Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
I'm graduating at the end of the year and I have no idea what the hell to do. The local job listings are all "accounting clerk" positions that don't seem to require a functioning brain (and pay accordingly) or positions that require a CPA and/or 5 years of experience. The only one of the Big 4 around here is KPMG. I can't do an internship because I work full-time. Am I just screwed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
I hadn't considered taking the CPA exam right away; Virginia doesn't seem to have any experience requirements, just an accounting degree with 150 hours. One big problem: it costs about a grand to take, which is money I sure don't have. The whole point of this exercise was to make more money... Dammit. My brain is also about fried from two years of constant work/school/work/school, so I don't know how well studying would go. I was really hoping to take a break from studying for a little while after graduation.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
I'm actually ten years out of high school; this is my third shot at college (first time I wasn't interested, second time I had to quit because of family stuff; I'm actually finishing this time!). And I work full-time, as I said, so working and studying at the same time isn't exactly new to me. Not that I enjoy doing both at the same time, but I don't really have a choice.

TheOldMan posted:

As a CPA in Virginia, I can tell you there is in fact a one year experience requirement.

edit: To be a CPA, not to take the exam. You can take the exam w/ 120 credits even, you just can't get licensed.

Ah, thanks. The state board of accountancy's website doesn't make that clear. So what happens if you take the exam without the license requirements? Do you have a certain period of time in which to fulfill them?

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
Well, I just got laid off, so I guess I'll have more time to concentrate on breaking into the industry.