Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garythetard
Jan 31, 2005

Tiax Rules All posted:

So, as someone who is getting a BA next year in something totally unrelated to accounting, with no experience in the field, should my next step be to apply for an accounting masters program?

Really depends on what you want to do. Master's would help if you want to be a CPA. Otherwise you might just be able to take a few accounting classes and get an entry level job doing some accounting stuff then move up from there. Surprisingly it seems like you can get a lot of jobs with even just an associates degree. Some IRS positions only require as little as six hours of accounting.

edit: I'm actually kind of in a same position. I have a previous degree and a business minor so for me I had only like 30 hours left for a BBA in accounting. Also because CPA elgibility here only requires 150 hours of school and 30 hours of upper division accounting it's easier for me to just get the BBA and take 3 or 4 extra accounting courses.

garythetard fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garythetard
Jan 31, 2005

If you go audit can you decide on any industry you want to specialize in or does it all just depend on what the firm needs at that time?

garythetard
Jan 31, 2005

Does anyone have any experience with second tier firms (RSM, GT, etc.) or local/regional firms? I imagine with second tier you would still have some great opportunities available to you if you ever decide to leave public accounting. Would a local/regional firm give you similar opportunities? Also in terms of just learning more about accounting would a smaller office with more access to partners really be that much better in helping you develop?