Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alfaholic
Mar 1, 2007
Another Canadian chiming in here, hopefully I can give anyone considering a career in accounting some insight.

I'm currently doing an 8-month internship at a Big 4 while I complete my undergrad in Acccounting, and then I'll go on to write my CA exam (CPA for Americans).

As a junior in audit, I can say that the work is definitely not glamorous, and in busy season the hours are quite long (I'm schedule for 50-55 hour weeks in January). But within a couple of years once you move up the ranks and gain more experience, you'll become quite a knowledgable and valuable asset not only to the firm, but to the firm's clients. Every month or so we receive emails from a bunch of employees who are leaving to go work in both the public and private industry for different corporations. Having a CA (CPA) designation won't limit you to audit work for the rest of your life - consulting and advisory services are things that you can move on to later on.

Obviously accounting won't be for everyone, but if you like business, or at least business on the corporate side of things, then getting your CPA/CA designation is a great way to open doors. Four or five years at a big firm is worth it once you start networking and realize the career opportunities that await in other industries!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU