Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

My tax prep boss was interested in offering me a full time financial position. What could I do to maximize my chances of turning my current occupation to that full time non profit accounting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

So far in my experiences of doing taxes from intake, to filing, to quality review is I need to improve my vetting skills to make sure I sit down and tell clients how their taxes are working.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

My face when they tell me it's a simple return. And then it's a person's entire stock portfolio, mortgage and itemized deductions in every possible category recognized by the American Internal Revenue Service. And they forgot to give any personal information to contact them for anything missing. I really need to make sure to do better to make things easier for myself and associates.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 7, 2023

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

My coworkers and I are planning to get our CTech certs. Is there anything we should be aware of to ensure we pass the courses and my prospects in tax and accounting?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

OKAY BUT CAN I AT LEAST FINISH MY CMA EXAMS FIRST

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Azrial posted:

No one cares about a CMA, they never have.

Wait really :( but I got a scholarship and all

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

On last weeks of job due to season being nearly over. Hoping I get hired in house. If not I at least get the joy of having both live tax experience for poor people and working accounting for higher up corporations. If I can leverage it right I can even make sure my future CMA and CPA will go well.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Gabriel Grub posted:

My season is still just starting because we're on the extended June 15 deadline here, but ProConnect is loving killing me this year. They want $95 per return for about 30 returns, which with the horrible exchange rate these days, is more like $130 from my perspective. It used to be $45.

I'm not sure what the strategy here is. Run small guys like me out of business to drive my clients into the arms of TurboTax? I'm more likely to just switch to Drake than give up altogether, although I'd really rather not change software, especially in the middle of tax prep season.

There were promotional emails earlier but the codes didn't work and they refuse to honor them.

Wow that is absolutely criminal.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Trying to shake off depression of last weeks of job before I gotta job hunt again.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Wait there's a strike?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Rip I had an interview with a few cpas. I ended up filling up an accounting test. Hope that doesn't mean anything and I gdt the job.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Going on the accounting job grind again. Hopefully get lucky. So far been trying to be nice and honest and willing to learn.

Just wanna finally have a mentor to show me the ropes and get paid for that.

Got a handful of interviews lined up on my last week of work with this nonprofit. Hoping that it all works out. Gods I'd rather be sleeping in or studying for my CMA/CPA but responsibility comes first.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 9, 2023

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

On last day of job. Hoping that I will get new job soon. Been applying fof accounting many times and so far only got a few interviews.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Been hearing from companies that they prefer contract to hire for accounting? Is this true or a lie? I don't want to work contract for a 1099 and end up paying more in taxes alongside no unemployment.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

black.lion posted:

youve heard companies prefer to hire accountants on a contract basis? or are you asking if its cheaper for a company to hire contractors vs employees? trying to parse your phrasing

I have heard from recruiters that companies prefer to hire accountants through contract to hire. Is this true?

Honestly I would rather go for a different better position and already have, just wanted to check to make sure.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Been getting unlucky so far with job offers week 4. Got any tips to make the waiting for the job offers easier?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Zarin posted:

Whenever I get antsy about hearing back, I take my mind off of it by filling out another one, two, or however many it takes for my brain to feel like it did something and shut up.

This also stuffs the pipeline so if you hear back with the answer you didn't want, there are more in queue :v:

It is a soul-sucking process though; not sure that I can help with that part :(

Thanks for condolences

Good Citizen posted:

Do you have a LinkedIn and any recruiter contacts? Ideally you let them do the work for you.

To answer your actual question, kindle unlimited is a pretty good deal if you appreciate vast piles of mediocre genre fiction and Diablo 4 comes out Thursday

Yeah both indeed and linkedin and a lot of recruiters. Yeah gaming has helped stave off the crippling depression.

PatMarshall posted:

You're looking specifically for industry roles, correct? Not considering public? I can only really help with public, but if you're CPA eligible, it's just a numbers game, you will find a job, just keep sending out your resume. Check LinkedIn, decent source for job postings. Looking for work sucks regardless though. I always go half insane, working out helped a little last time around.
Yeah been looking for industry roles. I don't know how to apply for public accounting. I mainly been just applying to whatever accounting job shows up on "accounting near me."

EDIT: Feeling stupid I keep fumbling these accounting assessment tests these companies keep giving me.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 31, 2023

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Zarin posted:

Are you willing to relocate?

