Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

js86 posted:

Leaning towards Gleim. I liked what they had on the CPA and I don't see a reason to change. Their product for the CMA looks good too.

Are you getting the whole system? Best price I've found so far is $503 through a local IMA chapter. (IMA Inland Empire)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

js86 posted:

I think so. I'd like to have as much available as possible and pass each exam the first time I take it.

Have you met any CPA + CMA folks? I get the impression that the CPA is still by far the best career-maker, while the CMA is mostly done by people who are in some industry. And a lot of guys from India.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
You could apply for tax internships at local firms now.

e: is it me or is Quickbooks 2014's major selling point is that the sidebar is now blue instead of gray?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Is anything stopping you from being licensed as a CPA in Colorado, which IIRC requires no work experience?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Good Citizen posted:

On campus interviews are next week and I've got interviews lined up with both EY and KPMG. No call back from Deloitte or PwC sadly. I'm so stressed out about it at the moment because I was really hoping to get my foot in the door at all 4. I talked to other people in my grad program and most of them didn't get interview offers from any of them or only got one. It seems the interview slots were really limited this year. Only one guy I know got all 4. Thankfully I'm pretty good at interviewing but I seriously just can not wait for it to be over.

Wish me luck.

In the end, you only need one to say yes. gently caress the rest. Good luck dude.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Seems like you can get a master from like South Dakota State for $12k though.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
More interviewers is a sign of serious interest (or they have no projects and the firm is a sinking ship)

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Bugamol posted:

I've begun studying for my CMA. I chose exam matrix as they received good reviews online and it seems like a solid product. If there's any interest I can report back with my thoughts on the review course, the exam, and other parts of the process.

So far I've joined the IMA, sent in official transcripts, and purchased the review course. After my transcripts are approved I will be paying the exam registration fee. Once I get a feel for where I stand after working on the review course I will schedule my exams accordingly.

I'm very interested in your experience--I joined the IMA recently as well, and am debating whether to do the CPA or CMA first as I work full-time in an unrelated management job. It will be nice to see some end product to several years of part-time accounting courses.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Audax posted:

Kieso's Intermediate book was what I learned on. See if you can find a cheaper version. The writers are real nerds - Star Trek references aplenty.

Ya, I used this too for Intermediate Accounting A/B/C. It's not exactly sunday reading, so some textbook entitled "introduction to financial accounting" might be more his level.

Of course, it will have nothing to do with bookkeeping--you will need a separate book for that. Maybe even a Dummies book.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Democratic Pirate posted:

Sent in the packet of requirements to apply for the CPA Exam today. Here's to studying my life away for the next 4-5 months.

That's a pretty aggressive timeline. Good luck.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Democratic Pirate posted:

Thanks. This last semester of my accounting program is centered around passing the exam, so I only have two very simple classes to worry about and plenty of time to study each day. Plus the Big 4 comped the Becker course so I have all their study materials to go off of.

Goodness, I'm envious of your abundance of time, resources, and opportunity. Go get em tiger.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
How's the tablet/mobile integration with Becker? I'm currently debating CPAexcel vs Roger, and a big advantage with the former seems to be that you can take your flashcards on the go with an iPad/iPhone. Roger only does his lectures mobile, nothing else. The idea of dealing with physical flash cards is a big turn-off to me.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Sounds like your situation fits the CMA designation very well. They claim to be growing in popularity, and the exam sure is easier than the CPA one. (Not to mention way more applicable to your work)

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
This FUTA Credit Reduction State thing is bullshit. I have to pay additional FUTA tax in 2014 retroactive to Jan 1 2013 because the state couldn't pay its UI benefits? I never thought about budgeting for this..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FUTA_credit_reduction

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cyrezar posted:

What state?

California. It's fine, we can afford it, just ranting about something that seems completely out of our control and was unexpected.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

js86 posted:

Just got my results for CMA part 1 - passed with the minimum possible score. Taking part two in a little over two months and then I'm done with exams and school forever.

Congrats man! Are your Gleim materials transferable? I need to get started on studying nights/weekends on this.

fake edit: it really took this long to get your results from a Jan test date?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

js86 posted:

I can send you the recordings, but the book I use is text only, so I don't think it would do you any good.

It takes them 6 weeks after the month you take the exam for them to get the score back to you, so if you take it at the end of the month, they're quicker to get it back.

