Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

N.N. Ashe posted:

Hi I'm a undergrad student in accounting and I am really interested in helping small businesses thrive. I'm not exactly sure how to approach this though. Whenever I hear someone give advice on starting a business the person inevitably says "Always talk to good accountant." I want to be that accountant. Is anyone that guy? Can anyone give me advice on reaching that goal?

First I'll sat that this is mostly a stereotype people get from movies. "I have a good accountant" is an easy way for them to explain away a complex situation in a way people will (kind of) understand. That being said, there are lots of ways for accountants to make an impact on their organization. Just don't expect to be the go-to guy who can solve every financial problem as most organizational problem solving is a group effort.

A) Go into corporate tax. You can help businesses structure themselves in a way which minimizes the tax impact of their actions

B) Internal audit - Not very glamorous, but creating and enforcing internal control policies helps an organization prevent fraud and operate more efficiently. Also a great way to learn about each of the different parts of a large organization.

C) Consulting - Not what you think of when they say "Accountant" in the movies, but there are a bunch of different lines of consulting which range from IT to human resources to "The Bobs" from Office Space. Most of which are intended to help businesses meet their goals

Hope this helps. Good luck in your studies/career decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Tiax Rules All posted:

So, as someone who is getting a BA next year in something totally unrelated to accounting, with no experience in the field, should my next step be to apply for an accounting masters program?

This should be helpful -
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3301097

edit: reread that post and maybe not so helpful if you aren't considering the CPA...

RTB fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 9, 2010

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

TheChimney posted:

Does any one know where I can find a good outline of the various career paths a CPA can take?

The AICPA has a lot of useful info on their web site.
http://www.aicpa.org/Career/CareerPaths/Pages/CareerPaths.aspx

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

seymore posted:

Go on the interview. See what they say. At the same time make your inquiries inside your current firm using the proper channels.

This. But make sure not to tell anyone in your firm that another firm has contacted you. If you like what the other firm has to say then transition your audit work to someone else and jump ship. It's your career after all.

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Hey everyone - If you're looking for career/job search advice, check out the podcast I host called The Abacus Show.

Each episode is an interview with an experienced accounting professional, industry thought leader, or expert on a specific topic. It's mostly US focused, but a lot of the career/skills advice is applicable to everyone working in accounting. You can listen to every episode from Seasons 1-2 (all free). Enjoy!