Can't relocate stuck living with parents. So Cal housing and rent rear end.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Wednesday another interview down and Robert half representativr helping me out. Please world I just want my new job.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Covok posted:

It doesn't matter. I just got an offer for 90k at a local business pending a background check and drug test that was with a company that I was interested in.

WOOHOO

BEST OF LUCK WITH THE JOB COVOK. WE BELIEVE IN YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I got another chance working with Apple one. Hopefully this one lets me get more work.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

3 months unemployed. I can’t catch a break why can't I get anything in socal? I had to take 3 days off anything just so I can stop breaking down over my inability to advance my career.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

19 o'clock posted:

Same but Denver. Solidarity :smith:

What scares me now is taking a position that ends up being a mistake on account of just needing to work. I’m staying optimistic that I’ll find something cool and/or a cool team to work with.

I believe you can make it. And get the cozy job where you can do things like shitpost on something awful on one hand and filing out audits in the other, or whatever you're specializing in.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

mojo1701a posted:

Well, I can officially post this good news. Took me forever to log in, but: I have successfully passed CPA's Common Final Exam.

All I need now is to get my experience verified, but for now I'm going to solicit recommendations on something that requires me to call an LCBO employee with a key.

Congratulations on making it mate

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

19 o'clock posted:

ugh. 4 rounds and didn't make it. woof.

Sorry to hear that mate :(

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

More and more job rejections.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I GOT STAFFF ACCOUNTANT JOB FOR HOTEL INDUSTRY

I CAN FINALLY NOT BE POOR

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Currently waiting out the background check. Hopefully it all goes well. Any tips regarding hotel accounting? Or same as any other industry?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Currently making it through the week. Learning the new invoice software, cash counting and how to do check runs. So far nothing seems entirely outside what I learned in school. Hopefully I can keep training and do good!

EDIT: Finished Check Run. Dang am I making far too many typos. Thankfully the controller and accountants were able to tell me out to make revisions to fix things.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 22, 2023

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I is very slow atm in accounting and cash counting. Need to speed up and increase accuracy.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Second week done. Got paid 800+ dollars for my work. I am feeling really good. I hope to be able to keep doing a good job at AP long enough to get promotions, better pay and eventually be able to live on my own. In California. So far the tips everyone is giving me about doing research to make sure my reports are accurate have helped. Though I admit I am nervous about being in charge of ap of a whole section. That and the pace of my work. I am getting work done and clearing up the backlogs of stuff I get but I'm starting to get more and more disorganized with more things piling up like rebills, ap, check runs, pending invoices and cash counts.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Made an rear end of myself at work. Need to do better in front of bosses.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

My boss (president) misused the term shibboleth in a board meeting and I muttered that’s not what it means loud enough 2 board members heard me.

Oof. I ended up fumbling an invoice by working on a statement with no invoice given, then got commented on my lack of organization and implied lack of work output.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

Aren’t you ~3 weeks in? There’s a long runway before learning experiences flip over to mistakes.

Yeah this is my third week on my first real accounting job.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Another day done. Was able to post more correct work this time despite myself

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

19 o'clock posted:

I almost blew up Christmas payroll for over 400 employees one year

get on my level!

Okay pls explain how that happen

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Side note when do I loving learn to get all the work done on time.

This end of the month stuff with all these statements and incomplete orders and other things are driving me to madness. Please I just wanna stop loving up in front of my bosses and start loving up in less painful ways.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

19 o'clock posted:

You’re doing AP work, yes?

It’s a mad hustle. AP is a busy position with several stakeholders to each transaction. I haven’t done it myself (we always had dedicated AP people) and I gotta believe it’s practice and organization and practice and more practice.

If you can identify/quantify the major time sinks I would ask your boss about how they foresee you getting on top of those pain points so you can finish your work accurately and on time. At the very least you are giving them a heads up that you are feeling busy and want to get better at it all. They’ll appreciate the heads up rather than being surprised if something is wrong/late/incomplete later on.

Yeah I been at least good at owning up to my mistakes. Also gently caress missed the supervisor by seconds. Running 3 properties at end of month so tiring.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Weirdest part is how the time flies so fast during accounting. I'm just utterfly flabbergasted at how I spend all day on invoices and somehow I'm unable to notice the seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Closing multiple accounts
Closing ends tomorrow.
I don't know if I can close them all.
I am feeling very very tired