Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I'm working on getting a degree in accounting. Put off college for a few years, figured out I liked the basics of accounting after taking a few classes and that it came quite naturally to me, but I haven't done anything particularly advanced yet- I've mostly been filling out the assorted adjacent requirements my college has for the degree in finance and the like. I'm already a little bit worried about being able to secure an entry level position, even though that's a problem for me a year and a half from now at minimum. I know there's supposed to be a lot of different intern programs, but I don't... particularly feel capable of working a job and going to school at the same time. I've tried it, historically, and it doesn't work for me if I'm doing anything more than 20 hours a week of work.

And also to the point, I am not Good at job searching. I know how to make a resume that's Good Enough and do applications on sites but that never seems to work out in a timely manner for anything other than retail or a job I had at the post office for a year. I know there's a whole world of recruiters out there and I have no idea how to begin poking into that.

Ideally I think I'd like to get a federal job in some capacity. I don't enjoy doing a rat race for positions or having to constantly be selling myself- I'd rather have something stable where I can just, Do The Job and maybe get a promotion whenever, as long as I have enough money to live off of I'm good.

Does anyone have advice on how to break into that sort of path, or a similar job? I'm considering seeing if I can at least get some bookkeeping work as an adjacent-enough relevant experience type thing.

Nea fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I'm not too late to pursue internship and that's something good to start setting up this fall. I'll still probably try to get some bookeeping work in if only because I have to support myself somehow between school semesters. I'm definitely more interested in industry/federal work than getting my CPA and doing public accounting. Thanks again!

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

How is the pay getting into govt accounting? I want to do that because my ideal job is to work exactly 40 hours a week, not a second more, and have a union, and that seems like the path for that. Is the pay alright? I know it obviously and assuredly varies heavily by what part of the govt you're in.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

I have two more semesters after this one left I believe, so two summers. I haven't been able to look for an internship this semester because frankly I've been in a huge funk mentally and passing my classes has used up all of my powers. Not to mention i don't have any interview clothes that fit right now on account of being a big gal and then gaining some weight last year.

Am I like, screwed for being able to get a job if I can't nail down an internship? My ideal path is working for the IRS or any other govt agency with a good union doing accounting rather than entering the private sector or getting a CPA.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Thanks. I'm glad, i was honestly pretty worried. My goal is like: I want to make Enough Money, and never work overtime if i can help it. So like, the big firm hustle is unappealing to me, i just want to like, have a job somewhere you know?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

I had to do one (1) business tax return for a class, in a group, and felt like completely breaking down for most of the last week. i'm starting to understand why no one who goes into tax seems happy.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

That's fair on all accounts. I still think i'll probably stay away from it, if only because i don't like the idea of having an expected part of the year where i'd basically be doing overtime, all the time.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

I did a bit, which is why my intended path is more focused on government accounting and parts of the govt where I can broadly avoid having to do any kind of overtime, which I know exists in a good few spaces -even certain parts of the IRS.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

yeah. any regimented new job will do that. i worked at the post office and it took me 8 months to attain basic competence at sorting mail and hauling boxes to where i felt like i was at a good position.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

it always fuckin sucks to get a new job with something you haven't done a ton of before. hell, i've had similar experiences going from sorting books and moving boxes at a thrift store to sorting mail and moving boxes at USPS. (hopefully, moving boxes will be out of my job description in december when i have my degree.) It sounds like- unless there's other stuff you haven't said- you're getting alright feedback and people aren't like, hammering you?

It just takes time to learn stuff. And while you're learning stuff, it makes it harder to do your regular work because you're taking on the mental overhead of absorbing a bunch of new information. I don't know that the solution is to push yourself harder. Be patient with yourself, it takes time.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

I'm coming up on graduating as an accounting major. I've kind of hosed up and not really done much in the way of job seeking, internships, ect. All the jobs i've had in the past are stuff you just kind of Apply To: Retail, the post office, ect. Also, my grades are about as poo poo as you can get and still graduate, because of a wide variety of mental health issues/life poo poo/i'm bad at doing poo poo on my own perogative in my free time (i'm mostly fine in a work environment), ect. though i know for the most part people don't care about that too much.

