Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023
I got fired from my first accounting internship after a month from dumb mistakes. I felt like a fool. Maybe the next one will work out better. I really liked that job too. I am going to graduate soon. I just want a job where I can sit down while working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023
One thing I am struggling with is that I don't have a car and use public transportation here in Chicago and I will meet with a firm at a job fair and that is a deal breaker for them or they are based way out in the suburbs with no transit access. I went to a job fair today and the firm said that there used to be bus service in front of their office but no longer but they would not consider making the role remote. I wouldn't be able to get a car until I got a job but even then I am not sure if I would want one because there is no place to park it in my neighborhood and Chicago is aggressive in tickets in order to raise revenue. Chicago's government doesn't seem to want people to have cars.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Good Citizen posted:

I also worked audit in Chicago and you absolutely need a car. All the housing and the firms are in downtown, but basically all of the clients are out in the suburbs. Sucks but that’s just how the city works. I left because I was so goddam sick of the hour plus commute every day

I don't know what I am going to do then.

I was thinking of just not doing audit and doing tax or being a staff accountant instead.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Good Citizen posted:

Oh certainly and I don’t think anyone here would disagree with that. Obviously we’re only hearing your side of the story but firing any entry level person who seems to care and is making a good faith effort to learn is hosed

This same thing happened to me about a year and a half ago. It sucks but those people suck worse and I'm sure we'll both land somewhere better.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023
I have an interview Tuesday with the California Franchise tax board as a tax auditor

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Gabriel Grub posted:

Ask if you get the horns and pitchfork on the first day, or if you have to complete training first.

As long as I get a chair and sensible hours, I am good.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Ungratek posted:

This should result in a thread ban, at minimum

I take it you have not had good experiences with this organization

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Gabriel Grub posted:

All of the feverish right wing stereotypes about the IRS are actually true of the California FTB.

Yeah I'm just getting out of school I don't actually have any experience and accounting. The organization was at a job fair and it was one of many that I applied for because I need a job really bad but I also have some issues with standing up all day and don't want to leave Illinois.

Looking more into it

Why is California so aggressive in giving its tax laws extraterritorial reach?

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023
I'm looking for a job now and I've noticed a few companies are posting job ads without naming the company. I saw one for "Leading Manufacturer - Downtown Chicago"

Why do they do this and should I regard this as a red flag?

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023
I got the job! And I am done with training! Its the first job I have had like it and I enjoy the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Annointed posted:

Congratulations! I hope you got paid a living wage!

It's probably better if I don't tell you exactly what it is but I do get paid a living wage, albeit not as much as I might get at an accounting firm but the hours are fantastic. Solid 40 hours a week with no overtime and a nice chair.