Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
You are but the grease for the wheels of his rule.
So, as someone who is getting a BA next year in something totally unrelated to accounting, with no experience in the field, should my next step be to apply for an accounting masters program?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
Is there a distinct hierarchy among masters accounting programs? Will employers still be willing to hire me if I get a degree from some random sketchy (but accredited) program?

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
As someone who is going to school in Southern California, is there any method to get the attention of a New York CPA firm? On-campus recruiting isn't exactly an option. Should I try peppering their websites with my resume and cover letter?

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
In a similar vein, I'm looking at dropping out of my MSA program after the spring semester to work full-time in accounting under a CPA (have the job offer already, I just need to decide whether I want to go for it). I'm in California, so I can easily take a couple of additional CC classes while I'm working to finish up the 24 accounting and 24 business credits to qualify for the CPA exam. After the educational requirements are out of the way, I can study for/take the CPA sections while finishing up my work experience. I've quadruple-checked the California CPA requirements, and it seems that this is a viable thing to do.

My main question is, should I do it? Factoring in tuition, rent, and the opportunity cost from not working, staying in the program would probably cost me around $65,000 next year. I'm more than okay with not working in the Big 4 or doing anything super ambitious, but would not having an accounting-related degree (Poli Sci bachelors, oops) be an issue with employers if I have my CPA license?

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
I should be fine under the new track though, no? None of my undergrad courses were in accounting, so out of necessity I'll need at least 24 accounting-related courses anyways.

Mush Mushi posted:

20 of these additional units must be in "accounting study" and 10 will have be in ethics related courses. These requirements technically have not been approved yet, but it's pretty much a done deal at this point.

Is there a source for this? I've looked here and here, and I don't see anything mentioning that. Also, is the ethics requirement for licensing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
So that'd total 78 accounting/business semester units? The accounting subjects and the accounting study don't stack, for instance?

This is infuriating. Why on earth would the calcpa.org, which pops up as the first google result for "california cpa requirements," not mention this? In fact, they go so far as to provide a list of post January 1, 2014 requirements which doesn't include any of the additional educational requirements. Seriously, they explicitly tell you that the only additional requirement is 150 units. It's unbelievable.

Looks like it's time to drop out and bust my rear end to get my CPA before 2014.