Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What are the actual chances of going full time from temp to fulltime accounting jobs?

Also, would it be a bad idea to post a redacted verision of my resume and cover letter to see if I'm loving up there?

Also, I'm mostly using indeed, ziprecruiter, robert half and other job boards like that. Is that a bad idea? I did go to every Big 4, mid-sized, and bank and apply to them directly first.

Also, I've been including a cover letter and I usually connect with the recruiter on Linkedin. I thought that was a good idea, a lot of people suggested as much, but I was always iffy on it.

Also, I've been getting recruiting companys trying to get my attention. You know, those ones who try to get you a job. But, I don't know a good name to go with and the ones calling me usually have pretty bad online reviews. Am I being dumb in being sheepish with that stuff? To be clear, they aren't offering particular jobs, just their service.

Also, I've been pretty much just gunning for an accounting job. I've opened up my window somewhat, but it's usually in that venue. That a bad idea?

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Doobie Keebler posted:

I can give you the insight from my company. I work in a 15 person internal finance department for a 100 person bank-industry company. We have brought in temp "consultants" from companies like AccounTemps and they rarely get hired full time. Usually its cheaper for a company to pay the fee without paying the benefits of an employee. They come in for a few months to help clean things up and we shift the workload a bit until we don't need them. It has happened that someone blows us away and we all like them and they get an offer but its rare. Because of that I wouldn't make a career out of temp accounting but its great for that in-between-jobs period to get a paycheck and keep the resume from having empty time while you're looking for a job.

If you're working a temp position and hoping to make it permanent then sit down with your supervisor and tell them that. I was in a temp-to-perm position and my recruiter never told them that I'd be interested in staying on full time. It didn't work out but I was annoyed when the manager was surprised I wanted to stay. Work really hard, never let them see you browsing the internet, and always ask for more work when you get downtime. Plus sometimes if you're super busy you can get overtime and make a few extra bucks.

I always go to recruiters to look for jobs. They do all the legwork at no cost to you. You can have more than one working for you at the same time, you just have to communicate to them which company the other is sending your resume to. My only issue was that I rarely got interviews at large companies. If you want to work at Comcast or Verizon or something huge you might have to find out specifically who they use as a recruiter. Also don't lie about your skills to a recruiter. I had one interview me then sit me down at a computer and do a 10 question Excel/accounting test.

Alright, then I'll go after more of these temp-to-full time gigs. I'm not officially let go yet due to a perk of my departure (got to technically remain hired for a long while) so it will at least plug up any gaps in my resume.

In the meantime, I'll research a good recruiter and get them hunting for me. Anyone got suggestions in New York City for a good guy to recuriter? I know it does matter who you get.

drat, now I feel I just wasted time being a dunce. You know, ironically, getting a job out of college kind of left me unprepared for how utterly making GBS threads job hunting really is.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I think I keep "stumbling" on the salary expectation question. What I do is I ask for a range that is a reasonable increase from my previous salary. I don't really want to take a paycut because it'd be selling myself short. I was a good worker, had a good grades, have good experience in the field, ran my own business for a time, and the such. What is a reasonable expectation for your salary post-Big 4? I go for one that is a range that basically goes from a 1% to 3% from my previous base salary, usually with a mention that I'm my flexible.

For the record, I made what was average for a person with my qualifications at the company: 69K/year before benefits and other compensation. I work and seek work in an area that has a high cost of living.

Due to a lack of work available in my department, I was let go by my company after only 1 year. I've only "officially" been out of work since the end of July.

Covok
May 27, 2013

taqueso posted:

I don't know what an accountant should get paid, but check out the negotiating thread. The title is a reference to the thread's advice not use give a range. I wouldn't tell them I am flexible, either, they should already be assuming some flexibility given that you are negotiating something. If this is them asking before interviews then don't give a figure at all.

I didn't know that existed. Thank you!

Covok
May 27, 2013

jaymm posted:

When I left Big 4, I got a 16% salary bump. This was about standard from what I heard anecdotally. As you were let go, this is a bit trickier but the minimum increase I'd ask for is 10%. It's well known industry (assuming that's what you're going for) pays at least that much more than Big 4.

Really? That much more?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kitchner posted:

Do people in the US not advertise salary ranges with jobs or something? Like in the UK i can just search online and look at salary ranges and find roughly what any job pays.

