Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky Sven
Oct 26, 2004

Desertfox621 posted:

I'm graduating in May, and I will have my CPA education and experience requirements done. Georgia lowered the reqs to one year public or private (Go Georgia!) so as long as I pass the exam I will be a CPA when I'm done.

The only problem is my gpa is sub 3.0. Will this hamstring my job search? I'm looking to go into audit...just not big 4. What's the best strategy to reach out to smaller firms?

I don't mean to be a buzzkill but the gpa will definitely hurt, but get the CPA exam done as soon as possible. That may offset the lower gpa.

Use your school's career services office. Depending on how you have gotten to know the accounting faculty over the years, talk with them they may know alumni who work at firms who can help you out.

I'm not sure how much you have your heart set on financial statement audits but I'd also look at jobs with the IRS, they should be hiring revenue agents. The IRS won't be so hellbent on the GPA as some/(most?) public accounting firms are.

Unlucky Sven fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky Sven
Oct 26, 2004

Tiax Rules All posted:

Is there a distinct hierarchy among masters accounting programs? Will employers still be willing to hire me if I get a degree from some random sketchy (but accredited) program?

As you look at Accounting Programs try to figure out who recruits at the school. For instance if you really want to work for a public accounting firm make sure that the firms have events scheduled/attend career fairs/recruit from that school. It will be harder to get into that firm(especially the bigger firms) if they have no relationship with the school.

Unlucky Sven
Oct 26, 2004
Just adding that my firm has really shrunk the amount of schools it recruits from.

The following applies to my firm itmay not apply to others: Also while its important that the school you go to is recruited by a firm it maybe equally as important to find out what offices of that firm recruit at your school. The more well known your school is the easier chance you have of getting anon local office. For instance, say you go to a small school in Missouri and you want to get into the chicago office. Does the Chicago office send people to the school or only st Louis? If it's only st Louis then you may have a harder chance to get into the Chicago office unless you are a super star. Now you'll be able to transfer to chicago but you won't be able to start there.

You'll find "regional" offices are usually staffed by students who graduated from local schools while bigger offices usually are more diverse but still usually well known/larger state schools.

Unlucky Sven fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 4, 2011

Unlucky Sven
Oct 26, 2004

abagofcheetos posted:

Would something like this look good on a resume? http://cwfphilly.org/

edit: I have no idea if I want to do tax in the future, so assume I am applying to a non-tax accounting position.

B4 always like to see community service in resumes, however is it going to guarantee you a job? No, not even in tax. To recruiters, volunteering shows you as a well rounded person. Ultimately it won't hurt so if you have the time I say do it.

Unlucky Sven
Oct 26, 2004

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Thanks a lot, this is helpful. By any chance do you know when you would expect an offer after the interviews? Like do they offer then and there or maybe a wait a few days?

This really depends on the firm. Some firms will discuss and make offers that day. Other firms will discuss a few days later to allow everyone time who talked with you to write a review about you.