Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

pocket pool posted:

My wife is currently a CPA working as an auditor at a Big Four accounting firm. Recently, she has really wanted to find a new job, primarily due to a really ridiculous amount of extra hours, travel and the general stress associated with the job. Reading through the thread I see that a ton of this is kind of "just the way it is", but I'd really like to help her find something that reduces the amount of stress she is dealing with.

Has anyone else gone through a similar situation and found something that thought was significantly improved? Was there some other change, job-wise, that you went through that improved things?

(Note, I'm totally dumb regarding the field, haha. So, I may not be able to have any meaningful conversation about it.)

Does she have like no idea what she wants to do? A CPA working for a Big 4 isn't exactly lacking in opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
There's almost no chance it will count towards the CPA.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Umbriago posted:

Do accountants deal with corporate bankruptcies, insolvencies, liquidations and businesses being put into administration or receivership? Trying to turn around failing companies and keep them afloat seems like it would be really interesting.

They are probably involved but that sounds more like a law thing.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

St1cky posted:

I'm looking into switching going back for my Masters in Accounting and trying to get a job at a local accounting firm. I did my undergrad in economics and took a couple of basic accounting courses for my minor. How far into my masters would I need to be before I'd get hired by a firm? I'm currently working full-time in an unrelated field and looking to go to a part-time program.

Edit: To clarify, I will be trying to get my CPA, but I need to a lot more accounting courses to satisfy the requirements here.

It's been a while, but I remember firms/companies saying Intermediate II and Auditing is what they were mainly looking for. So not that far in to be honest.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

The thing that has helped me the most is macros. VLookups never seemed that useful for me, but macroing a routine action has pretty much saved me 2-3 hours of work everyday if not more.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

You can't do prepaid because you aren't prepaying anything. (to sukashi)

I don't see why you would put anything into prepaid since you know how much you'll be paying at that point. (scribe jones)

I do accounting for apartment complexes, and utility billing is the loving bane of my existence. The A/P side sucks, the gl side sucks, and the A/R side sucks. It's also cute when they go "Oh yeah there's a bunch of accounts we never bothered billing you for. Pay us or we cut off all your units."

Harry fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 14, 2011

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Chow-King posted:

Get a job in AP or AR to get your foot in the door. At least you can save up some money to start studying for your CPA. That will be your best bet going forward. The CPA will open doors for you.

Pretty much this, or an accounting clerk position. You can pretty much pick someone up off the street to do these jobs, so having an accounting degree will be a bonus. The pay won't be phenomenal, but a paycheck is a paycheck.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

We took over a property about 2 weeks ago and I have been asking the previous management company for their ending trial balance, and ytd income statement. I finally got them today (as if they had to do any real amount of work on them), and the trial balance was off by 2 million dollars and showed there was never any RE at any point. 10 minute later, I get a call from the owner saying he needs some current financial statements for a refinance he's been working on. Who the gently caress switches management companies during a god drat refinance?

Also, a district manager wanted to reclass a whole years worth of water heater purchases to unit upgrades. Like, what the hell?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

hellboundburrito posted:

This sounds like a pretty interesting situation. I agree it is strange to switch management companies in the middle of a refinance, and that fact plus the TB being off by so much would make me a bit suspicious. Whatever bank or company he is working with in this refinancing deal will also probably be a bit suspicious, and whether he switched or not I can't imagine any situation where they wouldn't want audited financials before moving forward.

In terms of that reclass, what's the deal with that? Is he trying to move it from fixed asset additions to capital improvements, or from fixed asset additions to repairs and maintenance?

This is mainly dealing with expenses. Due to the way this company setup (and most apartment management companies are this way), you have someone on site that collects the bills. Being property managers and not accountants, they're like "durr let's put this ceiling fan under expense code 45623 (water heaters)" when there's a nice expense code 45324 for ceiling fans. So at the month end close, the district/regional managers go through and are like "this needs to be moved here" and you plug in the JE.

Unfortunately, district managers are not accountants also, so they come up with some pretty stupid poo poo as well. This example I gave, she probably just wasn't paying attention at all to what she highlighted.

For the financials and the refinance, the TB is probably off because someone from the old management company just wasn't paying attention as well. In the property management business, a lot of the staff accountants don't really have a degree in accounting. Instead, they just worked their ways up from leasing agent and have proven themselves not to be a thief or crazy (there's more to it of course, that was just partially a joke). I also think they switched accounting software midway in April. But yeah, there's some pretty shady owners that ask for some peculiar things.

