Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Annointed posted:

Trying to collect the main account invoices to start closing the September Accounts. Oh gods everything is so disorganized from the move.

It’s in internship, relax and learn what you can. You’re supposed to be poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

i get my final CPA results in 9 days and by god I think I've finished accounting

suck it nerds

Congrats on beating the final boss of accounting!

*title card appears and intro music begins*

Oh, oh no

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I'm a half step away from giving up my super cushy job to take the next steps somewhere else, with a huge pay bump and title upgrade, and gently caress I kinda don't want to. I like my company, coworkers, and current work/life balance, and stepping into the unknown is scary, but the offer is sooo good. It's so clearly and obviously the right choice and I'd be a fool not to take it. Goddammit

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

19 o'clock posted:

i'm doing my part...?

The partners thank you for your dedication. Please accept this $10 target gift card as a token of their sincere appreciation

When I got my first job at firm fresh out of uni in 2017 they were saying we might be among the last human accountants they hire because computer strong lmao

They've been saying this for years longer than that and it has been hilariously bullshit the entire time. It's all just a scam to make consultants some money and get old partners who don't know any better to get a tingle at their quarterly conference. They still haven't figured out a way to reliably train people at their 'resource centers' in India and the Philippines from the last consultant scam they bought into. They always just completely forget that accountancy is an apprenticeship profession when they fantasize about eliminating staff in pursuit of a year to year margin bump.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I'd say the easiest path to actually get their wish for tax returns to be automated would be the government just pre-filling everything for you but that will never happen of course. Maybe everyone is gonna be alright until the lights go out.

Well personal tax is a completely different situation from audit, corporate accounting, or corporate tax. Personal tax at the low-to-mid levels would be almost completely eliminated as a career path if Intuit stopped lobbying the government to prevent them from automating the process. I mean there'd still be plenty of space for tax accountants to get creative to keep rich people from paying taxes, but that'd be about it.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

It's worth noting that the incredible short sightedness of partners and other profession leaders is huge boon to job seekers right this moment if you're at the mid level of the career right now. I recently quit my job for basically the exact same job with a better title and almost 3x the pay once you factor in equity compensation and it rules. Companies are so desperate

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Hoping y’all’s companies either do or do not use SVB as their main bank, depending on your desire for continued employment at your current position

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Does anyone work with Deloitte consulting, or know if BFC has a consulting thread?

Work with as in work ‘for’, or have experience contracting them to do work?

I have some of the later. Not sure what I can really say other than their work quality was generally good

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Emandesunu posted:

Anyone have experience with asc 842 operating Leases? I think we're late but

Private company with 10+ Leases, ~3 new planned this year with scattered abatement and ti allowances

Read a few articles. Wrapping my head around the month to month and effects on ebitda / working capital.

How big of a project is this? Software recommendations? Is this enough for a fte hire?

Is this a project I should jump into for a promotion or is more tedious project and should be avoided/ pushed onto someone else?

I have tons of experience in this area. It’s honestly not that bad except for two areas. The first is the Incremental borrowing rate. Thats usually a pain to develop and update but you’re a private company so you can just use the practical expedient and utilize the risk free rate. The second issue is testing for embedded leases, to ensure that some production line or warehouse you’re storing some goods at doesn’t need to be classified as a lease now. This requires monitoring new contracts for lease language

At the end of the day though it’s really just a balance sheet exercise and most auditors have moved on from caring all that much about it. Make sure to use all the practical expedients like for IBR as mentioned above, the short term lease exception, and the lease/nonlease component shortcut and you’ll be alright. There’s some software out there that can help but even when I ran the program at a big public company with more leases I just did it in an excel file with a few macros. Feel free to PM me if you’re getting stuck somewhere, or read the free Big 4 explainers on the topic since they’re really comprehensive

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Overdrift posted:

Started my 4 month co-op term with an accounting firm. Everyone seems super nice and helpful but man am I overwhelmed with these practice files in Caseware. I understand what most of these numbers are and how they're supposed to work together, but its like going from a 100 piece puzzle to a 10,000 piece puzzle and also some of the pieces don't fit or are just missing when comparing from school to this. I hope I can find my way into some level of competency, though thankfully the firm has some amazing learning resources and I intend to use them as much as I can.

That feeling is completely normal and it’s because new staff are essentially worthless until they’ve spent a lot of time learning on the job. As long as you’re starting out with a good attitude and a team willing to spend time helping you then you’ll learn to be productive and jaded like the rest of us soon enough

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Annointed posted:

Been getting unlucky so far with job offers week 4. Got any tips to make the waiting for the job offers easier?