Depends. Since I live near a large metropolitan area, a lot of them do Post salaries and I can search by them, but a lot also don't and say nothing on the matter and then you have to argue with them and then they act surprised when you thought you were worth more and act offended if you decide to go with another offer. I guess they just thought that they controlled you or something. And not that the Labour Market is a market where the employees the product and the employer is the buyer and therefore the employee actually has a say in their selling price. A simple economic concept that's lost due to narcissism and a desire to feel as if you can own another.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I just got contacted out of the blue by a local company that was trying to go from Pen & Paper 2 digital and I think the interview went great. I'm looking forward to a reply. I think I did a great job of selling myself and really getting across how valuable I was an employee. I do like how the person even said that I have less experience in some of the other people but that he loved the experience that I did have and felt I was a good fit due to it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

jaymm posted:

I will say, while salaries are not posted, big 4 salaries are pretty widely known within the respective industries in a given city center so offers will take that into account. I left two months after hitting senior and my offer was lower because my new company knew that I just got promoted and thus knew I was only making my higher salary for a month.

For reference, I was in the alternatives group in NYC.

To follow up, if someone said that to me, I'd decline the offer and tell them that I will look for employment elsewhere. I mean, you were still working so you can easily justify waiting it out for a better offer.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm starting to get a little shook about how hard it has been for me to get a job.

I have Big 4 experience and a lot of other stuff and I really haven't got any bites.

I had an interview but I never got a call back from them. A recruitment company that has a specific job in Connecticut contacted me but never got back to me. I believe that job existed because they actually gave me the job description and the company name. They call me by phone, we did an interview, I sent my information, the implied in the interview they need to get back to me later for more stuff and nothing so far.

I had a phone interview with another company over in Long Island and that went really well. But I haven't heard anything back from them either and it's been a while.

Outside of that, I haven't gotten anything back from all the resumes I put out and keep putting out.

And I'm not the only one that starting to get a little worried too. One thing that certainly doesn't help a person like me is that some of my family is starting to get worried and are not subtle at hiding it.

My last day of work was July 27th. It's almost been a month. And I've been looking for a long time before that. Since I was told in May that this was going to happen. So this is the result of a three-month long job searching even if I've only been out of work for one month.

Something is clearly wrong with me.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I got an interview with REYNOLDS + ROWELLA. LLP in New Canaan. Gonna be quite a trek there, but they found my resume, said they're willing to pay 70,000-75,000/year with benefits, the area is low crime, and I already found an apartment within 12 minute drive for 600/month.

Anyone know anything about this company or that office?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

He got cut 8 months into his first Big 4 gig.

You need to look broadly. Public is not the only option.

I've been looking broadly and been giving a lot of things a try. I haven't pigeon-holed myself. It's more just who is responding which is not that many people. Also, turns out the CT thing won't work out since the company decided to go "wait, we want someone with more experience, forget the interview" this morning.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I got a call today from someone who said they work for a CPA firm and was looking for a temp to handle the next busy season. He was dodgy on giving the name, but gave me the address. I agreed to an interview. I've been out of work since August. On unemployment. I look up the address and...it's an H&R Block.

So, like, how bad is that going to be? I'll go to the interview and, if its for the next busy season, my unemployment would be running out about that time so it's probably worth a paycheck. But, like, what am I looking at here?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Moneyball posted:

What's keeping you from better work?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Also, I might just cancel that's how bad it is. The only problem is that people are yelling at me to take it because " it will count as experience." A little bit of advice, never open up to a family member about your job troubles. Especially your parent. They will know absolutely nothing about your field and will demand you take any job. I'm 90% certain this wouldn't even count as work experience for the jobs I normally go for.

Covok fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 1, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Moneyball posted:

I read your back posts in this thread and looks like you've had your ups and downs like I've had. At least you were originally hired by one of the Big 4. I can't even get a small CPA firm to hire me.

You're in CT, right? There might not be as many opportunities as where I am in Boston, or down in NY, but there should be enough jobs out there. You're working the temp agencies and networking, right?

I've turned down a number of invitations to apply for a position because I'm busy with grad school/the CPA now and they are private accounting or AR jobs, but if I had the credits and exams done, I would be aggressively applying. I wouldn't work for HR Block at this point. Even less of a chance if I had your background.

Yeah, I'm not going to work there. Like I said earlier, the phonecall went "hey, I work for this CPA firm and we're looking for people" and he was dodgy on the name. Wouldn't know it was H&R block if I didn't check myself. I'll attend the interview to be polite since its not far, but I don't really plan to work there. It's 8 USD/hr and it won't count as experience, especially not more so than my prior experience. Unless someone who knows more can convince me otherwise, I'm not gonna do it.

