Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bean Bandit
Jan 25, 2003

I work in "industry". It literally means that I don't work for a CPA firm i.e. public accounting. You're gonna have an easier time if you start out working for a CPA firm, but in my state you do not need public accounting experience to become a CPA.

I can't say that I really love my job as an accountant but I don't hate it either. It's hardly a "soul crushing" career like some have described it but yes it can be quite dull at times. It's going to be what you make of it.

My advice if you're serious, is to get an internship somewhere and then become a CPA. Be warned though that passing the CPA exam requires a huge time and energy commitment and not everyone can do it.

Accounting will almost never be thrilling work but it can be rewarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean Bandit
Jan 25, 2003

I went straight into industry right before I graduated. While working there I earned my master's and now some years later I would like to move into public accounting, preferably with a small regional firm. Is there anything that can help me or is it too late for me to think about public accounting? Are firms interested in hiring people like me who have accounting experience, just not in public accounting?

Bean Bandit fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 9, 2010