Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

If she has an LL.M., she should take the bar ASAP (I believe NY is friendly to non-US lawyers) if she has not already. At my mid-size accounting firm we have three lawyers in our international tax practice (including myself!). Big four firms also recruited heavily from my LL.M. class, not to mention law firms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

How slow are all of your various work computers/systems?

Horrible. Mostly because there are 10,000 people trying to use the same servers.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

You can also get a law degree and focus on tax law, then get an LL.M., which was my route to accounting firm employment (don't actually do this unless you enjoy debt)

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

That's one of the end goals of working in public, right? Industry, or make partner, I suppose. I had always heard it was best to put in as many years in public as you could stand before moving in house as you can come in at a higher level and promotion within industry is not supposed to be as quick as in one of the firms.

What's your experience been like? I kind of like the work I'm doing now (tax), but the hours are pretty brutal at times.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

No, everyone will still need to file taxes, and if things do change drastically, then there will be more work than ever as people restructure in response.

Perhaps long term, but I somehow doubt this is ever really going to get less complex. My firm is still hiring aggressively. Does she have an internship lined up? That tends to be the easiest way into the big firms, but there are still plenty of opportunities regardless.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

International tax; our busy season isn't really that bad - August through mid-September typically. Consulting actually keeps me busier throughout the year, no real down time except maybe January and February. If a deal is closing, you're working 70+ hour weeks. Agree that most PPDs are psychos, although I've been pretty impressed with the National Tax folks.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Covok posted:

So, I'm a new hire at my firm. I won't mention the firm for obvious reasons as there is a lot I say here that a company would not want to be associated with.

I keep loving up. Like, I really keep loving up.

This isn't r/TIFU so I won't go crazy, but I keep loving up reports and the Senior's fix them. Like, a lot. hosed this up, hosed that up, and I really feel it's getting out of hand. Like, I just don't check enough and that is something I'm working on so I can stop loving up, but I really am starting to wonder if I'm just incompetent at my work. Like, seriously, so many careless mistakes being done constantly leading me to have to keep redoing reports and stuff of that nature. I can't imagine that those who work above me and with me aren't getting annoyed at this point. I keep saying "I won't let it happen again" and I keep taking notes and doing checks, but A LOT keeps getting through.

My question is, how long do I have to finally stop loving up before this really starts loving me? Like, I realize that today would be the best day to stop and, trust me, I'm trying, but I'm just curious how long I got to stop being a loving moron, because shockingly five years of college apparently wasn't enough time to get that out of my system, before it bites me back hard?

You're new and its pretty common to feel like a gently caress up at first. re-assess after the season, but chances are you're no worse than your peers.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Big firms provide more CPE than you could possibly need every year. For my CLEs I joined ABA and NYSBA and they put trainings on throughout the year, I assume AICPA does something similar?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

These kind of gently caress ups are very normal and as long as you are working diligently to fix it, I would not hold it against you. This is literally the only way you learn anything. This time next year a first year associate will be loving things up for you, and you'll understand, because you've been there.

Big 4 is designed to stress you out, take a breath, you absolutely will not be fired over this. Make sure you are staying in touch with your coach/counselor whatever they call it in your firm and they will let you know if you are off track.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

How about you grow some hair on your chest and get back to us when you've gotten a courtesy disconnect after being on hold with the IRS for two hours.

Haha that shits the worst. I used to have to get EINs over the phone for foreign entities and there's a one entity per day rule which means I'd have to spend an hour or two on hold, read through the ss-4 with the agent, then hang up and do it again. The courtesy disconnect was just a kick in the teeth.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

gently caress off, 4 days straight of here at 730 am leaving at 1230 am. got another 3 weeks of this poo poo.

Haha yep! I've been on a 9:30 to 2 schedule for a while now. Sometimes I finish early and get to go home before midnight. If I can just get two deals closed and an opinion written in the next few weeks I may make it, otherwise I have a provision coming in and then compliance for my extended clients to ruin the summer. At least we get paid on Friday.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Employers absolutely care about your GPA, at least when it comes to landing an internship or first year position. My firm has hard cut offs for interviews (differs by position). Once you start, of course, no one gives a gently caress. There's a working assumption that you don't know anything at all as an intern/first year.