As for where I like, I don't live in CT. I live on Long Island. I've been trying to get work. I don't know what's going on. I'm working with a lot of temp agencies, I've put out my resume like 30 times a week to a lot of job opportunities, and I got good experience and I've had people look over my resume a lot of times, but I've only been one actual face-to-face interview. Got two phone interviews.

Nothing. No offers. It's insane, really.

I'm doing something wrong, but no one tells you poo poo. They just want to gently caress off and die. Fun fact: you don't get the job, the recruiting agency won't tell ya. They'll just stop taking your calls and assume you realize that means you didn't get the job.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Moneyball posted:

Do you have your 150 hours and the CPA completed? If that's your goal, I mean.

I have 150 hours and I am going to sit for the exam. I don't believe I have enough verified accounting work to actually get the license.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I am finally employed again! It's a bit of a pay cut, but it's 5 minutes from my house, includes health insurance, and seems to be a lot lighter than my old job. Frankly, I'm just happy not to be unemployed anymore. Also, my old job had a minimum of an hour and a half each way in transportation everyday and it often took longer. A 10-minute drive everyday to work is so much nicer.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'll be starting work again in 10 days. I'm a little worried that being out of work for about six months (only 3 offically) made me a bit rusty. Anyone know a good place to test your practical knowledge again? Like a good place to just do some sample returns to make sure that I haven't forgotten anything important and won't embarrass myself?

Covok
May 27, 2013

I did 5 phone calls today on the new tax bill and prepaying property taxes. I am on lunch now. Who wants to guess at the number of calls I'll have to follow-up on when I get back.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The answer was 6. 6 people I had to call back on their property taxes.

I got nothing done today.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Missing Donut posted:

It’s called billable hours. You got lots of things done.

(I’ve worked more this week between Christmas and New Year’s than I think I ever have. Make hay while the sun shines!)

My office doesn't do billable hours. Not my new one.

Covok
May 27, 2013

No, they said that your bill must be assessed in 2017. This simply means that the bill must be created before 2018. So, you can prepay things. You just have to have the bill already assessed. There's still a lot of people who can prepay. Hell, there was a lot of people who pay on January 10th normally and received a bill months ago. They are 100% an example A of the article you linked.

I remember actually having to send that article around the office.

And, regardless, most people probably don't even know the IRS has website. Even less would check it first before calling their accountant.

Edit: as another example, today, I got called by a guy who had his entire 2018 bill because he always gets it in November and payment is due in January and July. Because the bill was assessed before 2018 for the 2018 year, he can prepay it.

Also, Long Island is cut into so many townships that it's hard to when their bill is assesed. So you have to ask them if they know. If they have a bill already, then that's good. If they don't, you have to tell them to contact their Township and see if they assess in 2017 and didn't send out bills yet. Cuz that might still count. And, even before that, you have to check if they itemized in 2016, if they didn't itemize you have to check if they would if they did multiple payments in 2016, you have to make sure they're not subject to AMT, you have to make sure they would be above the threshold for salt, you have to check if their itemized would be eaten by the standard in 2018. I think that's it. And then you gotta explain it all because they want to know. You got to tell them the entire process of doing it, especially if they have their payments normally handled by their mortgage because that's requires them to send proof back to their Bank.

And, then, we have to explain that you can't tell them what their taxes will exactly be in 2018 because you'd basically have to do their entire tax return with no information. All you can say is that this will decrease their deductions, but there's no way of telling if the net will still be negative.

Then, we got to deal with them looking for reassurance is their taxes aren't going to go up by like $20,000 and this will require you to explained the nature of taxable income and tax brackets. Yes this happened multiple times that people kind of freaked out and I need to quickly explain to them that they would not see an increase in taxes of like $30,000. People, shockingly, really know their property taxes ( probably had the bill in front of them) and people around here pay a lot so some people's deductions would drop from by like 30000 to $50,000. I'm not joking. But, as we know, that's not increase in taxes, it's an increase of taxable income. I mean, it's still really bad for those people, but not as bad as they thought. And they're not all rich either. Some of them are middle-class and have this much taxes and seeing humongous increases in their taxable income like this.

And, you got a deal with them going on political rants. They will yell and yell and yell about Trump. I mean I hate Trump. It's not really a secret around here. But, I had just have to keep saying that I don't talk politics, specially at work, and essentially have to sit through it because I don't want to be rude to a client.

