Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Smif-N-Wessun posted:

What do you guys use to look for jobs nowadays? Specifically accounting? I'm in NYC for context.

I try to look at Linkedin and Indeed, but the vast majority of job listings are pretty trash to be honest.

Of course aside from using a network the old fashioned way. Anything else?

I need to leave my toxic job, but looking around has been discouraging to say the least.

Also, is there any resource out there for being able to listen to interviews as examples so I can get my head back in the game, its something I struggle with and I think that will help.

My last two (accounting, albeit industry) roles I got were through LinkedIn; the caveat there is that they came to me (via recruiters in my inbox).

I didn't do anything specific to make this happen, at least as far as I can tell. All I've really done is just spend some time upfront making the page look decent, get a few endorsements (a long time ago), and randomly open the app every now and then to connect with anyone I remotely might know.

I really think the connections are key; if you wanna boost it fast, search for Accounting Recruiter NYC (or something similar) and connect with all the 2nd Degree connections that present themselves until you hit the rate limiter.

Do that a couple times and you'll probably be a 1st and 2nd Level connection to like a billion recruiters, and your inbox will groan underneath the strain of 95% dogwater / 5% interesting opportunities.

Not sure if this is the BEST way to go about it, but for the cost of one or two "shotgun your resume into the void" sessions, it's probably worth it to see if something you're interested in comes to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Annointed posted:

And yell at boss to get off his lazy rear end and go overr bank records of lost checks. It his business why the gently caress is he not on top of this before I arrived

"I'm the ideas guy, not the details guy"