Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I would be more thinking become an estate executor and rake in the bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Moneyball posted:

I got a 45 in BEC.

I majored in Philosophy and could have done better than this on a first pass without studying.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Xero is the SAAS equivalent of dumping a shoebox full of receipts on your accountant.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
My tax professor said that as long as there is a Congress, tax accountants will always have jobs.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I'm doing some individual tax returns for clients this year. Any recommendations for small time tax preparer software. I was looking at Intuit.

Also, I need to get going on CE. There's so much out there, none of it super compelling for the price. I'm on my own for CE so "just get your company to pay for Becker" doesn't help. My only real requirement is that there be some courses covering international issues and expat taxation.

I was also wondering if anyone has any experience learning coding for CE credit.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
All right, so Big 4 discussion brings out 20 people to the thread.

What the gently caress do you folks do for CPE?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Anyone have a practice overseas? I want to get some liability insurance now that the number of my clients is ramping up, but I'm not sure where to look for coverage outside of the United States. Do AICPA or anything like that offer international coverage?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
It's basically just an abridged tax code. A good reference, but not something to learn tax from.

A little disappointed by Murderball's snarky reply, I'd like something to freshen my knowledge up that isn't a 300 dollar loose leaf textbook for college students.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I'm on my own for CPE, so I use Becker. It's 400 bucks for an annual subscription, but they have frequent sales as well. Has everything you need to satisfy whatever requirements you have (state ethics, attest, etc.), and is on-demand so you can do them whenever you want. It also has a tracker, so when you fill out your license renewal paperwork all the necessary information is organized for you.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Whichever you choose, be sure to straddle a one year subscription so that you do you your 20 in year one and 60 in year two, or whatever your requirements are. No need to pay for two years.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
The Gleim mcqs were super hard compared to the real test, so I appreciated feeling like I had cheat codes on while sitting the CPA exam. If you get passing scores on the Gleim practice tests, you are probably overprepared.

If Dean Passard is still doing the videos for Gleim, I also recommend that. The Jamaican accent helps the dry material go down a little easier.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 13, 2019

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Japan is just handing out thick stacks of cash to all of my clients.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Moneyball posted:

Why are public firms so particular?

I had the same experience as you, and it's not being particular, it's that they have a set method of recruiting people that supplies all the bodies they need, and there is no need for these conservative risk averse people to look outside of that.

Managers are managers due to age and time in the firm. They have no experience of managing people older than them or from a different background. Your very presence represents an uncomfortable element that is completely unnecessary. They can just get a fresh 22 year old grad that they can for sure wring at least two busy seasons out of instead.

I hate to be so pessimistic, but nothing I have seen personally or in others' accounts contradicts this.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I use ProConnect. You pay per return, so it's actually free to poke around and make practice returns as long as you don't try to make a printable version or e-file something.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

Negatives: Zero job satisfaction as you immerse yourself in endless technocratic bullshit that no one else appreciates or understands, and achieve absolutely nothing with your brief time on earth.

This is how literally everyone deskbound worker feels about their job. It ain't special to accounting. Lmao at people looking for their job to fulfill them.

There are people who make a living doing things they find meaningful, but if you were that person you wouldn't be considering an accounting career, would you?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I have a full time US tax practice in Tokyo built on word of mouth. Pretty good market here.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

black.lion posted:

This sounds sorta fun, are most of your clients expats or...?

People on expat packages usually have their taxes taken care of as part of their package.

My clients are mostly long-term residents who have businesses here or dual nationals just trying to stay in compliance.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
My CPA was built on the back of a philosophy degree.

I had a lot of post grad units to do.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Covok posted:

He was also offended I charged him a deminis fee of $150 last year to amend his 1040 because he forgot a w-2 and "it was a ten second fix and should have been free" for me to amend his return, despite it entirely being his error.

I work for myself and therefore don't have anyone giving me targets to hit, but any client who said this to me would be told good luck, and I would not take them back in the future.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Lolololol. Love to see people get a taste of what expats who run a foreign business have to deal with every year.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Gatekeepers gonna gatekeep.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I use ProConnect and my price doubled recently. Getting squeezed on CPE too. Not sure why tax and accounting stuff is so expensive all of a sudden.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
The California ethics exam was horrible and I would have gladly taken FAR again instead of that bullshit. It is the most nitpicky, easy to fail thing, and can't really be studied for. You just have to pore over the "open book" for the minute passage that supports the correct answer.