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 29, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

black.lion posted:

Hmm well this CPE sesh ive been in all day says otherwise but who knows its the wild west out here now

Barely

e:
"The conference agreement also provides that, in the case of an amount paid in a taxable year beginning before January 1, 2018, with respect to a State or local income tax imposed for a taxable year beginning after December 31, 2017, the payment shall be treated as paid on the last day of the taxable year for which such tax is so imposed for purposes of applying the provision limiting the dollar amount of the deduction.  Thus, under the provision, an individual may not claim an itemized deduction in 2017 on a pre-payment of income tax for a future taxable year in order to avoid the dollar limitation applicable for taxable years beginning after 2017.”

https://www.eisneramper.com/reform-prepayment-1217/

http://www.tennlaw.com/12/prepaying-state-and-local-taxes-in-2017/

In conclusion, who the gently caress knows

Update one actually says that it could be a viable strategy. And the IRS website actually it says they will honor those prepayments according to their own article. Which is what we were going off of. I didn't know about the section in the bill. I read it over, but it's a very long bill. But, it looks it is even disagreement amongst the article writer, according to that first update.

Edit: upon closer examination, that says income tax, not property taxes.

Edit: also, the Governor sent out an order to the tax offices to accept prepayments and there's actually legal confusion over whether or not this can count as an assessment. There's expectations this legal battle will go until next year. So, it is a very confusing situation.

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 29, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

black.lion posted:

Full text doesnt limit to income tax tho, per update 2 that lists the full text of the bill

"For purposes of subparagraph (B), an amount paid in a taxable year beginning before January 1, 2018, with respect to a State or local income tax imposed for a taxable year beginning after December 31, 2017, shall be treated as paid on the last day of the taxable year for which such tax is so imposed."

Sub para B doesnt specify income tax from property or sales, just references the aggregate 10k cap

Good thing this was so thoroughly analyzed and considered before becoming law :suicide:

No, clarifies right there in the parts I bolded. It clearly says it only applies to State and local income tax.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I got to say that getting fired from KPMG and getting hired by the small local firm is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I like my co-workers at KPMG, but I never really knew my bosses. There is so many people and so many hi rops that I didn't really know who I I worked for. I was fired to cut costs. No one ever say anything nice to me. Everything was very mercenary. And the hours were ridiculous.

Now, I work with just eight other people and the boss is constantly telling me how he appreciates the work I do and the effort I put in and it's telling me to take time off while I still can and enjoy myself and thanks me for all the effort I put in and the excellent work that I'm doing. It's a little bit more chaotic because I have to do a lot of work a secretory would normally have to do on top of my own work, but the hours are great 9-4 when it isn't busy season and 9-7 when it is and we don't work later than 7 because my boss doesn't think people are productive after that hour.

That's pretty loving nice.

He is a little rough. I didn't get as much as I used to. No one wants to hire a guy who only worked one year and didn't have a CPA or is currently working, so pricing wasn't as easy to negotiate as I thought.

But, I know literally live 10 minutes away from my job. I used to have to commute 1 hour and a half to work and even more to get back. Now I only drive 10 minutes. I go home for lunch and dinner!

This is loving nice.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Also, the level of tech skill has gone down a lot relative to myself. At KPMG, I got mocked for inefficient coding and other such technical in efficiencies. Now, I'm literally the smartest guy in the room when it comes to tech and everyone relies on me to do technology related tasks.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I've never had huge firm experience but I really appreciate my small firm experience. For the most part my work is really appreciated and I work very closely with my boss. My hours are incredible, my standard workweek is 37.5 hours and I only have to put in extras every so often. I too live like 10 minutes from work and it really makes the world of difference.

I'm starting up a job search now and hopefully I can stay with something small again because I really think the quality of life is awesome.

Yeah, I really do like how appreciated my work is. Even with some of the hiccups that I ran into, my boss is verbally said this is my first year doing individual and not to worry about it. He's such a nice guy. And the same could be said about everyone.

My big sticking point though is that none of the client's trust me. Especially the 1040EZ guys. I get their Actual taxes done in like 5 minutes. Then I spend like a few extra minutes in the meeting going over some deductons, even though I know they're not going to breach the standard, just to give them their money's worth. Try to find them some above-the-line, and that sort of thing. I can't give them the refundable credit. I will go over it with them and put it in if they're qualified, but I'll hand it off to somebody else because I'm so new that I'm at the risk of being audited if I actually give it out under my name simply because of how open to fraud it is.

