am certified.

My career goals would be to break into finance but as everyone else is also trying to do the same thing, I am thinking that going the fund accounting route with some exposure to front office will likely be the best decision I would be able to make.

jaymm
Dec 30, 2006
Career Advice (!) Alert

So i've been doing the big 4 public accounting thing for the past two years and am on my third busy season. I am getting a serious case of grass is greener syndrome so I am wondering what the next step should be. I am trying to go through the internal channels to transfer to an advisory group for a change of pace, but, even if this happens, it will only be a tour for a month or so over the summer. My options are the standard for someone in my capacity where I can go to another Big 4 for a pay raise, use a recruiter and get a senior accounting role, or stick it out until manager and "write my own ticket" as all of the partners claim. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me and things to look out for. I am within the alternatives practice so I have a lot of fund experience and those fund accounting roles pay quite well with significantly better hours.

jaymm
Dec 30, 2006
Anyone else in the lovely world of fund accounting? I spent 3 years at a big 4 before leaving for a hedge fund in New York.

jaymm
Dec 30, 2006

Harry posted:

Based on my experience with fund accountants in New York, I would practice ignoring all attachments and asking whatever question feel is most important. Then complain it's not current when you respond a month later. This appears to be a critical skill.

One month response time is generous.

abagofcheetos posted:

Tell me everything.

What would you like to know?

I work pretty long hours at my fund just due to the nature. I am the lowest guy on the totem pole so most of my work is the mundane needs to get done type. It's definitely 100% different than being in public. My day to day involves a lot of treasury work. My projects include finding ways to make us more efficient, regulatory work, and the like. Month end is always a lot of work due to our quick nav strike.

jaymm
Dec 30, 2006
To be honest, don't leave yet. I stayed until senior and it was 100% worth it. However, if you truly can't take it, then it may be time to look and there is definitely opportunity out there. Just be prepared to answer the question to why you want to leave so early (I hope your reviews are decent and you can just say that you want to be involved with a fund and doing the day to day because it's more value add).

Everything else is entirely fund specific. I work a ton but that's just my fund, my friends are out by 6 every day. In entirely my opinion, I would recommend against internal audit. The work will be similar to what you're currently doing now, just for a different company (the fund). As a caveat, I don't interact much with our internal audit since they work for the parent company and not my fund itself.

Fund accounting itself is fairly dull but definitely more interesting that you would normally find at say a global company. For example, I sit on the trading floor so just being able to hear their conversations and opinions on things is incredibly interesting. If you want more information about it, please feel free to pm me. If you are based in NYC, there is plenty of opportunity out there and I have a couple recruiters I could recommend.

jaymm
Dec 30, 2006

scribe jones posted:

you'll be back. they always come back.

(congrats!)

This is true. I left an assistant controller role to return as an audit senior a few months ago. After just getting home at 11 on a Friday after working, I, reconsidering my choice.

jaymm
Dec 30, 2006
Also when I was in industry and had to actually try to maintain cpe, all the big firms and even most regional firms offer free cpe webcasts. You login and just have to answer polling questions throughout the session to show you're actually listening. You won't get much in terms of ethics cpe so you'll need to go to aicpa sites and the like and may need to pay for them.

jaymm
Dec 30, 2006

Covok posted:

I think I keep "stumbling" on the salary expectation question. What I do is I ask for a range that is a reasonable increase from my previous salary. I don't really want to take a paycut because it'd be selling myself short. I was a good worker, had a good grades, have good experience in the field, ran my own business for a time, and the such. What is a reasonable expectation for your salary post-Big 4? I go for one that is a range that basically goes from a 1% to 3% from my previous base salary, usually with a mention that I'm my flexible.

For the record, I made what was average for a person with my qualifications at the company: 69K/year before benefits and other compensation. I work and seek work in an area that has a high cost of living.

Due to a lack of work available in my department, I was let go by my company after only 1 year. I've only "officially" been out of work since the end of July.

When I left Big 4, I got a 16% salary bump. This was about standard from what I heard anecdotally. As you were let go, this is a bit trickier but the minimum increase I'd ask for is 10%. It's well known industry (assuming that's what you're going for) pays at least that much more than Big 4.

jaymm
Dec 30, 2006

Covok posted:

Depends. Since I live near a large metropolitan area, a lot of them do Post salaries and I can search by them, but a lot also don't and say nothing on the matter and then you have to argue with them and then they act surprised when you thought you were worth more and act offended if you decide to go with another offer. I guess they just thought that they controlled you or something. And not that the Labour Market is a market where the employees the product and the employer is the buyer and therefore the employee actually has a say in their selling price. A simple economic concept that's lost due to narcissism and a desire to feel as if you can own another.

I will say, while salaries are not posted, big 4 salaries are pretty widely known within the respective industries in a given city center so offers will take that into account. I left two months after hitting senior and my offer was lower because my new company knew that I just got promoted and thus knew I was only making my higher salary for a month.

For reference, I was in the alternatives group in NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaymm
Dec 30, 2006
I will say CT is a bit challenging. I am based out of the Stamford office of my firm and live in CT so I always am interested in local opportunities but the recruiters I work with don't have much. You say big 4 experience but don't elaborate too much.. have you jumped around a lot since leaving? Also does it appear there are performance issues from your moves? These are things where a company may just pass on appearance alone without caring too much because there are always more candidates.