And as a philosophy major the ethics exam has little to do with ethics. It's all rules gaming to technically comply with independence regulations. It's very easy for me to see why people cheat on it so much, despite the irony.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
If you fail the California ethics exam (passing score 90%) you have to take the whole thing over again. Which if you are doing it honestly, is a very harsh punishment.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
A raw data dump of crypto activity as if I'm supposed to know what any of that poo poo means.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
IT guys who run their own consulting business always have input on the process.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

black.lion posted:

I think the process involves having like a trust acct i spent 10 mins looking into it yrs ago and all i remember is when i realized how annoying itd be to setup i just decided nah

Theres a (semi)local cpa here who gives out predatory refund loans and then has client refunds directed to their account, sketchy af if u ask me

It's literally a subplot in Better Call Saul.

CPA ethics rules specifically and explicitly forbid it.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Ah, finally. A fellow philosopher-accountant.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Is California the only state that ties CPE due date to license expiration rather than calendar year?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
It's very funny to me because when I was changing careers at 32 and trying to get in at literally any public accounting firm, the partners looked like they wanted to vomit at the sight of someone over 25 trying to become a staff.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

19 o'clock posted:

that was the first thing i brought up when we talked. it sounds like these are tough times for some places lol

Ask them who they plan to sell out to when the time to retire comes and report back on what emotions you see in their eyes.

The very last place I interviewed at I had finished all my studies with straight As, had passed FAR, and was about to take and pass REG. It was down to me and a fresh grad with shaky English, and they went with the fresh grad.

Maybe smart for them in the end. Perhaps they saw the tight labor market coming and knew they'd need maximum leverage over every new staff they hired.

Oh, and I had already been working in industry for 3 years, so maybe that hurt me. Maybe industry to public just is never done, but I had to eat and entry level corporate jobs are less picky about people if they know debits and credits.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 19, 2023

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

PatMarshall posted:

Starting salaries aren't great, but your salary increases quickly as you move up, at least in my experience. You can definitely grind your way to a comfortable life in accounting.

The problem is that this is true for people with an accounting education even if they don't go through the public firm busy season BS. In fact, you don't have to specifically go into accounting at all.

Missing Donut posted:

Any firm with 50% annual turnover is not a well-run firm, and I would not base my opinion of the entire industry based on that.

I follow accounting Twitter and listen to accounting podcasts and half of what they talk about is no one going into accounting, and especially not into public. It's not an individual firm problem, it's endemic to the profession.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

When I got my first job at firm fresh out of uni in 2017 they were saying we might be among the last human accountants they hire because computer strong lmao

They've been telling young accountants this since the first electronic spreadsheet was invented in the 1970s.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
The best use case I've heard for AI so far is when your client sends you another dumbass email asking for the same documents you've already sent them before, the AI pulls the docs and composes a reply. But you still have to review it before sending to make sure it didn't pull the documents for someone else.

Another good one is automated tax planning, which is already being rolled out.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

I believe the advantages were that he could also do his side hobby business and claim a ton of stuff as expenses so that he overall tax paid would be lower

This is just tax evasion and nothing about doing it through an LLC makes it legal, regardless of what he's seen on TikTok.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Cost of Goods Sold is line 2 of Form 1120-S, which is what you (or rather his tax preparer) would be filing for an S-Corp.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I've found that small business owners tend to get way too detailed/philosophical about their expenses and end up using and creating tons of unnecessary expense accounts.

Also expensing things that are not expenses.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
"No, there is a page on your brokerage web site called 'Tax Center.' Please send me that instead of the 9,000 pages of wash sales you did last year."

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I know California now requires job listings to state a salary range, so employers are doing that "between one thousand and one million dollars" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
My season is still just starting because we're on the extended June 15 deadline here, but ProConnect is loving killing me this year. They want $95 per return for about 30 returns, which with the horrible exchange rate these days, is more like $130 from my perspective. It used to be $45.

I'm not sure what the strategy here is. Run small guys like me out of business to drive my clients into the arms of TurboTax? I'm more likely to just switch to Drake than give up altogether, although I'd really rather not change software, especially in the middle of tax prep season.

There were promotional emails earlier but the codes didn't work and they refuse to honor them.