And yet, the 1040EZ guys will argue constantly that they expected more with the refund. More than once I have had to hand it off under their request to someone else only for my colleague to say that I did everything right. Because it's a loving 1040EZ. And I try to explain things. I go line-by-line with them in a two-year comparison and try to point out exactly what is changing their refund.

"Well, your incoming doubled, but everything else is pretty much stayed the same including your withholdings. This is what is driving down your refund as withholdings is the basis for it. Your taxes went up, you're withholding stayed the same, basically and you can see that the here."

One guy gave me poo poo when he didn't even have any withholdings. He wondered why he owed money. Because he didn't have any withholdings. He didn't have any withholdings. And he definitely had enough income where he should have had withholdings. What magic do you expect me to do? You don't have kids, you don't have to student loans, you don't have medical deductions, you don't have anything.

The worst is this when this guy gave me poo poo for like an hour and then admitted he had no money. I asked my boss what to do, and I'm still laughing he told me to tell a guy to go to H&R Block. That felt pretty good after the poo poo that client put me through.

Ironically, the corporations have been very easy to work on, even when I had to amend this terrible 2016 return that the customer tried himself. It was his initial year and he put his corporation on a schedule C so we had to amended. But those definitely go easier cuz even when you have bad news, they trust that you know what you're doing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Man I hate my clients but they’re all giant PE firms so at least you can reason with their tax people who are generally former Big 4/regional people.

Individual work sounds like hell. I would have been fired by now if I was you for screaming “use TurboTax” at them.

"So, having put in your W-2 and include all your deductions, you're looking at a refund of about this on the federal level and I'll show you the state in a moment."

"That can't be right. Last year I got $900. I made much more money so I should get a lot more in my refund."

"Well, you're making back $1,200. That is an increase. However, it's really based on your withholdings. As I can go through with you and show you, your income went up, but your withholding must have went up to match it and your deductions remained the same. The difference between your withholding and your taxes is your refund. With your income and withholdings going up, and your deductions remaining the same, it makes sense you would get a refund at this amount. Let me bring up the worksheet."

"BUT, my fiance made less than me and she's getting back $1,700!!!"

"Well, I can't really talk about her situation without seeing it. Chances are her business simply withheld her money differently. Perhaps she was entitled to a credit you weren't entitled to. There are a lot of factors at play, and I can't really say why from this alone, but I can assure you your taxes were done correctly and this is the federal refund that you're entitled to."

"But, my fiance...!"

His fiance who literally in the room with us: " your business just withheld differently. Also I work for a school, that might give me special deductions."

"There is a teacher supply deduction of about $500, but I don't know if you would have qualify for it but it is possible. Like I said I can't comment on your tax situation without any documents."

"But, I made more than her. That means I should get more refund!!!"

*cue this for 20 minutes*

"So, how will you be paying for this today?"

" I don't have any money. Can't you just take it out of my refund?"

"Sorry, we don't do that here. Company policy. We've had some problems with that in the past. So we changed the policy. I apologize, but it's simply how we do business. You don't have to pay today, but you will need to pay before we send out anyting."

"Can't you intentionally overdraft my account? You'll still get paid!"

Boss IM: " tell him to go to H&R Block"

"Sir, there are other individuals can do your accounts. Such as H&R Block. I do believe they have a program where you only have to pay for your state return as you have a 1040EZ."

"What? you don't want my business?"

"All I'm saying is that there are other people who could do your taxes."

"Well, I'm taking your pens before I go"

"Have a good day sir."

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 4, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Trying to get all these corps either out or on extension is killing me.

Just sign the loving papers you idiots! Just sign a paper or loving leave! Don't ignoring me and then of course blame me even though I sent a bunch of emails!

And sales tax is next week.

Covok
May 27, 2013

You have another 32 days, try partnerships binch

Corp deadline is march 15th.

Covok
May 27, 2013

My dude you’re living in 2016. C corps aren’t due until April 17. S corps are due Thursday but who has an S Corp and not an LLC?

All my corporare clients are S-Corps. I'm not even joking. All my corporate clients are S-Corps.

I have no idea why it's so common in this area.

Well, actually I think I know why: most are older clients who probably made it an S-Corp when it was still sensible to do that. Hell, half of them are closing down left and right because the people are retiring.

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 14, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Moneyball posted:

Mods?!

Also, this thread could use a better title. You're accounts, so you're a creative lot. Any suggestions?

