Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i think this is the right thread? if not, you can just tell me to gently caress off or whatever.

in any case, got a bit of a situation here.

i recently took on a second, salaried job. i just started the new one yesterday and need to fill out a new w4. question two states i should complete the step if i have two jobs or am married filing jointly. i am the former only, and am filing as single.

however, i do not want my new employer to know i am working two jobs. how should i correctly fill this form out so that my jobs do not know about one another? given i am not married filing jointly, if i chose any of the three options for that question will tip off the employer. and i just can't have that happen.

how do i make this work? is it possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so to be perfectly clear, check BOTH 2a and fill out 4c. i can't simply just fill in 4c, correct?

sorry for this silly question. i just need to make absolutely sure of this. and i don't want to commit perjury obviously, so.

e: ohhhhhh, i think i'm confused because the online form they sent me has a checkbox, whereas the real form does not. i think that means i can bypass the box on their online form? yea, i was able to preview it and it's all fine.

thank you for your help!

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 17, 2022

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

goal: to see if i need an accountant. if so, how to find the best one.

context: i am not an accountant. i am not a business owner. i do not have a stock portfolio outside of how my 403(b) is invested. my wife and i do not have a kid. i am not a homeowner.

i do not believe i am a complicated taxpayer in the grand scheme of things.

moreover, i've used an accountant since 2016 and it seems to have worked out well. however, in the summer of 2022 i moved to a new state and got a second job. in december 2022, i got married. in april 2023, my wife quit her job and decided to start working again only a month ago.

so things have changed, and i just want to reevaluate.

two questions:

a) should i be looking for an accountant in my new state? for context, my two, full-time, remote jobs are in nyc and ca, but i live in az. my current accountant is in nyc. they charge $600 to handle my taxes each year. i like them and they have all of my records, but am willing to move if this relationship no longer makes financial sense for me.

b) should i file separately or should we file jointly? i've seen differing advice here. in all, i make ~$274k/yr, whereas she was making $90k/yr before she left in april 2023. now, she's basically just doing a side-gig at $35/hr.

any help is greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!