Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I'd imagine that in the short term getting fired from the last CPA firm might hurt you more than not having a CPA.

I'm not sure I'd list the feds stint on my resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Every job I've gotten an offer from has, at some point during their due diligence, asked me for an employment history. I don't know if you could really leave that off of it...

My point is this, CPA will help you long term but in the short term you've got bigger red flags than not having a CPA.

True. But getting fired from a government job, after one month, looks awful.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

What does that even mean?

What he means is that by you being in compliance, you see everything in black and white with no gray. If a job application says "list your employment history" his comment implies you're going to list everything down to your high school gas pumping job as well as listing your grade school GPA.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Euphoriaphone posted:

I have my first day tomorrow as an audit intern (large local firm. Remnants of a Big 4 after they pulled out of the market). I've never had any kind of accounting or bookkeeping job before. I have no idea what to expect. First week is training (computer systems and methodology), and by the end of the week I'll have my first client assignment. I've heard I'll probably be auditing something like cash or fixed assets. How does that usually work?

You don't know what you're doing, you need to have your hand held the whole way, and you'll scratch your head a lot. Have fun.

Once it starts to click it will be a lot easier. Do yourself a huge favor and try to figure out the current year workpapers without just "doing what they did last year."

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

scribe jones posted:

You're hosed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsWCr8h2SKQ

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Dengraz posted:

Just a heads up, EY Portland office is very small. It's good you're reaching out directly because as of a few years ago they didn't even recruit at any of the Oregon colleges.

Look south to Lake Oswego. This is a regional firm that's growing like crazy and getting into all sorts of fields (pension, insurance, financial advisory, etc.).

http://www.aktcpa.com/

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

visuvius posted:

4) Will my age be a problem? Say I do switch over to an accounting career, will employers have a problem with a 34 or 35 year old first year accountant?

I just hired a junior staffer that was considerably older than the kids right out from college, but we really liked her work ethic and her past careers.

That being said, junior accountant pay scale sucks.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Esme posted:

Whoa, there was never a question of wearing professional clothes or not. Just how they'd be cut. I'm not quite that stupid.

Opinions on all this seem to be pretty mixed, but it's been seriously helpful for me to hear everyone's input, so thanks. A lot better to get it from anonymous internet strangers than from people I'm trying to impress. :v:

A lot of it isn't about the fact that you want to wear jeans (I let my staff do it on fridays and weekends) but a couple of issues:
1) Our older clients are much more conservative than the rest. Our wealthiest client gets upset if I'm not wearing a tie when he sees me, so when we know he's coming in, the entire office dresses with a little more class.
2) Trying to "express yourself" and throwing a fit over office attire screams out unnecessary drama to potential employers and co-workers. This job has enough drama as it is, nobody wants to work with any more than necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

black.lion posted:

My ultimate goal IS to hang my shingle, but I don't plan to do it right as I get my license - the business I want (individuals and small businesses) is exactly what my mentor does, so if all works out well, I'd work with/under her for a couple of years before even thinking about lancing out on my own.

You should consider more like ten years before you try to run your own firm. Just a note for you.