File form 1077-B To Request A Career Change

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm just gonna bitch about this:

If you take a box of returns after work hours that I was working on without telling me, don't be surprised if there are errors on them.They weren't done. If they were done, I would have sent them back to the other office. Yeah, if you just take them before I give the okay, then, yes, there might be some errors. It's almost like, you know, I was still working on them. It's not like I had that box for a while.

Also, if someone calls to go "when you're doing review, check that box extra closely: it was sent over before I was done with them" replying with "they're a few errors in them, try to cut down on them: look them over first" is a dumb response. I literally just loving said I was going to do that but you took them before I had the chance.

Also, you should tell me you did this eventually. I shouldn't have to find out that box is a whole new set of returns from a co-worker late the next day. If no one tells me the box was replaced and its in the exact same spot, I'm not going to notice unless I go to work on them. And you know I'm busy doing all the corporate returns because I'm the guy in the office who handles all the corporate returns. All of them. You know, since I was hired from the Big 4 and have a lot of experience doing them (that's the official reason, but these corporate returns are SUPER different form the hedge funds I worked on that I basically had to re-learn everything). So, I might not touch them for a while. I never said I had the capacity or time to take another box. You just did that without asking.

If you take an identical box of identical returns because everything is standardized and put in the exact same place, I'm not going to know it's gone.

It's not like this is normal procedure, after all. I'm helping a sister office with their returns. We're literally inventing procedure as we go. As evidenced by the fact that we've changed our rules on things like 3 times since we started trying to help the sister office, going from "do almost the entire thing" to "actually, do everything up to the final review because we don't want them to get confused what office we're at: just call them to ask questions if they come up" to "don't call them at all, we don't want people to think multiple people are working on their return, just write the questions down and we'll look them over."

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 15, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

I learned today that, apparently, my position was "always" a temporary position meant to last only one busy season, even though my offer letter says otherwise.

I already got an interview scheduled for an associate accounting position, but, jeez, what a thing to pull.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Good Citizen posted:

Are you sure you don’t just, like, have bad BO or something??

Considering they opened the meeting by saying they were a small firm and they did this literally the day after busy season, and they only have like six full-time employees and I'm the newest one, I think they're one of those people who just hire dudes on and then can them once busy season is up to save on money. I was only hired like 3 weeks before busy season and they spent an entire time getting me up to speed.

Covok fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 21, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

I didn't realize PMs were a paid feature. Maybe because my reg date is a decade before yours (holy mother of Christ) I got them free and grandfathered in. Anyways all I wanted to say is that while this is my sixth tax season, this was my first season working 8am to midnight for two weeks straight. So that was pretty fun and miserable. Did you have any crypto clients this year?

That how it was when I was with KPMG. Especially on Fridays. I had a client at KPMG where they didn't need me at all during the day, but, at 5pm, they dumped work on me and I was working till 1, 2, 3 in the morning. My friend even did an all-nighter followed by a 1am shift once. He's still working there.

To be honest, though, this tax season SUCKED because I got a different first. See, I worked late at KPMG to avoid working weekends. My last employer, because we did meetings, had a schedule of 9-8 M-Th, 9-5 Fri-Sat. That's not bad. But, I HATED having only one day off a week. It also meant that, if I had to come in on a weekend, I had no days off that week. That really ticked me off and I really wished I could do what I often did at KPMG and just stay late so I didn't have to do Saturday. I still worked some Saturdays at KPMG, but, if you're willing to work till 1am, you can usually keep them to yourself. I missed having two days to myself a week for those 3 months.

Now, I have too many to myself, but I'll get to that.

Yep, I had a few crypto clients. They gave me spreadsheets and I handled them as a capital gains/loss, respectively. There was some confusion, but not too much. It was simplier than we thought it could be, sans the times we went in deep on how it all worked.

What really sucked this season was this: On April 18th, the second I walked in, they called me into a meeting, said they are a small business, gave me a severance, and fired me. I didn't think of anything till I told my friends and family and other accountants and they all went "wait, they fired you the second busy season ended and they hired like right before busy season started? Dude, this was a temporary position and they lied through their arse to your face." And, honestly, I think they're right because, last year, they had a guy we'll call D who got let go at some nebulous time in the past and, before him, some guy we'll call Q. So, I think this fucker lies that this is a permanent position to get people with good resumes, uses them for 1 busy season, and fires their rear end the second busy season is over.

What a fucker!