Do you have a LinkedIn and any recruiter contacts? Ideally you let them do the work for you.

To answer your actual question, kindle unlimited is a pretty good deal if you appreciate vast piles of mediocre genre fiction and Diablo 4 comes out Thursday

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Do not take a job at a startup without some equity/ownership component to your comp

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Ungratek posted:

Intern asked me at happy hour if we do these twice a week all year and I didn’t have the heart to tell them it’s just a recruiting tactic

Let them know it’s ok, public accounting induced alcoholism just becomes homework instead of a group project after their internship

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Annointed posted:

Currently waiting out the background check. Hopefully it all goes well. Any tips regarding hotel accounting? Or same as any other industry?

I’d assume it’s somewhat easy, depending on the size of the hotel (chain?) you’re working for, at least compared to industries that have significant inventory and manufacturing? If it’s megabig or upscale I’d think the bigger issues would be accounting for construction in progress and maybe revrec on events like weddings/conventions? If it’s that big they probably don’t have staff accountants handling those aspects though.

Like any entry level accounting it’s probably more important to come in with a good attitude and be ready to improve on whatever excel skills you have or learn their proprietary systems that’s most important.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

Something strange is happening. After years in the “eh close enough” operational reporting world, I’m getting the itch to get back into the land of debits and credits. Someone talk me out of it. Or hype up your accounting role if you want.

Do some FAR practice exams or something to get this sick impulse out of your system

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Annointed posted:

Oof. I ended up fumbling an invoice by working on a statement with no invoice given, then got commented on my lack of organization and implied lack of work output.

This seems like normal stuff for someone as fresh as you and hopefully your boss was just having a bad day because anyone working with first timers should know this is normal

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

One time I didn't notice my cursor focus shifted and typed 'OH gently caress WHAT AN rear end in a top hat' in a primary audit document instead of the chat window and it got archived like that.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

19 o'clock posted:

This is the good poo poo.

It was the summary of audit corrections doc so people absolutely saw it the next year but nobody ever proved it was me

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Getting in a spiral of self doubt is actually the easiest path to constant gently caress ups. When I was at my worst my first year my senior told me ‘yo, chill, we aren’t saving lives here’ and that unfucked my mind a good deal

So today I say the same to you

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Zoeb posted:

One thing I am struggling with is that I don't have a car and use public transportation here in Chicago and I will meet with a firm at a job fair and that is a deal breaker for them or they are based way out in the suburbs with no transit access. I went to a job fair today and the firm said that there used to be bus service in front of their office but no longer but they would not consider making the role remote. I wouldn't be able to get a car until I got a job but even then I am not sure if I would want one because there is no place to park it in my neighborhood and Chicago is aggressive in tickets in order to raise revenue. Chicago's government doesn't seem to want people to have cars.

I also worked audit in Chicago and you absolutely need a car. All the housing and the firms are in downtown, but basically all of the clients are out in the suburbs. Sucks but that’s just how the city works. I left because I was so goddam sick of the hour plus commute every day

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Annointed posted:

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I received a discuplinary hearing over me not pulling my weight.

They seem towant to help me succeed.

I just hate how I cannot seem to find the right words to explain myself.

This is probably not what you want to hear since I know you struggled getting this job, and some people may disagree with me, but it’s probably time to start submitting apps again. Even for employers who see themselves as having good intentions it’s real hard to get back into their positive graces after having that conversation/reprimand. And for employers without good intentions they’re just a way to cover your rear end against wrongful termination suits.

Also it sounds like they suck if they’re this critical of such a new staff

Obviously don’t quit while job searching

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Annointed posted:

Wait wait maybe it wasn't disciplinary just the controller taking me to their office and explaining what is going on and what they can do to help. They did make me sign a paper as proof I did get this meeting

Just gently caress feels like everything in my head is going wrong.

If you signed something it’s a formal reprimand

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

19 o'clock posted:

For real. The problem is squarely on them if they think a brand new staff level accountant is going to handle their first close with zero issues. As a new hire no less!

You’re not crazy and you don’t suck, OP. The situation is unreasonable. Don’t let it get to you.

I agree but this dude has had trouble finding a job so it especially sucks

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

ist posted:

Please understand that the way your boss is managing you is extremely atypical and that you will have a much better experience working elsewhere. I'm not saying you should necessarily quit immediately without something lined up -- looks like it took you awhile to find that job and it may be a struggle to find another right away (especially if it's your only relevant work experience), but at least know that it will be better when you find a new place to work.

