Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER

Hellblazer187 posted:

Would it be terribly difficult for an American CPA to get work in Canada? I don't really have any serious plans to do that but I was just sort of curious if anyone knew about CPAs/CAs crossing borders.

So far as I know, all the educational requirements are transferred, but you still actually need to pass the exam. This is from a Canadian perspective, however, and we require a certain number of auditing hours (usually) as well as an additional set of education (either the MPAcc or CASB programs) before taking the UFE, and from what little I've talked to people considering moving to the states, neither of those requirements are needed down there. So it may be harder to come up here after getting a CPA than going down there after getting a CA.

Also you could get a CMA/CGA in Canada (if you didn't want to do public accounting), but there would still be some similar hoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

One might say they need to...

Audit their reporting process. :cool:

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Mandalay posted:

well, at least they teach creative accounting :downsrim:

No lie, CMA's, an alternative designation in Canada, literally had the slogan 'creative accountants' 2 years ago. Not sure what they were thinking...

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

subversiveasset posted:

From what I've seen, my group doesn't have a lot of tax planning stuff. But then again, what I've seen so far is a month's worth of *intern* stuff -- I haven't talked a whole lot with the director and partner on the engagement.

Your elaboration on responsibilities throughout career was exactly what I was looking for, though.

Ultimately, I realize that I'm a bit early in the process. I have quite a bit of time to just get situated first, so I guess that's what the compliance-heavy workload at the bottom of the career ladder is all about.

You realize it's tax season right? Like, the time of the year that taxes need to get filed? There's a seasonality issue involved here.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Mandalay posted:

I'm not an accountant, but if you're talking about startup small businesses, the above sounds profoundly unhelpful.

How is consulting/tax planning unhelpful to a small business? :confused:

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Dogo posted:

I had a question for anyone who might know: Out of college, do firms tend to recruit more audit staff compared to tax staff?

I am going to be going through the fall recruitment process pretty soon, and am about to start signing up for interviews. Some firms have both audit and tax staff positions that I can sign up for, and while I do tend to enjoy my tax accounting classes more than my auditing accounting classes, I don't want to cripple my chances of getting a job by going for tax if there is a lot fewer positions available in that area.

Thanks for any and all help!

I don't think I've ever heard of tax having near as many openings as audit - especially at the campus recruitment level.

However, I got a job straight into tax, and it is honestly exactly what I was looking for. And the only reason I got the job was because it was tax. I got passed over during fall recruitment, and basically fell into the job I have because of some random things to do with a tax team for a business competition I was in. Definitely show interest in tax. If you'd be happy to work in audit as well, you could note it.

Remember that having an idea (even if it isn't concrete yet) that you'd like to work in a specific area is just another way to separate yourself from someone else. Make sure you have good answers for why you want to work tax and not audit.

I've got some pretty strong opinions on this sort of thing related to campus recruitment, and if you have any questions, feel free to shoot me an e-mail to my username (no spaces) @gmail.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

gmilo posted:

Firms recruit more audit than tax staff because from what I've experienced there is a poo poo ton more turnover in auditing than in tax. If you think you would be interested in tax, then give it a shot. Audit always needs people so if you really don't like tax I can't imagine it being difficult to transition over either at your current firm or jumping ship to a new one.
Audit hires year round, tax focuses on busy season, so fall recruiting for jobs/internships that start in January is the time to try tax if you want.

It's not just about turnover - generally there seems to be more audit work than tax work for any given client. Though this and turnover is really gonna vary from firm to firm.

I started working in May doing tax, and I've had steadier work than any of the audit people who got hired at the same time. And May-September is about as un-tax-season as you can get.

The overall point here is that especially if the prospective office is < 100 people, then there could be a pretty big degree of change based on how many people have recently quit from each dept etc.. The only way you could know the specific situation of your firm is if you actually asked them. If they say they're hiring tax, it means they need tax people. Even if they don't say it, no one's gonna be offended if you say you'd prefer to work in tax than audit. It shows that you are starting to develop interests beyond 'I like debits and credits'.

