Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

fuseshock posted:

Speaking of busy season, one more week. :suicide:

Not gonna lie, I don't miss this feeling right after Christmas...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

fuseshock posted:

I need some advice.

I've been assigned to a main client in audit, for the past year or so doing primarily quarter work. Because of great budgeting, they blew the budget by adding a 1st year to interim and year-end work, and thus they moved my senior into a "managing" role, and tapped me to become "senior", when I'm in reality still a second year.

So now next week is year-end field work, and I have a a pile of interim workpapers with comments. I find out today from a friend, that I "stole" their intern, now finding out that my first year has been replaced with two new winter interns. Words cannot express my frustration and anger at being blindsided right now.

But what can I do or what can those interns work on besides getting lunch and dinner that can be productive for the engagement? I have four weeks to get the audit done and archived, with entirely new accounting people at the Company (different than those at interim).

I can't even count the number of times I had qualified associates replaced by interns or tax rotators. You just have to roll with the punches. Put some pressure on your associates, if you still have any, to get them to use the interns to help them with their own work. Aside from that, coaching is key - there have to be some tasks you can set aside some time up front with them to coach them to do and let them have at it. Data entry, vouching, ticking and tying, proofing FS or other documents, rolling forward workpapers, organizing confirmations and binders, etc. Unfortunately in this situation you have to invest some time of your own to set them up with something, but eventually you can hit a stride where 30 minutes of coaching can keep them busy for a couple of hours.

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Bloody Queef posted:

Worthless as in both most mind-numbing job in the world AND the feeling of what you're doing literally has no worth. None of my audit friends have found any material differences in the financial statements of the companies we audit. I have, however, found several in tax provision review.

I do agree with your first sentence wholeheartedly, but I will say in my five years in public I found plenty of material misstatements. That being said, those discoveries didn't make me feel like I accomplished anything special (if anything, I felt like I created more work for everyone involved, or was unjustly annoyed if my staff found a misstatement) and I ended up leaving public anyway to pursue a career in law enforcement. A year later, I am still convinced I made the right decision.