Poster finishing the MAC, any luck with internships or just going in cold once you graduate? The firms I've worked for do take master's grads straight out of school, but obviously harder to get your foot in the door than if you've already done an internship. This is tax, no idea if audit is different.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Randler posted:

Is there any tactful way to request a change in team at a Big4 or should I just try to make a lateral move to the competition?

Like change groups to a different focus/specialization? Or just get away from a toxic team?

In either case, try to get support for a move from the group you're trying to get to first and frame it as a move to fulfill your professional interests rather than as anything wrong with the current group. I would also time it so you are not leaving anyone in the lurch, like if you're tax, this is probably a good time as busy season is over (for now). We have people transfer from core federal to international all the time, although it usually sets back promotions a year or two as you are starting over with a new group from scratch.

That said, it's pretty easy to lateral to another firm, just make sure you don't burn any bridges.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

black.lion posted:

Hey y'all, got my final grades so wooo I have a MS Acct now how exciting. Today's task is resume. I know there's a resume thread but I generally know how to write resumes, but I'd love some feedback specific to where I'm at. My goal is to work in tax initially (I just prefer it to audit) and start studying for and taking the sections of the CPA exam shortly, with a long term goal of getting my CPA and then doing whatever the hell I want with it at that point in time (possibly more tax).

- first question requires a brief history - went from BA Literature > internship > a couple admin/editing jobs > pastry/dessert chef > bookkeeping at a state university, where I was trained by "figure it out yourself" and ultimately decided I'd rather go back to school and learn properly and make more money, then Masters and now here; I know my bookkeeping is relevant obviously, but pastry/dessert chef? editing and proofreading health services research grants? I'd rather leave them off but...

Do I leave a huge gaping hole in my resume before August 2014, since nothing before that is relevant? Or do I lay out my whole meandering path in summary? I'm 30 so the question of what I did with my 20s is going to need to be addressed at some point, but don't know if I'd rather do that on resume or in person.

- second question, related to above lack of experience to put on a resume: I finished my program with a 3.7 GPA... should I put that on there? Does anyone care?

- third, I'm having trouble getting an idea of what compensation to expect, in order to negotiate properly and gauge if I'm being ripped off (or being offered a good deal up front); searching glassdoor indeed etc. I'm having trouble separating CPA-having positions and CPA-hopeful positions, and the range is pretty wide. Plus no CPA firms in this area post openings on those sites. Is there any way to derive a reasonable estimate/range for a CPA-candidate type position that I'm just missing?

Congrats! For your resume, one page, max. Yes, include your GPA. Don't include non-relevant experience. Gap doesn't really matter that much since you are getting your first job off the Masters anyway.
Compensation is highly dependent on market and specialization, where are you looking to work? I can give you a pretty good idea what to expect for tax in NYC and DC (60-95 to start, give or take).

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I mean, some of that is just how job searches go, a lot of rejection before you find the right opportunity, no matter your credentials and experience. Keep plugging away, you'll find it.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah we use Visio or PowerPoint for our restructuring decks. Hands down best method is to make a first year draw it though

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I think starting salaries for a given market and specialty will be pretty similar across the firms. I would check glassdoor/your peers and make sure your offer is within the market range, and use that as a negotiating point if it is not.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I appreciate it. Now I just have to wait for entry level positions to open up.

As others have pointed out, being CPA eligible is more important than a masters. That said, a masters can get you back in the recruiting cycle if you miss out in undergrad. If you want to work for a large firm, understand that 90% or more of entry level hiring is done through (paid) internships. If you can, I highly recommend pursuing that route. Your career counseling center should have information on how it works at your school, but applications and selections are usually done far in advance.

Otherwise, get your resume out to as many places as possible and use your network, that's how I got my first job, it's just harder and you have to get used to rejection.

Good luck!

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

It sounds like you are in a pretty good position, but I understand wanting exposure to more interesting work (also maybe more money in the longer term).

I expect you would come in as an experienced associate given the JD and work experience. In my experience, you would be looking at two years to make senior, and another two or three to manager.

With your resume and background, I think you would be a strong candidate, especially in this job climate. Firms are desperate for qualified client service staff. I would definitely schedule an interview if your resume came across my desk.