I don't really see a way putting tax as your first choice would hurt you in any way. Just make sure that if that's your intent, you make it clear that you'd be willing to start in audit, maybe even until you get your designation. That's what a lot of people do, anyway (that is, get a designation and then switch into tax, advisory, etc.), and if nothing else it shows that you have at least a pretext of a goal that isn't "immediately switch over to industry to make bigger $".

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Most young CAs/ CA students who bitch the hardest about the merger are people who:

• came in bottom of the pack in university and haven't gotten over it;
  • got their designation working at a small firm with 40- hours and don't have name-brand employment to back them up in a job hunt;
  • are afraid/ unable to differentiate themselves based on work they've done; and/or
  • are really bitter about their first 3 years out of school, and can't cope except by passing on the pain.

There are recent CAs at my firm who don't know what compound interest is. People who can't do more than A1+B2 in excel. Talk to clients like they're their children/parents/enemies. Spend 10 hours completing 5 page file summary memos. Etc. Etc. Etc.

But damned if they can't count inventory or look up 1 sentence references in the CICA handbook!

Don't let your designation define you. People with talent who really and truly earned their letters will still be in demand, and if a CMA-style-trained CPA applies for the same job as you and gets it, then how is that unfair? (Also, that can't even hypothetically happen for 10 years, so save the whining for later.)

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Moneyball posted:

As an update to my previous post, it turned out to be a new Liberty Tax franchise, and the owner is paying for the books this year.

There are only so many spots, so I hope I'm selected, but I'm confident I will be. The owner graduated the same college and degree program as I'm in, and I'm definitely showing desire for the position.

I contacted my school and was told it counts as an internship, so I get three credits out of it, so I'm psyched about that. However, I don't have a specific desire to get into tax accounting, though I'm not against the idea. For a summer internship (or job) should I use this experience to find a position in tax planning, or go a different route?

Just keep in mind that filling tax forms is to tax analysis work, as bookkeeping is to auditing.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Mush Mushi posted:

I'll be participating in at least one Big 4 "National Leadership Program" this summer. From what I hear, participating in these programs, especially the more selective national versions, greatly increases your chances of securing an internship for the following summer.

Anyone attended one of these and/or have any advice? I have heard that some (most?) participants receive an early internship offer after completing the program, or at least are granted an early 2nd round internship interview. That would be amazing.

I work at a big 4 firm in Canada, and have friends in the other 3. I have never heard of someone not getting an offer after attending one of these events, save a few incidents of horrific lapses in judgement on the part of the recruitee. Could still happen, but that's outside my knowledge.

Congrats, you have a job. Just don't gently caress it up.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

So I'm recruiting with all the Big 4 and have to choose which one I like best. Anybody have horror stories/advice?

Please don't say its just about the people.

Sorry, but it really is the people. Benefits will be similar across the board, the main diff is just specific office atmosphere within your local practice group. If you know anyone from upper years in one of the offices, take them for lunch, solo, so they can actually say how they feel.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Something lawful posted:

Thanks for the help guys. Would any auditors/accountants say they learnt much about business during their training?

I learned a lot of general office-life habits that are worthwhile, but 1-3 years in accounting doesn't give you 'business' knowledge in the way recruiters might tell you. That comes after, when you start to specialize by industry/area of practice. And even then, most of what you're doing is still just debits and credits.

Debiting COS instead of Inventory does not teach you the difference between manufacturing and retail.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

For date-interviews, I recommend trousers with strengthened knee padding.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

fuseshock posted:

I just started in audit at the B4 recently and started my first client this week. It's been 2 days. I have no idea what I am doing... does that feeling ever go away?