Covok fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 3, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

The problem with Crypto is that each coin to coin transaction is a sale, so if someone has a sheet that says they traded some btc for some eth, you need to have the USD values of both for that exact date and time to figure out the sales price/basis in the new coin. There are SaaS sites that make this relatively easy (https://www.bitcoin.tax is the best one) but depending on what they have going on it can take hours just to get the data in a format where the SaaS can read it.

I'm actually the other way around. I'd so much rather work a Saturday or even the whole weekend than to stay that late. The last two weeks were 14 hour days straight, weekends included.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the dude just used you, which loving sucks. I had a similar situation at the beginning/end of my legal career (it didn't last long!). I had been working for a guy when I was in law school, and he had a big trial coming up right as I was about to enter bar study. Most people do not work during bar study, but he said I had a full time gig waiting for me after I got my results, and he could really use my help getting prepped for trial. So imagine my surprise, working for this guy while studying - which everyone says not to do - I arrive the Monday after my exam and I'm told I'm still part time hourly help until I get my results. I pass, top five percent of test takers (not that it matters but it's my one victory from this time period), guess what, still hourly help. Oh, and we don't need that much help anymore.

Well that guy's always going to be a small time lawyer and your guy is always going to be a small time accountant. You can get away with using people in most industries but I don't think it works in white collar/professional fields. At least that's what I'll tell myself.

Oh, they had a spreadsheet that told me the capital gains of every transaction he did. Oh gently caress, was I not supposed to use the summary at the bottom? He had a spreadsheet that recorded all that data, but did a summary of everything. They were all short-term, not reported so I thought I could do them all in a summary. No one else in the firm knew and basically said "your guess is as good as mine."

To each their own. I'm naturally a night owl so I like working late. I LOVE when everyone leaves the office, it gets quiet, and I can work without a phonecall, e-mail, client, or otherwise interrupting me. I sail through work when I am finally free of interruptions. I love having two days offer a week because it lets me pretend that I'm not being worked to death. It also allows me time to spend with my family and friend, sleep in, fix my sleep debt, and get poo poo-faced plastered drunk and have a day to sleep it off.

Also, that's rough. That's worse than what I got. I was just doing it as a full time job. I mean, I'm bitter because I did the thing of staying late, skipping lunches, coming in on Sundays, etc. etc. to try to keep my job. But having to do study and work to get a job that the lawyer was lying about is major bad. That really sucks, dude. I take sollace in the fact I did the company's taxes and bookkeeping and, well, this guy is not rockerfeller and I think I legitimately made more at KPMG than this guy makes in his salary.

Since the job openings are dying down, going to finally sit down and do the CPA. I meant to do it last year...then I lost my job and focused on the hunt. But I should do it now because, given my track record, if I stop every time I lose my job, I'll probably never pass it! Ha...ha....*sigh*

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

If the client figured his own gains (hopefully using one of those softwares and hopefully using FIFO) yeah, fine to do a summary.

2009 was like the worst year of my life. My mom died from some pills like a week before I finished school, then the bar exam and this rear end in a top hat giving me the runaround on the job thing. With the stress and grief I gained 90 lbs that year.

Do you have an EA at least? Do you ever do expat stuff?

I am not an Enrolled agent. I have not done any expatiate stuff. I atleast I don't think. I worked on line 700+ clients last busy season.

Also, phew. So, we're all good then. I suppose that, at the end of the day, two things: I don't work there anymore and he supplied me the spreadsheet.

Also, dude, that is loving awful. That's...man, dude, that loving sucks.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

That's.... a lot of loving clients. I didn't do half that much. I think people focusing on expat work probably do fewer returns overall - this was my busiest season to date and I've been doing this for 6 years now. But holy gently caress that's a lot of returns.

Well, a lot were 1040-EZ. But, like, every day, there'd be like 10-20 returns in the drop-off box. I'm probably overselling it. But there were a ton in the drop-off box every day, usualy 10 or so. Then the corporate clients. The the box of 20-30 returns I'd get from the other office.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

I've never done a 1040-EZ. How long does one take, out of curiosity? What does a CPA firm in the US charge for an EZ? I have to admit I'm a bit surprised anyone with an EZ would pay someone to help with it, but then again I've seen a bunch of dumb poo poo on self prepared returns.

A good day for me is 5 to 7 returns. I've had 10+ return days but I don't think I've ever done 20 in a single day. I do a lot of consultation calls as well. But still, seems like a lot of returns. Maybe I shouldn't be on SA so much.

