Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viriatha
Feb 5, 2010
I've read the entire thread and given the OP's original question the focus for accounting seems to be on having it as your main career and working for yourself or a firm of some sort. I have a related question. What are your options if you want to do this part time?

I want to be an artist but I don't want to suffer "Starving Artist Syndrome". Having a part time job would allow me to support my art habit but still leave me time and energy to work on that art where a full time job probably would not, given the hours I've seen quoted here. I enjoy number games and do math for fun.

Would going to college and learning this skill be of any use to me? Are there even any part time positions available anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viriatha
Feb 5, 2010

hellboundburrito posted:

I'd say your options are limited, but you do have options. On the tax side, you could do temp work somewhere during tax season or work for a tax franchise such as H&R Block. You could also look at accounting staffing firms such as Accountemps and see if there is a position available where you're not working full time. Various companies also might have positions available where there is less than full time need, particularly in the bookkeeping area, although in general I'd say this is rare. Also, some firms might be interested in hiring you on a reduced schedule basis although this too would be rare.

That makes it worth taking the time to track down a career counselor at the school and asking about the subject. Thanks, appreciate the information.