Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Pass notification for my last exam just got posted. Glad I never need to do that again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

posh spaz posted:

Sorry if this has been covered before, but does anyone have recommendations for cheap CPA exam prep resources? The Becker and Wiley programs are way out of my price range right now. How specialized are those review books? Would I be able to get most of the material from regular accounting textbooks?

Outside of some tax stuff on REG, there really wasn't anything on the exams that I hadn't already seen with a BS/MS in accounting. Becker isn't going to teach you anything new, but it is going to focus you on the stuff most likely to be tested and hammer it into your brain.

You could get most of the same information from a normal textbook but it would be way harder to study that way

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I don't think many employers care about an AS. They'd rather just scoop up interns that are in their way to a BS or MS. There's plenty of those to go around.

Most big 4 want people with MACC or MTax or at least students in a priority recruiting school with a plan for 150. Internship at an audit firm is huge, as well as roles in campus orgs like BAP. Not acting like a goober during interviews is also essential. It's a pretty straightforward path if that's what she wants but it takes several years of steady work to execute.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I think career fairs are more about getting a sense of the firms than it is about the firms getting a sense for you.

My schools career fair let me test my assumptions about the different firms and confirm two had attitudes I did not want to associate with.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Watching dozens of nervous college kids in their best suits wandering the office between interviews is good fun on a surprisingly easy Friday. Way more fun than being one of those kids.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

SiGmA_X posted:

How slow are all of your various work computers/systems?

Reasonably fast until it comes time to expense two weeks worth of travel expenses and then suddenly slow as ballllllllllllllssssss

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

I don't know if this applies, but generally the standard is "look at what they did last year and try to make it better, unless it's a first year client, then lol good luck." Don't just roll stuff forward, and make sure things didn't change and make the prior year information irrelevant, but it's better to have a base template to use as a jumping off point. I've been doing some key report testing lately, and the difference in the amount of time it took me to update the documentation around a key report we've tested for years vs. the time it took me to document a newly in-scope key report was hours*.

*partly because I realized halfway through I was documenting it the wrong way :downs:

12/31 roll forward erry day

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

posh spaz posted:

Print out all data
printed sheets
Accountants print off reports
printed

Yeah this workflow sounds dumb and crazy

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

With comp sci + a CPA and some decent business writing skills you could probably jump to consulting if you wanted too

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

N.N. Ashe posted:

Is anyone here already have these? It seems like a super great combo, however I've not heard many people actually having it.

It's a combo that companies want and some schools have been pushing it as an option for a while now. Some programs have overlapping upper division core classes shared between the two, like internal controls and database classes. The people I know who went that route received good offers in either consulting, internal control assurance, or information security.

So yeah, it's definitely A Thing.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

You're going to spend a lot more of your energy worrying about AQR and Pcaob notes than criminal prosecution.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

Inventory counts are weird as hell.

I actually enjoy them most of the time. Each one is so different that it's interesting

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Just got assigned to another state for busy season, hours maxed and with every other staff slot between staff and senior manager listed as 'to be filled'

RIP me.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Texibus posted:

Here's another question. For a similar price would it be wise just to re-up with Becker? because the course wasn't the issue it was my poo poo schedule and poor work ethic.

I think Becker makes the tests pretty easy as long as you're willing to drop around 80 hours on each exam. No complaints.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

You can get overtime up to senior level in some countries to the point where making the transition to manager is a pay cut.

E: referring to big 4

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

N.N. Ashe posted:

Because accounting students will still go into blood pacts for the chance to work at a large accounting firm because of the half dozen reasons the recruiters say. I really wish accounting professors would talk more about the actual hours, lack of overtime pay, and attrition beyond 'public accounting isn't for everyone.' I had one professor that was like 'hey you could be like the whistleblower for enron and make lots of money making speeches.' Completely brushing under the rug all the terrible poo poo she had to go through and how she was a complete wreck for a year.

A big part of the problem is that your experience in public accounting will almost completely depend on your client assignment and the personality of your team members. Besides long hours it's hard to describe the field universally.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Honestly it seems really really late in the game to get in on big 4 recruiting for the upcoming fall start class. I don't know when winter/spring recruiting starts and ends but that would be way more realistic at this point than fall. At my school most people had their fall offers by November of the previous year and even the firms that had to fill spots after rejected offers finished that round by the end of January.

I'm not saying it's impossible but it might be time to shift gears and dedicate yourself fully to a different goal or at least a different time frame. I hope I'm wrong and you get the call you've been hoping for tomorrow but you need to start lining up alternatives now instead of focusing on something that you no longer have control over

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Turd Nelson posted:

How's everyone's busy season going? So far my firm has had two accountants with 7 and 15 years of experience leave the industry and we've had to fire two administrative positions for various reasons. Despite being down four people, we've somehow managed to get more returns out the door while at the same time people are working fewer hours than last year :confused:

Stuck in the never ending busy season. Surprisingly light weekly time load but between 9/30 clients, 12/31 clients, and 3/31 clients, motivation is getting hard to come by. Life is suffering.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Anecdotally I've heard that transferring test scores without all 4 completed can be a mess. Are you working in the break between school and your start date? Can you just charge through them? With Becker and no other commitments they can be done in a fairly short amount of time.

