Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Hellblazer187 posted:

Anyone wanna talk about accounting exit strategies? I'm thinking teaching English in China sounds nice, or possibly a life of crime.

I’m hiring a bookkeeper or accounting assistant for our small business. Hours are good but pay sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Test of Excel as a Foreign Language

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
How are you getting the PPP intralinks password for BofA apps?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

The Bird posted:

Hey Goons. Just a general accounting question.

Is it legal to report business liabilities (like payroll tax) as losses on your personal P&L?
I mean, I think I know the answer, that it is the definition of tax fraud and I vaguely remember my accountant joking about it years ago as being really stupid, but am I wrong?

I know that this isn't an "Ask an Accountant" thread, but don't want to make a post for such a small question.

If you’re an employer these deductions go on your business return.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Still sounds better than marketing.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I gave my accountant employee (I run a small business) a raise from $30/hr to a salary of $80k, but I told her that I'd need her to increase her hours from 35/wk to 40/wk. They started just over half a year ago. They accepted as long as they get to work from home on Fridays. I think everyone is happy?

They told me that they want an accounting clerk/assistant next year to help out, and I told them that I'm open to it, as well as hiring an external firm to help with bank recs and reporting on a monthly basis.

I'm so happy that I don't do our daily accounting anymore. I almost wish I didn't know accounting because I would have pawned this off to a dedicated employee or outsourced it way earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Zarin posted:

Yeah, he has a CPA he's going to be sending this all to. Just trying to make sure we have the high-level statements correct in preparation for that.

I had thought that COGS was called out separately from other expenses on the tax return but now that I'm looking at the screenshot I took of the example used it doesn't appear to be . . . although I only grabbed Part II and not Part III. And also the example was for a Sole Prop and the guy I'm doing stuff for is an S-Corp so I don't know how different it is. I was told "it's mostly the same" but technically so is a banana and a T-Rex.

Yeah, if it doesn't matter for tax time then that's a Future Me problem as I dig in to start setting up reporting and doing deeper analysis on what is driving revenue, expenses, which items are ahead or behind on margin, etc.

I took enough accounting to qualify to sit for the CPA exam but ended up running a small business instead. And doing the books along the way. My experience is that nobody really cares as long as you get these things vaguely correct. I’m in the process of handing off my bookkeeping to a CPA firm and the level of rigor applied to categorization is….not that high. At least for things like cleaning supplies.