Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

Ribsauce posted:

It gets better. You'll be talking to people and doing more interesting stuff soon enough. One thing I have noticed is accountants like to complain (myself included). Whenever you reading Accounting Today, the Interim Report (or whatever you local cpa mag is) half the articles are airing out complaints about every gd thing on Earth. Whatever, we all have jobs, can't say that for too many industries right now

Yeah I noticed that as well. It reminded me of teenage suburban girls. They live stable, mundane lives so it's like they have to bitch about a bunch of crap that doesn't even effect them to make up for it.

Any CMA's on the board? I'm considering that as a backup career. I find the managerial accounting in my MBA program to be much more cerebral (we do a bunch of CMA test problems for homework). Please share your experiences and thoughts.

I did some financial accounting work for a while and absolutely hated knowing what I'd be doing that day based on what day of the month it was. I feel like I'd end up going senile before I turned 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

puchu posted:

I liked management accounting classes, instead of looking just at numbers you actually have to put them in to a greater context which is way more interesting

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

hellboundburrito posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but most MBA programs want you to have some work experience prior to enrollment.

The more reputable programs require it. The average MBA age has been getting younger and younger though. More people are pursuing the degree earlier in their careers. I don't understand it, but some people try to pick up an MBA right out of undergrad, and there are programs that let them.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
Can anyone point me towards, or tell me some information about, a career in forensic accounting?

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
Has anyone taken the CMA exam? I'd like to know how much study time you invested.