Strongly agree with this part of the post

Not to say there aren’t little accounting fiefdoms run by shithead Controllers all over the industry, but it’s more the exception than the rule. Most people rightly realize that this is an apprenticeship profession and taking on a fresh staff is like adopting a new puppy and a big commitment of your time and understanding. And they know that because they remember being a dumb as hell staff themselves

Really wishing you the best at either finding a new job or coping cause it sounds bad

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Annointed posted:

It just feels like I wasn't given time to get mentored. Much less given anythhing for long term.

Oh certainly and I don’t think anyone here would disagree with that. Obviously we’re only hearing your side of the story but firing any entry level person who seems to care and is making a good faith effort to learn is hosed

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I am no longer employed (not fired, it's complicated), and not having a job or a rapidly approaching start date for the first time in a decade is a weird feeling. I guess I'll fix up my resume and reach out in a week or so to some recruiters who've been messaging me, but its not feeling especially urgent at the moment.

life just takes a weird turn sometimes

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

mcmagic posted:

It's a career issue. My job is perfectly fine. I'm hybrid 2-3 days a week in the office and my co workers and boss are all fine and I have decent work life balance. The work is just really boring and i'm pretty mid at it and I can't see any finance/accounting job being much better.

I’m curious what you think would be significantly improved in another career path? I mean being a mid level office guy in all the other paths I’ve seen doesn’t seem much better. The early/public stages of the accounting career are a nightmare but after that it’s mostly like every other soul draining job in our capitalist system, with maybe some more excel than the other options.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/trungtphan/status/1734985280732680515?s=46

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Looking for jobs and so many are trying to force 4 or 5 days a week in the office and I’m just like lol nah but thanks for wasting my time I guess.

It’s such a red flag that management is poo poo and doesn’t trust their employees in today’s market, and I’m not feeling much pressure to accept that bullshit

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

I must be a bad millennial because I hated working from home and I would never do it again.

Honestly I prefer hybrid and 2-3 days in the office is ideal. It’s good to get out of the house and get some in person time with your coworkers if the culture is good. Its the mandating that’s the red flag to me.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Considering a job offer at a company with a bad wfh policy and needing to consider how attached I am to pantsless accounting

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Zarin posted:

Without knowing your work situation, I have to imagine it really just comes down to how much bigger the new paycheck would be.

Currently unemployed so this would increase my comp roughly infinity%.

I’m not desperate, though, I just like this company’s product and the responsibilities of the position more than most that I’ve talked to recently

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

https://x.com/ap/status/1757842566551101584?s=46

Rip to that guy

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I honestly prefer ultrawide

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

Got to use a fun line at work yesterday.

“Heyyyy aren’t you a CPA? Do you like taxes? My friend is looking for business filing help.”

“I am happy to look at your friend’s situation. Will it be right? Probably not. Will they get money back? Doubtful. Have I looked at a tax return since taking REG a decade ago? Nope.”

Anytime some asks about my job these days I’m just like I’m an accountant, and no, I don’t even do my own taxes

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

That sounds like you’re at or near a control failure in one of your journal entry processes

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Covok posted:

In what regards? They pulled like a bunch of eclectic things.

Yeah I don’t know the level of sophistication of your GL system labeling of what’s manual and what’s not, or the sophistication of the auditor’s sampling process , or even what they think might be failing (maybe it’s even some IT interface control?). But late sampling of random GL sounds like an expansion of the recommended sample size due to instances of control failure within the tables’/model’s tolerances. It’s been years and years since I’ve done audit side work but I doubt an audit manager of 6 years suddenly decided he would love to do more tedious gl line testing 3 weeks before filing.

On the materiality comment that was deleted, yeah I do, that’s why it sounds control related and not substantive as they would have probably filtered out for very low values in substantive.

Not disputing that auditors are commonly annoying and occasionally dumb, and I also love explaining materiality to them

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Gabriel Grub posted:

It's funny because auditing is totally broken, and the only solution on the horizon (AI) would only make it super duper worse.

if the auditor ever tries to make me answer questions from staff_bot09 I'm going butlerian jihad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Market's been weird. I've been out of work for a couple months (longest ever since graduation) holding out for a job offer that didn't have a glaring red flag, and all of a sudden I'm on three different interview tracks and all of them sound A+ and headed towards imminent offers with great compensation. I'm relatively sure I'm going to get offers from all 3, or at worst 2/3, and all of them sound like good fits. This is a welcome change of pace since I was starting to get slightly worried the world had shifted under my feet and my wife was starting to get mildly annoyed with me getting drunk on a random Tuesday playing Yakuza or whatever.

Tempted to play the offers against each other but I probably shouldn't push my luck and be happy with my sudden windfall of opportunities.