Erm, you don't want to sell your book? Fair enough. My email is

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 13, 2014

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

AbbiTheDog posted:

There's no crying in the office.

There's a reason my door locks.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Finance people seem to think tax people are nerds

I'm glad you're eating at the cool kids table now!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

SiGmA_X posted:

~45k? Are you a CPA?

I'm guessing his hours are pretty high.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
That's quite a claim--you think it's really that good?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Western Governors University is now offering a MS in Accounting that's online and pretty cheap ($6k/yr). But they are requiring a BS in Accounting in order to start :eng99:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
According to the IMA (the CMA organization), you have a 7/10 chance of being hired by the firm with whom you intern: http://imaleadership.wordpress.com/2014/07/11/summer-vacation-rest-relaxation-and-reaching-your-goals/

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

SarutosZero posted:

I submitted my application to be allowed to sit for the CPA today. I also submitted that once I complete the tests I want to be considered licensed because I meet all other requirements. When looking back over my college transcript its saying I only have 142 credits instead of the 150 I need in my state to be licensed. I was SUPER sure I had my 150. Does anyone know how boned my application is since I said I met all the requirements to both test and be licensed afterwards?

Isn't your state going to scrutinize your application/transcript to find this information and just kick it back? What are your options if you really only have 142 creds?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Doesn't your state have a long-rear end application handbook that details all of this stuff? I know California does.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Time to start networking. My local IMA chapter is seems like it's mostly made up of people with your background: controllers and managerial accountants at local businesses I've never heard of (and in unsexy industries to boot). The remainder is made up of some CPAs, students, and recruiters.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Texibus posted:

You just crazy, boo :)

Anyway, which materials did you recent CPA bros use? I'm seeing Rogers and Wiley pop up a lot. I like lots of test questions and audio stuff is perfect because I listen can at my desk while working.

Also, I'm loving terrified of trying to do this again with my older, much lazier brain

I'm in the same boat. Old (31), working FT, don't need a CPA, but want some letters behind the name. I'm thinking about Roger because apparently he makes lectures "entertaining."

As an aside, $1500 seems pretty reasonable for a prep course.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

CatfishClyde posted:

I am interested in a career in Accountancy. Specifically, I would like to eventually be a CPA. I have a squishy humanities Bachelors and a squishier humanities Masters. I'm 30 years old and stuck in a customer service job with little room for growth. I'd like to cultivate an actual marketable skill.

Have you taken any accounting courses? Why not start with financial/managerial or do the intermediate series at a local community college to see if you (1) like it and (2) have an aptitude for it.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Texibus posted:

Other than just cruising Indeed are there any good sites that throw out salary ranges for Internal Audit positions, specifically for credit unions? My credit union went through a merger and while the new place has to keep and maintain a certain salary level they threw a pretty poo poo offer my way, just looking for ammo.

Have you checked glassdoor.com?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Can you ask your supervisor's supervisor?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
That's weird that your state's board of accountancy is nonresponsive. Try to call instead of emailing or vice versa?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
At my community college, I took intermediate without taking the cost accounting. It was confusing but I'm the end I figured it out.

I had taken cost accounting like 6 years prior during my undergrad (JC courses were post Bachellrs) but didn't remember anything.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Orange Sunshine posted:

$126/month for the first 6 months, $180/month afterwards. This is very expensive for just payroll software.

The alternative is worse. DIY payroll sucks the energy and time out of any business owner. Spend that time constructively growing your business instead.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Can you do remote work like be a virtual cfo for small business, taxes for online clients, supervise poo poo, etc?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Look into the CMA designation to see if it's of interest. Less onerous than the cpa requirements.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Might be easier to get a CMA. Check your local chapter to see if they have monthly meetings you can join and network at.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Moneyball posted:

Can anyone recommend an accelerated online bachelors in accounting? I'm trying to help out a friend who has a lot of experience but never went to college. Now that she's back on the job hunt, she's getting nothing like she had before (accounting/HR manager for a small company)

Every "best online schools" list has a bunch of rando schools, and the only one I've heard of is Temple.

Western Governors U seemed good for a bachelors.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Don’t know your labor cost but might be cheaper to buy QB 17.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Sounds like your client doesn’t have a bookkeeper and thinks he is too busy to care. He could fire your firm and get another preparer that hand waves the estimates through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
A hospital...for ants?