What should I be doing so that hopefully I won't have 6 months of unemployment before landing something? Ideally I'd like to get something where I don't have to do overtime. I'm angling to apply to a lot of govt accounting-adjacent jobs about that, though obviously, i suspect one of those won't come through any time soon because of the shutdown threat and also just how long it takes for government hiring procedures.

I'm in the bay area, if it matters.

Nea fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 3, 2023

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

I have a resume, I worked with Parahexavotal on here to fix it up. My ideal role is probably getting into the IRS or something else very specialized, I have to admit I'm hardly truly in love with accounting- i just like it well enough and that's what my degree ended up being in. But i don't particularly mind most types of work that are, more or less, broadly repetitive but with the occasional interesting thing happen to shake it up a bit. I've thought about going into audit work but frankly it seems quite intense and also I've only had one class in it, so probably not something that would be good to jump into in my first actual role.

I'll look into part time accounting roles, I have enough time this semester that I can probably fit it in.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Azrial posted:

I assume almost everyone here came out of the wake of 2008, so it's a different perspective. There is an accounting shortage right now you'll be fine. Apply for staff accountant jobs in industries you want to work in long term. As far as overtime, if you don't want to advance past senior accountant that's fine, if you want to grow your career it's still an old school mentality. People like me are trying to change it but fighting the mentality that working long hours is important for management isn't going well.

That's fine. I only really want enough to live comfortably on. I don't want to be a boss or even management.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Annointed posted:

Any of you got tips on how best to coordinate with clients to ensure people pay on time? I been trying with nonsttop emails but unsure how best to ensure people pay or inform that payment is arriving to make sure my boss' quikbooks are accurate to the company funds.

I only officially got my accounting bachelor's a few days ago but i'm pretty sure that it's your boss' responsibility to make sure that he's not putting in payments before they arrive as cash on hand because that is Mega Fraudulent.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

I forgot to say i. Here, but i got a seasonal tax prep job. Not my ideal, but i had like a 2.4 gpa and the boss seems calm and reasonable, plus they're paying for me to get the California specific tax prep license, which will hopefully look good on a resume. I think that'll make getting a second job easier, and once ive got a year or two of experience i know people stop caring about grades.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

i managed to land a good job in tax prep and while i'm sure it's going to be a nightmare in a few weeks as stuff continues to pile further and further up...

I'm mostly anxious because like, my boss respects my time. And gives me good feedback. And makes sure to note when i've improved on something. And I like my coworkers. And overall this is the first job i've had where i don't feel exploited in my entire life. i'm being paid 25/hr, which isn't the best, but is 9 bucks an hour more than i've ever been paid for a job before.

Tax season is over in april! I have to roll the dice again and i don't think i'm going to get this lucky again! I do'nt want to go back to job searching, i found one good one and i feel like i'm going to be miserable at the next one.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Mush Mushi posted:

Do you know for sure that it’s a seasonal role? Do they do any bookkeeping or other work year round or only a tax shop? Unless you’ve been gunning for the CPA and a specific type of role for the past 4 years, just learn as much as you can and get a good reference out of it if nothing else. For what it’s worth I started out in international tax and I do have some regrets about not getting a wide variety of generalist experience early in my career.

Try not to sweat it too much. The vast majority of people I’ve worked with in tax were nothing but supportive. Of course, there will be exceptions but they are just that. It’s the on call nature of client work and / or a loss of interest in the subject that generally weeds people out.

Yeah. it's a small, local firm with 9 or so employees that primarily does individual tax, with only a few people working on estates/trusts/corps/ect. There's some bookkeeping, but it's all done by the current bookkeeper and they're not looking to take on more at this time. I'm extremely not gunning for the CPA and i'm hoping that good reference will work out, yeah.

unless there's a ridiculous amount of extensions this year it's probably part time starting in may.

Though, for what it's worth I told my boss 'hey, i'm going to need to start looking for jobs soon, but i'll be here at least through the 15th' and he asked me if i'd be interested in staying on a while longer, which i think is a pretty good sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Well, the tax season is ending and I've procrastinated too long on applying for jobs. I did quite like tax prep work, and they're keeping me on part time after the season is over, but I need full time work to pay my bills.

Does anyone know anyone in the South Bay Area (San Jose and surrounding environs) who's hiring that might be willing to take a shot on someone with low levels of experience? I can provide a good recommendation from my current workplace, which seems quite happy with me.