Also I'm put on 2 small engagements with just me and my current senior. He wants me to work 12 hour days and it's not even year end/busy season. :confuoot:

Take solace in the fact that having big 4 experience gives your resume amazing brand recognition.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Jota posted:

Just accepted an offer from a Big 4 firm to do a winter tax internship at their Philly office. Can't wait to start, although I'm sure my enthusiasm will be beaten out of me quickly. Although this is tax, I'm starting to think I may be more interested in audit so if the internship goes well and I do get an offer is there a good way to try and get in with audit instead?

Sorry, but you're stuck in tax for life. No one will hire you in audit if you have 4 months of tax experience already.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Defenistrator posted:

Any CA or to be CA's from Canada in this thread?

If so, any tips on the UFE and whether or not its even worth my time to write it considering the designations are merging?

Also, I've noticed for public practice firms like to hire CGA candidates more than CA students aswell. Any thoughts on this too?

If you're in a position to write the UFE now, and you delay taking it for CPA changes, that means you'd be waiting x years to get a designation before the full transition takes place. If you can't write for a while yet, then just pay attention to changes as they get confirmed.

If you want to be in public practice, CAs will still be the only ones able to sign off on financial statements. Everyone might become a 'CPA', but you'll need to right a UFE equivilent exam in the future anyway, because not all CPAs will be equal in that regard.

CGAs are definately not better regarded in public practice. If you see a posting for 'CGA preferred', it's probably a position not worth paying a CA for.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I'm simplifying the terminology a bit, but you won't be licensed to sign financial statements unless you take a CPA route extremely similar to the current CA route. That means:

• Write the UFE/ the exam which replaces it, which will be extremely similar in content;
  • Work 600/1200 hours on audits/review engagements, respectively (exact amount may change); and
  • Work 3 years-ish at an approved CA/CPA training office.
It's all very straightforward right here: http://www.cga-ontario.org/LPA.aspx

Are you sure your current employer is considered an approved training office? I really doubt a 2-man operation could ever get approved. That will matter if you want to sign financial statements, as noted above.

And again, CGAs are definately not more respected tham CAs.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Bone posted:

So I'm still in the first half of getting my accounting degree, and I've started reading about sustainability, or environmental' accounting. Where would I start if I wanted to pursue that?

I would start by creating those fields as viable areas of employment, because the related careers do not really exist as such.

Like, a political group might be involved in requiring companies to do x environmental thing, and as an accountant, you would accrete an expense for that thing over time. The end. Accountants don't reallly do policy change, they just follow changes that get put in place. Once you have a strong employment record behind you, maybe you could parlay that into a position with a lobbying group; I'm not really sure. But that's not really anything you could do right out of university.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

24 posts in as many hours - yeap, bunch of folk bitching about public practice. My fave is when managers refuse to accept a change in treatment/work process, regardless of potential increase in accuracy/efficiency/both, because it "isn't how we did things in the prior period." Because the path of least resistance is always just to do the same thing the partner signed off on last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I graduated with a BBA in accounting about a year ago and the only job I could get before graduation was a call center tech support job when KMPG rescinded a job offer due to restructuring at the office I was going to begin my CA training. I got a bad taste for public accounting from that and speaking to other indivduals who got into a Big 4 since graduation. Since I been doing the accounting and captial budget management for a volunteer organazation, I really been looking to go with the CMA program. I been trying to apply for junior accountants positions in Altatic Canada and they are looking for people with experience or currently enrolled in a program and I am looking for way out of my current call center job fast.

I am seriously considering going with the 8 month accelerated program this fall with CMA New Brunswick as I went through university focused on CA-related courses missing many of the CMA-focused courses in the program and there is a classroom op. My only concern is that my lack of pratical work experience in the field. I know it will be a 3 year course and my employer seem keen on helping me whe nI get into the program but am I going to throw my money away by going for the CMA when I am doing tech support everyday and being rejected for entry-level positions even though I am getting volunteer experience in the field?

This should be a lesson for everyone that even in accounting, grammar matters.