I think you first need to figure out which specialty group you would be most interested in joining, then reach out through your network and recruiters to get your resume out there. Talking with your contacts who are working in these groups is probably the best way to figure where you would be the best fit.

I'm in international and I like it pretty well, I get to research and apply the law, write memos, and help my clients with planning and transactions. That said, compliance is always going to be part of the job and client service in public can be a real grind after a while.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Good headphones or earbuds? A nice computer bag (although for 40 bucks and in her style this might be difficult)? If she's in audit, anything for travel would be nice (I've always wanted one of those portable steam wands . . .), tax, get her a potted succulent for her desk to try to alleviate some of the florescent lighting depression vibes.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Well, there really isn't a one volume guide on all of tax that's any good. I find a good treatise the most useful reference and good for getting to grips with an area of tax law. Not sure how accessible they would be without any tax training, but may still be helpful.

Corporate tax: Bittker and Eustice
M&A tax: Ginsberg and Levin
International tax: get the nutshell, but be aware everything just changed, you will need to read the new law and guidance
Individual tax: no idea, I tend to refer to BNA when I have to deal with these issues from time to time
Partnership tax: the logic of subchapter k

BNA Portfolios are all also uniformly excellent on most topics.

To learn tax from scratch, though, I'd want to take a graduate level course.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Haha, this is gonna be great! It looks like we wont have instructions for the new 5471s either. GILTI is going to make this season a special one for my group.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

:warning this is all my opinion:

Per form is a terrible way to bill. Its a strong reinforcement that all you are is a commodity that can be shopped around. Sending the rest in a PM.

edit: For some reason it took me 2 weeks to realize that the IRS is obviously a goverment entity and that they will not be issuing final regs because they are not getting paid ....hahaha :chaostrump: :suicide: :suicide:

We actually got 5471 instructions during the shutdown, so at least some of those folks must be deemed essential and are still working!

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

A Ceiling Fan posted:

Is it possible to get a decent job in accounting after entering as a non-traditional student? Boyfriend is looking into going for a BS at 27, planning on graduation at 30/31. Is accounting one of the fields where finding employment/climbing the ladder is significantly more difficult if you didn't graduate by 22/23?

Nah, 30/31 isn't a problem. The only gate keeping is most firms hire through internships, but they are paid and recruit based on class year, not age. That said, I was able to get a job without an internship, just had to work a little harder. I was 31 when I started working at an accounting firm. Similar to your boyfriend, I went back to grad school at 27 and ended up in tax. My career has been fine working in public.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Probably sophomore year for an early internship your junior year, but visit the university career center early and get the rundown on the recruiting events. Usually theres like a meet the firms type event. Get to know the recruiters. Big 4 have offices everywhere, but do some research on the top firms in your area and desired industry. Public is a good way to get experience and build your credibility, but also worth keeping an eye out for industry opportunities.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, Treasury writes regs and it's a pretty prestigious job if you can get it. A lot of partners/principals with the big 4 national tax groups come from a stint at Treasury.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Sorry, our thread is kinda dead. You might also try r/accounting if you can stand reddit. I can only really speak to public tax in NYC, but there should be plenty of jobs for someone with your experience in public. That said, I'd really hesitate to take a job in public if I didn't want to stick it out for at least a year, especially if you know you'll hate it. Hours in New York are pretty bad, as you no doubt know. Financial services dominates in NYC, so it would be helpful to highlight any experience you have with funds/insurance/banking.

I think your experience looks promising, but it's always hard to find a job in a new city without connections. I'd say keep pounding the pavement to find the opportunity you are looking for unless you just need a job today, in which case public could be an option and could help you pivot to industry down the road.

Recruiters really suck, but at the same time they're useful for getting interviews, just don't let them jerk you around with roles you don't want. If you can find the actual recruiters from the hiring company rather than third party recruiters, its always much better. LinkedIn was useful when I was applying (although I stayed in public).

Applying to job postings online has worked for me in the past, but this was B4, they're very hungry. Never got much traction that way I industry.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll land on your feet.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Most firms do the standard behavioral type interview questions, so prepare a few examples of times you did x thing or faced x issue. Other than that, be confident, interested, have a few questions ready for them to demonstrate interest and wear a suit. Also bring extra copies of your resume. Good luck!