I moved to another state for my offer so I just took all 4 in the couple of months before moving. It wasn't easy but it got done.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Is anyone here taking part in Deloitte's new review process? I'd have a hard time picturing how it could be any worse than the existing review process of the big 4 firms so I'm interested to hear some first hand experiences.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I kinda just rushed through all the MC on FAR and spent all my extra time looking up absolutely everything in the sims in the authoritative literature and passed. I had a class dedicated to gov/fund accounting in my masters program though.

Everybody walks out of those things thinking they hosed up bad and are going to fail

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Yay for new audit tools that don't loving work resulting in me staying extra late and still billing half my time to tech codes.

Goodbye any chance of a weekend

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

nm posted:

So my younger brother (M.A. in accounting, currently taking CPA tests) recently got an offer from PWC in a large US metro area for some associate position.
I'm just some lawtalking guy, but it sounds a lot like "big law" in the sense that the grind the poo poo out of you, pay you more than you'd expect to make (though way less than big law), but it gives you a lot of openings. Is that roughly true?
Also is there a reason not to take that job v. medium established firms in midmarkets he'd be happy to live in.

PwC in a major metro will definitely grind the poo poo out of you but not as much as in big law, and the real grind starts after year 3 (PwC has 3 years as staff).

The big 4 are way better for your resume than medium size firms and i wouldn't say the medium size firms are all that much nicer on average to their staff/seniors. Depends on the firm of course

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

The benefits are nice, and they actually have a system whereby current employees can find out about positions with clients. You work a lot, but in off-peak seasons it's much closer to a 40 hour/week job. Of course it depends what line of service he's looking at.

The benefits are nice but in a major metro you're still only getting to around 40 in off peak because you're still eating hours and also not counting your 3 hour daily commute.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

nm posted:

Yeah, $50k won't buy poo poo there. Dunno what salary they are offering.

What city? I can probably tell you the intro rate by city

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Oh god don't start in SF. But yeah they're in the top tier of pay so probably a little more than 57k first year with 3k signing bonus and around 5k for finishing the CPA in the first year

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

nm posted:

Why not SF?

Mostly cause cost of living there is hell and pay tiers don't rate it higher than the other more affordable tier 1 markets.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

nm posted:

Hope he likes living in vallejo.

You guys kinda get hosed on salary. Under $60k on a profession in an expensive city with a masters degree. No wonder people keep going to law school (don't go to law school). Does it ramp up with a CPA or something?

Public accounting is probably the most reliable way to brute force your way into the middle class. You don't make great money at first but it's decent and the opportunities after putting in 3-6 years can be very good, assuming you aren't a crazy person and decide to go partner.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

SiGmA_X posted:

Just curious, what is Portland, Oregon?

Its not in the highest pay tier and not such a huge office that their pay rate is discussed much but I'm fairly certain they're second tier and ~53k.

E: if you work for a firm that has a stratified out-of-town meal budget listing it's usually easy to approximate a city's cost of living tier from their meal budget, but some cities that are more or less in need of people will move it up or down a little.

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 14, 2015

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Covok posted:

So, I'm a new hire at my firm. I won't mention the firm for obvious reasons as there is a lot I say here that a company would not want to be associated with.

I keep loving up. Like, I really keep loving up.

This isn't r/TIFU so I won't go crazy, but I keep loving up reports and the Senior's fix them. Like, a lot. hosed this up, hosed that up, and I really feel it's getting out of hand. Like, I just don't check enough and that is something I'm working on so I can stop loving up, but I really am starting to wonder if I'm just incompetent at my work. Like, seriously, so many careless mistakes being done constantly leading me to have to keep redoing reports and stuff of that nature. I can't imagine that those who work above me and with me aren't getting annoyed at this point. I keep saying "I won't let it happen again" and I keep taking notes and doing checks, but A LOT keeps getting through.

My question is, how long do I have to finally stop loving up before this really starts loving me? Like, I realize that today would be the best day to stop and, trust me, I'm trying, but I'm just curious how long I got to stop being a loving moron, because shockingly five years of college apparently wasn't enough time to get that out of my system, before it bites me back hard?

P sure you're my new staff. Please stop loving up my work papers thanks

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Staff 1s are universally trash. Keep your support dump organized, make sure you understand the reason we're doing a workpaper, and chill the hell out and you'll be fine.

Also double check the order when picking up dinner for fucks sake I said mayo

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

LOL @ p-dubs

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Kitchner posted:

I'm not sure I'd wish that one anyone.

Congrats, one day you too can be a sociopath with no life and high stress levels, don't worry though because you'll probably earn about £200K a year.

Big 4 partners in the US make way way more than that.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Covok posted:

God, I can't afford to lose my job.

You wont. Enjoy your 3

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Never try to keep up with long-time accountants or lawyers unless you're also a borderline alcoholic

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

When did this thread turn into E/N?

Busy season over. Time to get fuuuuuuucckkked

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

gently caress off, 4 days straight of here at 730 am leaving at 1230 am. got another 3 weeks of this poo poo.

This is my first year since starting that I haven't had several non-standard year ends dragging on for months after most people are back to normal schedules and it feels great. Sucks about your schedule

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

GPA in the low 3s is a minimum barrier of entry, not a selling point. More important is experience and not be a huge weirdo in your interview

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 27, 2017

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Depends on what other offers you get (you'll get a lot, especially after becoming senior) and how much you hate it. A year of manager then out is probably the best for long term growth potential but those senior years suuuuuuuck. A year of senior experience is also well regarded

Either way get your cpa and a good offer lined up before you quit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Judge your offer by what you'll be doing, who you'll be working with, and the work life balance there. Salary will be the pretty standard 15-20% bump over public