Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

Makin blunts disappear like Im houdini
In my experience GPA doesn't matter at all unless you're trying to go Big 4 because Big 4 only recruits out of college. My GPA was not great at all, but I still got a job working for a small CPA firm. I have friends working at Big 4 that quit recently quit for new years, and some that are about to quit. Big 4 really does work you to death, and I've heard from enough people at People Working Constantly that they still place the new college recruits in conference rooms to cut down on the costs of cubicles.

Here is my take on Big 4 vs Small CPA firm. I'm making less overall than someone at a large CPA Firm, but I'm making more per hour than someone at a big CPA firm. The difference in income isn't that big after taxes. I'm not into working more then 50 hours a week, plenty of people I know at PWC work from 8-7, and work Saturdays too. I never wanted to work for a corporation, nor do I want to work for one long term. Most Big 4 jobs just land you working for a bigger corporation, if that's what you want then go Big 4.

As for people pointing out that the job sucks and is boring. Yeah, it's work and most of the time you're going over f/s. Would you rather be working full time at a minimum wage job at retail or something else? There are a bunch of things I would rather be doing, but I get paid enough that I don't care.

edit: I'd like to point out if your GPA was bad like mine, you will need to go the route of getting your CPA exam passed first if you want to be something other than a staff accountant

Afro Thunder fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

I used Rogers instead of Becker. Becker gives you way too much stuff thats virtually never seen tested. Both are good, although Rogers is cheaper. I also used yaeger crams and they were very helpful.

Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

Just posting to echo the sentiment that a masters in accounting is just for people that had undergrad degrees that didn't give them enough units to take the CPA exam. Most CPAs I know at higher levels have their MBAs but the few that I know that have MAs had undergrad majors like marketing/advertising/business with the bare minimum of accounting units.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the FCPA? I've been looking into going into Forensic Accounting.