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Target internships if that's an option.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I worked ITS-FS at 300 Madison a few years back if you happen to be working in that office. Not sure what things will be like now, but at the time it was a lot of stucturing and planning work, quite a lot of fun, really, but high-pressure. Finding a good manager/senior is key, as mentioned below. The bad ones will burn you out without teaching you anything. Internships are generally a bit better since they are still trying to sell you on the firm and its a good opportunity to figure out who you want to work with.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

There's a learning curve, don't worry, it will make sense eventually. I find corporate tax easier to understand conceptually than individual tax, since you don't have to worry about all the different deductions, credits, etc. administered through the tax code for individuals. Its generally just business income and business deductions and a flat rate (OK, I'm oversimplifying). Also helps to think about the code as following the lifecycle of a corporation, formation, operation, distributions, liquidations/sale/merger. Finally, consult Bittker & Eustace, Federal Income Taxation of Corporations and Shareholders if you would like more depth on any aspect. This has long been regarded as the definitive corporate tax treatise. Your school library should have a copy or should be able to get it.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Reorgs come up all the time. Kinda depends on your practice, I guess. Anyway, the distributions stuff youre talking about are probably the section 302 and 304 rules designed prevent using redemptions and related party sales in order to convert distributions that are essentially equivalent to a dividend into transactions taxed as sales or exchanges that allow recovery of basis (there also used to be a rate differential before 1(h)(11)).

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, pays well, not as well as biglaw, but that ship has sailed for me. I think my quality of life is probably slightly better than in a law firm, but client service kinda sucks regardless. I guess most work does, I suppose.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

PwC? I recognize that bonus structure lol. I left B4 2 years ago to return to a midsize firm, its cool in some ways since I have a realistic shot at partner in the next 2 years, but I miss the sophisticated clients. I get a lot more facetime with clients, but now I'm trying to build a practice and business case and the stress is real. COVID ain't helping.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

True, to an extent. The people in Bangalore are generally chartered accountants and quite smart in their own right. I'm a lawyer, so I think of tax primarily as law. Its how I justify the LLM to myself haha.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

this is why I like having private equity clients who decided it would look unseemly to take PPP loans with a few billion AUM.

Also, anyone ever work at the US PE group at EY in London? Recruiter messaged me on LinkedIn and now I got a call tomorrow to talk it over. Basically the same job I have now, but in London, which could be sick.

That sounds cool, assuming they pay enough so you can afford to live in London! Closest I came was third round interviews for a similar position in Hong Kong with KPMG, but I asked for too much money and they went away.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, that seems low. I asked for 160k (this was three years ago), which was too much lol, but I wouldn't make that move for less than 120k, but again I don't really know the market in the UK.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Historically Ireland was a lynchpin in global tax planning, mainly IP, and as a result there was a good amount of tax work in Dublin. BEPS, EU regulations, and US tax "reform" have changed this somewhat, but it may still be a good option. I am in international tax (US), and the position I was looking at was as a local US tax desk resource in Hong Kong. My role would have been to assist Hong Kong and Chinese clients with investments and business expansion into the US from China/Hong Kong. Big 4 firms maintain local country tax desks in NYC and a few other places, depending on local needs. This is very hard to get if you are not a manager or director at a big four firm locally to begin with. You probably need to find a niche or a 100% remote job to make it work. That said, I don't know what I don't know, so may be worth asking around on expat boards, etc.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Very true, once you get a few years of public (especially big 4) on your resume, you'll get a lot of attention from recruiters on Linkedin. They vary wildly in quality, but as long as you are interested in the positions they are pitching, its not a bad option. That said, if you just want to switch firms and stay in public, you can do it yourself without them pretty easily, I prefer to work with the in house HR people over recruiters, but both work. My reservations with recruiters is that they can give you the hard sell for whatever position they are trying to fill, regardless of your interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Work product from offshore support teams is generally poor, but that comes down to engagement management and the nature of the business model. Frankly, I think it was a bad idea in the first place for all the firms to jump into India, but I'm expected to use the teams in India, so I do. The only way to make it work is to manage the prep team as though they were your associates in the same office - calls to kick off, calls to review, frequent check ins, and above all, retaining the same team from year to year.