Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I thought this thread would be the best place to ask this rather than start an entirely new thread.

I've noticed this thread has been very US/Canada-heavy, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I would have any chance of breaking into a Big 4 through their graduate programmes in the UK?

They say like like graduates from all backgrounds so long as they have very basic requirements fulfilled (i.e. good maths and English scores at the GCSE level; a good undergraduate degree in any subject). Is this all bullshit? They say they are just looking for smart people they can train, but my education is not in Accounting at all (undergrad in History; postgraduate degree in Economic History). For my postgraduate degree, I got a distinction/1st from LSE, so that's about the only selling point on my CV - otherwise I have no internships or any sort of experience in the field, and no accountancy education. Am I in the situation where I need not apply? Do any UK accountant goons know anything about these Big 4 graduate programmes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Halisnacks posted:

I thought this thread would be the best place to ask this rather than start an entirely new thread.

I've noticed this thread has been very US/Canada-heavy, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I would have any chance of breaking into a Big 4 through their graduate programmes in the UK?

They say like like graduates from all backgrounds so long as they have very basic requirements fulfilled (i.e. good maths and English scores at the GCSE level; a good undergraduate degree in any subject). Is this all bullshit? They say they are just looking for smart people they can train, but my education is not in Accounting at all (undergrad in History; postgraduate degree in Economic History). For my postgraduate degree, I got a distinction/1st from LSE, so that's about the only selling point on my CV - otherwise I have no internships or any sort of experience in the field, and no accountancy education. Am I in the situation where I need not apply? Do any UK accountant goons know anything about these Big 4 graduate programmes?

No one ever responded to this, which I guess indicates there are not many British accounting goons here.

I got an interview with a Big 4 in London for a Public Sector Audit position leading to an ACA. As I'm completely out of my depth, can any goons offer advice on preparing for the interview? What to expect, what they are looking to hear, etc.? I would be very grateful. :)

Halisnacks fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 20, 2010

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I was going to post this elsewhere but thought I'd find the advice of accountancy/finance professionals most useful as you'd likely see where I'm coming from.

I'm about to resign from my current employer and my notice period (2 months) means that my last day will basically be the day the busy period starts. (Our year end - I work in industry.) I honestly would put off resigning by 6 weeks to help them through it if I could, but my new job will start the Monday after my notice period concludes.

I'm part of a small reporting team that produces the annual report/group financial statements and year end involves a lot of really late nights and weekends even when we are fully staffed. Two months notice isn't really enough time to hire a replacement, and budgets are super tight that I don't think they'll be able to get a contractor to replace me either (though I guess that's none of my business).

Has anyone resigned just before busy season before, and does it completely mess up your reference? I've worked here for three years and wouldn't like to throw a good reference away due to timing... I'll obviously work throughout my notice period and dutifully hand things over, draft process notes, etc., but I feel it's one of those things that people will naturally (if not rationally) hold against me for leaving my colleagues in a tight spot and contributing to them having a shittier work/life balance for a few weeks.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I should mention I'm in a country where three months' notice is the norm and so any potential replacement who is in employment probably couldn't join in time to make my colleagues' lives any easier.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Three of Clubs posted:

Out of curiosity, which country has a 3 month normal notice period?

If you're giving less notice than the normal notice period, yes you may be burning a bridge.

By the normal notice period, I mean the notice period built into the average contract of a qualified accountant (not all employees). This is in the UK.

My contract stipulates I am on two months' notice, so I'd be leaving earlier than my team would expect I could as everyone assumes everyone is on three. But it would not be a breach of contract.