While I'm talking about this, never ever pay your rent/security deposit with a money order.

Harry fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 1, 2011

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

19 o'clock posted:

In short: when I wrote software to perform our data entry automatically it was scrapped and explained to me that "we don't wanna put anyone out of a job." I guess the 40hrs a week thing is hardwired into humans or something and we can never ever get away from it for fear of heresy.

Uh, so what? If the management didn't want to fire someone or significantly reduce their hours what's the matter?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

hellboundburrito posted:

Put it this way - you'll be a lot more attractive to prospective employers if the exam is done, because they won't have to give you time off to study and they won't have to pay for your exams or give you a bonus for passing it (if that particular firm offers such incentives).

I'm pretty sure most firms give bonuses if you have it pass already. It's really worth it for them, since they know they'll have a CPA in a year.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

hellboundburrito posted:

And speaking of Quickbooks, I'm in the midst of my first experience with it right now. As someone who normally audits companies with more complex accounting systems, it is making my life harder than I would have expected given its limited capabilities. That being said, maybe the person who uses it just isn't very good with it and is blaming it on the software...
It's not the most robust system ever, but the person probably doesn't know what they're doing.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Turkeybone posted:

So, I'm about to finish babby's first accounting course, Financial Accounting. The professor has lots of credentials, and I'm getting an A or A+ in the course, so I guess I'm wondering what kinds of jobs would I be qualified to take? I assume the most basic/entry level kinds of things, but I'm just curious where to get started.
If you're talking about industry, any basic/entry level accounting job can be done by someone off the street.
For a public internship/job, they tended to want you to have Intermediate I.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Creel posted:

I recently got a job but it's not really what I want. I want to change jobs, but I don't want to make any enemies by leaving so soon. The position I have isn't what I wanted, it's a highly specialized position that has no use outside of the Bank I work for($35,000/yr).
I may have an opportunity being an Assistant Controller for a machined parts manufacturer ($45,000/yr)and I want to go for it, but I'd hate to quit my job after just 4 months, the employer is HUGE in the community and I can just see every interview for the rest of my life "Oh wow, you worked at Bank XXXX, why did you leave so soon?"

Should I suck it up and just work for a year or so then head out or should I go now?

for reference: I've got 3 years as a bookkeeper for a law firm and have a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting. Studying for the CPA Exam and will take it in the summer time (Need 3 more credit hours in the spring time to be eligible).
$45,000 a year is pretty low for an assistant controller position. Sounds more like a Staff Accountant position just from the pay. Also, from what I've heard that accountants that have Law firm experience are pretty in demand.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

forum id posted:

If you are boring enough to be a lawyer you are probably boring enough to be an accountant...but are you stupid and insipid enough? :smug: :troll: :lol:

Something goes wrong? Better bring in someone to identify the problem. Then bring someone in to fix said problem, which doesn't in fact get fixed so you have to bring in guy 2 again (who might have been wrong in the first place).

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Tennis Ball posted:

I'm currently an MIS major. At my university MIS and accounting majors share a couple of required classes. This results in me being able to get a double major in accounting with almost no extra time spent.

Is there a demand for MIS/Accounting majors? My main reason for doing it (besides being trivial investment time wise) is because I am fearful of the future and want to make sure I get a job.

With a MIS/accounting major you'll be looking at IT audit work and SOX compliance things.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Tennis Ball posted:

I have a a permanent MIS "internship" (See: job) right now. I'm pretty reluctant to leave since it pays pretty well and all of the experience is relevant to my degree (Not shoddy "make copies of these papers" type intern stuff.).

How bad of a position does that put me in?
Most of the stuff you're doing now in this internship is probably the same as what you'd be doing with a MIS/accounting degree at a Big 4.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Why finance if he wants to go into tax?

I'd go with MIS< but I don't think it would make too huge a difference. Your main goal is to become a CPA candidate asap and then passing.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Moneyball posted:

I was under the impression that the next 30 hours had to be at the masters level.

Go to your states CPA board and look at what the requirements are. If you can, find the actual application you'll be turning in. My state board seemed to keep things rather well hidden for whatever reason. I'm sure it's a YMMV type situation, but the application support team was very friendly and helpful when I emailed them.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Just graduate, get a job, and study for the CPA. Don't get too far ahead of yourself now.

Also, the MBA/JD combo is pretty worthless.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Moneyball posted:

As an update to my previous post, it turned out to be a new Liberty Tax franchise, and the owner is paying for the books this year.