Oh, and just to swing back to the other thing, and without spoilers - I've never been much of a Thor fan, either Odinson or Jane, but I did enjoy the last arc including the conclusion.

They take about, on average, 5 to 10 minutes, depending on if you go over your work. They're really, really easy....except people never give enough info so you usually have to call and go "did you have health insurance? Was it from the markerplace?" or something. We charged around 75 to 100 dollars for a 1040-EZ.

As for why people need you to do them...people are loving DUMB! Warning, I've been drinking. Anyway, I once had an rear end in a top hat in my office for 40 MINUTES bitching that he wasn't getting as much as "MY FIANCE~!" because he made more money and, therefore, should get more refund! Like, are you dumb motherfucker? Are you dumb? You're dumb! That's not how it works! Making more money means nothing! What were your witholdings!? I got told to go kill myself and yelled at for telling someone with 6 W-2s that they only withhold on 3 that, SHOCKER, they owed money.

I'm not joking when I say that the average person is a loving brainless moron when it comes to their own taxes. Like, they don't understand anything. I really mean anything. Some people get things, but most don't even understand what witholdings are!

People are dumb. They know they're dumb (somewhat). So they pay an accountant $100+ to make a 1040-EZ. Or they think we will use "accounting magic~!" and get them back 7 bajillion dollars in refund! Or they expect us to lie for them. I had to tell a lot of people we won't lie for them. We had to reject some clients who tried that. There were a lot.

As for the number of returns, complexity is what matters. The average American return is actually pretty quick and easy. You can get it done 100% correct in like 10 minutes. But some returns do take a lot of time to do. If you're returns are more complex, you can do less in a day. I worked on some really complicated returns that took weeks to finish because they were tied to multiple businesses. It just happens most were 1040-EZ so it was quick to fly through.

As for Thor, I took a chance when they did the Jane Foster switch. Stuck with it. And worked my way back. He's a SUPER COOL character and has an awesome history. Walter Simonson's Thor is a must read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

X-post from resume/interview thread because I think people might appreciate it here:

Had another interview today and I think it had the sketchiest question I've ever gotten in a job interview.

So, I got to this small firm. Maybe ten fulltime employees. I'm already a little down on the idea of the place because they want me to travel to the city on a semi-regular basis which is a lot for the salary requirements, reimbursed or not.

But, then they go "So, what do you think about clients putting personal expenses on their business accounts? When they try to right off their personal expenses as business expenses?"

So, I respond and say "Well, people tried to do that at my old job. When things looked off, I'd consult with the client. Sometimes, it was a personal expense and we handled it as a shareholder distribution or the equivalent so everything was in proper, legal compliance. Sometimes, it was a business expense and we could include it as such in good faith. But I always kept my eye out to make sure that we prepared accurate returns that I could feel comfortable sending off in good faith." Because I'm assuming he's trying to see if I'm aware of people trying to do that and ever had to look for and correct for it.

And then he goes "Well, right. But you do have to work with your client. You don't want to do anything you shouldn't, but we do tend to do aggressive positions here. And sometimes the client wants to take things they shouldn't even when you tell them otherwise. And you have to work with the client."

So, this is sounding like a big red flag so I just go "I'd handle things on the situation. I wouldn't do anything I couldn't prepare in Good Faith." For those who don't know, Good Faith is an accounting term that means, essentially, everyone is acting honestly, acting within the law, doing what they think they should be able to.

And then he goes "I just want to make sure what we do here wouldn't make you feel nauseous."

And now I'm just like this sounds loving sketchy. Because to translate, this just happened:

Him: "Hey, how do you feel about clients doing something illegal?"

Me: "I've had them try it before. I worked through it to make sure they didn't do illegal things."

Him: "Right, but sometimes we may do questionably legal things here because the clients want to."

Me: "I won't break the law or do anything illegal."

Him: "I was just checking because we totally do illegal poo poo here."

Like, that was basically the exchange.

That was the sketchiest loving interview that I've ever been on. I've been lucky for no one ever ask me to do something illegal before in accounting,. But, apparently, here they ask you to before you even get an offer!

Also, they were really pushy.

Like, they asked me if I could theoretically start tomorrow and went "well, I'll be honest with you, I do have other interviews scheduled and the such"

And they go "so, you just want to lay back and wait till it all pans out and weigh your options?"

So I go, "Well I wouldn't put it like that, but I do plan on taking the interviews I've scheduled."