There are only so many spots, so I hope I'm selected, but I'm confident I will be. The owner graduated the same college and degree program as I'm in, and I'm definitely showing desire for the position.

I contacted my school and was told it counts as an internship, so I get three credits out of it, so I'm psyched about that. However, I don't have a specific desire to get into tax accounting, though I'm not against the idea. For a summer internship (or job) should I use this experience to find a position in tax planning, or go a different route?

Having experience filling out tax returns will not hurt you in any situation. In the very least, it will show a future employer that you're able to show up to work and not get fired.

In fact, you can then spin it as "I've done tax work and found it wasn't really my thing. I'd much rather do [whatever]" and the interview will most like respond with "Oh yes, I couldn't stand tax."

Harry fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 4, 2012

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Are you looking towards actual CPA work? Like auditing or tax? Or are you looking for industry work?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

What's the difference between the two? Honestly someone looking at your resume will probably just see accounting and go from there.

Why are you looking for a finance degree of some sort? I mean when someone says "Corporate Finance" they generally mean accounting, you know that right?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Are you looking to go into public accounting specifically? If not, you could probably get by with an accounting certificate and your degree right now. I work in industry and spend quite a bit of time just proof reading various written reports.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Look at basically any community college, they probably have some program. I'd imagine it involves like Financial accounting, managerial accounting, intermediate I & II, and maybe corporate tax.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Democratic Pirate posted:

I just don't know if I'm signing up for a few years of sifting through excel files daily to find errors or if the work is a bit more engaging.

Accounting probably isn't for you if you don't want to be looking through excel files for the rest of your life.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

ThirdPartyView posted:

IMO, the hardest class of the Accounting curriculum was Intermediate II, not Intermediate I (which was 80% rehashed from introductory financial accounting).

Some universities have Intermediate I, II, III. So his intermediate might go up to bonds and maybe leases.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Democratic Pirate posted:

So I'm recruiting with all the Big 4 and have to choose which one I like best. Anybody have horror stories/advice?

Please don't say its just about the people.

I've heard E&Y isn't that highly regarded in their audit role compared to others, that's about all I know.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

My general impression was that it's either the easier hours + government benefits, or you work there for a little bit and then leave to become a tax consultant.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Do companies really care that much about public accounting when they have that there? I really just don't see how someone who has worked as a staff auditor for 1-2 years at a big 4 is seen as more qualified than a cpa who's worked as a senior accountant/assistant controller for 2-3 years.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I don't think it's a matter of qualifications. Personally I think that Big 4 experience is indicative of someone's ability to manage their time and heavy workloads. I'd rather hire someone who has had to get through that meat grinder than someone who hasn't. Not because they are better at accounting, but because they probably know how to make the most out of the least time-wise. At least in theory. In reality, there are some really dumb people in every level of this profession, including those with Big 4 experience. But still, it's just another checkbox on the resume that might indicate some semblance of competence.

So what? Do people think industry doesn't have crunch times as well?

Edit: I guess a better way to put it is that since the hirer is in industry and presumbaly have crunch time as well, I don't see why Big 4 is suddenly a requirement.

Harry fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 7, 2012

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

How many accounting credits do you have? Can you sit for your states CPA? I think Deloitte is known as the government auditing big 4.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Well starting for a big 4 is something like $50,000 with a $5,000 bonus when you pass the CPA exam. Accounting is such a catchall type thing it'll be hard to guess what you're making 3-4 years after school.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

abagofcheetos posted:

Are these dinner dates usually one on one, or with a group? I was just invited to one for the night before my internship interview, but it listed both the audit and tax/advisory managers, plus I cant imagine they would waste time on just me for an internship.

10 canindates = 10 free meals sounds about right to me if the company lets you get away with it.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

When normal people say finest jeans they mean no holes in them.

As for intermediate accounting, I'd imagine someone at that table will have had a C in the class.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I live in Texas and pretty much everyone drug tests. I believe the Big 4 do here as well, not 100% sure on that.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I'm surprised anything remotely related to auditing doesn't require a drug test, especially a Big 4. Don't most large corporations and all government audits require it?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Carlton Banks posted:

I'm in governmental auditing (state level) and I've never had to take a drug test.

Mainly meant Fed.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

If you have a BS in Math, the CPA/MBA path are (should be) the same thing.

CIA wouldn't help you at all, and a CMA isn't that popular in the US. I think it has some kind of requirement like being in management for two years as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Really just reading any of the accounting scandals from the 90's on should make you question auditors. Hell, some girl at Grant Thornton that I was talking to said you never want to say the fraud word because that means you lose a client.